[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Well since my good bad ugly got people's pants in a wad.  I'll just do bad and ugly--

Why is Tyrion even at the battle?  Not a fan of Dany (more on that in a minute, but why is the hand AND the queen at the fight).  Brilliant.

Hmm Drogon down!!! lets just land next to the center of the fight, not glide away from the battle.

Speaking of which--pulling out the arrow.  DER!  

Pulling out the arrow ON THE BATTLEFIELD. DOUBLE DER

Ok so all the ships are gone, but there are enough to ferry all the Dothraki to the mainland.  Seems legit.

Littlefinger with a Chekov's gun to Bran.  Still not liking the 'distant Bran'  More like 'Non acting Bran'.  My Post My opinion.  What was littlefinger trying to accomplish besides plot movement?  Doesn't know who it is, yeah like Bran won't catch that by next episode.  I think over the last few episodes LF has lost about 100IQ points.

HEY EVERYBODY!!! QUEEN DANY JUST BURNED A HOLE IN THE LINE!! LETS NOT ATTACK THERE!!!

A Lannister pays his debts, except to Bronn.

Apparently that wagon has a +10 bag of magic holding cause no way in hell it holds 10 million crowns/dragons/guineas/whatever.

GAH!!! I'm just angry today.  Episode was dumb, series is dumb, life is dumb. GRRM is dumb for not writing more and going on tour.

Drogon falls outta the sky but recovers at last second.  Wow where have I seen this before?  Uh every AERIAL BATTLE EVER.  

Jon got his glass.  Dany and Jon made goo goo eyes.  Big Fight. Fin.

Meh.

(the good!! DIE IN A FIRE LANNISTER BOYS!!! heh I love die in a fire)

1 minute ago, falcotron said:

And Dany's answer to that issue was also stupid. They'll follow her if he does? Why? Even if it were true, how could she possibly know that? But of course it isn't. A big part of the reason that they're following him is that they think he can deliver an independent North—hence the whole electing him King thing.

One of the biggest problems I have with Dany's character is that the only thing she usually does to justify her rule is say things like "I was born to rule the Seven Kingdoms" and she thinks that should be enough to make people follow her. We see in this episode they do explain a little bit about why people follow Dany, but it doesn't come from Dany herself. It comes from Missandei, and I don't know if the writers think that this makes it a stronger case to come from someone else's mouth and POV, but that doesn't mean that Dany should never even try to justify why she would be a better queen than Cersei. Hell, she has to have Jon tell her not to raze King's Landing to the ground. Why should Jon just bend the knee if he thinks she is the type of queen who can't see that for herself? 

4 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

One of the biggest problems I have with Dany's character is that the only thing she usually does to justify her rule is say things like "I was born to rule the Seven Kingdoms" and she thinks that should be enough to make people follow her. We see in this episode they do explain a little bit about why people follow Dany, but it doesn't come from Dany herself. It comes from Missandei, and I don't know if the writers think that this makes it a stronger case to come from someone else's mouth and POV, but that doesn't mean that Dany should never even try to justify why she would be a better queen than Cersei. Hell, she has to have Jon tell her not to raze King's Landing to the ground. Why should Jon just bend the knee if he thinks she is the type of queen who can't see that for herself? 

I really hope they at least try to explain why Jon starts liking Dany (he clearly has reservations about her currently) besides "she's hot" because it's already been established Jon can suppress his more carnal urges when he has conflicting emotions (he was attracted to Ros but didn't have sex with her because he didn't want to father a bastard. He was attracted to Mel but didn't give into her because he was mourning Ygritte and Mel was callous about it). So that would seem to be out of character for Jon to start acting like Robb, or heaven forbid Theon. 

2 minutes ago, Snormund said:

I really hope they at least try to explain why Jon starts liking Dany besides "she's hot" because it's already been established Jon can suppress his more carnal urges when he has conflicting emotions (he was attracted to Ros but didn't have sex with her because he didn't want to father a bastard. He was attracted to Mel but didn't give into her because he was mourning Ygritte and Mel was callous about it). So that would seem to be out of character for Jon to start acting like Robb, or heaven forbid Theon. 

Yes! It looks like Missandei is putting in a good word for Dany,  but sorry  Dan and Dave, I need more than that. 

These bran scenes have been absolute torture...I expected a lot more revelations once he returned to civilization.

Didn't mind the Arya/Brienne scene or think it was as cringe worthy as most commenting...I think they wanted to show Arya's metamorphosis to Sansa since she wasn't flat out telling her who she's become. Also, by showing some shots from Briennes perspective they were trying to give us an idea how uncomfortable it was for Brienne to spar with someone much smaller and quicker then her while making it more believable. But does it really need to be in a story with dragons, ice monsters and teleporting armies?

loved he Jon and Dany cave scene, the only thing that was missing was some targ on targ action!

