[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

The 48 minute run time was a bit jarring seeing that there were only 7 episodes this season to begin with and to cut one 12 minutes short seems a bit odd.

21 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I just don't get this.  Are we forgetting that they were raised as brother and sister?  That they view each other as siblings?  Regardless of the fact that they aren't siblings doesn't make a romantic relationship between them any less skeevy as hell. 

Sure sure. Dany and Jon are related, but they don't know that. They don't even suspect it. 

At this point the show has set everything up for a union between them, if only a political one. 

Dany is a single queen in need of allies. 

Jon is a single king in need of allies. 

I half expect either Tyrion, Varys or Davis to suggest a marriage.  

I think Davos might be the one to get around suggesting the marriage if he and Tyrion can get together I am sure the topic would come up it after the marriage alliance that would make the most sense.  Plus Davos noticed how Jon was eyeing Dany, it is a little off putting that they are aunt and nephew but again they do not know that nor does anyone besides Bran.

Poor Sansa she really caught the short end of the stick with in the family, granted she brought in the Vale Army but Jon is King, Bran the power of sight, Arya a warrior, Sansa?  Oh and he reaction when she realized that Arya wasn't kidding about the list PRICELESS.

Bran just keeps getting more and more creepy.  I mean not even that scene with Meera was just painful, I mean Thank You, that's it.  

I wonder if Jamie and Bronn end up as prisoners, Tyrion seemed to have had his eye fixed squarely on Jamie and I am sure he saw he and Bronn fall into the lake so I would think he might have had people search for them at least.  Also the mention of the Golden company seems that the gold made it all the way to Kings Landing so does the iron bank back Cersei and she send for them because we see her army has been decimated.

We see the problem with the scorpion as a weapon it seems unless the dragon is flying straight at it well it not all that effective and if you miss its is more than enough time for the dragon to destroy it.

56 minutes ago, falcotron said:

DIckon: "I didn't like having to kill a bunch of my old friends in battle."

Well, maybe if anyone had thought of calling out Olenna to surrender when she was clearly going to lose, instead of just immediately assaulting the castle walls and making things as bloody as possible for no reason… but no, who could possibly be clever enough to think of something as innovative as parlaying?

Perhaps they lost her cellphone number.

I liked how they showed Sansa's softer side in a positive light for a change. When she first embraced Arya, Arya didn't even lift her arms to return the hug. Then when she found out that Jon had left Sansa in charge, Arya was clearly not pleased. In response to this, Sansa talked about how she hoped Jon would return home soon, and that Jon's "heart would stop" when he saw Arya again. This is the sort of thing Margaery would have done, only Sansa was much more sincere than Margaery usually was (and I say that as someone who loved Margaery). When Arya hugged her after that, you could see she was genuinely happy to be home with her sister again.

I'm not sure why a lot of people online are saying this is the best battle of all time. There was hardly any battle at all; on the contrary, most of the action was Drogon burning people alive.

Obviously Arya would be a skilled fighter, but I don't think she'd realistically be better than Brienne.

RIP Davos' character arc. At this point, he basically exists to ship Jon and Dany onscreen.

16 minutes ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

So dumb. Even in a world with dragons, Arya loses this fight 10 out of 10 times. Dumbest scene in an otherwise good episode. 

Do you only understand the concept of dodging? 

I'm not saying that Arya would realistically be better than Brienne, only that the scene is not so improbable.

Edited by Nowy Tends

5 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

In the aftershow D&D said something about the White Walkers using the symbols of their creators, the Children. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what that would mean or why they would be doing that. 

Seems obvious to me - they believe in the same thing that the Children did. The White Walkers mindset is the same as the Children's once was - and I'd hazard a guess it's some mystical environmental thing. All of those little symbols probably mean something about being one with nature and protecting it from humans, or something similar.

54 minutes ago, plectrum said:

All that matters is that Cersei doesn't get it either.  The Iron Bank will now abandon her.

You get it.

Edit:  I misread your statement, which was errant.  Cersei will get it and pay the bank.  They will still betray her.  Because dragons.

Edited by Illiterati

Sansa has actually gained the skill of political manouvering, even though they don't portray it well. 

jon is a commander (allegedly), bran is a wizard, arya is an assassin, and sansa is politician.

in the grand scheme of things, hers will be the most useful skill, but they will be all-powerful as a team. 

Edited by Grizzly Mormont

5 minutes ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

Sansa has actually gained the skill of political manouvering, even though they don't portray it well. 

jon is a commander (allegedly), bran is a wizard, arya is an assassin, and sansa is politician.

in the grand scheme of things, hers will be the most useful skill, but they will be all-powerful as a team. 

Agreed. Sansa definitely has the most useful skill, just because she can use it for so many things.

5 minutes ago, ummester said:

To me this was the most important part of the episode. The battle was nice and spectacular but not related to the core mystery of the overall story.

I wonder if Jon is misinterpreting and the cave paintings actually say 'using magic Children and humans combined can make White walkers' It's very strange that the White Walkers organise bodies in exactly the same patterns as the Children's symbols.

D&D explain in the post-video that those symbols were inherited from the Children of the Forest, as a consequence of having been created by them. The historical events depicted by those shapes have apparently been deduced as important within the ancient history and mythology of Ice and Fire, as they appear in scenes that are significant in terms of decoding those myths.

In case you're not already familiar with the theory, it's basically that the Long Night was a consequence of some ancient sorcery that caused one of Planetos's two moons to be destroyed by a comet while it was in eclipse formation against the sun. That idea is represented visually by the circles with the lines drawn through them, and the smaller circle inside the larger circle. Respectively, those are images of the moon bisected by a stellar collision, and a sun with a moon eclipsing it, and a sun possibly radiating cosmic debris after the collsion.

