[Poll] How would you rate episode 704?

Ran

How would you rate episode 704?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

A solid 7, as I was entertained apart from the silly ending. It relies too heavily on contrivances for me to really get into the story as in the earlier seasons, but at this point that's a ship that's sailed. I'll enjoy it for what it is, and there's good fun to be had.

A solid 9.

It's been a while since I was so invested in an episode; usually I just zone out. This one kept my attention throughout. The dragon/dragonfire CGI looked great, Bronn was given ample screen-time (albeit with some plot armor added), and the episode actually made me care about Jaime. The latter's been pretty meh lately, but this episode brought him around. Also really liked Tyrion watching but unable to help his brother; added more emotion to the final attack.

The only things keeping it from a 10 are the awful Missandei/Dany and Dany/Jon scenes, the pond turning into a lake, one too many last-minute saves, and the cliffhanger at the end. I dunno who they're trying to fool with the whole "Jaime might die" thing.

The real MVP (aside from Bronn) this episode is Jaime's horse. Makes me really curious whether or not a horse could be persuaded to charge a fire-breathing dragon. #Jaimethrowthespear.

6 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

CoTF did create the WWs.  How or why did they lose control of them?  The show has spent time showing us how the children made the 1st WW.  Then, to me, there is a big hole, then we are told the CoTF and the First Men are fighing the WWs.  Did the children make a mistake and has the show told us what that is/was?

Simplest explanation is that Jon misread the painting because he has a bias against White Walkers.

There are 4 elements in this equation - Patterns, Children, Men & Walkers

The patterns are related to Children and Walkers but not men, suggesting the Walkers and Children are closer to each other than either group is to Men.

The book and show are deliberately vague around the history of Westeros and the White Walkers, suggesting that something is being hidden, still.

Even if we take it on face that the Children made the Walkers to defend against Men and that the Walkers got out of control and the Children had to team up with Men to defeat them - the patterns are an issue. The patterns mean that either the Children changed something about themselves which the Walkers still adhere to or that the Children have never really been on the side of Men.

It is seeming more and more logical to me that the Walkers are the Pact and the Old Gods rolled into one. They were created as some kind of environmental protection agency that Men has to adhere to to coexist with the Children. As Men became more numerous in Westeros, they stopped adhering. I don't think that Men and the Children ever really worked together to defeat the Walkers, more I think that Men probably drove Children and thus the power of the Walkers underground (into the North).

Awesome episode! 10/10. I really can't complain about anything. Bran is going to ensure that Littlefinger meets his demise, with Arya's help. Or he'll just warg in to Littlefinger and break his mind until the only thing he can say is 'chaosisaladder' over and over again and everybody starts calling him 'Chaos Salad'.

I'm surprised Daenerys didn't bring all three dragons to the battle. Now that she knows about the ballistas, she'll probably have to. Meanwhile, Davos and Jon are entertaining Viserion and Rhaegal, playing fetch and trying not to get burnt.

I know a lot of people were wondering whether Jaime survives, but there's a really good chance that he managed to chuck his spear at Daenerys or Drogon before getting tackled, so we might need to be wondering whether they survived as well. For that matter, did Randyll Tarly survive? Or Dickon?

I gained a lot of respect for Bronn when he ignored his bag of gold and went for the ballista. I guess his sellsword days are far behind him.

I'd say an 8.5.

Tale of two halves really. Obviously the Field of Fire battle was awesome in so many ways, I don't need to really explain why it was so much fun to watch. Who wouldn't enjoy the Dothraki in full scale combat, with a dragon burning stuff up. Of course there are a number of travel issues that are heavily glossed over, but thats where we are with the show now. 

The first half wasn't great though.

- The Sansa / Arya reunion was rather flat. It should have been a massive moment, even if Arya is not herself any more. But they somehow made it quite pedestrian and disappointing. I felt very little emotion watching it. I guess they were torn as to how to depict Aryas reaction. 

- The caves should have been a mysterious / cool moment, but was rather spoilt by the Children of the Forest advancing their drawing skills rather suddenly and learning to draw in a modern realist style, where they were doing patterns before.

- Was nice seeing Arya fighting Brienne, but again when did she learn these skills? 

Fine, I won't grumble. I enjoyed it

24 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

- The caves should have been a mysterious / cool moment, but was rather spoilt by the Children of the Forest advancing their drawing skills rather suddenly and learning to draw in a modern realist style, where they were doing patterns before.

The drawings may not have all been done by the Children, or at the same time. The Walkers were on an entirely different wall, in a different style. It's not like Jon is an archaeologist, is it?

13 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Why aren't you the clever one? The thing is, it makes sense for the people that go into it thinking it will be great to watch the show, but for those that think it will suck, why bother watching then?

I don't think that watching a show you don't really like is in any way less reasonable than discussing internet posts of people whose opinion you disapprove. Sometimes you're just interested in something you don't appreciate.

9/10

I really loved this episode. The only thing I didn't like was LF & Sansa looking down on Brienne & Arya fighting & LF with his sneaky "this is what I want to happen" grin & Sansa looking hurt. Why would that bother her? 

