Bran is the Night King

Samwell_Tarly

Hmm.  Here is the timeline from Bran's perspective.  1)  Bran is born Brandon Stark in the "present day" timeline.  2)  Jaime throws him out the window, Bran is paralyzed, begins to have visions from 3ER (Bloodraven / Brynden Rivers).  3)  Time passes, Bran escapes Winterfell during Theon's occupation, slips North of the Wall in search of 3ER.  4)  Training w/ 3ER.  Now, in show-world:  5)  Bran is touched-marked by NK in his vision, NK breaches the cave, kills 3ER, Summer, & Hodor.  6)  Bran is now the 3ER.  Bran escapes back South of the Wall with Meera, returns to Winterfell, ditches Meera.  NK dicks around North of the Wall, waiting for someone to bring him a dragon.   7)  NK breaches the wall, probably with the help of his new ice dragon.  8)  Bran is about to be killed in an encounter with NK, Bran travels 8,000 years into the past and wargs into NK of the past, as he did with Wyllis/Hodor.  9)  Present-day NK kills the present-day Bran in the present in his trance state to prevent him from returning from the past.  10)  Bran cannot return to the present and is stuck in NK of the past.  He lives and/or sleeps 8,000 years and is NK, with all the knowledge of present day Bran, including all the knowledge from 3ER.     

On 24/08/2017 at 8:40 AM, Ghost_with_the_most said:

I can't post the picture, but bran and the night king are wearing the same pendant

That has been debunked as a photoshop, purely to create confusion and push the theory. 

"Except, when you look at any of it beyond the text, it makes absolutely no sense. The evidence supporting this theory is flimsy at best even when viewed through wight-tinted glasses. And apparently some fans have even gone as far as to Photoshop the Night King’s brooch on top of an outfit Bran started wearing once he arrived back in Winterfell."

Bran lived his thousand lives.  What we're seeing is the last one.

I'm all for Bran being the NK, but the deeper implications of his time travelling and life-collecting are that he could be, say, every single Brandon Stark from history, from Bran the Builder to his dead Uncle Brandon.  

And if he could affect/warg other humans while surfing the weirweb, he could have caused many of the scenarios that caused us to scratch our heads, i.e. who is the Knight of the Laughing Tree (Bran, warging Howland Reed), etc.

Bran could be Jon's father - technically - while in the guise of another.

If the NK turns out to be Jon's father, that's a worthy twist to the story.

• 8 months later...
20 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

I don't know how accurate this is, I found this on another forum and think its interesting in what role Bran has to play. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weirwoodleviathan.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/bran-them-all-the-fate-of-kings-landing/amp/

This would h ave received more views in the spoiler thread I think. It is a really interesting theory, one that actually makes sense, and one I could say I didn't see coming. However, in light of the recent actors filming in KL, not sure how that would work, without wiping everybody out. 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:00 AM, goldenmaps said:

I don't know how accurate this is, I found this on another forum and think its interesting in what role Bran has to play. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weirwoodleviathan.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/bran-them-all-the-fate-of-kings-landing/amp/

On 5/4/2018 at 9:31 PM, Error-504 said:

This would h ave received more views in the spoiler thread I think. It is a really interesting theory, one that actually makes sense, and one I could say I didn't see coming. However, in light of the recent actors filming in KL, not sure how that would work, without wiping everybody out. 

well....much better-thought that the NK theory, but still a little bit underwhelming.

Why would Bran want to experience the death of those lives? Because his father told him so? His father told him to pass the sentence......on those who are guilty of something.  Have we seen him being so desperated to do that? Is it sure that there is no other choice? That takes for granted that The Ohters are still there.....arriving at KL as well. Ok, I could buy that part. But....Why would he want to die? Does he know that by becoming a god will help the rest defeat The Others?  Maybe he just doesn't know what's gonna happen IF he dies in that pre-sacrifice. How can he know that he will become a god?. And frankly, he could be the force and lead them without having to become a God. In fact, he is developing these techniques in the book.How would the rest of the good ones defeat the Others, though even if the army is not of 500000? No ideas on that?

