[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

This show has always been awful in my opinion, so I am equally upset when something good shines through for a moment. Like Jaime charging a dragon. Where's this character been for the last four seasons? Whatever. The entire episode was awful--I never thought the moment of the Starks reuniting would be so uninspiring and boring. It's something I've wanted since the Red Wedding (in the books)--and now likely this is the only way I'll ever see it.

And Dany's acting...by god it's terrible. 

I kinda enjoyed this ep and most of my complaints were already adressed, although I still little smiled when Dany suddenly asked Jon for advice and they started another standard illogical dialogue. Benioff and Weiss also haven´t let go another chance for stupid vulgar gag when they made Bronn laugh at Dickon´s name...

3 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

This show has always been awful in my opinion, so I am equally upset when something good shines through for a moment. Like Jaime charging a dragon. Where's this character been for the last four seasons? Whatever. The entire episode was awful--I never thought the moment of the Starks reuniting would be so uninspiring and boring. It's something I've wanted since the Red Wedding (in the books)--and now likely this is the only way I'll ever see it.

And Dany's acting...by god it's terrible. 

Really? Never liked the show? I thought it was terrific for the first 4 seasons.

I guess one thing that truly bothered me about the battle is the location, and that it happened in such an open place.

• So they are somewhere along the Blackwater Rush, but not near KL, because it looks like they are trying to ford the river, rather than use barges and ferries which would be required if you're right at KL. But this area looks like Utah, despite being an area that is essentially the border between the Riverlands, and the Reach, two fertile regions, with plenty of water, and cultivated land. 
  • Jaime, a guy who, just in the last episode, said he learned from his military mistakes, and Randyl Tarly, probably the most experienced battle commander still living, get caught in the open by a massive army. No scouts, no lookouts, they have to rely on Bronn's hearing to learn an enemy is approaching.

8 hours ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

Yes on the Stannis hate. I'll never swallow that. Cannot believe we have lost him on season 5.

And Lannister plot armor... damn. I am already predicting Cersei hiring the Golden Company, who will be revealed as the greatest army in the world and will crush the dothraki+unsullied+northerns+wighs and white walkers all combined

Interesting point about the Golden Company. Is this a chance to bring back Daario Naharis? Cersei hires him but he still loves Danny. Deceit and double-crossing ensues. But for whom?????!!!

------------Nevermind. Daario is Second Sons and not The Golden Company. My mistake.-------------

On 8/7/2017 at 9:56 AM, Corvinus said:

• Jaime, a guy who, just in the last episode, said he learned from his military mistakes, and Randyl Tarly, probably the most experienced battle commander still living, get caught in the open by a massive army. No scouts, no lookouts, they have to rely on Bronn's hearing to learn an enemy is approaching.

More than dragon glass weapons, it would seem what Westeros really needs is some good look outs and scouts, as seemingly there is a severe shortage of them. See generally the Vale Army in the North.

35 minutes ago, Nami said:

Is it possible to whitewash Tyrion even more? Now he will have to stop Dany to save the world! it's a war but he doesn't want anyone to die. now Dany is killing the people who fought for the enemy and was trying to kill her...but he is upset and wants to stop her too.

After what he did, which was to use wildfire to defeat Lannister enemies in Blackwater, now he's saying oh, the humanity! when it's time to kill Cersei, who could be taken out with a precise dragon blast.

so I'm just assuming Brienne wasn't going 100%, right?.....otherwise Harry & Lloyd strike again with another great one

although I enjoyed watching the fight scene at the end, I couldn't help but think, why would they do that?  Dany shoulda just showed up on Drogon with Viserion and Rhaegal and hit them(Lannisters) on the march, then have the Dothraki show up and make the survivors bend the knee

speaking of bending the knee...ugh.  I'm confused why Dany is obsessed with Jon doing this, I really don't understand it.  Jon's running half the continent, she's got an island,  you'd think she'd want Jon on her side, which she does, just not as an equal, cause she's got dragons?