On 8/6/2017 at 10:51 PM, falcotron said:

So of course the argument that follows is stupid. It focuses on Jon's pride—Dany even puts it that way explicitly, and Jon tacitly accepts that's the issue. But it isn't. Jon doesn't care about being King. As he said earlier, the problem is that he doesn't trust that the North have signed up to fight for a foreign Queen, and he can't afford to lose their support. Which has nothing to do with his pride.

And Dany's answer to that issue was also stupid. They'll follow her if he does? Why? Even if it were true, how could she possibly know that? But of course it isn't. A big part of the reason that they're following him is that they think he can deliver an independent North—hence the whole electing him King thing.

I know this isn’t Jon’s personality book or show. But, I wish he was bit of a wise ass.

So he would have said something like:

Oh, by all means let’s talk about “my pride”. Cause I would be the only person in this cave that might have a problem with that. Not you of course.:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

Yes! It looks like Missandei is putting in a good word for Dany,  but sorry  Dan and Dave, I need more than that. 

I'm still mad I never got my CVH/KH sex scene lol (which admittedly wouldnt have made a ton of sense unless Mel and/or Jon got retconned) EC is hot but she's so irritating. 

Though actually:  why the fuck didn't Mel suggest a shadow baby to kill ramsay to Jon? I'm sure Jon would have done that to save Rickon.  

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Some issues with your comments:

• I don't know if you've read any book material, but during Aegon's attempt to conquer Dorne, Meraxes was killed with a scorption; also, not sure what heavy artillery you refer to, there has been no mention of heavy artillery vs. dragons; and Cersei fired the sorpion bolt through Balerion skull
  • Dothraki charging at a shield wall is not surprising; they are not particularly known for clever tactics; they hold foot soldiers in contempt; at the battle of Qohor they charged at the Unsullied twelve times before they learned.
  • I think the hill Tyrion was on was too far away from the Lannister lines to put archers there; and Dany didn’t have any foot archers anyway; also, I don’t know that the Dothraki with Tyrion were commanders, or just bodyguards.
  • The two discussions about Meraxes are exactly how we know that the only way to hurt a dragon is with a bolt in the eye: their scales are impervious to anything short of another dragon's claws, but they're vulnerable there. Tyrion explicitly says that all the books he's read agree that they cannot be shot in the throat, underbelly, or joints as the old wives' tales say, the eyes are the only target.
  • If you don't want to use the books, D&D used exactly the same "scales are impervious" wording in S5 interviews about why Drogon was stabbable then but won't be once he's grown.
  • The point of heavy artillery is that people in this world have had it for centuries, and fought wars against massive swarms of dragons; if it had worked against dragons, they would have used it, and no one did.
  • Dothraki charging a shield wall is surprising when they have a break they could just charge through. What kind of idiot spurs his horse at a set spear, rather than at an open gap full of people to chop up? With the Unsullied, they didn't have that choice. And besides, the reason people remember that they learned that lesson after 12 tries is that they learned that lesson and don't do that anymore. They'll actually avoid fighting—the only time they ever do so—when they see an Unsullied shield wall. But the Lannisters do the same thing, and they just close their eyes and charge their horses at the pointy end and hope for the best? Of course it worked for them, but there's no plausible reason it should have; a writer giving characters stupid tactics because he doesn't understand tactics is not justified by those stupid tactics working because he doesn't understand tactics.
  • What kind of bodyguards do the Dothraki have besides the khal(eesi)'s bloodriders, who are also his/her commanders?

My main issue is that it was short, should have put 10 minutes or so of Old Town in and reveal somethings actually New and useful.  Or better yet what the people in King's Landing are actually feeling about Cersi and Danny.  I'm a bit at a loss why Danny went away form her standard playbook of show up at City where people are abused by those in power and inspire those people to overthrow their "masters".  While her forces sneak in and open gates for the larger forces during the chaos.  Given what Cersi did to the Faith and Noble Houses, she wouldn't have strong backing of either the Nobles or the people if Danny does her normal I'm for you speech.

My nitpicks:

1.  Arya/Brianne - didn't emphasis her Faceless man training enough imo.  Too much of what she learned from the water dancer.  

2.  LF - He doesn't seem to be doing anything.  Perhaps he'll try and set up Bran soon if it feels he's a threat to his secrets.  But, his endgame w/Sansa seems way out of reach at this point.  She clearly doesn't need him anymore and if he tries to betray her, she could easily have him killed.  I'd almost think he'd just leave to get away from the army of the dead and build something across the narrow sea.

3.  Cave drawings were a little disappointing.  I haven't read the books, so I don't know what the Children and people of that time did for their runes.  But, those seemed too rudimentary to me (in particular the figures, though the ones of the WW et al at least had blue eyes and more detail).

