[Poll] How would you rate episode 704?

Ran

How would you rate episode 704?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

This episode raised the bar, so all the previous ten's before it are now down a half a notch. Kinda like figure skating, a "10" given in 1950 would not equate to a ten in 2017. 

The dialogue between Sansa and Arya was just fine, as it should have been awkward at first, the two barely know each other anymore, and never had a close relationship to begin with. 

The fight scene between Breinne and Arya worked, Brienne was going easy on Arya at first, until she discovered Arya was more than capable. And for the record, that fight ended in a draw, not an Arya win, as each fighter had their weapon posed for the kill shot. Why is it people have no issues with Oberyon vs the Mountain, but take issue with Arya vs Brienne?

Jon and Dany are developing just fine, yet some on here have decided long before the season ever started they were going to dismiss this development regardless. 

7 hours ago, StepStark said:

Oh but all those 10s that people regularly give are realistic and objective? What a hypocrisy, to say the least. Even last week there were people who rated episode 3 with 10. So how are those people going to rate episode 4? 20? 100? LOL!!! I don't get all this whining of show lovers, you always seem to feel like victims somehow, even though the show is clearly overrated as hell. I have hard time understanding 10s even for this episode, because the episode had very serious issues, even in the battle scene (but the battle was very exciting and well done in general), but okay, for the sake of argument let's say that this is an episode that deserves 10. But what about all the previous episodes that received all those 10s? Doesn't that actually prove that the show has been hugely overrated for quite some time? This episode that contains the best action scene in the show's history clearly proves that the show is overrated, because retrospectively all those previous "perfect scores" look ridiculous.

All of these ratings mean nothing because my 10 is not going to be your 10. A 10 for someone can mean perfect while for someone else it can mean between a 90% - 100%. Someone's score of a 1 in previous seasons would come from it not being a perfect representation of the book, or from someone who didn't like a particular scene or whatever.

These scores really don't mean anything, but I still bet I'm right that the person who gave this episode a 1 was a book fan who is still not able to separate the show from the books and has hated the show since season 2 but still watches it just to shit on it week after week and post about how much the show sucks. 

1 minute ago, Lord Godric said:

All of these ratings mean nothing because my 10 is not going to be your 10. A 10 for someone can mean perfect while for someone else it can mean between a 90% - 100%. Someone's score of a 1 in previous seasons would come from it not being a perfect representation of the book, or from someone who didn't like a particular scene or whatever.

These scores really don't mean anything, but I still bet I'm right that the person who gave this episode a 1 was a book fan who is still not able to separate the show from the books and has hated the show since season 2 but still watches it just to shit on it week after week and post about how much the show sucks. 

Not sure if they mean "nothing" as you suggest, rather they are subjective to ones own personal tastes, however, as a collective they can be used to gauge which episodes are thought of as the best by the majority. 

As to your second point, some people go into the episode with a pre-conceived notion that it is going to suck, no matter what, and there whole intent is to try to find things to complain about and dislike. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

but I still bet I'm right that the person who gave this episode a 1 was a book fan who is still not able to separate the show from the books and has hated the show since season 2 but still watches it just to shit on it week after week and post about how much the show sucks.

Maybe you are right, but I don't know of any such case in this forum. I have never seen a poster here who dislikes the show just because he's not able to separate it from the books.

17 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

some people go into the episode with a pre-conceived notion that it is going to suck, no matter what, and there whole intent is to try to find things to complain about and dislike.

While many people obviously go into the episode with a pre-conceived notion that it is going to be awesome, and their whole intent is to try to find things to cheer for and like.

Just now, StepStark said:

Maybe you are right, but I don't know of any such case in this forum. I have never seen a poster here who dislikes the show just because he's not able to separate it from the books.

You must be new here. Having been here since before the first season, I've seen plenty of it. 

Well, that was a fun one.  But was it actually a good one?  Again we will be using the Modified McShane Scoring System (MMSS) to answer this question.

DRAGONS? YES (oh yes, there were dragons)

TITS? NO

5/10.  Plus a bonus point for very significant use of dragons.  So we'll start at 6.