At the risk of over-nerding on book stuff in the TV thread, there is one particular scene in SoS in which Yoren draws a shape in the sand for Arya:

It was midday when the others returned. Woth reported a wooden bridge half a mile downstream, but someone had burned it up. Yoren peeled a sourleaf off the bale. "Might be we could swim the horses over, maybe the donkeys, but there's no way we'll get those wagons across. And there's smoke to the north and west, more fires, could be this side o' the river's the place we want to be." He picked up a long stick and drew a circle in the mud, a line trailing down from it. "That's Gods Eye, with the river flowing south. We're here." He poked a hole beside the line of the river, under the circle. "We can't go round west of the lake, like I thought. East takes us back to the kingsroad." He moved the stick up to where the line and circle met. "Near as I recall, there's a town here. The holdfast's stone, and there's a lordling got his seat there too, just a towerhouse, but he'll have a guard, might be a knight or two. We follow the river north, should be there before dark. They'll have boats, so I mean to sell all we got and hire us one." He drew the stick up through the circle of the lake, from bottom to top. "Gods be good, we'll find a wind and sail across the Gods Eye to Harrentown." He thrust the point down at the top of the circle. 

That's the circle with the line through it that appears several times in the cave drawings, always next to a sun. Apparently D&D knew this image was significant from the outset, as the corpse arrangement in the Season 1 prologue scene shows. 

Just now, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

No kidding. Arya can never just walk through the front gates by herself.

yeah it's hard for these scenes not to echo season 1, and it would probably be even weirder if they never stopped to reminisce about the last time they were all together.

1 minute ago, Apoplexy said:

I don't think Arya couldve withstood Brienne's sword making contact with Needle. But I suppose they wanted to show that Arya took Brienne by surprise.

Yeah, that the only thing I disliked. It takes more strength to re-direct the oncoming swing of a sword. It's one thing to see Oberyn do it against a one handed wielding mountain, and another thing to see Arya with niddle doing to Briene at full swing. 

1 hour ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

I can't believe people in this forum are more bothered by Daenerys' "bend the knee" arc (guys this makes sense she is still getting to know Jon) than "Cersei is a badass". I love me some Cersei Lannister, but this is ridiculous. The fact that she is downplaying every single person in Westeros (including fucking Varys and Tyrion), and now got the Iron Bank support apparently, is too much for me. I want to rant and rave.

I think I'm one of those people.  Dany annoys me more than Cersei, because I feel confident that Cersei will have a terrible end.  I don't mind her being insane until that time happens.  Dany will come out on top, so I have higher expectations of her.  May not be fair, but there it is.  (In real life, I would hate Cersei much more...)

25 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Arya fought in a style Brienne was completely unfamiliar with. Brienne was also holding back to begin with. Arya also learned her lesson fighting Sandor and do didn't try stabbing an armored opponent. She evaded until she saw an opening.  I didn't find it anymore ridiculous than when she changes her face.  The girl had a training from Hell and is now a badass with a Valyrian steel dagger. I also suspect Brienne will be more wary when they duel again. 

I think you're exactly right.  Arya has also learned to use her very small size to her advantage.  Now that Brienne is aware of how she fights, she should be better prepared.

1 hour ago, Pandean said:

They used Littlefinger's time machine.

Every time I see Sophie act I'm amazed at the way she portrays those shifts

Also I just love the range of attitudes and emotions Sansa has this season, from her interactions with her siblings to her being Lady Regent to her sass at Littlefinger

I agree on Sansa's range.  There was a time when she was also in the frozen-look category like Dany.  This is much better.

56 minutes ago, plectrum said:

Saved from dragon fire, Jamie went on to drown shortly thereafter, weighted down by his stupid golden hand...

LOL.  But I did think those final moments--racing into the dragon's mouth, the leap by Bronn, and the underwater sequence, were beautifully done.

47 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Definitely the best episode so far this season.  I assume that Bronn will fish Jaime out of the water before the latter drowns, and they both avoid Dany's pep talk to the Lannister survivors...

That might be worth almost drowning...

45 minutes ago, Corvinus said:
  • The intensity of seeing likable characters fighting against each other. I think this is the 2nd battle where this happens, after Castle Black, but I don't think Tormund and Ygritte were quite as likable then, as some of these characters are now; I didn't want Bronn to kill Drogon (and Dany) but at the same time I didn't want him to die, either; I didn't want Jaime to kill Dany, but at the same I didn't want him to die either. 

My feelings exactly.  it's this type of inner conflict that makes this such a great story.  

39 minutes ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

I saw Walder Frey flirting with you before you killed him you looked beautiful

14 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I see you posed as a underage whore and stabbed a pedophile in both eyes before slicing his throat you looked beautiful

I think you guys just started the best new meme on the internet.  Add some pics and go viral!

7 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

That scene between Theon and Jon... I loved how Theon said, "Jon, didn't know you where here"

That scene made me think of the scene in S1E1 when the 3 boys (Robb, John, and Theon) are having their hair cut in prep for king's visit.  It kinda made me sad.

A few points:

• I'm glad they gave Meera a farewell on screen.  Also glad that she was the one who berated Bran for being such a jerk and reminded him of all the people who died for him.  
  • Rickon and Uncle Benjen deserve mentions, people!
  • Now that Cersei has the gold but Jaime is presumably missing or presumed dead, how will she react?