I hate moving! Or buying a house is fucking weird.

Lily Valley

On 8/3/2017 at 6:02 AM, Lily Valley said:

New Orleans is NOT Portland or Seattle.  I've lived downtown my whole adult life.  I'm in my fourth gentrifying neighborhood.  I could do the next gentrifying neighborhood, but it gets really exhausting.   Crime spikes, then taxes go up, then you have neighbors who don't say hello properly.  

I really won't know for sure what to look for until I get an offer, so right now I'm trying to keep an open mind.  The fiancee will be here this weekend to start actually looking and there will be .... compromise happening.

Also, you wanna make sure you're in an area that doesn't flood easily. (LOL! Good luck finding that!) ;)

Seriously though, take a look at social media to see streets that flooded this past weekend. Oh, and don't forget your driveway needs to be elevated and not just the house. My friends in Lakeview got three inches in their house in the back room, and the neighbors' cars parked on the street out front got flooded. However, their driveway was elevated enough so that their cars were okay.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm familiar with the weather down here.  I found a place.  Not raised as much as I'd like and I'll need to put ramp up in the driveway, but it's 2 story, so I can just go upstairs and wait if we flood badly.  Looks like minimal water intrusion through the frontdoor during pumpgate a few weeks ago.   Our inspection period ends today and and we're revising the offer a little bit because the house needs to be tented and that's going to delay the move and be a huge pain in the ass.   Not the tenting, but the cleanup afterwards.  I'm not going to move the animals (or my girlfriend) in after fumigation until everything has been scrubbed 100 times.

Wish us luck!  Looking to close on both places September 8.  In the meantime, I am a total stress wreck.  Inspection costs are killing me right now.

I got my condo! Unfortunately the previous tenants were fucking slobs, so it's not exactly my dream apartment at the moment, but nothing a little bleach can't fix. Well, that's a lie, actually, these people were seriously gross--there are at least 2 spots of dried chewed gum stuck to the floors and another stain where it was clear that a bowl of cereal was dropped and then just left there until the milk congealed and dried up into nastiness with some cereal bits still stuck in it. Don't even get me started on the toilet. I had a cleaner come by, but unfortunately I had mixed up my flight time so I had to cut the appointment short and she couldn't even begin to get to all of it.

But, once it's all clean, I think it will be fine! I have a nice list of small renos I want/need to do. Now I just need to pack!! Uhaul drive is set for next Saturday.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:35 AM, Lily Valley said:

Revised offer accepted!  Now moving into storage and packing to couch surf for a few weeks until major repairs are complete.  ARGH!  C'mon October!  By then I'll be living in the little dollhouse of my dreams.

Congrats on closing! The friends I mentioned earlier that are in Lakeview just got their drywall finished from the flood damage this past Saturday. What type of repairs do you have left to go in your place? 

On 9/4/2017 at 9:22 PM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Congrats on closing! The friends I mentioned earlier that are in Lakeview just got their drywall finished from the flood damage this past Saturday. What type of repairs do you have left to go in your place? 

I'm supposed to close on Friday.  We have some leaks from the balcony and we need to tent for drywood termites.  Also the carpet is ugly and needs to be removed.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, Starkess said:

I got my condo! Unfortunately the previous tenants were fucking slobs, so it's not exactly my dream apartment at the moment, but nothing a little bleach can't fix. Well, that's a lie, actually, these people were seriously gross--there are at least 2 spots of dried chewed gum stuck to the floors and another stain where it was clear that a bowl of cereal was dropped and then just left there until the milk congealed and dried up into nastiness with some cereal bits still stuck in it. Don't even get me started on the toilet. I had a cleaner come by, but unfortunately I had mixed up my flight time so I had to cut the appointment short and she couldn't even begin to get to all of it.

But, once it's all clean, I think it will be fine! I have a nice list of small renos I want/need to do. Now I just need to pack!! Uhaul drive is set for next Saturday.