1, 2, 3, 4, I DECLARE A CREEPO WAR.  Dr. Branhattan holds court with Littlefinger, who hands over The Valyrian Steel Dagger That Hasn't Mattered In 3 Seasons to Bran, complete with plot synopsis for those of you who don't remember why this dagger was such a big fucking deal before it got completely dropped.  Anyway LF has his usual spin and bullshit about wanting to protect Cat's children and it's kinda hard to tell if Bran's bullshit detector is going off or if he's just Doing The Robot (well, as best he can in Doran Martell's chair, anyway).  He fucks with LF's head by interrupting him at the word "chaos" to remind him that Chaos Is A Ladder and LF is suitably freaked by somebody cribbing his catchphrase.  Meera Reed provides him with a convenient excuse to leave.  And then we proceed to say goodbye to Meera Reed, who is off to understandably check in with her Mysterious Dad and return home since she's technically the heir now.   But not before Dr. Branhattan gets all creepy on her.  "No, I don't."  and "Thank You."  Meera has the sensible reaction in this situation which is a resounding WHAT THE FUCK, plus a list of all the beings that died for your detached ass, Bran.  Ellie Kendrick does a decent job with what I expect will be her last GOT scene, as this smells like Write Out.  Gonna take off a quarter point because Meera should stick around, what with being on the short list of White Walker Killers with Jon and Sam and that sort of thing should be important.  Also would've liked an official thank you from Sansa or even running into Arya, since I think they'd get along.   But her screaming at Dr. Branhattan to be less goofy was gratifying.  As was Bran rattling Creepofinger's cage and giving him something to think about while he hangs around waiting to get cynically and transparently killed in the penultimate "big moment" episode of the reason. (5.75)

Bronn sasses Jaime a bit because he wants to get PAID.  No mention of Lady Stokeworth but Bronn does remind Jaime that he's due a castle and actually asks for Highgarden, lol.  It's only a model, Bronn.  Jaime manages to avoid confusing his gold hand with the many gold bars and directs Bronn to help the Tarlys whip more food out of the peasants.  No major mistakes with this scene but doesn't really establish much.  I'm going to go WASH for the sake of Bronn invoking some Dramatic Irony as he presses the Queen Of Thorns button on Jaime.

STARK FUCKIN' REUNION IN THE MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE as Arya walks up to the open gate of Winterfell and I am bracing myself to have some feels, generous scoring is soon to follow as long as they don't fuck this u-oh here we go immediately with the predictable "Fuck You" reaction from Rosenfatty and Guildenslim.  And here we have a little sliver of why this show, while still fun, doesn't quite have that spark of difference that we loved so much in the early seasons as the books came to life.  ASOIAF rolls a little differently from Every Other Fantasy Story, Ever, and the stock I don't believe you guards who are dicks to Arya for the sake of being props for her to play off with badassary is some Every Other Fantasy Story, Ever pap.  Usual shit.  I don't believe you.  I invoke the right names.  Fuck Off.  They're going to be pissed if they find out you turned me away, etc etc etc.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN.  Not a good start.

So anyway Arya does ninja shit to escape Rosenfatty and Guildenslim, who report to Sansa, who knows where Arya will be.  Good acting from Turner and Williams makes some sub-standard dialogue go down a little easier.  Sansa doesn't mention Bran until the end and doesn't mention Rickon at all for some reason.  Then we have EXTRA REUNION as the girls meet Dr. Branhattan in Doran's chair by the Weirwood.  Bran is SLIGHTLY more reactive to the Arya hug then he's been.  Arya is slightly less perturbed by Bran's ability to see shit he wasn't there for.  And I kinda dig this on both ends.  The more magical Starks are less weirded out by each other and a little closer to each other. Though again, if Bran is only selectively autistic when he wants to fuck with people and a little farmer [edit: warmer, duh, God I'm tired] to family. shouldn't Meera have gotten a little more love?  Yes, she should have.  The Reeds were already the most loyal Stark vassals before Meera dragged him through the snow uphill both ways to the 3ER and back, she should count as basically family by now.  But she's being written out so you're not supposed to give a fuck about her anymore.  Well I DO, so there.  This is going to be my new thing. Anyway, Bran hands over the "wasted on a cripple" valyrian steel dagger to Arya which, since it doesn't have its own fancy name like a sword would, I'm going to give it one.  I hereby dub the Valyrian dagger "Chekov" because that shit is ganking someone by season's end and I'm pretty sure with Arya home and my short haired servant girl theory reduced to red herring that that someone it ganks shall be Littlefinger.  PLUS half a point overall. (6.25)

