[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

11 minutes ago, cgrav said:

D&D explain in the post-video that those symbols were inherited from the Children of the Forest, as a consequence of having been created by them. The historical events depicted by those shapes have apparently been deduced as important within the ancient history and mythology of Ice and Fire, as they appear in scenes that are significant in terms of decoding those myths.

In case you're not already familiar with the theory, it's basically that the Long Night was a consequence of some ancient sorcery that caused one of Planetos's two moons to be destroyed by a comet while it was in eclipse formation against the sun. That idea is represented visually by the circles with the lines drawn through them, and the smaller circle inside the larger circle. Respectively, those are images of the moon bisected by a stellar collision, and a sun with a moon eclipsing it, and a sun possibly radiating cosmic debris after the collsion.

At the risk of over-nerding on book stuff in the TV thread, there is one particular scene in SoS in which Yoren draws a shape in the sand for Arya:

That's the circle with the line through it that appears several times in the cave drawings, always next to a sun. Apparently D&D knew this image was significant from the outset, as the corpse arrangement in the Season 1 prologue scene shows. 

Is there somewhere that explains this theory more, because I have to admit I don't understand how people could come up with this from The World of Ice and Fire

1 hour ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Definitely the best episode so far this season.  I assume that Bronn will fish Jaime out of the water before the latter drowns, and they both avoid Dany's pep talk to the Lannister survivors...

Totally agree. There's no way Dany is getting her hands on Bronn and Jaime.

I have to admit that despite having read the spoilers I was worried for Bronn, which actually meant I felt something for a character for the first time since about season 4. That was nice.

Apart from the Dragonstone parts I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that the archers were aiming for the dragon and not the rider (although that seems to be a recurring thing in Targaryen history), and that Bronn was tasked with manning the scorpion instead of chopping through the Dothraki, and of course Dany's an idiot for deliberately burning the grain she was supposed to feed her army with but overall I enjoyed it, certainly more than any episodes from S5 and 6. Oh, and Arya beating Brienne was awful. If I never read the word 'badass' again in relation to Arya it will be way too soon.

I think it was a bit anticlimactic how LF just handed the dagger to Bran, who handed it to Arya. I know there's definitely going to be payoff with him giving her the dagger but the previews made it seem like it might be more interesting than that.

3 minutes ago, nara said:

I think I'm one of those people.  Dany annoys me more than Cersei, because I feel confident that Cersei will have a terrible end.  I don't mind her being insane until that time happens.  Dany will come out on top, so I have higher expectations of her.  May not be fair, but there it is.  (In real life, I would hate Cersei much more...)

I agree on Sansa's range.  There was a time when she was also in the frozen-look category like Dany.  This is much better.

I think you guys just started the best new meme on the internet.  Add some pics and go viral!

I honestly hope Dany doesn't come out on top. IDK, I feel like it *might* be too predictable...then again...

Sansa's range is so great. Also, Emilia Clarke's acting and Dany's frozen on one look and emotion is really starting to get to me

Maybe if you stopped talking about the throne and your birthright for a minute....

And dude, I have no clue how to make memes but you go for it I'll keep supplying them

__

I saw you savagely murdering your rapist husband with his own hounds; you looked beautiful.

16 minutes ago, Snormund said:

I suppose the people defending the Arya duel think Frodo could have beaten Aragorn in single combat too. 

You're obviously stuck in the world of fantasy. That's certainly makes you an expert in fencing/fighting. You probably believe that the Oberyn v Mountain fight was realistic.

Haven't had time to read this entire thread so forgive me if I'm being repetitive.. but how the f**k can Jaime be riding along the shoreline, the get knocked 10 feet off shore and still manage to fall into a bottomless abyss? HE'S 10 FEET OFF SHORE!!!! It feels insulting that we're supposed to treat this like a cliffhanger when all he has to do is stand up! I half expect the next episode to start with Jaime thrashing about in 8" of water like the Black Knight in Robin Hood: Men in Tights

28 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

In the aftershow D&D said something about the White Walkers using the symbols of their creators, the Children. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what that would mean or why they would be doing that. 

It's a Satanic inversion and parody of the Children of the Forest's symbols.

The CoTF made the cold hell that is the WW with the very best of intentions: to give men their just desserts, and put "balance" back into the world.

The idea that the WW are still fulfilling that balance ethos is mistaken.

In a sense, GRRM is taking the piss at Lucas' simplistic pantheism (the force).

The CoTF ended up creating a Frankenstein deathmonster (the WW), even though they intended to simply "balance things out".

There is a whole Luciferian/Frankenstein thing with the WW -- they, esp the NK, are evil angels.  

