[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

I forgot to add that Bran is a massive asshole now. I mean, we knew 'saw you got raped, you looked hot though' was bad but it turns out that now he can't even be kind to Meera, who he was acting normal with up until he crossed south of the wall, I have to point out. Meera better be bringing her dear dad into the game, I love her and don't want her to just vanish, plus everyone is dying for Howland Reed (who I have no doubt will be minimised if not outright erased from the show).

1 hour ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I have forgotten details from the books. But didn't Bran realize he was in love wit Meera at one point? So perhaps Bran is being a cold jerk to her to make sure she leaves? It seems Meera is hoping he will ask her to stay.

I wish that, I really do. Bran is in love with her in the books but she's considerably older and clearly sees him as her liege lord and the super important seer/warg/future 3ER. In the show, despite the fact that he was also considerably younger (I think he was 9 or 10 initially) it seems more like Meera is in love with him. Him wanting to protect her would be sweet and in line with the books but this is the show, and everything is exactly what it seems. He's just a dick now. Funny how BR managed to be polite and human, but Bran's just above it all.

One thing that made me super happy was the Dothraki bowmen. I said to my husband 'Dothraki learn to use a bow on horseback as soon as they can ride, it would sure be handy for them to have some archers right now' and a couple of minutes later they appeared.

My husband and I both cringed through Dragonstone though. Christ, why have they reduced Davos to a Dany x Jon shipper?

Does anyone actually really want to see show Dany with show Jon? They're going to have the most deadpan, monotone sex ever.

Edited by The Bear

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

All the reunions! The Theon and Jon one was a bit underwhelming 

I literally forgot that one had happened by the end of the episode. I asked my friend, "So, now that Theon is the entire pro-Dany Ironborn faction, he's obviously going to have to meet one of the Starks, how do you think that will go?" and only remembered halfway through the last word…

* Is it just me or is Davos flirting hardcore with Missandei? Ya boy better keep it in his trousers or Greyworm is likely to go Unsullied on him.

* That Theon & Jon reunion was classic. 

* Can one of the GoT spin off's HBO is considering please be "Jon Snow: Amateur Archeologist"? 

* Daeny really cut Tyrion down to size after that Casterly Rock fiasco. :D

* Y'all, I'm about done with these speechless looks from Littlefinger. Arya needs to stab his ass with that dagger already.

* Bronn's gonna get his castle now for sure. If he isn't ded that is.

3 hours ago, plectrum said:

Good to see Bran made it back indoors after Sansa left him in the snow last week...

Homeboy has a wheelchair now, so that won't be problem in the future.

6 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I forgot to add that Bran is a massive asshole now...

After his conversation with Meera I feel just the opposite. He's not Bran anymore but the Three-Eyed-Raven. Who Bran was is a part of him, but he's got a world of memories in him now and he didn't get the proper training on how to sort through them. I think that's why he's a bit wonky with people and his visions now. ("Chaos is  a ladder.")

23 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I forgot to add that Bran is a massive asshole now. I mean, we knew 'saw you got raped, you looked hot thought' was bad but it turns out that now he can't even be kind to Meera, who he was acting normal with up until he crossed south of the wall

Of course, as Jamie goes good, Bran will go bad. Wait until bran remembers who pushed him out the window - I'm surprised he hasn't already. But, I'm liking show Bran, sure his acting isn't perfect but I like the idea of seeing and knowing so much that it breaks your mind and makes you sour.

25 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Does anyone actually really want to see show Dany with show Jon? They're going to have the most deadpan, monotone sex ever.

Definitely not - Ygritte is the love of Jon's life and she had some (often psychopathic :D) personality and character to offset his serious broodiness. Dany and Jon will be too much - the most uptight, broody and serious couple in the 7 kingdoms :D

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Totally agree. There's no way Dany is getting her hands on Bronn and Jaime.

I have to admit that despite having read the spoilers I was worried for Bronn, which actually meant I felt something for a character for the first time since about season 4. That was nice.

Apart from the Dragonstone parts I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that the archers were aiming for the dragon and not the rider (although that seems to be a recurring thing in Targaryen history), and that Bronn was tasked with manning the scorpion instead of chopping through the Dothraki, and of course Dany's an idiot for deliberately burning the grain she was supposed to feed her army with but overall I enjoyed it, certainly more than any episodes from S5 and 6. Oh, and Arya beating Brienne was awful. If I never read the word 'badass' again in relation to Arya it will be way too soon.

I think it was a bit anticlimactic how LF just handed the dagger to Bran, who handed it to Arya. I know there's definitely going to be payoff with him giving her the dagger but the previews made it seem like it might be more interesting than that.

