Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lady Fevre Dream

[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, falcotron said:

I'm pretty sure Jon was saying none of the Westerosi will follow her if she burns the castles and towns; not that her Dothraki and Unsullied won't. it's not like she can burn Westeros down and repopulate it from scratch with the 100000 men (including eunuchs) and 2 women that she brought.

But yeah, Jon really didn't put that very well. (Then again, when's the last time Jon put anything well?)

I am pretty sure he was talking about her current followers.

But even if you are right, it's still a dumb thing to say while Cersei is enjoying her reign in the capital after everything she did, not to mention all the other Westerosi leaders over the years who slaughtered people by the thousands, burned castles and cities and were wildly successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David Selig said:

I am pretty sure he was talking about her current followers.

But even if you are right, it's still a dumb thing to say while Cersei is enjoying her reign in the capital after everything she did, not to mention all the other Westerosi leaders over the years who slaughtered people by the thousands, burned castles and cities and were wildly successful.

I imagine she'll reach the same conclusion as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having Tyco sucking up to Cersei is just a joke.  Could this be further from the book material?  D&D's ridiculous adoration of Lena Lannister strikes again.

I'd like to be creeped out by Bran repeating "chaos is a ladder" to Creepfinger, but I still can't deal with Bran knowing all the things, even when there are no weirwoods or ravens to see all the things.  Too much suspension of disbelief for me.

Meera deserved better than that (in-show and from the show-writers).

Scene with Arya and the soldiers was pretty pointless and badly written.

Likewise, I wanted to love the Arya/Sansa and the Bran/Arya reunions, but the dialogue is so clunky. 

I did like seeing the three children together going through Winterfell.

Missandei and Dany's girl talk. *eye roll*

Dragonglass cave - I think Jon would be able to explain the history better than that (he had Old Nan as well, plus learning the tales from the Wildlings). I laughed that the pictograms were all naïve until the super-detailed men and Others. :lmao:

The whole time Daenerys is talking of Jon bending the knee to her, I wonder why neither Jon nor Daenerys ever has the same realisation that Stannis had: "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Dany never once thinks she should prove herself to the North and that really bothers me.

The scene with Tyrion explaining the loss of the Reach was only notable because Emilia Clarke's face moved and the very 20th century American "Enough with the clever plans" - just stick an "already" on it and be done with it.

I can't be doing with Brute and Mystique sparring - just ridiculous.  

I hope they don't miss the opportunity for Arya to recall LF meeting with Roose because I have no idea why LF is still breathing.

Missandei telling Jon and Davos that Dany is "the queen we chose" but she is quite happy that her queen's army and dragons are there to conquer others. No freedom of choice for anyone else then.

The landscape is straight out of an old western which struck me as so odd.  Bronn's bionic hearing picks up the approaching injuns. Dothraki.

How did Dany's army get there so quickly?  I mean: news has to get back to Dany and then she sets out with her army.  I could understand intercepting the army if it was just her on the dragon ...

So - the battle.  It was exciting and I loved the SFX but there was an awful lot of nonsense, battle-wise, as well.

Worst for me was the destruction of the food supplies she needed - you know, that she specifically said she needed not ten minutes previously. :bang:

I'm a little confused that the Lannister army brought the scorpion with them (so expecting a dragon attack) but had no-one to 'lock n load' as soon as the dragon was seen.  I realise they wanted Bronn to have the heroics but even so, that was silly.

I'd be impressed if they actually let Jaime die by drowning in his armour - that would be a twist.  Nobody but nobody thinks he's dead though so that's not much of a cliff hanger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

The whole time Daenerys is talking of Jon bending the knee to her, I wonder why neither Jon nor Daenerys ever has the same realisation that Stannis had: "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."

If only someone who was around Stannis, like his former Hand, were available to advise Jon or Dany, that might be useful than this Davos the Wingman character he brought instead…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dany on Drogon, flying in a line to punch 1 hole in a line. Tactics sacrificed to make a cool shot of her flying above charging Dothraki.

Cersei already contacted Golden Company, before she had paid the IB. Real smart. 

If Jaime doesn't die, I'm going to be pissed. Heavy armor, golden hand, didn't move and nobody went after him in the final shot.

Bronn was probably on the bottom though, to carry him back to shore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

34 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Having Tyco sucking up to Cersei is just a joke.  Could this be further from the book material?  D&D's ridiculous adoration of Lena Lannister strikes again.

I'd like to be creeped out by Bran repeating "chaos is a ladder" to Creepfinger, but I still can't deal with Bran knowing all the things, even when there are no weirwoods or ravens to see all the things.  Too much suspension of disbelief for me.