But also a Job-like aspect.  

A prime motivator for the WW using CoTF symbols may be that they resent being born: they curse their creator ... think of the Replicants in Blade Runner.  The NK wants nothing more than to put out the eyes of their Dr Eldon Tyrell.  I'm guessing that more than anything they thus want to destroy the two things from which they come: CoTF (which includes Bran now as a greenseer) and men (especially First Men and Starks).  They've succeeded with the CoTF, just men to go.

I think all the ecological astronomical stuff is either wrong or just handwaving.

9 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

Is there somewhere that explains this theory more, because I have to admit I don't understand how people could come up with this from The World of Ice and Fire

LmL's essays/podcasts explain it. Search YouTube or wherever for Mythical Astronomy of Ice and Fire, or just go straight to lucifermeanslightbringer.com. Might seem far fetched at first, but it's meticulously researched and supported, as well as absurdly consistent within the text of the books.

Good video introduction of the topic: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXNXT2MxtKPhsBmhFWE6xsg

Edited by cgrav

I posted this in another thread, but seriously there is no way that Olenna wouldn't use all that gold to hire GC or Faceless Men already as weapons against Cersei. She is the last Tyrell in the show, there is no point in not going all in.

Edited by Bosfan

1 hour ago, cgrav said:

D&D explain in the post-video that those symbols were inherited from the Children of the Forest, as a consequence of having been created by them. The historical events depicted by those shapes have apparently been deduced as important within the ancient history and mythology of Ice and Fire, as they appear in scenes that are significant in terms of decoding those myths.

In case you're not already familiar with the theory, it's basically that the Long Night was a consequence of some ancient sorcery that caused one of Planetos's two moons to be destroyed by a comet while it was in eclipse formation against the sun. That idea is represented visually by the circles with the lines drawn through them, and the smaller circle inside the larger circle. Respectively, those are images of the moon bisected by a stellar collision, and a sun with a moon eclipsing it, and a sun possibly radiating cosmic debris after the collsion.

At the risk of over-nerding on book stuff in the TV thread, there is one particular scene in SoS in which Yoren draws a shape in the sand for Arya:

That's the circle with the line through it that appears several times in the cave drawings, always next to a sun. Apparently D&D knew this image was significant from the outset, as the corpse arrangement in the Season 1 prologue scene shows. 

Did Planetos definitely have 2 moons and now has 1? Or did it have 1 and now has none, or have 1 and now has a broken one? I don't really buy it but there are some who think Planetos may be post apocalyptic Earth - kind of like Sword of Shannara.

And, how does the God's Eye - which is an island in Westeros - relate to a solar (or at least orbital) event? Is that island the broken moon, or a part of it?

Is dragonglass a part of the broken moon? I do remember theory's that when they first made dragons, in Asshai, it caused the moon to break. Perhaps it's the other way around, like a larger chunk of moon rock fell on Asshai and enabled the sorcerers there to make dragons for the first time?

And, besides all of this, if the White Walkers are just a weapon that got out of control, why bother programming them with some ancient mystery?

Edited by ummester

1 minute ago, Bosfan said:

I posted this in another thread, but seriously there is no way that Olenna wouldn't use all that gold to hire GC or Faceless Men already as weapons against Cersei. She is the last Tyrell in the show there is no point in not going all in.

Yeah, really. She said all she had to live for was revenge, and being the last Tyrell there's no reason to keep stock piles of gold just laying around. She would have hired every sellsword and every faceless man if that really were the way she had felt. Sadly, I think they butchered Olenna's character last week with their Highgarden plot. 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Poor Meera. I hope Bran never becomes a creepy jerk in the books. BR seemed pretty BR-ish in the books.

I have forgotten details from the books. But didn't Bran realize he was in love wit Meera at one point? So perhaps Bran is being a cold jerk to her to make sure she leaves? It seems Meera is hoping he will ask her to stay.

40 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Arya fights with Super Death God Assassin Magic and people are arguing about the physics of rapiers and broadswords.

Okay.

“Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities.”

They made Brienne out to be the best sword fighter on the show. She's big and brutal, and she's everywhere YASS SLAY QUEENing and kicking the crap out of all the men that have been training their whole lives and are the best of the best.

Arya has been training for a few years, and she's a small girl.

They spar with real weapons, not even wooden practice swords, and of course Arya not just holds her own, she bests Brienne with her amazing agility.

This is like a teenage girl training at basketball for a few years and suddenly she's one of the best guards in the NBA.

It's horrible fan service. Total Joss Whedon-esque cheese.