Plus another quarter point for the Pod & Brienne exchange.  Pod compliments her on a job well done and a vow fulfilled, Brienne explains she didn't really do shit to make this happy family reunion happen, bristles at "My Lady" but eventually takes the compliment and thanks Pod for the kind words.  It's nice when the show remembers there's more to Brienne than gruff exterior. (6.50)

Arya + Brienne aw yes.  Arya comes to Pod's rescue as Brienne once again is schooling him (actually giving him pointers this time!) and insists they spar.  On paper this is very cool and I like Arya pulling rank to convince Brienne to do it.  The sparring, however, smacks of that Every Other Show, Ever problem I complained about earlier.  Arya shows off her braavos sword dancer shit with much gratuitous twirling of the blade and posing with it held behind her back and other "badass" shit that takes me out of the scene.  But most of all what I dislike is Arya sparring with LIVE STEEL (needle) and then VALYRIAN STEEL.  Sansa smiles seeing Arya handle business, LF gulps and has a little staredown with Arya.  Good idea for a scene but the choreography is irksome and the live steel in a spar really irks me and Arya finishing Brienne's sentence as she enters scene is Shit I Can See In Literally Any Other Show, Ever.  Full point deduction and be glad it isn't more. (5.5)

Cersei hobnobbs with Tycho Nestoris and Mark Gatiss seems to be having so much FUN as the Iron Banker I'm going to give this a quarter point just for his performance even though it really doesn't tell us anything new.  And for the Golden Company shoutout. (5.75)

Dany and Missandei are talking Grey Worm when THANK THE OLD GODS AND THE NEW Jon Snow interrupts and decides to take Dany on a tour of the dragonglass mines which are apparently located in Lascaux, France because Jon is taking Dany on a cave painting tour.  The King In The North is also King Of The Docents, bet you didn't know that?  Anyway Jon is completely fluent in 8000 year old heiroglyphs which is a stretch made even stretchier by the cave paintings being SUPER COMPLETELY OBVIOUS as if they were drawn for an audience 8000 years in the future.  Internet folks are already making the joke that Jon drew that shit himself. Oh and to make this worse the producers apparently talked this up as Jon and Dany starting to warm up to each other (translation:  boning) but there's nothing in either performance to suggest it.  I barely feel "friends" from them.  More "yeah, we're cool" than anything else.  Anyway the main thing is Dany agrees to fight with Jon AFTER HE BENDS THE KNEE and asks him isn't their survival more important than his pride?  Which would be a good question except this isn't exactly about Jon's pride, not that they have Jon point this out or anything.  I should take a full point.  But I like the idea even if the execution and details are lacking.  Minus 3/4ths. (5)

Davos tips an invisible fedora at Missandei who pretends to fail her Lore (Westeros Naming Conventions) check so she can smug about how there are no bastards in Naarth or whatever.  Then she explains how it's totally cool for a black woman to still be serving the white chick who bought her because she's free but she chooses to stockholm it up.  Boy I can't wait until theses guys tackle alt-history with CONFEDERATE, can you?  Ughghdsfkldfjslkfhsfklsdf.  Anyway Jon asks her if she's really free to leave if she wants and, thinking of his own situation, doubts it.  Missandei explains everyone from Essos chooses to follow her which is definitely supposed to be some Jon and Dany aren't so different after all something or other but, eh.  Minus half a point for forgetting Davos is a married man and reminding us of your dumb next show in the pipeline that's going to suck AND be offensive. (4.5)

No Jorah, No Sam, and No Archmaester Slughorn, who I was just starting to warm to.  Minus a quarter point. (4.25)

Dany soft-accuses Tyrion of treason (sympathy to his family) and is tired of her shit not working.  She turns to the most experienced military commander on hand, who pointedly is not in her circle of councilors, Jon Snow.  Jon diplomatically kisses her ass about her doing the impossible and people believing in her and wanting to see her new world too but points out having the dragons burninate everything would just make her more of the same.  Don't mind us, just setting up the next plot point artlessly with mediocre writing.  No actual tactical advice on non-dragon solutions to Dany's situation.  There really isn't much I like about this episode so far is there?  WASH, but only because Dany should be pissed at Tyrion cuz his ideas have sucked and she did actually mention the logistical concern of having no food for her Dothraki even though it doesn't, like, you know, actually become a factor or anything.