Meera deserved better than that (in-show and from the show-writers).

Scene with Arya and the soldiers was pretty pointless and badly written.

Likewise, I wanted to love the Arya/Sansa and the Bran/Arya reunions, but the dialogue is so clunky. 

I did like seeing the three children together going through Winterfell.

Missandei and Dany's girl talk. *eye roll*

Dragonglass cave - I think Jon would be able to explain the history better than that (he had Old Nan as well, plus learning the tales from the Wildlings). I laughed that the pictograms were all naïve until the super-detailed men and Others. :lmao:

The whole time Daenerys is talking of Jon bending the knee to her, I wonder why neither Jon nor Daenerys ever has the same realisation that Stannis had: "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Dany never once thinks she should prove herself to the North and that really bothers me.

The scene with Tyrion explaining the loss of the Reach was only notable because Emilia Clarke's face moved and the very 20th century American "Enough with the clever plans" - just stick an "already" on it and be done with it.

I can't be doing with Brute and Mystique sparring - just ridiculous.  

I hope they don't miss the opportunity for Arya to recall LF meeting with Roose because I have no idea why LF is still breathing.

Missandei telling Jon and Davos that Dany is "the queen we chose" but she is quite happy that her queen's army and dragons are there to conquer others. No freedom of choice for anyone else then.

The landscape is straight out of an old western which struck me as so odd.  Bronn's bionic hearing picks up the approaching injuns. Dothraki.

How did Dany's army get there so quickly?  I mean: news has to get back to Dany and then she sets out with her army.  I could understand intercepting the army if it was just her on the dragon ...

So - the battle.  It was exciting and I loved the SFX but there was an awful lot of nonsense, battle-wise, as well.

Worst for me was the destruction of the food supplies she needed - you know, that she specifically said she needed not ten minutes previously. :bang:

I'm a little confused that the Lannister army brought the scorpion with them (so expecting a dragon attack) but had no-one to 'lock n load' as soon as the dragon was seen.  I realise they wanted Bronn to have the heroics but even so, that was silly.

I'd be impressed if they actually let Jaime die by drowning in his armour - that would be a twist.  Nobody but nobody thinks he's dead though so that's not much of a cliff hanger.

It's one of the Antrim Glens, but it's made to look like Arizona or Utah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dialogue. It used to be clever, now it's always just obvious and weak... Save a few parts (very few). 

I kinda understand Bran, but still... so cringey. Always.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually quite liked this episode but there a few things...

- at least two scenes (in fact I think there were three of them but I can't remember the 3rd one) were practically the same thing that already happened in past seasons - Jaime going down in the water was exactly like  Tyrion drowning after fighting the Stonemen in Season 5, and Arya vs gate guards in Winterfell was exactly the same as Arya vs gate guards in KL in Season 1.

- talking about the water, Jaime was riding on the shores of the lake / river and suddenly he is in such a deep water that he is sinking meters and meters?

- talking about Jaime, he didn't kill neither Dany nor Drogon. Not surprising but I admit that I am slightly disappointed.

- talking about Dany, how many ships she has up her sleeve? In Ep2, a large number of her ships was destroyed by Euron. In Ep3, a large number of her ships was destroyed by Euron again. Yet she has enough ships to move a Dothraki horde over the sea.

- Dany probably has the same radar that Euron had when he found Yara's fleet

- Why nobody helped Bronn to shoot down the dragon? There are tons of soldiers but Bronn uses the massive crossbow all by himself?

- Theon comes on shores like the coolest bloke around but when Jon threatens him, he goes all Reek.

- the paintings in the cave made me laugh. So the children of the forest made only rather simple signs like spirals etc but then they found their artistic self to create such a detailed picture of White Walkers so there were no doubts who the portrayed persons are. 

- I don't get the point of Brienne and Arya fight.

- Was the valyrian steel dagger so over-decorated in season 1 as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how Samwell will react to the potential news of Randyll and Dickon dieing? Do we know if either Randyll or Dickon dies? Would this impact Samwell relationship with Jon Snow, or Snow relationship with Deanerys? If Jon marries Daenerys or gets a closer relationship with her would that push samwell away? Also Jorah who said he would go to Daenerys was healed by Samwell, how would he react to Samwells family being roasted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 6:23 AM, Ser Quork said:

How did Dany's army get there so quickly?  I mean: news has to get back to Dany and then she sets out with her army.  I could understand intercepting the army if it was just her on the dragon ...