38 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Davos is no longer a character, but rather a bystander who exists solely to ship Dany and Jon for the audience's benefit.

Jaime having ever gone back to Cersei makes even less sense now. His stand against Daenerys would have been so much more powerful if he wasn't already supporting someone who has burned people alive.

Yep. Davos was one of the last characters on this show that was not fully tainted by the Dudebros. Now, he is just backup fodder who also creeps on Missandei like a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving.

6 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

Missandei and Dany's girl talk. *eye roll*

That was so cringeworthy, like dicks are optional. D&D with the 13 year old boy stuff again.

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

"So Missandei, what was it like rubbing up against a man patch? Please tell me more!"

Ha ha ha. They gave Jon a "tiny pecker" so way to set up those lowered expectations.

Here's some of that Emmy winning writing:

Another time, I would have been excited to hear about the Golden Company. Now I cringe, especially considering the treatment the Iron Bank got with the slave trade.

And based on what Tycho said to Cersei, it sounds like the GC are repo-men for the IB. They helped us get our gold back. OK...

Dany super glued to Drogons back :-\

Dany and Jon vibes...it's so forced? Doesn't need to happen. Little to really go on off each other. 

Bend the knee! Put your people over your pride......(naw bih put the people you wish to rule over ahead of YOUR pride and fucking help. Can't rule over the people of the North if there are no people alive to rule over. Duh)

Cersei got the damn gold ugh...

6 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

After what he did, which was to use wildfire to defeat Lannister enemies in Blackwater, now he's saying oh, the humanity! when it's time to kill Cersei, who could be taken out with a precise dragon blast.

Dany would have to systematically destroy the Red Keep to be sure of killing her, and even then, Cersei might take refuge in one of the underground passages. 

That said, a threat to burn down the city with dragonfire, or spare it if the inhabitants brought her Cersei's head, might well have the desired effect.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

The anti-dragon crossbow.

The thing is: it's a simple device. No gunpowder, no rockets, no magic, it's all muscle power. How much you put in is how much you get out (AKA the conservation of energy). And the time and effort Jaime put into drawing it were minuscule - so the thing couldn't pack much more (if more at all!) punch than a regular handheld crossbow.

The projectile should have flied a short a pathetic trajectory, uselessly hitting the ground some twenty feet from its origin point.

This type of error has become more and more common in the series and it completely pulls me out of the immersion every time.  The way that bolt shot at Drogon means Bronn would've needed to be cranking on that thing for an hour to put in the amount of work needed to produce such a velocity.

There are many other instances of this type of nonsense that drive me crazy...

-Last episode Grey Worm threw a spear at a Lannister soldier in Casterly Rock and the guy goes flying backwards and gets pinned against a wall.  Apparently that particular guy just didn't happen to posses any mass.

-During the Battle of the Bastards there is a part where a soldier comes at Jon from the background on horseback and Jon hits him with a swing of Longclaw causing the rider to be thrown backwards off of his mount like he just took a canonball to the chest.  Judging from this instance it is clear that Longclaw must weight north of 300 pounds to produce such an interaction between moving objects.  I shudder to think what Jon could do to a curveball.

-Slightly different but the same vein is Jaime sinking 20 feet deep into a puddle.  His horse was running through the water during the charge so it was about ankle deep at that point, he gets knocked a few feet to the side and now it looks like they dropped him in the ocean.  Only logical answer is that it was in fact some type of infinity pool, probably built by the Children of the Forest cause why not.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Dany would have to systematically destroy the Red Keep to be sure of killing her, and even then, Cersei might take refuge in one of the underground passages. 

That said, a threat to burn down the city with dragonfire, or spare it if the inhabitants brought her Cersei's head, might well have the desired effect.

No, they don't have to do it stupidly. She doesn't spend the whole day indoors. Do some surveillance. Draw her out. And it sure beats a prolonged war.

Archived