[Poll] How would you rate episode 704?

Ran

How would you rate episode 704?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

As I've said since week 1, any episode where Littlefinger is still alive automatically gets no better than a 5. For some stupid reason, he remains alive after episode 4. Arya's fight could have brought the episode to a 1. Arya beat Brienne. Brienne beat The Hound. The Hound beat/will beat The Mountain. So Arya could beat the Mountain....Sure. That seems reasonable. :unsure:

However, the battle at the end brought the episode back up to a 4. It was on par with some movie productions. Good stuff.

8.  I was entertained. When Bran said ...chaos is a ladder ... and we saw LF's face - I cheered.  

???Why are the CoTF fighting with the First Men against their own creation, the WWs.  Did I miss something in a previous year????

Edited by lakin1013

Gave it a 9; maybe a little harsh, but Arya's homecoming didn't quite land for me, so that's the way that goes. Cracking episode however, in what could well become Thrones' greatest season to date (if these first 4 episodes are anything to go by).

What I liked:
 - More good stuff between Jon and Dany. I'm a little bothered at the low key hints at some sexual tension between the two, but I can put that aside for the present because they're producing excellent scenes at the moment, and neither are giving ground to each other, which is as it should be. Particularly pleased that Jon still hasn't sold out the North, contrary to many moaners predictions.

- The return of Bronn. This is the second time in the show's history where I was absolutely certain Bronn's story was about to come to an end, but I'm not complaining (because lets face it, who doesn't love Bronn?) Very interesting that they had him make the first genuinely heroic decision in the show's history, but I'm not really sure where his story goes from here.
 - Arya vs Brienne. Nice moment, and a good way to showcase her skills in a way we haven't seen to date.

- The final sequence. Outstanding TV. And great to be back to battles that really conflict the viewer: we want Dany to unleash the dragons on the Lannisters, but do we want Jamie to die? We want Jamie to survive, but at the cost of Dany or Drogon? The show did a good job of making us worry about characters on both sides here.

What I wasn't wild about:
 - Arya's return. Like I said, just didn't land for me, especially her reunion with Sansa, which should have been much more cathartic and emotional. At first I didn't like her entrance sequence with the guards either, but in "Inside the Episode" Beniof explained that the scene was evoking Odysseus's return home after his travels, so I'll allow it.

Final word: Both Jamie's fate and Dany's morality were both very much left up in the air at the end of this episode, and we were left thirsty for more. Complain about plot conveniences all you want (and I did think Jamie's last-minute rescue was a little convenient), but you have to credit the show's ability to leave you desperate for the next chapter. After a couple of years struggling to balance source material and original content, the show has decided decisively what it wants to be, and is now reaping the benefits.

9 on the modified post-season 4 scoring scale.  This is the maximum grade allowed in this system as 10's only go for episodes which would have been 9 or 10 in the early season scoring system.  This would have been an 8.

Put aside things like logistics and deus ex machine (we will discuss that in the rant and rave), and this was a brilliant episode.  Some dicey acting by our two leads, but I think the writers are aware of their limitations and generally put them in places where they will succeed.  Jon especially is written in a way the plays to Harrington's limited ability. 

The iron bank was meh and a waste of two talents in a meaningless forced story.  They should have just let this drop.

The battle was spectacular.  The best battle sequence they have done on the show.  Other than the lousy Never Ending Story green screen flying closeups, Drogon looked great.  They really showed the chaos and confusion of a battle and the terror that the Dothraki and a dragon would bring.  The Bronn sequence was subpar CGI, but he sold it.  I actually thought Jaime was going to buy it.

6. It was engaging at the end. Not sure why Bran is now so dull and an arse. We saw the previous 3ER and he wasn't so cold.

Also, Arya/Sansa was badly executed. They haven't seen each other in years! Returning was a matter of, "Sup?"

Dany and Jon was interesting, the bit on the beach.

I gave it a 7. Every episode where Sansa is still alive, automatically gets two points deducted.
The episode overall felt good, there was that great moment of Davos "fewer-ing" Jon, there was Bronn, and the battle looked impressive.
But, looking closer into it, too much did not make any sense.
Why did the Lannisters choose to get roasted instead of preparing the FLAK immediately when the attack started? They knew there would be aircraft coming, but it took Jamie quite a while to realize, "aw f-, ole Q gave me something against those winged lizards with the bad breath! Let's see, what's in that trailer!" Even if all their guards and scouts were asleep from too much Highgarden wine, and nobody noticed the approaching apache army until it was right over the next hill - once Jamie did hear them, he should have gotten ready the only effective defence weapon.

And about Winterfell, ok I accept that on TV, feminist magic makes females physically as strong as men, for propaganda tops facts, but how did Needle not brake by the impact with Brienne's broadsword? You may argue, Arya is quicker than her opponent, that she can dodge every attack &ct, that's all fine - but once she parries, she would either let go of Needle, or break her arm, or find herself with two half needles.

Edited by Ice C

4 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

It was only a matter of time til Daenerys had, had enough and bring her dragons into play.

Except she didn't. She brought not "dragons", but "a dragon".

3 hours ago, Ser Graymax said:

Were there 3 dragons there or only 1?  I thought only 1, where are the other 2?

- Preparing Barbecue sauce and a salad.

Seriously, would every dragon need a rider, or would those unmanned still follow their brother and their queen? The important thing would be for them to distinguish between "good guys" and "charcoal".