There are some visions that have not been taken into  consideration by the writer of the essay as well, ones that take place very quickly in a forest. It's not only the dragon one. Anyway, not a bad take at all. But there are inconsistencies.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

well....much better-thought that the NK theory, but still a little bit underwhelming.

Why would Bran want to experience the death of those lives? Because his father told him so? His father told him to pass the sentence......on those who are guilty of something.  Have we seen him being so desperated to do that? Is it sure that there is no other choice? That takes for granted that The Ohters are still there.....arriving at KL as well. Ok, I could buy that part. But....Why would he want to die? Does he know that by becoming a god will help the rest defeat The Others?  Maybe he just doesn't know what's gonna happen IF he dies in that pre-sacrifice. How can he know that he will become a god?. And frankly, he could be the force and lead them without having to become a God. In fact, he is developing these techniques in the book.How would the rest of the good ones defeat the Others, though even if the army is not of 500000? No ideas on that?

There are some visions that have not been taken into  consideration by the writer of the essay as well, ones that take place very quickly in a forest. It's not only the dragon one. Anyway, not a bad take at all. But there are inconsistencies.

Where does it say in that theory that Bran dies? Did I miss it? 

20 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Where does it say in that theory that Bran dies? Did I miss it? 

You are right he doesn't exactly die in the article, but kind of.....he is no longer Bran anymore. He loses his humanity and becomes a weird human being/god/creature, which is like a point of no return, a death. Ascending to godhod/his mind ascending to the astral plane...it's a mental death of Bran as who he is. Even worse than the (awful) current situation in the show (which I'd like them to reverse as a twist), although better executed.

Bran will thus sentence 500,000 people to death (a million on the show), and in doing so exercise the moral authority of a god

Bran will telepathically connect to and become every single one of the over 500,000 people that he is sentencing to death. He will know who each of them are, he will have the courage to experience their fear, and he will hear each of their final thoughts. Though he will be hundreds of miles away, Brandon Stark as the Winged Wolf will know each life and death individually and simultaneously.

In essence Bran will create a momentary collective consciousness of every person in King’s Landing. A song of ice and fire. In a mythological sense, this will parallel the bound warg Fenrir devouring the sun during Ragnarok. Though the show has Bran cease to be himself anymore when he becomes the Three Eyed Raven, in the books I propose this will be in this moment that Bran truly becomes a god.

Also that it will serve as the ultimate realization of the lesson Bran learns in his first chapter about the responsibility of taking a life, and it will finalize his ascent into godhood

As we have seen in the show, the cost of Bran taking in all of that collective memory is the loss of himself and his individuality. Meera was right. Though he did not physically die when he became the Three Eyed Raven, the boy he had been indeed died in the cave. Bran ceased to be himself when he was overwhelmed by the godhood and became one with the Three Eyed Raven

in the books he will never be the same after this moment (in the show Bran has already reached this point of no return). Like Frodo was too deeply hurt to return to the Shire after carrying the Ring to Mount Doom, Bran will be too deeply hurt, his soul too overcome by the pain of the lives he has taken to return to himself or his boyhood. For the rest of the story and the rest of his life he will be an otherworldly entity akin to the Ghost of High Heart or Patchface

From here the certain doom of Westeros will have been averted, Bran’s mind will fully disperse and ascend to the astral plane. Then will commence the final act of actually putting an end to the Long Night. A mission in which Bran will act as the ghost in the machine. The force guiding our heroes to the resolution.

If King's Landing does burn, and if a dragon is to do it, I want that decision to be Jon's and not Bran's.  Isn't ruling and making the hard decisions part of Jon's arc.  Didn't Jon get the same lessons in ruling as Bran does.  If this scenario happens, Bran can still warg into people's minds and hear their last thoughts, but the decision to have King's Landing burn should be made by either Jon or Dany if that decision is to be made.  To me its a cop out that if the decision to sacrifice the inhabitants of King's Landing is not being made by Jon or Dany.  If either of them is to rule, they have to make the hard decisions.

Archived