[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

So you have how many thousands Dothraki?  And a very destructive dragon.  Why even risk the Dothraki?  You've got them dead to right with the dragon.

And why put all three dragons at risk when only one is going to engage?

Oh, and Littlefinger is so.....dead.

Edited by Illiterati

Just now, direwoofwoof said:

Agreed! Loved this scene. Arya ia smaller and swifter than Brienne and she knows how to move. Seeing her hold needle behind her back reminded me of her dancing lessons with Syrio Forel back in season 1.

I did too. I was smiling during this scene because you could see how impressed Brienne was and how Arya knew that she would be fighting in a style that would throw Brienne off of her game. I really enjoyed that scene. As well as all of the Stark sibling scenes in tonight's episode. 

6 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Arya fought in a style Brienne was completely unfamiliar with. Brienne was also holding back to begin with. Arya also learned her lesson fighting Sandor and do didn't try stabbing an armored opponent. She evaded until she saw an opening.  I didn't find it anymore ridiculous than when she changes her face.  The girl had a training from Hell and is now a badass with a Valyrian steel dagger. I also suspect Brienne will be more wary when they duel again. 

No doubt, i just wish that a slim sword wouldn't change a 2 handed swords swing direction

It's practically impossible; and she was doing it one handed ;D

With that said, I agreed, it was a nice scene 

10 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Arya beating Brienne is one of the dumbest things imaginable.

Not at all. Arya is an expert in the art of dodging, exactly like Oberyn versus the Mountain.  Agility against brute force.

And obviously Brienne isn't in full killer mode. Look at her sword, it's a training sword with a rounded point, probably non sharpened…

We have seen worth plots…

13 minutes ago, jobmartell said:

I see you had a thriving seafood business, you looked beautiful.

I see you posed as a underage whore and stabbed a pedophile in both eyes before slicing his throat you looked beautiful

2 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Not at all. Arya is an expert in the art of dodging, exactly like Oberyn versus the Mountain.  Agility against brute force.

And obviously Brienne isn't in full killer mode. Look at her sword, it's a training sword with a rounded point, probably non sharpened…

I see we're ignoring the amount of training each of them has had. 

1 minute ago, Nowy Tends said:

So dumb. Even in a world with dragons, Arya loses this fight 10 out of 10 times. Dumbest scene in an otherwise good episode. 

The duel bit didn't bother me too much. Arya has learned how to fight an armored opponent, her training clearly made her extremely agile, and Brienne was holding back. I was more annoyed at Brienne basically just showing up to tell us Arya was a badass, but no big deal.

Ugh, you can already feel that they're setting up Jon x Dany. At this point it's more or less inevitable, but the cringe will be real. Not looking forward to this. I did like the world building in the cave and the symbols. 

All the reunions! The Theon and Jon one was a bit underwhelming, but I liked the Starks a lot. Sansa continues growing on me, so does Arya. Bran's a bit annoying now with the emotionless routine but it does fit his character. Poor Meera, she goes through absolute hell for him and barely gets a thank you. 

And of course, dat battle. Definitely one of the show's best, hell I'd rate it only below Blackwater and Hardhome, and not far below either. Loved it in its entirely. 

Just now, Raksha 2014 said:

Does anyone know what happened to the Tarlys?  Did either of them survive?  Dickon saved Jaime from being skewered by a Dothraki; but I didn't see if he was toasted or skewered himself.

There was a close of up a man on fire who I thought looked like Randyll but I couldn't tell for certain. I'm hoping they died since they decided to saved Bronn and Jaime with plot armor. 

16 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Arya fought in a style Brienne was completely unfamiliar with. Brienne was also holding back to begin with. Arya also learned her lesson fighting Sandor and do didn't try stabbing an armored opponent. She evaded until she saw an opening.  I didn't find it anymore ridiculous than when she changes her face.

This.

40 minutes ago, cgrav said:

@LmL @ravenous reader 

While I'm sure you're loathe to mingle book and show material, I think you'll be amused to see that tonight's episode features a whole bunch of Mythical Astronomy cave drawings! Many paired paired images of a sun and a "gods eye" eclipse-type shape, or a circle with a line through it (as drawn by Yoren in the sand next to the Gods Eye).

To me this was the most important part of the episode. The battle was nice and spectacular but not related to the core mystery of the overall story.

I wonder if Jon is misinterpreting and the cave paintings actually say 'using magic Children and humans combined can make White walkers' It's very strange that the White Walkers organise bodies in exactly the same patterns as the Children's symbols.

1 minute ago, ummester said:

To me this was the most important part of the episode. The battle was nice and spectacular but not related to the core mystery of the overall story.

I wonder if Jon is misinterpreting and the cave paintings actually say 'using magic Children and humans combined can make White walkers' It's very strange that the White Walkers organise bodies in exactly the same patterns as the Children's symbols.

In the aftershow D&D said something about the White Walkers using the symbols of their creators, the Children. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what that would mean or why they would be doing that.