I think they were just aiming center mass style but it seemed to me that Drogon pulled up to protect his mistress.  Also, intentional or not, he seemed to avoid exposing her for most of the battle (no dives straight down to come in low, etc).  Though that could all be unintentional on the showmakers' part.

On the topic of the dagger...my money is on that dagger ending Cersei, Littlefinger, or both.

3 hours ago, cgrav said:

@LmL @ravenous reader 

While I'm sure you're loathe to mingle book and show material, I think you'll be amused to see that tonight's episode features a whole bunch of Mythical Astronomy cave drawings! Many paired paired images of a sun and a "gods eye" eclipse-type shape, or a circle with a line through it (as drawn by Yoren in the sand next to the Gods Eye).

Yeah I'm all over it. Going to make an emergency video if I can. You saw the same thing I did my brother. And yeah, that Yoren quote jumped to mind for sure. We also saw that symbol when Dany burned Drogon - there was an overhead shot that shows it, I highlighted it in my video. 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Come on, it's going to be hot. A bloodless undead fire wight, what part of that isn't hot? I mean if you skip the bloodless, undead, and wight parts, it's fire, and fire is hot.

• Dany: My dragon, Viserion, is dead.
  • Jon: Speaking of dead, have I mentioned the Army of the Dead in the last 3 minutes?
  • Dany: And I'm sad about this.
  • Jon: <grim silence>
  • Dany: Because I have emotions.
  • Jon: I too have emotions. About the Army of the Dead.
  • Dany: So we'll have sex now.
  • Dany: Oh, Daenerys Targaryen, Stormborn, Unburnt, Mother of Dragons.
  • Tyrion: You know, Jon, most people couldn't pull off looking so brooding while having sex with a beautiful girl, but somehow it works for you.
  • Dany: Oh, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.
  • Tyrion: You guys forgot we were here, didn't you? All that intense concentration, I guess. Which is not how people normally do this, but whatever works for you.
  • Dany: Oh, Queen of Meereen, Breaker of Chains.
  • Tyrion: Also, calling out your own name and titles is weird enough, but doing it in that flat monotone is even weirder. You could at least get a little breathy or something.
  • Davos: Hey, Missandei, that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what sex is like back on Naath.
  • Missandei: I really can't tell if you're being creepy, or are just really into ethnology.
  • Davos: I'm not sure myself. All I know is, as long as King Snow is getting laid, nothing else matters.
  • Tyrion: Now that's creepy. Also, how did you survive all those years under Stannis?
  • Davos: King Baratheon? He used to nail Melisandre on the map table.
  • Tyrion: Remind me not to take my lunches at the map table anymore.
  • Dany: Oh, Protector of the—we're done.
  • Dany: As I was saying, if you will bend the knee, I will defend the North with my three dragons.
  • Missandei: Two dragons, my Queen.
  • Dany: Oh, yes, that is the thing I was having emotions in regard to. Jon, did we have sex because of that?
  • Jon: I think so. Have I mentioned the Army of the Dead?

25 minutes ago, BradDoty08 said:

And is the general consensus that Jamie is dead? Is it possible he actually does survive and Dany takes him prisoner? 

I'd say the possibilities, in decreasing order of likelihood, are:

• Bronn fishes him out of the water downstream.
  • Tyrion points him out and the Dothraki fish him out and take him prisoner.
  • He washes up on his own somewhere unconscious but inexplicably alive, and has to do the long crawl back to civilization that every male character does on this show (most recently Theon) even though he's actually only a few miles from KL and can march half a continent in under a week.
  • He washes up on his own somewhere unconscious and also amnesiac and builds a new life for himself as a happy smallfolk farmer until he's implausibly spotted by Tarly months later in episode 7 and brought back to work for his sister, still without his memories.
  • He drowns but comes back to life so now he can challenge Euron to a new Kingsmoot.
  • The Lannisters are secretly descended from the legendary fish-people of the sunken ruins of whichever Rhoynar city that was, so Jaime discovers he can breathe underwater.
  • D&D actually killed off one of their favorite characters in the middle of S7 with his arc left unfinished.

10 minutes ago, falcotron said:
  • Bronn fishes him out of the water downstream.
  • Tyrion points him out and the Dothraki fish him out and take him prisoner.

I agree the first is most likely but I'd quite like second one and we can have a call back scene with Tyrion visiting Jaime in a cell this time which would be pretty cool

48 minutes ago, BradDoty08 said:

And is the general consensus that Jamie is dead? Is it possible he actually does survive and Dany takes him prisoner? 

Jaime's sinking scene with his hands open seemed to imply to me that the thing dragging him down into the depths was his fake hand of gold. We were reminded of the hand earlier in the episode as well - when Jaime said he couldn't use the scorpion with one hand. 