OT - I like what they've been doing w/Bran and Sansa's relationship with her siblings.  Too much time and too many events have happened to expect them to just pretend nothing's happened.  Similar to people w/PTSD regarding her and Arya's interactions.  I think she's both concerned w/who Arya has become and (hopefully) doing some self reflection and questioning who she is.  John's the natural leader, Bran is some seer, and Arya is some skilled killer.  But, she hasn't really shown an identity of her own yet.

18 minutes ago, Snormund said:

I really hope they at least try to explain why Jon starts liking Dany (he clearly has reservations about her currently) besides "she's hot" because it's already been established Jon can suppress his more carnal urges when he has conflicting emotions (he was attracted to Ros but didn't have sex with her because he didn't want to father a bastard. He was attracted to Mel but didn't give into her because he was mourning Ygritte and Mel was callous about it). So that would seem to be out of character for Jon to start acting like Robb, or heaven forbid Theon. 

Yeah, me too. Because I haven't seen any reason why either of them should like the other beyond superficiality. They are clearly starting to set it up with tonight's reference to Jon being sexually attracted to her, but the only person we have seen Jon fall for is Ygritte who had quite a bit more personality than Dany. I hope the writers don't just expect us to buy their relationship because we all know its going happen anyway. 

12 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I know this isn’t Jon’s personality book or show. But, I wish he was bit of a wise ass.

So he would have said something like:

Oh, by all means let’s talk about “my pride”. Cause I would be the only person in this cave that might have a problem with that. Not you of course.:rolleyes:

Regarding all the "pride" comments, what she said was pretty much word for word what Jon said to the King of the Free People trying to get him to bend the knee to Stanis.  At this point Jon is on the other side of the conversation.  He should have asked her to make the case directly to the North herself.  It's not for him to bend the knee, it's for them to choose her.

52 minutes ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

I NEED MY RANTING TO BE LISTENED

Lannister plot convenience that the GOLD MADE IT INTO KL AHEAD OF THE ARMY

So they wanted a huge fight, but at the same time they CAN'T FOR ONCE ALLOW TEAM CERSEI A SINGLE DEFEAT

So the gold made it into KL... OFFSCREEN?

And Daenerys burned FOOD? That should be hers????

This is fucking ridiculous. This show is so madly in love with Cersei that they're pushing all the edges as to how she will beat Daenerys

When did they say gold reached KL before the army?

Damnn I guess I was not listening properly.

Yes.. I agree with you.

They cant even kill Bronn.. fuckin Bronn.

Dani had to have even a fucking Dragon hurt but NO nothing must happen to the important characters on the Lannister side

4 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

Yeah, me too. Because I haven't seen any reason why either of them should like the other beyond superficiality. They are clearly starting to set it up with tonight's reference to Jon being sexually attracted to her, but the only person we have seen Jon fall for is Ygritte who had quite a bit more personality than Dany. I hope the writers don't just expect us to buy their relationship because we all know its going happen anyway. 

But like I said, some part of Jon definitely enjoyed seeing Mel naked too but it wasn't enough for him to overlook her being a creepy batshit crazy witch and trivializing/being callous about his beloved Ygritte. If he just thought with his dick he would have fucked Mel, Ros and god knows who else by now. But he's like Ned in that he makes the right choice, even when it's super hard. 

Falling for Dany is idiotic considering his position with his Northern subjects. 

48 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Also, it bothers me that the scorpion worked. Not as much as I expected it to bother me, but still, if heavy artillery can't pierce the scales of a full-grown dragon, how exactly can 1000-year-out-of-date light artillery do it? Qyburn didn't give us any implication that this was magical or anything, it's just a scorpion. You'd think someone would have noticed during, say, Aegon's Conquest, or the massive Rhoynar-Dothraki wars, that you could take dragons down this way.

to be fair, a ballista is how meraxes was killed in the dance of dragons, so it's not without precedent. it bothered me that dany knew about the scorpion and still decided to charge at it headlong instead of diving at it from above, where it obviously can't shoot. speaking of which, is drogon capable of sweeping fire? b/c bronn and jaime both dodged that shit way too many times

tyrion, this is what you're supposed to be there for

On 8/6/2017 at 11:22 PM, no_one_... said:

Regarding all the "pride" comments, what she said was pretty much word for word what Jon said to the King of the Free People trying to get him to bend the knee to Stanis.  At this point Jon is on the other side of the conversation.  He should have asked her to make the case directly to the North herself.  It's not for him to bend the knee, it's for them to choose her.

I forgot about that scene. But, the difference there was Jon arguably didn't have a pride problem, at that moment, and he certainly wasn't asking the wildlings to bend the knee to him personally.

And secondly, he might have pointed out, that this isn't just about fighting for the North, but every living being in Westeros. Would she rather stop them in the North or have to fight them in the Riverlands, the Reach, or around KL?

Archived