[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

1 minute ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Apparently, what Tyrion said first when Jaime seemed frozen was "Flee you idiot" (yeah, he recognized him) and when Jaime charged at Dany, it was "You fucking idiot."

Ah, that makes a lot of sense - cheers. Couldn't understand Dinklage's voice at all though :D

8 hours ago, Illiterati said:

A thought.......they have all this obsidian.....

Someone needs to figure out how to create weapons from it....

They happen to know a blacksmith, if they can only find him.....

Yes!

8 hours ago, Lord Godric said:

Yeah, really. She said all she had to live for was revenge, and being the last Tyrell there's no reason to keep stock piles of gold just laying around. She would have hired every sellsword and every faceless man if that really were the way she had felt. Sadly, I think they butchered Olenna's character last week with their Highgarden plot. 

I believe she went to HG to assemble her troops.  Perhaps she sent for sellswords too and was awaiting them.  I agree, that was a plot hole and I'm just trying to fill it with my imagination.

7 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I have forgotten details from the books. But didn't Bran realize he was in love wit Meera at one point? So perhaps Bran is being a cold jerk to her to make sure she leaves? It seems Meera is hoping he will ask her to stay.

Bran had a crush on her, but that was before his transformation.

7 hours ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

Speaking of Olenna being dumb, how could she possibly have been surprised that a poison called the motherfucking STRANGLER would not be a pleasant way for joffrey to die? 

I believe that LF provided the poison so she may not have known before using it.  Or perhaps, she was just being a bitch to Jaime.

44 minutes ago, ummester said:

So I guess it wasn't 'who are you idiot?' he said first? need subs :D

I believe it was "flee, you idiot"

10 hours ago, falcotron said:

The Arya at the gates scene was kind of cool, but some of the lines are silly. Why ask "Which Lady Stark?" when she already knows Sansa is alive and well at Winterfell? What other Lady Stark did she think it might be?

Jon's lady wife, for example. It would be a perfectly reasonable guess.

9 hours ago, Snormund said:

I suppose the people defending the Arya duel think Frodo could have beaten Aragorn in single combat too. 

Well, let's back off and be a little honest here:  

Frodo could turn invisible on A's butt and make his job a hundred times harder.

Arya could fight B blindfolded and show her a few things (both of them blindfolded).  She didn't need it but always had that in reserve.

11 hours ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

As much as Daenerys is a brat, sorry guys but she isn't the Mad Queen. She is holding her dragons at bay. In the meantime, Cersei blew up a portion of the city killing a lot of people and no one is addressing that? Where is this show's (and its audience's) logic?

On this I totally agree. Cersei is the Mad Queen. She will show us that once again in the end, I think

11 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I just can't handle another pseudo-death anymore

Bron saves Jamie from the fire. It is not entirely clear Jamie survives but it will be resolved next episode.

I did get the feeling last week that Jamie might go out in episode 6 and so we would see the full Cersei unbound thing.

11 hours ago, plectrum said:

OK, one actual gripe from this season: Brienne is now a prop.  She was one of the most interesting characters in GoT during the first seasons.  Now her only role is to play a foil so that Arya can show what a badass she is.  That seems to be happening with a lot of the peripheral characters this year.

Brienne is a knight, trained to bash peasant's heads in on horseback. Arya is demonstrating that the can take out Sandor Clegane.

11 hours ago, The Knight of Flours said:

The scene earlier said that the gold had gone through the gates at King's Landing..

The minute Jamie said that, I thought, dragons coming...

It stands to reason you would move the gold as fast as possible. Armies take a long time to gather up.

11 hours ago, xjlxking said:

No doubt, i just wish that a slim sword wouldn't change a 2 handed swords swing direction

It's practically impossible; and she was doing it one handed ;D

With that said, I agreed, it was a nice scene 

Brienne's sword is absurdly large. It would be almost unusable. But that is Hollywood tradition. Arya's sword is appropriately sized for her, one of the few that is.

I think that this was a very good episode. I've given up hope that we will get GRRM's quality of dialogues going forward, but this was a decent effort, all things considered. It was action packed and it went by in a flash. For the first time in a while I felt a real sense of surprise and disappointment when the end credits appeared because I wanted to see more of the story unfold right now.