Theon shows up just long enough for Jon to apply the chokehold and inform him that doing Sansa a solid is the only reason his ass is not currently transitioning to grass.  "Hi Jon, I didn't know you were here."  Hah!  Anyway, Theon updates Team Dany on the situation, which includes him once again saying "I should be [dead]", that Euron has Yara, and that he wants Dany's help in getting her back.  Dany is no longer here.  You can almost literally see the hinges on the transition.  Ugh.  Still, plus a quarter point because Alfie Allen GETS Theon so fucking well and nails it even when his scenes are way too short like this one, and for NOT hamfistedly working in "What Is Dead May Never Die" though they certainly made sure to reminds us all Theon Is Pathetic LOL.  At least there wasn't a no-dick joke. (4.5)

Randyl Tarly informs Jaime that the gold is safely delivered to King's Landing and the food delivery is up next.  He really really really wants to flog people to get it moving.  Ah, that's Randyl the asshole we know and love.  Jaime asks him to maybe hold off on that a little bit.  Rickon/Dickon joke repeated, oh god that's so funny.  You know what'd be even funnier, though, show?  NOT KILLING RICKON OFF WHEN YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO.  Anyway, Dickon gets some real lines this week, revealing this was actually his first live combat, since it was versus Tyrell footmen he killed some dudes he'd hunted with a while back, and he wasn't prepared for the smell.  I think Randyl Tarly's ideal son would a little more hardcore and prepared for this even as a rookie but I'll forgive this because I think they might be setting up a thing  where Dickon gets SHOOK, so it's like Sam is actually the brave one and Dickon, Randyl's idea warrior son, is the coward.  On the promise of that, and with the nugget of something book Randyl would do/say breaking through, I'll go WASH on the pre battle, offsetting the no longer funny Rickon/Dickon joke and nobody giving a shit that Heartsbane got swiped.

Battle was definitely some saving the best for last.  They really set up a lot of "ironic" hooks for this to be death of a named character, between Dickon's inexperience and massive uptick in ammount of lines, Bronn's big payday being deferred one more time, and Jaime rejecting the rather logical advice to retreat/report in to his sister, but these all prove red herrings in the end.  Dany prepares the battlefield with some suppressing dragon fire from Drogon's back to burn a hole in the line and the Dothraki charge is on.  From here on out Dany seems to take Jon's words sorta to heart as she concentrates on roasting the supply wagons and while we see dudes running around on fire we don't see her directly targeting people for burnination after this.   Bronn gets separated from his sack o' coin Jaime gave him at the start of the episode.  Dickon ganks a dude from behind to bail Jaime out at one point.  Camera lingers just long enough for you to anticipate Dickon getting ganked instead, but it doesn't happen.  Bronn is a badass.  Bronn gets to the "scorpions" and after having to burn (lol) one on blasting the Dothraki who'd been chasing him since unhorsing him as soon as the ill fated Dothraki pulls open the flaps on a wagon just in time to stare down a loaded ballista (remember what I said about Every Other TV Show, Ever stuff?).  Dany and Bronn square off briefly and Bronn wounds Drogon with a ballista bolt that will eventually force Drogon to the ground, but not before Bronn dives away from the ballista to avoid being roasted along with it.  Jaime makes the most suicidally brave charge as he takes up lance and rides either at Drogon or Dany trying to yank the spear sized bolt out of his neck.  Tyrion is watching from a safe distance to mutter "flee, you idiot".  And this charge is dumb as hell but with all he's done I can actually buy a Suicide By Cop death or glory charge from Jaime.  Bronn rides up just in time to jump and push Jaime (and himself) out of the way of dragonfire but they land in a lake/river/conveniently placed body of water and our last visual is Jaime (in full plate with only one hand, mind you) slowly sinking.  Good cliffhanger, except I'm not buying Jaime drowning to death when they couldn't bring themselves to even kill off Dickon Tarly during the battle. I'll give the battle a point for being fun as hell even though it was Standard Action Film/Show fare and I'm kinda irked the Dothraki charged like heavy cav instead of something more in line with their horse archery/off-bran Mongol horde roots, like skirmishing and fake retreat, but that's a minor nitpick. (5.5)

