(Book Spoilers) Is Melisandre sensing someone arriving at Volantis?

Camara

Why is Melisandre going to Volantis?

I understand Dragonstone is awkward for her because of Jon and Davos right now, so she wants to go somewhere else and Volantis is relatively close and has "fire temples".

But she states she will return to Westeros. I've wondered is she somehow saw that there is a griff arriving soon at Volantis coming from the North?

It may be interesting for Varys and gives back his shadow planning, in the book he's in fAegon boat anyway.

Also explains why they have Varys vs Daenerys screentime this season instead of last season, to prepare show viewers for his plan all along.

Another thing is that the Iron Bank appeared again.

Is Cersei failing her debt payment so that they will sponsor some Golden Company to have their own claimant?

I think it's awkward to get fAegon right now that the series is about to end and the WW are kinda the endgame, but we don't know what he'll do in the books so.

If you know something fAegon from leaks/spoilers please don't answer

(So you will answer anyway :P)

I've a feeling Mel may awake something in Volantis or at least gain information that will turn the tide in the great war.

As let's be honest, after this episode, the armies of Westeros aren't going to have what it takes to defeat the Night King without a handy bit of magical intervention.

57 minutes ago, Wut Wut said:

Probably won't happen, sorry. I guess Melisandre is going to Volantis to recruit the red priests for the great war. I believe the red priestess from last season was from Volantis so we'll probably see her again.

i think, or hope, it wont be to recruit red priests cos, correct me if im wrong, but didnt the other red priest in mereen know about azor ahai prophecy and therefore the white walkers? considering they can see stuff in fire id assume melisandre is smart enough to know her colleagues know about whats going on and wouldnt it be a waste of time to go all that distance to volantis for it? i want to believe whatever she is going there would be more important than that

I agree with the other posts that she is going there to get a tactical advantage. The show is clearly wrapping up loose ends left and right at a blinding speed. It would not make sense in the show universe to introduce Griff now as the just show watchers will have no clue or care who he is and it would just become another loose end that they'd have to rush through.

And I would kind of say the same thing about the Golden Company. They might have been mentioned in the show a handful of times, but they would just be another confusing addition to people who have only watched the show.

4 minutes ago, LokisRaider said:

I agree with the other posts that she is going there to get a tactical advantage. The show is clearly wrapping up loose ends left and right at a blinding speed. It would not make sense in the show universe to introduce Griff now as the just show watchers will have no clue or care who he is and it would just become another loose end that they'd have to rush through.

And I would kind of say the same thing about the Golden Company. They might have been mentioned in the show a handful of times, but they would just be another confusing addition to people who have only watched the show.

not necessarily true...it still can be wrapped up and prove the general fan theory of young griff being a fake aegon considering he would be introduced very late in series...that could be the reason varys will die in westeros in case he is actually betraying daenerys and that melissandre knows about it and now that daenerys lost 3 allies and her unsullied trapped in casterly rock, golden company would be a good use for her and he might be the key to get it

7 minutes ago, Jasemina said:

not necessarily true...it still can be wrapped up and prove the general fan theory of young griff being a fake aegon considering he would be introduced very late in series...that could be the reason varys will die in westeros in case he is actually betraying daenerys and that melissandre knows about it and now that daenerys lost 3 allies and her unsullied trapped in casterly rock, golden company would be a good use for her and he might be the key to get it

What a pointless waste of screen time that would be.

There will be no more introducing of new characters. As others have noted, they're wrapping up loose ends. When she comes back it will serve that function: she'll probably have Daario with her. Daario will quickly die after doing something cool, Dany will have a teary goodbye, and they can cross another name off their list.

She certainly goes there for a specific reason and I have no idea of what it is.

The first thing coming to my mind is Tywin said that one of the blacksmiths that melted down and reforged Ned Stark's sword Ice was from Volantis... so maybe she's trying to gain some knowledge helpful to fight the WW.

As others pointed out, it's also a place for Red Priests.

I also remembered about this (in case it's some sort of parallel with Westeros reigns uniting against the WW): When Volantis attempted to conquer the other remaining colonies and rebuild the Freehold under its own rule, all of the other Free Cities united against Volantis. The only reason why all the Free Cities were united, it's they were united by their determination not to be forcefully united under the rule of the Volantenes. The deciding factor was that Aegon Targaryen, possessor of the last three dragons, entered the conflict on the side of Volantis' enemies. Volantis' armies were shattered.

I suspect that nothing's going to happen in Volantis, and they're just taking Mel out of play for the rest of S7.

But if she is going to do something there, I think it will involve hooking up with the other Red Priests and then mounting an expedition to the ruins of Valyria. There could be something that book!Euron found that they'd originally decided to cut from the show, but now they decided they need it for S8, and it's too silly to send Euron back now, so sending Mel is the best option.

The dragonhorn is the obvious thing, which could be used to bring down the Night King when he's riding a wighted Viserion. Or it could be some other artifact not revealed until the next book. Or it could just be information that Sam and Gendry can use to rediscover the secret of dragonsteel, or to build some secret anti-zombie weapon.

As an aside, they went out of their way to mention the ruins of Old Valyria this episode, but they mentioned it as a leper colony for Westerosi commoner stone men. I don't know if that makes this more or less likely.

But anyway, I still think the most likely thing is just that Mel's going to Volantis as Generic Off-Camera Location, not for any big story purpose.

15 minutes ago, falcotron said:

I suspect that nothing's going to happen in Volantis, and they're just taking Mel out of play for the rest of S7.

Yep, pretty sure it's this. They want her out of the way, but kept available for later. They're putting the fire priestess on ice, as it were. Badum-tisch!

7 hours ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

She certainly goes there for a specific reason and I have no idea of what it is.

The first thing coming to my mind is Tywin said that one of the blacksmiths that melted down and reforged Ned Stark's sword Ice was from Volantis... so maybe she's trying to gain some knowledge helpful to fight the WW.

I'm thinking the secret to the forging of Valyrian steel might be found in the scrolls Sam has been charged with rewriting

I assume she will come back from Volantis with an army.  It would be hilarious if all the people who wanted to see fake Talisa's family show up will be right after all.  But she is for sure coming back from Volantis with a deux es machina army to help defeat the WW in the penultimate battle.  Book it.  And then she will meet Arya and die one way or the other.

Archived