My very favorite thing was watching that battle & not wanting either side to lose. I was genuinely nervous for characters on both sides of the battle. I don't want any of them to die. Excellent episode. 

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

9/10

I really loved this episode. The only thing I didn't like was LF & Sansa looking down on Brienne & Arya fighting & LF with his sneaky "this is what I want to happen" grin & Sansa looking hurt. Why would that bother her?

My very favorite thing was watching that battle & not wanting either side to lose. I was genuinely nervous for characters on both sides of the battle. I don't want any of them to die. Excellent episode. 

Not sure it bothered her, so much as she was sad/perturbed to realise how much her siblings had changed. "When did my little sister who hated needlework become such a nimble warrior capable of matching a knight in a swordfight?" sort of thing. 

I see little logic to LF hanging around in Winterfell this season if I am honest, but if it ends in his death as I hope then I can ignore his stupidity in sticking around. Does he actually have any plan at all? 

4 hours ago, Talking Hodor said:

Awesome episode! 10/10. I really can't complain about anything. Bran is going to ensure that Littlefinger meets his demise, with Arya's help. Or he'll just warg in to Littlefinger and break his mind until the only thing he can say is 'chaosisaladder' over and over again and everybody starts calling him 'Chaos Salad'.

I'm surprised Daenerys didn't bring all three dragons to the battle. Now that she knows about the ballistas, she'll probably have to. Meanwhile, Davos and Jon are entertaining Viserion and Rhaegal, playing fetch and trying not to get burnt.

I know a lot of people were wondering whether Jaime survives, but there's a really good chance that he managed to chuck his spear at Daenerys or Drogon before getting tackled, so we might need to be wondering whether they survived as well. For that matter, did Randyll Tarly survive? Or Dickon?

I gained a lot of respect for Bronn when he ignored his bag of gold and went for the ballista. I guess his sellsword days are far behind him.

Or Cale (kale) salad, which became so common a saying it ended up on menus everywhere.

Probably a 7.5/10. This was the first episode I've watched again since Hardhome(well, the battle at least). The final battle completely overshadowed some of the previously mentioned flaws of the first half of the episode.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not sure it bothered her, so much as she was sad/perturbed to realise how much her siblings had changed. "When did my little sister who hated needlework become such a nimble warrior capable of matching a knight in a swordfight?" sort of thing. 

I see little logic to LF hanging around in Winterfell this season if I am honest, but if it ends in his death as I hope then I can ignore his stupidity in sticking around. Does he actually have any plan at all? 

I can see that. My sister suggested maybe Sansa's look was because she was a little disturbed by the realization that Arya is capable of fulfilling her list. Prior to that maybe she just thought it was talk? 

Or maybe her look was all for the "but he didn't beat the Hound" Sansa thinks he's dead. Probably not but a girl can hope. 

LF makes little sense to me either. The only thing I have seen him do is try to pin Sansa against her siblings & I will cry if it works. I just don't see it happening. 

Great episode, have watched it three times already. The only thing about the battle scene that I didn't like was Dany burning the food, that made zero sense. Reason, if she lost this battle, the food means nothing because she would basically be done. If she wins this battle, she now destroyed most of the food in the region for no reason. How will she feed her army now? The Lannister army was stupidly lined up in a row next to the food column, all she had to do was do the same fire run, but over about ten feet.

Nice to see things moving at a fast pace but man it sucks that we are already past the halfway point. I have to admit I was a little scared of LSH when I saw the "previous episodes" montage. Then it was just the dagger. And on that scene, why didn't Bran tell them that LF and Lysa(spelling) are the ones who killed Jon Arryn to start the whole thing? And that LF betrayed Ned and got him killed? I guess wise ol Bran knows they need LF a little longer?

7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

- Was nice seeing Arya fighting Brienne, but again when did she learn these skills? 

Fine, I won't grumble. I enjoyed it

I assume (as the writers want me to) that she learned this with the FM while training. She already had some lessons with Serio(SP?) and then spent excessive time training with staffs and such with the FM. The way she stood was clearly water dancing, and the dodging and striking reminded me of staff training.

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I assume (as the writers want me to) that she learned this with the FM while training. She already had some lessons with Serio(SP?) and then spent excessive time training with staffs and such with the FM. The way she stood was clearly water dancing, and the dodging and striking reminded me of staff training.

Except training with a bo staff is different than training with a fencing epee/sabre. If you remember she actually hid Needle when she reached Braavos and didn't retrieve it until she left. So other than some basic initial training with Syrio, she had no formal sword training.

Not a chance in hell she could parry Brienne's attacks. The writers did it for pure fan service, plain and simple. And it was one of the dumber things I've seen this season.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I don't really have a problem with assuming she learnt all these things in her time with the FM, they just didn't really show us any of that, so it feels like it came out of nowhere. They have screwed up her story in many ways by making it feel rushed and cutting out much of what she would have learnt while there. In the books it feels like she is just starting her journey and learning the very basics, and it will be years before she could ever get to this level, but this feels like its possibly a matter of months at most.