And to get us to a round number, + a half point for not including Yara this week because she can't get killed off if she's not on screen, and she's the "could plausibly live or die" character left that I am interested in most.  Reward the good and punish the bad.  [Pour one out for Stannis.]

6 Out Of 10 primarily for being fun and doing Every Other Story, Ever stuff but doing it decently, and for aiming in the right direction albeit failing to hit the mark decisively.

Edited by Frances Bean Corbray

5 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

You must be new here. Having been here since before the first season, I've seen plenty of it. 

I'm not new at all, quite the opposite, but what show lovers usually perceive as "book purism" is most usually not that at all, but they prefer to see it that way in order to ignore the legitimate critique of their favorite show.

3 minutes ago, StepStark said:

I'm not new at all, quite the opposite, but what show lovers usually perceive as "book purism" is most usually not that at all, but they prefer to see it that way in order to ignore the legitimate critique of their favorite show.

There are many legitimate critiques of the show. I hated last week's episode for many legitimate reasons that evaluate the show as a TV show and not as an adaptation of a book series that is not finished. But I also love the books and loved them well before there was a TV show to talk about compare them with. I just can call a spade a spade and see when people are being unfair to the TV show (in either direction) because of their biases. 

14 hours ago, nara said:

Great episode.  Gave it a 9.

Better Stark reunion than the last one.  I do admit for a second I wondered if Sansa was going to mention Bran at all to Arya.  Still no mention of Rickon, which is absurd.

They are dragging out the LF comeuppance.  IMO, no need to wait for final episode of season to do that.

Groundwork for Dany/Jon romance was subtle---not!  Anvil, baby!

Fantastic battle scene!  I hope my neighbors didn't hear me scream, yell "form square", and chant "Dickon" or they might wonder about me.  Glad to see Bronn and Jaime do their stuff, and it was very brave of Jaime to stay and fight.  Also, Tyrion's mixed emotions were good to see. Glad to see Qyburn's device work, but not quite enough.  Final shot of Jaime was really well done.  They should submit this episode to Emmys on behalf of the director, IMO

I agree about Rickon. Maybe it is just too painful a subject and everyone who doesn't know just assumes he is dead?

i think the writers, and the Starks, are giving LF enough rope to hang himself. Bran's use of his own words back at him, "Chaos is a ladder,” spoke volumes.

4 hours ago, StepStark said:

While many people obviously go into the episode with a pre-conceived notion that it is going to be awesome, and their whole intent is to try to find things to cheer for and like.

Why aren't you the clever one? The thing is, it makes sense for the people that go into it thinking it will be great to watch the show, but for those that think it will suck, why bother watching then?

7... The fight scene between Briene and Arya for me was only time filling and Arya's cocky attitude just bugs me so badly. Also the cave scene, I mean, how convenient it was to put some paintings inside to convince the only person who can help Jon. And those White Walkers drawings, c'mon, they should have done it more rustic, they contrasted with all the other paintings which looked mor similar to rupestrian paintings... The chemistry between Jon and Dany was good though.

The battle definetly saved the episode, it was sooo good, Drogon looked so real, it was just like I imagine a medieval war with dragons in it. Amazing

MIND.BLOWN. 

I'm not saying this episode was perfect - far from it. But it was insanely impressive and entertaining and had me clapping and  squalling and laughing out loud, so the least it deserves is 9/10. Which is what I rated it. 

I liked the Winterfell stuff this episode, we got a little more insight on what's the deal with Bran (which I still don't get, but he was less insufferable than before which is a plus). There were quite a few problems with these scenes but I generally enjoyed it so whatever. 

I am so happy with the fact that they are resolving the debt the plot and paying back to the Iron Bank. And I'm so happy that the attack on High Garden got some context. The scene with Mycroft was a little too long, but it's okay. 