Some random observations:

• Daenerys insisting that Jon "bend the knee" is getting tedious. For a person who spent so much time trying to introduce equality into the lands she conquered (abolishing slavery), she sure is hell-bent on the "do as I say, not as I do" modus operandi. I wonder if she will do an about face or go further and further into typical tyrant mode.
  • There seems to be a lot of criticism about the fact that Cersei still has support of a lot of people in King's London... I mean King's Landing. It's actually not that outlandish. Commoners in the city don't know much of what is going on behind the scenes. They are probably relieved to be free of the religious fanatics who attempted to control every facet of their lives so blowing up the Sept of Baelor, which likely contained the land's big wigs, may have struck a positive cord with the masses. Let's also not forget the power of propaganda. A lot of Russians still worship Stalin, and millions are supporters of Putin today. People can be easily manipulated to support the very tyranny that oppresses them.
  • Bran Stark... I seem to be in the minority here, but I think that his character right now is spot on. He is no longer human ("you died in that cave"), so it's a fallacy to try to fit a square peg of a non-human intelligence into a round hole of humanity. He has acquired supernatural abilities far surpassing any other human being, but it came at a price. He is no longer capable of truly experiencing familial or romantic affection as his interactions with Sansa and Meera distinctly showed.
  • Arya Stark being as good of a melee fighter as Brienne is a bunch of rubbish. A fan pandering scene if I ever saw one. Brienne's sheer mass, strength, and the size of her sword would have cut through Arya like melted butter. Why couldn't they just keep Arya as a cunning, stealthy assassin, which they spent a couple of seasons' worth of painstaking character build up to establish? :facepalm:

Despite some nitpicks above, I think this was a 8/10 episode. Perhaps a 9/10 depending on how things develop from here.

23 minutes ago, hallam said:

Bron saves Jamie from the fire. It is not entirely clear Jamie survives but it will be resolved next episode.

I did get the feeling last week that Jamie might go out in episode 6 and so we would see the full Cersei unbound thing.

Brienne is a knight, trained to bash peasant's heads in on horseback. Arya is demonstrating that the can take out Sandor Clegane.

The minute Jamie said that, I thought, dragons coming...

It stands to reason you would move the gold as fast as possible. Armies take a long time to gather up.

Brienne's sword is absurdly large. It would be almost unusable. But that is Hollywood tradition. Arya's sword is appropriately sized for her, one of the few that is.

I bet he wouldn't. This is is the same cliffhanger "dead or not" as they used with Jon. With Jaime we won't have to wait that long. 

Actually Arya couldn't take down Sandor Clegane as we have seen in s3-s4, though she tried his Braavosi skills on him. If I recall correctly and don't confuse it with the books, the Hound was wounded and hungry when he fought with Brienne, which gave her advantage of course. 

I wonder how Arya's sword grows with her. It was made for 7 y.o. but somehow perfectly fits a say 14.y.o.

12 hours ago, Risto said:

Well, they are closer to KL than they are to Highgarden, which means that it is plausible for Dany to ambush them since her army was in Dragonstone, which is located much closer to KL, than Highgarden is.

One nitpick I would have though, or maybe not a nitpick so much as a question; how much of her fleet is left at Dragonstone? I'm surprised she had enough ships left to ferry the Dothraki considering the loss of the Iron Fleet and the ships her Unsullied took

16 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I bet he wouldn't. This is is the same cliffhanger "dead or not" as they used with Jon. With Jaime we won't have to wait that long. 

Actually Arya couldn't take down Sandor Clegane as we have seen in s3-s4, though she tried his Braavosi skills on him. If I recall correctly and don't confuse it with the books, the Hound was wounded and hungry when he fought with Brienne, which gave her advantage of course. 

I wonder how Arya's sword grows with her. It was made for 7 y.o. but somehow perfectly fits a say 14.y.o.

The Hound doesn't fight Brienne in the books so you aren't confusing things. In the show he has been bitten in a fight with Rorge and Biter (Arya treat the injury once or twice iirc). I don't think it really gave her much of an advantage though, it wasn't really shown to handicap him at all during the fight.

Looks like Jonearis is going to be happening in the near future. It was pretty much inevitable from the start. They are both single, they are both sovereigns by right of arms and by popular acclaim. They both have a powerful political need for the alliance. Davos and Varys are likely to put the proposal to them.

The irony for folk shipping Jon and Sansa who think they are half brother and sister is that Jon and Danny are Aunt and Nephew. And there is that thing about Jon actually having a stronger claim to the throne than Danny. But Targs were in for the incests thing.

