Jon and Dany and hair color

Watching The Mother of Dragons and  The King in the North meet made me realize that if Jon is a Targaryen then why doesn't he have silver hair.  Lady Olenna commented on her near marriage to a silver haired Targaryen, Dany and her weirdo bro had silver hair and given the fact that all Robert Baratheon's offspring had dark hair it made me wonder if Jon Snow's paternity trail has deliberately led us astray.  What am I missing?

not all targs had silver hair. Most targs had silver hair because they had married brother and sister for hundreds of years so the trait stayed at the front. Once they started marrying other people though some targs didn't have silver hair. Rhegars son aegon had red hair and I think his daughter did too.

8 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/115386-are-there-any-dark-haired-half-targaryens/

Aegor Rivers

Baelor Breakspear Targaryen

Daeron Targaryen

Rhaenys Targaryen (daughter of Rhaegar, killed during the sack of KL)

technically blood raven didn't have silver hair either. Though that was because he was full albino and his hair was white

6 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

not all targs had silver hair. Most targs had silver hair because they had married brother and sister for hundreds of years so the trait stayed at the front. Once they started marrying other people though some targs didn't have silver hair. Rhegars son aegon had red hair and I think his daughter did too.

Rhaegar son,has targaryen silver hair,his daughter has dark hair,from her mother,Ellia Martell

It's just like a Baratheon + a Lannister. In book 1 (maybe even in the show), Ned Stark found out that whenever a Lannister married a Baratheron, the children were always dark haired, although the Lannisters are known for their blond hair. I suppose that a Stark + a Targaeryen might be the same thing.

9 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Aegon's hair was silver, why else did Griff have to dye his hair?

On 8/4/2017 at 3:25 PM, Lady Jayne Playne said:

Watching The Mother of Dragons and  The King in the North meet made me realize that if Jon is a Targaryen then why doesn't he have silver hair.  Lady Olenna commented on her near marriage to a silver haired Targaryen, Dany and her weirdo bro had silver hair and given the fact that all Robert Baratheon's offspring had dark hair it made me wonder if Jon Snow's paternity trail has deliberately led us astray.  What am I missing?

He got Stark features.  It happens.  He looks like Arya and also his mother.  He looks a little like Rob also.  But no, he doesn't look like any descriptions of Targs I've heard.

Starks have brown hair, Tullys red hair. Jon Snow's black hair is astohishing, even if we imagine Lyanna (she had Brown hair)and Rhaegar as the parents.

The issue lies in the Show: In the book, Jon Snow has dark Brown hair, which would be in line with him taking over his mother's hair colour. The real black hair is in my opinion a problem in the Show, they should have dyed Kit's hair.

57 minutes ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Starks have brown hair, Tullys red hair. Jon Snow's black hair is astohishing, even if we imagine Lyanna (she had Brown hair)and Rhaegar as the parents.

The issue lies in the Show: In the book, Jon Snow has dark Brown hair, which would be in line with him taking over his mother's hair colour. The real black hair is in my opinion a problem in the Show, they should have dyed Kit's hair.

They don't dye any of the male actors hair - Tyrion in the books has white hair, and Peter Dinklage on the show has red/brown hair. Jaime has very golden blonde hair, yet Nickolaj Waldou on the show has light brown/sandy hair. Daario has blue dyed hair, yet his actor has brown hair on the show. Even Bran and Rickon have aurburn hair, but their actors have brown hair on the show. It doesn't mean anything that Show Jon has black hair - they can just change Show Lyanna's hair to being black to.

4 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

He got Stark features.  It happens.  He looks like Arya and also his mother.  He looks a little like Rob also.  But no, he doesn't look like any descriptions of Targs I've heard.

He actually has more Targearyen features than you first think. He's not rough round the edges like most Stark's and northeners - that's why he's called 'pretty,' which is a Targearyen trait, not a Stark one. His eyes and body build also go off Rhaegar's side. We don't even know what his other facial features are, and if they are Stark or Targearyen looking. 

56 minutes ago, WeKnowNothing said:

He actually has more Targearyen features than you first think. He's not rough round the edges like most Stark's and northeners - that's why he's called 'pretty,' which is a Targearyen trait, not a Stark one. His eyes and body build also go off Rhaegar's side. We don't even know what his other facial features are, and if they are Stark or Targearyen looking. 

