Total solar eclipse

MisterOJ

Since my house is pretty much right in the path of totality for the Aug. 21 solar eclipse, I've been reading and hearing a lot about that. I'm pretty excited about it, although admittedly, if I wasn't right in the sweet spot, I would probably be barely aware of it - if at all. 

Is anyone else on the board planning to observe the eclipse in a few days?

Nope. I was in Nashville a few months ago and that seems like a fun city to travel to for the eclipse, but I'm doing too much other traveling this year to make a trip just for the eclipse.

Apparently DC will have an 80% eclipse though, so that'll still be pretty cool to see (with the correct protective gear!)

My mom will be traveling close to the path of totality specifically to see the eclipse. Given that it happens a scant 8 weeks after my dad died, I feel the closure in that. I will not be near the path of totality; I had my experience of that in 1999 in Europe and that was enough.

Be careful watching the eclipse.  There is a lot of fake shit for eclipse viewing being touted. Buy from a reputable vendor. Up here in Canada, I get my info from Rasc. The Royal Astronomical Society  of Canada.  Me,  I am waiting for April,  2024. 

10 hours ago, maarsen said:

Be careful watching the eclipse.  There is a lot of fake shit for eclipse viewing being touted. Buy from a reputable vendor. Up here in Canada, I get my info from Rasc. The Royal Astronomical Society  of Canada.  Me,  I am waiting for April,  2024. 

QFT. Can't believe the mess I had to wade through to (hopefully) order safe glasses. Apparently Made in China knock-offs are flooding the markets and more than a few people are saying they are unsafe. Ugh, I'm all for making an honest buck, but seeing the ones out for a dishonest buck really bring the scum to the surface.

I used this to guide me in my purchase.

NASA and AAS only recognize five manufacturers with glasses that meet the proper ISO standards: Rainbow Symphony, American Paper Optics, Thousand Oaks Optical, TSE 17, and Baader Planetarium (the products with AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only). The products from these companies must have the manufacturer’s name and address printed on the glasses, as well as a mark saying they meet the ISO 12312-2 international standard.

Looks like I'm going to be in the ~80% totality zone.

The path of totality goes right though the center of Nebraska --though Omaha is not part of it. Local new media here claim Nebraska is one of the places most likely to have good weather for viewing the eclipse, and most motels in or close to the path of totality have been fully booked for that date for months.

Ironically, the eclipse is occurring during the week in the summer when I am always visiting my 95 year old mother in Tennessee. But Mount Juliet, where she and my sister live, is within the path of totality. So if I luck out and Mt. Juliet isn't cloudy August 21, I will see it there. My sister is supposed to be picking up free viewing glasses for me from the local library.

I live on the path, in Nebraska, so I'll definitely be seeing it. There will also be some festivities in my town the days before. A former astronaut will be giving a speech at a select dinner, but I think all the tickets for that even are exhausted.

Supposedly, NASA is sending people all over the country on the path to observe, and some of the locations in Nebraska will have among the longest periods of totality (at least according to a table I saw online).

Regarding glasses, I advise to buy from local eye clinics, if they have them, or maybe museums. I bought mine from the local museum of history and science. 

I am about half an hour away from the edge of totality.  It will pass right over as just as my kids get out of school, so I'm trying to decide if I'm taking them out early and all of us catching it, or if I'm going to get a sitter to deal with them while I go watch.  Either way, I'm not missing it.  

Last time there was a partial solar eclipse where I live, I used two 3.5 mm floppy disks and pulled the shutters to the side to look through the little pieces of exposed disk (two disks were needed to get the light reduced enough). It was a bit cumbersome and I won't exactly recommend it, but if you can't get your hands on proper protective glasses it's a hell of a lot better than using regular sunglasses which are definitely not adequate in any way.

Totally envy you guys who can see the totality. I plan to do this at least once in my life.

Archived