Edited by Ice C

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

8.  I was entertained. When Bran said ...chaos is a ladder ... and we saw LF's face - I cheered.  

???Why are the CoTF fighting with the First Men against their own creation, the WWs.  Did I miss something in a previous year????

Total agreement on both.  Revisionist history on CoTF.  The other unbelievable point is Jamie falling into perhaps the deepest river in any of the Worlds.  I still gave it a 7 (highest I've given for two seasons).  Things are picking up and main characters in peril.  Littlefinger must die!

3 minutes ago, Ice C said:

Except she didn't. She brought not "dragons", but "a dragon".

I used dragons because she has more than one, it wouldn't have made sense if i said brought her dragon into play. She has brought her dragons into play by using one of them. I know what I mean and I know what you mean.

3 minutes ago, Ice C said:

- Preparing Barbecue sauce and a salad.

Seriously, would every dragon need a rider, or would those unmanned still follow their brother and their queen? The important thing would be for them to distinguish between "good guys" and "charcoal".

Thats the problem, Daenerys tells the dragon when to fire, yes she can get them to follow and even attack as seen when she burns the slavers ship at the end of season 6. The dragons need their own riders to really utilize the flying fire breathing force that they could be. Pointless having 3 dragons attacking the same thing etc.

5 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

At face value she won't in the books either.  She will become Queen despite all she has done and the reason is simple.  There is no one around King's Landing with the power to stop her.  In the books Vary's will engineer it happening of course.

Yeah, but at least in the books Varys explicitly does it because he wants her to crash in burn. Tyrion describes her as rubbing salt in the wounds. 

16 hours ago, Ran said:

What'd you think?

Awesome.  Daenerys and Drogon were beautiful to watch.  I completely enjoyed all their scenes.  It's time for the Lannisters to experience what they did to the Reynes. I hope Bronn is dead.

38 minutes ago, Pwyll41 said:

Total agreement on both.  Revisionist history on CoTF.  The other unbelievable point is Jamie falling into perhaps the deepest river in any of the Worlds.  I still gave it a 7 (highest I've given for two seasons).  Things are picking up and main characters in peril.  Littlefinger must die!

I thought the COTF created the white walkers and then quickly lost control of them and had to join the Men to fight them.

Re: Jaime and the Deepest River, I decided to believe that we were looking at it from a drowning man's perspective.  It would seem deep, even if it wasn't really.  Same thing I did for the Theon/Sansa leap from Winterfell into barely any snow.  Sometimes you have to just patch the holes in what D&D have created in order to not drive yourself crazy.

15 minutes ago, nara said:

I thought the COTF created the white walkers and then quickly lost control of them and had to join the Men to fight them.

Re: Jaime and the Deepest River, I decided to believe that we were looking at it from a drowning man's perspective.  It would seem deep, even if it wasn't really.  Same thing I did for the Theon/Sansa leap from Winterfell into barely any snow.  Sometimes you have to just patch the holes in what D&D have created in order to not drive yourself crazy.

Except that would take all the spackle in the world to fill in that many holes.

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Arya's fight could have brought the episode to a 1. Arya beat Brienne. Brienne beat The Hound. The Hound beat/will beat The Mountain. So Arya could beat the Mountain....Sure. That seems reasonable. :unsure:

Fights don't work this way sometimes is almost like a Rock, Paper, Scizzors.

Like Oberynn may beat the mountain but Loose to Barristan Selmy

And Sir Barristan may loose to the Mountain.

(whether each character would win or loose is not relevant, just making a point)

I gave it a 7. I think last week's was better. Nevertheless, the battle was absolutely chilling, from the charge of the Dothrakis to the desolation of Drogon. It translate all the feelings and sensations perfectly. Emotionally, you can't get more invested than that. And there were moments when you really suffer for some characters future. 

Besides the teleportation aspect I dislike the fact that Brienne wasn't able to at least put Arya in trouble and, above all, the big piece of Deus ex machina the paintings in the cave were. The other parts were just fine.

1 hour ago, nara said:

CoTF did create the WWs.  How or why did they lose control of them?  The show has spent time showing us how the children made the 1st WW.  Then, to me, there is a big hole, then we are told the CoTF and the First Men are fighing the WWs.  Did the children make a mistake and has the show told us what that is/was?

15 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

Fights don't work this way sometimes is almost like a Rock, Paper, Scizzors.

Like Oberynn may beat the mountain but Loose to Barristan Selmy

And Sir Barristan may loose to the Mountain.

(whether each character would win or loose is not relevant, just making a point)

Yes, point taken. Similar to sports. The Patriots beat the Steelers one week but not the next. However, we are talking about a 12 year old girl beating trained/grown fighters. I don't care how much I train, I will never beat Floyd Mayweather. My ass will get beat 100 times out of 100.

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

6. It was engaging at the end. Not sure why Bran is now so dull and an arse. We saw the previous 3ER and he wasn't so cold.

Also, Arya/Sansa was badly executed. They haven't seen each other in years! Returning was a matter of, "Sup?"

Dany and Jon was interesting, the bit on the beach.

The existing 3 eyed raven was never facing a zombie apocalypse and only given a few months time to prepare, rather he had a life time to slowly digest all the events that Brann has about one-two months. Not so sure why it is so hard for everyone to understand this. 

Edited by Error-504