Dragonstone... mixed feelings. I like the JonxDavos bits, I liked the DaeneysxMissandei bit, I liked when Daenerys lost her shit after hearing about the Reach and that she called Tyrion out for coming up with the worst plan ever. What I didn't like was JonxTheon, very unsatisfying and underwhelming and badly acted. And let's not even talk about the horrid cave scene. Terrible on every level. 

I loved that Bronn is back, and Jaime was pretty good in the reach scenes. I also liked Dickon, we'll see if they do something with him or his character development was for nothing. 

The Field of Fire was mind blowing. Even with the fact that half of it was stolen from the Hobbit. The Dothraki charge was insane, Daenerys flying in was insane, the destruction was insane, the Bronn bits were insane, the cliffhanger was insane.

The one general issue I had (aside from zero concept of time and space and lack of logic, which I have had to come to terms with over the past couple seasons) episode wasn't very balanced. It was a little all over the place and with the big boom at the end. 

As far as the plot goes:

And I can't believe they are going for the Jon/Daenerys ship. Why. Why. Jon and Missandei. Jon and Yara. Jon and Lyanna Mormont. Jon and Sansa. Jon and ANYBODY. Daenerys and a random Unsullied now that she knows they can do things, many things. Daenerys and Jorah. Daenerys and Tyrion. Daenerys and Gendry. Daenerys and ANYBODY. ANY random pairing is better than Daenerys and Jon. :bawl: 

Sansa is a bitch. (And before anybody complains that I shouldn't use that word for a woman, real or fictional, let me add) Tyrion is a bitch too.

Meera is leaving, I hope she doesn't return. Does Bran know that's a Littlefinger betrayed Ned and he's just playing with him, or he didn't get to that part yet, because he was busy watching Ramsay porn? Why can't he see who sent the catspaw? Why doesn't he know important things when he supposedly knows everything? 

It's pretty obvious that drogon will be fine and I can't decide if I want Jaime to survive or not. It would be a classic game of thrones shocker like Ned or the red wedding or something along the lines. And it would be quite interesting where Cersei's War would go without him. It would also be quite interesting how Tyrion's allegiance would be influenced by such event. But i guess we'll have to see what happens. 

and then there's the cave scene which I'll leave for the R&R thread.

18 hours ago, Krishtotter said:

For me this was pure perfection.

I've been very critical of the season thus far (and for good reason), with the exception of last week's outing.

But THAT ending. Golly. And Arya-Brienne duel. It was brilliant. Arya-Sansa reunion, Jon-Dany (blossoming) romance actually, I'm feelin' it and seriously didn't think I would. Bronn and Jaime camaraderie. Tyrion's mixed feelings at observing his family's soldiers being mercilessly burned and hacked to death, the horrors of war. That was a poignant touch.

There were so many great moments, despite a slow start. The dialogue was effective this time around, the character interactions believable.

I have to give it 10/10. Sumptuously directed visuals as well. Atmospheric music.

They have outdone themselves with this one and it would be pure bias to deny it. I didn't think I'd ever say that again about a GoT episode but there you go.

Agree the last 3 seasons I've had to forget the books on too many episodes but this one was a 10 easy..  

5/10.

I admit, this episode finally showed the millions that go into making this show. It did look good. And it had some scenes that, in themselves, were fun to watch. Arya's fight with Brienne was cool, and I almost forgot it didn't make any sense at all (because why would Arya be able to fight like that - surely not from the silly training with the waif?). The reunions were underwhelming emotionally, but it was nice to see Theon and Jon together, and Arya and Sansa too, I guess.

If only, if only, there was some decent writing somewhere in those scenes. I still can't shake how little sense most of what happens makes. We now have silly cave wall paintings to help advance the plot, because this show's writers are unable to write dialogue that motivates plot. Speaking if dialogue - that scene with Jon, Davos and Missandei must be one of the worst written dialogue scenes in the show so far (and by far Davos' worst scene in the show).

I didn't hate this episode, it was even entertaining at times. But I was emotionally very detached from everything that happened. Just like the actors seemed to be. It was much better than last week, but something hasn't changed: Filming a b-movie plot with an a-movie budget still results in a b-movie (does the word b-series already exist?).