Hey Congratulations!   I totally understand about cleaning.  My tenants left me garbage.  Bags and bags and bags of garbage.  They also let the lights get disconnected and the FRIDGE.  OMG!  I don't know if there's enough bleach in the world.  Been cleaning like a mad woman every night.  My closing got postponed.  Cross fingers that it's THIS friday!

@IheartTesla  Duly noted!  At least once the repairs are done!   

On 9/13/2017 at 11:33 AM, Lily Valley said:

Hey Congratulations!   I totally understand about cleaning.  My tenants left me garbage.  Bags and bags and bags of garbage.  They also let the lights get disconnected and the FRIDGE.  OMG!  I don't know if there's enough bleach in the world.  Been cleaning like a mad woman every night.  My closing got postponed.  Cross fingers that it's THIS friday!

@IheartTesla  Duly noted!  At least once the repairs are done!   

Ahh other people's garbage is so GROSS. Who does that??

It took me three solid days of cleaning, but my condo is mostly passable now. The kitchen is still a tad gross but I've done what I can. I've spent way too much money in the past few days furnishing the place. I knew it would be a lot, but my budget was way off. Oh well. I think I have one more IKEA trip tomorrow and then I'll be mostly done. Also trying to get my shower fixed so I don't have to take cold showers all winter. Everything is more expensive than I thought!! One plumber quoted me $550 to replace the cartridge. Say what?! Maybe he's just trying to hook up his fellow plumbers because when I got another guy who quoted $150 plus parts I didn't even quibble. 

We are still living out of 3 houses.  Cats have been moved, but we're in the terrifying time of in/ out cats NOT BEING LET OUT FOR 2-4 WEEKS.  I have done this before with success.  We moved cat 1 last week.  She escaped in less than 12 hours and came back (Thank God.).  

We also will have to get the house tented.  I still have to call the A.C. guy and scheduling all of this while working has been the opposite of fun.

We are still living out of 3 houses.  Cats have been moved, but we're in the terrifying time of in/ out cats NOT BEING LET OUT FOR 2-4 WEEKS.  I have done this before with success.  We moved cat 1 last week.  She escaped in less than 12 hours and came back (Thank God.).  

We also will have to get the house tented.  I still have to call the A.C. guy and scheduling all of this while working has been the opposite of fun.

12 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Sologdin and mini Solo helped me move.  Buying this for mini S as a thank you.  BwB the best friends ever.  :cries:

https://teespring.com/living-butt-pillow?tsmac=store&tsmic=chuck-tingles-shirts-for-buds#pid=585&cid=102399&sid=front

I have moved enough times to know that a friend that helps you move is a true friend.

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

I have moved enough times to know that a friend that helps you move is a true friend.

It was ....interesting to see who showed up for me yesterday.  I really about died from gratitude to see Solo.  His smaller bit hustled me BIG TIME for her salary.  She also has my housewarming party completely planned.  

I was so heartbroken to be moving out of a place where I had raised children.  The new owner came by and just barged in while I was packing.  It could have been a horrible day, but my friends showed up for me.  I really needed help, yesterday.

I know that there have been enough gushing threads about what this place has done for us individual humans.  Sloggy was tall enough to get the shit out of my closets even though my ladder had been stolen.  I was a wreck.  The place was a wreck.  Instead of having a big cry, I had a great day.  

Y'all are the best people on earth.  

2 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

It was ....interesting to see who showed up for me yesterday.  I really about died from gratitude to see Solo.  His smaller bit hustled me BIG TIME for her salary.  She also has my housewarming party completely planned.  

I was so heartbroken to be moving out of a place where I had raised children.  The new owner came by and just barged in while I was packing.  It could have been a horrible day, but my friends showed up for me.  I really needed help, yesterday.

I know that there have been enough gushing threads about what this place has done for us individual humans.  Sloggy was tall enough to get the shit out of my closets even though my ladder had been stolen.  I was a wreck.  The place was a wreck.  Instead of having a big cry, I had a great day.  

Y'all are the best people on earth.  

Enjoy the new house Lily. :cheers:  

Archived