Episode's title is blood of the dragon

fael097

I don't think we will ever the Direwolfes again. Nymeria scene was just to cut that loose end, and Ghost will probably appear just to die if that would be the case. Otherwise, he won't be appearing anymore

D&D never trully grasped the true significance of the direwolves. Like many others things from the Northern culture (I'm looking at you, North Remembers"

1 hour ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

I don't think we will ever the Direwolfes again. Nymeria scene was just to cut that loose end, and Ghost will probably appear just to die if that would be the case. Otherwise, he won't be appearing anymore

D&D never trully grasped the true significance of the direwolves. Like many others things from the Northern culture (I'm looking at you, North Remembers"

So true!

11 hours ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

I actually think the opposite. I think they will play a major role in Season 8. But lets wait and see...

On 8/8/2017 at 11:15 AM, Mongo said:

Not laziness. It's the expense.

D&D have explained in interviews that direwolves are actually more expensive to CGI than dragons, because they are close enough in appearance to wolves that they have to be nearly 100% accurate or they will look fake. Whereas dragons can be animated almost any way and nobody can say otherwise, so they are less expensive to animate.

That single battle in Spoils of War blew a huge amount of the CGI budget, it seems that the only direwolf scene they could afford to do was the Arya/Nymeria scene. They could perhaps animate a Ghost scene, but likely at the cost of deleting a dragon scene that advances the plot a lot more.

I don't care. They can save money in other things. They can  film with real wolves and make it look bigger through camera angles or something like that, so the only CGI needed is significantly reduced, like  to add the red eyes to Ghost. D&D's disregard for the direwolves is one of the most unforgivable things they have done in adapting TWOIAF...  and they have done many. 

I would rather have  only one dragon  and one wolf, than three dragons and no wolf. 

19 hours ago, ummester said:

Rather than CG Direwolves, why don't they green screen (or force perspective) those Alaskan Inuit dogs they used for the pups? There is an overreliance on CG, films that use multiple techniques (like the original LotRs) are more visually interesting than films that rely solely on CG (like the Hobbit).

Exactly!

As for the episode's title, it was apparently changed. I saw it as "Blood of the Dragon" on IMDB, but as stated here, someone must have thought that was too revealing. It's funny that someone thought of preserving some kind of mistery by changing the ep name, when the whole season plot was leaked months ago.

20 hours ago, ummester said:

Rather than CG Direwolves, why don't they green screen (or force perspective) those Alaskan Inuit dogs they used for the pups? There is an overreliance on CG, films that use multiple techniques (like the original LotRs) are more visually interesting than films that rely solely on CG (like the Hobbit).

Not to nitpick, but they're technically Northern Inuit dogs. -_- :D It's a breed specific to the UK and you can see two of the actual dogs from S1 on a Got tour in N. Ireland. I met them last November and they're huge but super friendly.

19 hours ago, Lysergik said:

Literally....

Where has Ghost been?? I literally was trying to think back to last season to remember if Ghost had been killed off at some point. Ghost is always by Jon's side, and he hasn't been anywhere at all recently. Jon got to see dragons, would have been cool if Ghost was by his side and Dany got to see a direwolf.

It just makes no sense to me at all.

Totally agree. Ghost was so much important for Jon, you can't just put him aside and pray we will forget about him! We lost too much about the direwolves during the last season, all killed off like they were normal puppies; they had a meaning for every Stark, they were there for all of them (but Sansa), Robb lost when he started to get distant from Grey Wind, they cannot be considered so forgettable. Ok, CGI is expensive, but come on, it's Game of Thrones we're talking about!  

I think Dany is going to give Jon a ride to see Eastwatch and ultimately stop at Winterfell...

Jon is in his full northern garb again, and in the quick shot of Drogon screeching at him (with Jon's back to the camera) it appears his sword is on under his cloak.  I think they are traveling together to see what is happening after Jon gives them all the information in the Map room.

Also:

In the following episode we will see Bran tell Dany about Jon's lineage, after Jon departs for The Wall.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:38 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

So after Varys promises Dany that he will tell her when he feels she is Fucking up he runs to Tyrion to ask her to reason with a Dany?  For what? Burning the Lannister army alive?

No, for burning the food.  After that one blast of fire breaking the Lannisters' formation, she spent the entire rest of the battle burning the food.  If you hadn't been keeping track, that was the last food on the whole goddamn continent, and she set it on fire. And for no goddamn reason either: she had won the battle. She could have taken the food, held it for ransom, used it to feed her own army, but instead she lit it on fire.

It's basically like the scene from The Dark Knight where the Joker robs a bank and then burns all the money. Except while money has no value beyond what people assign it, the food she burned was literally the last hope of human survival.

So, yeah, might be time to have those words.

