Do you think the show is better or worse for not including Young Griff?

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

This was what 10 minutes of screen time over several episodes? Do you really think that by scrapping that romance you could establish who young Griff isin S6, since he and his family have not factored in at all, and get him and his whole crew time to establish themselves in 10 minutes, and if you use more than 10 minutes where do you take it from? 

Why spend the time to tell us who he is and his back story only to kill him off quickly, seems like more of a waste of time than a eunuch love scene but that's just my opinion.

That really was not my point, obviously :D 

10 minutes can do very much when used wisely or be a total waste of time. Of course it would've been nonsensical to switch the romance with a butchered fAegon arc. What I tried to point out: I believe, there could have been a way to adopt his story from book to show properly, like they did with Oberyn. A character, that came in late, didn't get that much screentime, but worked out really well.

Tyrions journey could've been a good point to introduce fAegon, him loosing to Cersei would have felt more logical than Dany. Avoiding big plot holes never is a waste of time. That's my opinion ;)

FAegon like Quentin journey and Brienne one is a symptom of Martin loosing the plot and getting too much into details to the detriment of the overall story arc, and slowing or stopping the books path to climax and finish. The show already juggled with too many plots , adding another major one would make the show unfinished before being canceled as the books would probably be unfinished by Martin. So removing Aegon made sense both from the series practical constraints (like money and time both for filming and time for the show episodes) and from a story perspective(there are too many major concurrent plots in the books adding Aegon would be too much). All this for a secondary character that his role is of a speedbump and to make a complicated plot even more complicated.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:08 AM, thor2006 said:

FAegon like Quentin journey and Brienne one is a symptom of Martin loosing the plot and getting too much into details to the detriment of the overall story arc, and slowing or stopping the books path to climax and finish. The show already juggled with too many plots , adding another major one would make the show unfinished before being canceled as the books would probably be unfinished by Martin. So removing Aegon made sense both from the series practical constraints (like money and time both for filming and time for the show episodes) and from a story perspective(there are too many major concurrent plots in the books adding Aegon would be too much). All this for a secondary character that his role is of a speedbump and to make a complicated plot even more complicated.

This was what I was getting at. I just didn't want to slam GRRM for adding too many plotlines that seem like filler, such as fAegon.

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

This was what I was getting at. I just didn't want to slam GRRM for adding too many plotlines that seem like filler, such as fAegon.

The plots in their selves are fine , even great especially Aegon one or Euron one, but the books and show had too many major ones. There is too much complexity for a book series and the same applies to tv shows. For movies and shows the maximum level of complexity  that you can show is a lot smaller than the maximum complexity level for the books.

The plan was for 3 books detailing 3 major things. First book would be the Lannister - Stark civil war, the second part would be the Targeryan invasion, and the last part would be the Others invasion. The first part grew from 1 book to 3-4 books so the second and third part needed to be just as complex as the first one. But this is an insane amount of work to write, that no one could downsize in just 2 books, and no tv channel would be able to adapt such a mammoth book cycle , even if the books would be complete.

So Martin convince the network they would have to adapt 7 books where in reality would be more likely around 9 - 12 books. Aegon, Briene, Quentin, Euron and Lady Stoneheart works for 9 - 12 books series but doesn't work for a 7 book series. That i believe is what keeping Martin from publishing Winds too small space in the Winds, too many plots to fit, too important to cut.

Archived