We don't know who proposed sacking the loot train but we did see Jon point out that Danny cannot destroy castles with her dragons. The bigger issue in a short while is going to be famine in the whole of Westeros but especially Kings Landing.

The showrunners have to get the whole show move up north, including Cersei. Taking Jamie out seems to be a part of that. Either Jamie is dead or he is captured. Either way, he is not going to be there to fight Cersei's land battles. Furthermore, Danny and Jon have proven themselves personally, Cersei has not. 

46 minutes ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:
  • There seems to be a lot of criticism about the fact that Cersei still has support of a lot of people in King's London... I mean King's Landing. It's actually not that outlandish. Commoners in the city don't know much of what is going on behind the scenes. They are probably relieved to be free of the religious fanatics who attempted to control every facet of their lives so blowing up the Sept of Baelor, which likely contained the land's big wigs, may have struck a positive cord with the masses. Let's also not forget the power of propaganda. A lot of Russians still worship Stalin, and millions are supporters of Putin today. People can be easily manipulated to support the very tyranny that oppresses them.

I agree with you, which is why it's a pity that they didn't use the Hot Pie scene to reinforce that the smallfolk believe this point of view. Instead, they did the opposite, and made it clear that people knew it was Cersei.

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

One nitpick I would have though, or maybe not a nitpick so much as a question; how much of her fleet is left at Dragonstone? I'm surprised she had enough ships left to ferry the Dothraki considering the loss of the Iron Fleet and the ships her Unsullied took

Well, I suppose she transported the Dothraki on the same ships she brought them to Westeros. She had entire flee of the Masters. If Yara only took Greyjoy fleet, and Greyworm only those that Unsullied came to Westeros, that still leaves her with the fleet that brought Dothraki.

23 minutes ago, nara said:

I agree with you, which is why it's a pity that they didn't use the Hot Pie scene to reinforce that the smallfolk believe this point of view. Instead, they did the opposite, and made it clear that people knew it was Cersei.

It is a bit difficult to believe that Cersei's head is still attached to her body if the majority of King's Landing citizens hold her responsible for the long series of horrible events that befell the city. Perhaps she has a very good PR team or, like mentioned before, the public has a limited and different view of what is happening.

12 hours ago, xander_blackfyre said:

Bran just keeps getting more and more creepy.  I mean not even that scene with Meera was just painful, I mean Thank You, that's it.  

To be fair, it was Jojen who insisted over and over again on Bran going to Three eyed crow, North of the Wall, in the first place. She went to help her feeble brother, not Bran. And when her own brother sacrificed himself - it was his desicion and Bran wasn't glad about that as well - she didn't want even to help Bran. And now she is complaining, as if everything was Bran's fault. Really, what could he tell her to make her feel better about herself - she is depressed since her brother was killed by the wight. Although, yes Bran became creepy emotionless, considering how emotional he always was.
Yes, the scene is painful, but it was necessary to show us that Bran "died" in that cave. I suspect Hodor incident changed him completely. I think he made a huge mistake there and then, which was neccessary for him to learn the main thing about being the Great Greenseer - do not mess with the past and do not intervene. Do you remember how pitifully Bloodraven looked at him when they "visited" Winterfall and he learnt about Hodor being called Walder, as if he knew that something like that would happen. I liked Max von Sydow in this role, by the way.

1 hour ago, hallam said:

Jaime really should have died in this episode though. If he was going to charge Drogon like that he should have been killed. The show decided to save him at least twice in this sequence when he really should have died. I don't want Jaime to die, but I don't understand how the show that prided itself on breaking fantasy norms, not saving the hero at the very last second did it twice with Jaime within a few seconds and with Bronn as well. It was my biggest problem with this episode. 

Assuming any of the dragons survives (and with them turning the Lannister faction into the GoT equivalent of Alexander the Great, that's not a given), but what chance do White Walkers have against a dragon? They're a completely ground-based army. Granted, we haven't seen any of their magic capabilities, other than creating an undead army, but is there anything that would lead us to believe they have some sort of dragon-freezing magic? Is that why the show is making Dany so adamant against helping Jon Snow? Because it would be pretty much "fly 3 dragons...burn entire army of White Walkers...be home for dinner"?

Or??? Do they have undead dragons?!?!? How awesome would that be???