David Fincher’s Mindhunter (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

Official trailer came out couple of hours ago,premiere on October 13.

It is based on the book Mind Hunter: Inside FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit written by Mark Olshaker and John E. Douglas. It has been already renewed for a second season.

The series will be set in 1979 and will revolve around two FBI agents, played by Jonathan Groff and Holt McCallany, who interview imprisoned serial killers to try to solve ongoing cases.

I read this over 20 years ago. I remember something about a voice box being sent down a garbage disposal - Google tells me Edmund Kemper and his mom? Anyways, I will totally watch this. 

ETA I guess the book came out on 96. So barely over 20 years ago.

given the strength of Fincher's "zodiac", it seems serial killers are his forte. Will it feature portrayals of real life serial killers or are they fictional? I think what made Zodiac so effective was that it was based on genuie events. Also wonder how many episodes Fincher will director?

4 hours ago, red snow said:

given the strength of Fincher's "zodiac", it seems serial killers are his forte. Will it feature portrayals of real life serial killers or are they fictional? I think what made Zodiac so effective was that it was based on genuie events. Also wonder how many episodes Fincher will director?

The first guy in the trailer (talking about how butchering people is hard work) looked like Gacy to me, though Gacy wasn't much of a 'butcher' if I remember correctly so I dunno. The Time magazine cover in the trailer showed Berkowitz on it and the IMDB page lists an actor playing Dennis Rader. So it looks like they might be all real, or a mix of real and fictional. 

11 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I read somewhere he will direct 2 episodes.Rest of the director's: Asif Kapadia, Tobias Lindholm and Andrew Douglas.

I guess two episodes is good at setting the tone and hopefully the others can emulate him. I know with some shows the big director is noticeable absent eg Twin Peaks.

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

The first guy in the trailer (talking about how butchering people is hard work) looked like Gacy to me, though Gacy wasn't much of a 'butcher' if I remember correctly so I dunno. The Time magazine cover in the trailer showed Berkowitz on it and the IMDB page lists an actor playing Dennis Rader. So it looks like they might be all real, or a mix of real and fictional. 

A mix is fine. I can watch "Hannibal" and while disturbed, the villains never chill me that much. But characters based on real people freaks me out as there's no hiding from the fact such people exist. They have. Zodiac got to me more because they never caught the killer. The fact they got away with it and could have watched the film terrifies me.

• 2 months later...

Interested in this too. As another poster said, Fincher seem to know what he's doing when it comes to dark thrillers about serial killers. Both Seven and Zodiac are among the best you can find in that genre. One fictional and another absed on real events. 

And Netflix seem to be pretty dependable, even though they don't always hit the mark, they usually do, and considering the talent behind this, it should work. Anna Torv is a nice actress too, I hope she gets some screen time. 

I've watched up to the second episode, and so far this show has been phenomenal. Anybody else watching?

It's a period drama set in the FBI in the 1970's about the development of criminal psychology and the serial crime unit - to help better understand where and why these killers come from.

It's directed by Fincher (who did Se7en) -- based on a book I haven't read.

I usually hate crime dramas, particularly 'psychological' crime drama -- but the script, characters, and writing has been really solid so far.

Archived