Also, you have to wonder, where was Euron's fleet?

Now one might imagine that Dany's dragon's could provide cover for her own fleet. But, if Euron, can completely surprise an experienced skipper, like Yara at night, with that Romulan cloaking device he has (plus his ships seem to be powered by diesel or gas turbines. maybe even nuclear powered), why doesn't he intercept Dany's fleet on its way from or to Dragonstone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Also, you have to wonder, where was Euron's fleet?

Now one might imagine that Dany's dragon's could provide cover for her own fleet. But, if Euron, can completely surprise an experienced skipper, like Yara at night, with that Romulan cloaking device he has (plus his ships seem to be powered by diesel or gas turbines. maybe even nuclear powered), why doesn't he intercept Dany's fleet on its way from or to Dragonstone?

Teleportation solves that problem.

Joking aside, Dragonstone is close enough to the coast to be able to land an army fairly easily.  What's less credible is Dany and the Dothraki riding hundreds of miles  without anyone noticing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What i forgot while writing my original post

- Dany and Missandei talking about Miss and GW going down

- Dany says to Jon that his pride is more important than the lives of his people, yet it is her who insists once again on Jon bending the knee to feed her ego

- Dothraki and their horses are probably immune to dragonfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nami said:

said before now I'm saying again:

what's the deal with Littlefinger? someone put this character out of his misery, already.

Brienne and Arya fight was so fanservicey and I just wanted to punch Arya's smirk off her face.

Bran.

The dialogue is getting worse and worse.

I agree. It was nice to see Brienne kick her smug little ass to the ground. At least once. Arya was one of my favorites and I thought they were going to add to her characters in-show personality. Instead we get a Hit-Girl/Mystique combination that is insufferable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 7:35 AM, SeanF said:

Joking aside, Dragonstone is close enough to the coast to be able to land an army fairly easily.  What's less credible is Dany and the Dothraki riding hundreds of miles  without anyone noticing.

I thought lack of good scouts or recon was just a Northern problem. I guess if the the Vale Army can just stroll around the North without anyone noticing, I guess it's possible in the southern part of Westeros too.

Or maybe nobody thought there was anything unusual about a big Dothraki horde with a big Dragon running around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

I wonder how Samwell will react to the potential news of Randyll and Dickon dieing? Do we know if either Randyll or Dickon dies? Would this impact Samwell relationship with Jon Snow, or Snow relationship with Deanerys? If Jon marries Daenerys or gets a closer relationship with her would that push samwell away? Also Jorah who said he would go to Daenerys was healed by Samwell, how would he react to Samwells family being roasted?

At best he will make some comment that his brother was a good guy and that's it. Like Tyrion and the Sand Snakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

1. The battle scene was pretty well done.

2. Okay, seriously, Arya really is going to be able to go toe to toe with Brienne in a straight up sword fight? While, Arya is one of my favorite characters that scene was ridiculous. Who else can she beat? Arthur Dayne? Barristan in his prime? Two handed Jaime? Sandor? Come on.

3. Speaking of the Arya/Brienne fight? What was Sandra in a huff about? I don’t get it.

4. Why is Little Fucker still sliming around?

Super Bronn and Super Arya were comical, but at least someone finally beat Super Brienne, her invincibility was getting old. Seems like more sibling rivalry filler for Sandra.

She's queen of sibling rivalry filler. Seems like at the end of this season of sibling rivalry filler, she will kill another family killer she chose to align herself with, then smirk.

The show is a series of cardboard cutouts with mystery expressions (it makes no sense so just let everyone fill in the blanks) in contrived absurd situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The anti-dragon crossbow.

The thing is: it's a simple device. No gunpowder, no rockets, no magic, it's all muscle power. How much you put in is how much you get out (AKA the conservation of energy). And the time and effort Jaime put into drawing it were minuscule - so the thing couldn't pack much more (if more at all!) punch than a regular handheld crossbow.

The projectile should have flied a short a pathetic trajectory, uselessly hitting the ground some twenty feet from its origin point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been enjoying the spectacle of the battles this season (+ Pilou Asbæk just being ridiculous in all his scenes) but there is almost zero emotional impact to anything anymore. Previous seasons had Ned's execution, or Jaime airing his soul to Brienne, or Stannis and Davos arguing over Gendry, etc, but this season feels like everything is being done in order to power through the plot and reach the end. Moments that are presumably meant to be emotional (like the Starks reuniting or Cersei dooming Ellaria and Dagger Girl) are impactless, and it doesn't help that 90% of the good actors are dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×