Can you explain me the thing you said about Northeners' rough round the edges. I mean how do we know that

Also tell me about their eyes. Of what I can remember Jon has drak grey eyes and Rhaegar has dark indigo.

3 hours ago, WeKnowNothing said:

They don't dye any of the male actors hair - Tyrion in the books has white hair, and Peter Dinklage on the show has red/brown hair. Jaime has very golden blonde hair, yet Nickolaj Waldou on the show has light brown/sandy hair. Daario has blue dyed hair, yet his actor has brown hair on the show. Even Bran and Rickon have aurburn hair, but their actors have brown hair on the show. It doesn't mean anything that Show Jon has black hair - they can just change Show Lyanna's hair to being black to.

Since Lyanna was the mother and dark hair is dominant I don't see much of an issue here.  As it has been mentioned yes a lot of Targaryens have silver hair but then again if both parents have the gene, even if recesive it is likely the baby will have the characteristic too.

On the other hand, although splitting hairs here (pardon the pun lol), as for Nicolaj, it seems to me that the actor was probably blonde as a child.  Hair tends to become darker with age and most blonde kids end up with sandy, light brown or dark blonde hair so to me he retains the Lannister look.  Okay, this is a medieval fantasy but they clearly dye hairs in the books and show like when Sansa died hers black.  In real life nowadays women are more likely to colour their hair than men (although of course this is not true of everyone by any means).  A lot of women I know who were blonde as kids dye it or highlight it blonde when it starts going more sandy, so for instance yes, Cersei's is way more golden than Jaime's and they are the exact same age but maybe she lightens it a bit.

Now, Peter's hair is definitely coloured.  The actor's hair is pretty much quite dark brown.  In the first series, especially first episodes it was very blonde actually and straighter.  Personally I didn't think it suit him especially.  I think this season is a little darker but for most of the show he definitely has blonde and possibly light to medium brown highlights.  I even wonder if those spirally curls are actually a perm...  Personally, I think he looks great with that hair style, just as I think Kit looks great with very dark hair.  It is entirely possible that they have gone for what they think the actors look better with provided it doesn't create a huge inconsistency, like say making Dany brunette.  Both Emilia and Lena are brunettes in real life but I think they look really good either way.  This may also explained Daario not having blue hair, maybe they tried and he didn't look great with it...

Good point with Rickon and Bran though but maybe same thing applies, or maybe the actors specifically requested to keep their natural hair colour, who knows.

Now, Lyanna is played by two different actresses.  The first one (riding the horse) definitely has highlights as well certainly towards the ends, then again if she has been out in the sun, darker hair gets lighter.  The second one (giving birth) has definitely darker hair.  Overall, I am going to go for the decision in each case being mainly best on what suits the actor/actress and even their own preferences whilst trying to keep some looks from the books quite in tune with the books like Dany and Viserys.

4 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Can you explain me the thing you said about Northeners' rough round the edges. I mean how do we know that

Also tell me about their eyes. Of what I can remember Jon has drak grey eyes and Rhaegar has dark indigo.

I mean like northeners are known to look more rough - for example either being more muscled, built, handsome in a hard way, and not at all how Jon is described. Jon (even on the show) stands out from the northeners. He's a lot more 'pretty' in a way that catches  your attention. Genetically speaking, he couldn't have got his prettiness from Lyanna, as Starks are not pretty, but more handsome in a 'manly' way. So him being pretty is definitely a Targearyen trait, as even Targearyen males are known to be pretty. 

Now, your right about Jon having dark grey eyes. But it is very heavily speculated that Jon received his eye colour from both his parents. Lyanna likely only had normal grey eyes, which were not dark. Rhaeagar had dark indigo eyes, which almost looked black - and Jon has dark grey eyes, which almost look black. So Jon has a mixture of dark indigo and grey eyes = dark grey eyes (which almost look black like Rhaegar's). And if you take the thing about fAegons eyes as being real, that eye colour can change according to hair - then we really have to wonder what would happen if Jon dyes his hair a lighter colour...would a shade of purple be seen in his eyes, just like fAegons?

Archived