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

No, for burning the food.  After that one blast of fire breaking the Lannisters' formation, she spent the entire rest of the battle burning the food.  If you hadn't been keeping track, that was the last food on the whole goddamn continent, and she set it on fire. And for no goddamn reason either: she had won the battle. She could have taken the food, held it for ransom, used it to feed her own army, but instead she lit it on fire.

It's basically like the scene from The Dark Knight where the Joker robs a bank and then burns all the money. Except while money has no value beyond what people assign it, the food she burned was literally the last hope of human survival.

So, yeah, might be time to have those words.

That is not the "last food on the whole goddamn continent", it was the food they had taken from storage in Highgarden.  It was bound for Kings Landing to reinforce their stores and prepare for a potential siege.  The farmers of The Reach are still harvesting.  She probably destroyed 20-30 wagons...if all the remaining food on the "whole goddamn continent" can fit in 20 or 30 wagons, they Night King can just roll a fatty and sit in a lawn chair while the entire realm starves to death.

1 hour ago, DarkBastard said:

That is not the "last food on the whole goddamn continent", it was the food they had taken from storage in Highgarden.  It was bound for Kings Landing to reinforce their stores and prepare for a potential siege.  The farmers of The Reach are still harvesting.  She probably destroyed 20-30 wagons...if all the remaining food on the "whole goddamn continent" can fit in 20 or 30 wagons, they Night King can just roll a fatty and sit in a lawn chair while the entire realm starves to death.

I was under the impression that the wagon train we saw was the last of it: Jaime sent Bronn to "persuade" the last farmers to part with their crops, Bronn was with the wagon train, this I assume those wagons represent the last harvest from the reach. And the Reach being the most fertile region, it stands to reason their last crop is the continent's last crop. I will grant, however, it is difficult to keep track of how much time is passing when they jump from month to month with no indication. How long was Bronn harassing farmers? Was it as long as Jon's trip from Winterfell to Dragonstone? And while all this was happening what exactly were the Dothraki and their thousands of horses eating? Was there offscreen looting of random villages?

they Night King can just roll a fatty and sit in a lawn chair while the entire realm starves to death.

But yeah, that's kind of how it's shaping up at this point.

It is certainly hard to tell with regard to timelines, I'll agree with you there.  But again I venture to say that with a population of approximately 500,000 (about the same population as Atlanta GA), how long would 20 wagons of food last in King's Landing?  A month?

If this does represent the last of the food in the Realm, it is certainly lazy writing for the show.  That would also lead to the assumption that The Reach possesses enough wagons to carry every piece of food they harvest, all at the same time.  That's horseshit.

3 hours ago, DarkBastard said:

It is certainly hard to tell with regard to timelines, I'll agree with you there.  But again I venture to say that with a population of approximately 500,000 (about the same population as Atlanta GA), how long would 20 wagons of food last in King's Landing?  A month?

If this does represent the last of the food in the Realm, it is certainly lazy writing for the show.  That would also lead to the assumption that The Reach possesses enough wagons to carry every piece of food they harvest, all at the same time.  That's horseshit.

It is one part lazy writing and one part lazy viewing.  

The gold was at the front of the 'loot train' as D&D called it.  Jaime, Bronn, Dickon, et. al were at the rear.  Randyl Tarly reported to Jaime that the gold had reached Kings Landing.  This means the front of the loot train had also reached Kings Landing.  So the entirety of the "Spoils of War" were being transported in wagons and carriages that stretched across the unknown number of miles between Kings Landing and where ever that battle took place.  

They pillaged an entire fucking kingdom.  What Dany burned was probably 1% of the total.  Probably the last 1% that Bronn and the Tarlys had been strong arming the most resistant farmers for all day.  If for some reason we find out different and that Dany did in fact burn all of Highgarden's food, then what was said above about life in Westeros being all but over is true and i'll change my opinion to this being entirely lazy writing

On 8/8/2017 at 2:55 PM, Old Blue Eyes said:

Are you sure he was referring to Dany?  Maybe Varys is pleading with Tyrion to make another female listen.  Maybe Cersie?  Millesandre?

If Varys is suggesting that Tyrion speak to and convince Cersie of anything, then he's clearly trolling Tyrion.

"No no, you should totally go smack Drogon in the face." Snicker. "That's a dragon's way of saying hello."  Giggle. 

On 8/10/2017 at 8:22 AM, DarkBastard said:

I think Dany is going to give Jon a ride to see Eastwatch and ultimately stop at Winterfell...

Jon is in his full northern garb again, and in the quick shot of Drogon screeching at him (with Jon's back to the camera) it appears his sword is on under his cloak.  I think they are traveling together to see what is happening after Jon gives them all the information in the Map room.

Also:

In the following episode we will see Bran tell Dany about Jon's lineage, after Jon departs for The Wall.

Too awesome to be true..but one can hope....

Archived