Bronn jumped in with him, so I think next episode we will see Bronn unfasten the gold hand and let it sink to the depths, while rescuing Jamie. (I accept that the armor would also be quite heavy as well, but perhaps it is plot armor, are we don't have to worry about it, or Tyrion will have recognised him and will come help...)

When they get out of the water the dragon might not actually be poised to burn them. Dany is killing those that try to kill her - but those practically drowning in the water they would be defenceless. It doesn't accord with her character to just blast them the second they emerge from the water. She would hold fire. That probably gives enough time for Tyrion to recognise Bronn and Jaime (if he hasn't done already - it seemed to me like he recognised Jamie when he said 'you fucking idiot' that second time - which gives him enough time to run to the scene while Jaime is still underwater).

Jaime will be a captive again - enough time to respect Dany maybe, tell her about real the circumstances under which he killed her father. A Bronn-Tyrion reunion would also be interesting. 

What's most interesting I think will be letting the golden hand sink. Cersei gave it to Jaime - she is like the golden shackle submerging him into darkness. There has to be an arc leading Jaime away from her - maybe this will finally be its start! 

2 hours ago, falcotron said:

Come on, it's going to be hot. A bloodless undead fire wight, what part of that isn't hot? I mean if you skip the bloodless, undead, and wight parts, it's fire, and fire is hot.

• Dany: My dragon, Viserion, is dead.
  • Jon: Speaking of dead, have I mentioned the Army of the Dead in the last 3 minutes?
  • Dany: And I'm sad about this.
  • Dany: Because I have emotions.
  • Jon: I too have emotions. About the Army of the Dead.
  • Dany: So we'll have sex now.
  • Dany: Oh, Daenerys Targaryen, Stormborn, Unburnt, Mother of Dragons.
  • Tyrion: You know, Jon, most people couldn't pull off looking so brooding while having sex with a beautiful girl, but somehow it works for you.
  • Dany: Oh, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.
  • Tyrion: You guys forgot we were here, didn't you? All that intense concentration, I guess. Which is not how people normally do this, but whatever works for you.
  • Dany: Oh, Queen of Meereen, Breaker of Chains.
  • Tyrion: Also, calling out your own name and titles is weird enough, but doing it in that flat monotone is even weirder. You could at least get a little breathy or something.
  • Davos: Hey, Missandei, that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what sex is like back on Naath.
  • Missandei: I really can't tell if you're being creepy, or are just really into ethnology.
  • Davos: I'm not sure myself. All I know is, as long as King Snow is getting laid, nothing else matters.
  • Tyrion: Now that's creepy. Also, how did you survive all those years under Stannis?
  • Davos: King Baratheon? He used to nail Melisandre on the map table.
  • Tyrion: Remind me not to take my lunches at the map table anymore.
  • Dany: Oh, Protector of the—we're done.
  • Dany: As I was saying, if you will bend the knee, I will defend the North with my three dragons.
  • Missandei: Two dragons, my Queen.
  • Dany: Oh, yes, that is the thing I was having emotions in regard to. Jon, did we have sex because of that?
  • Jon: I think so. Have I mentioned the Army of the Dead?

i died. I'm dead.

38 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Clever of Jon to sneak into the caves in the middle of the night and do those doodles on the walls.  What I'm wondering about is not whether Jaime's dead (doubt that) but where did Jon find the chalk?

Yea, I read that one on Reddit - pretty funny though, he quickly doodled in the Walkers before showing Dany :D

On a different note, I watched the episode again, with headphones and could still not really make out what Tyrion was saying?

Was it

Who are you idiot?

Jamie charges

You fucking idiot?

Why doesn't Tyrion recognise Jamie?

Edited by ummester

12 minutes ago, ummester said:

Yea, I heard that one on Reddit - pretty funny though, he quickly doodled in the Walkers before showing Dany :D

On a different not, I watched the episode again, with headphones and could still not really make out what Tyrion was saying?

Was it

Who are you idiot?

Jamie charges

You fucking idiot?

i think he recognised him, he just didn't want him to kill himself by charging a dragon,he is his brother after all.

13 minutes ago, ummester said:

Yea, I read that one on Reddit - pretty funny though, he quickly doodled in the Walkers before showing Dany :D

On a different note, I watched the episode again, with headphones and could still not really make out what Tyrion was saying?

Was it

Who are you idiot?

Jamie charges

You fucking idiot?

Apparently, what Tyrion said first when Jaime seemed frozen was "Flee you idiot" (yeah, he recognized him) and when Jaime charged at Dany, it was "You fucking idiot."