Daenerys, Drogon, and the Dothraki are AWESOME!

Wolf's Bane

2 hours ago, daemonTheBlack said:

She might have spared him because she knows Tyrion is fond of him. If you have read the books, then you will know such a decision is very much in Dany's character.

She needs a hostage to get Yara and Ellaria back.  I would have the unsullied beat the snot out of Jaime, leave him barely alive, feed him a slow-acting poison, and trade him for Yara.

56 minutes ago, Heavy D said:

The Dothraki would have won anyway.  Jorah said that he doubted whether the Westerosi can withstand Dothraki arrows.  The Dothraki bow have greater range.  Raining arrows would collapse the line.  The Lannisters got owned.  Total victory for Team Dany.  I love it.

Robert knew it as well "only a fool would face the Dothraki in the open field." They win even without Drogon. It looked like they greatly outnumbered the Lannisters and Tarlys anyway. That was A LOT of Dothraki screamers! 

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

All 3 dragons fought together against the slave master ships in the season finale last season.

Yeah, I remember what happen last season. But there it was not a battle. People were trying to kill her with arrows since nobody expect her to be there...

2 hours ago, Ranger Kragin said:

The fact remains that she did kill him. Regardless of his state. We do not know what how he'd have evolved. Where Magic is involved anything is possible, even for Khal Drogo to recover and continue to be a badass. This is what I meant.

I wonder if Bran did see this too and use the information. And if Jon would still think she's a great heart knowing that she killed her husband out of love.

In my point of view death was a gift. Dany tried and tried an tried to make him like he was before(especially in the books). Nothing worked. She couldn't see the glorious Khal, the greatest Khal of the great grass sea of his time being like this. Drogo wouldn't want such a life... By killing him and burning him he gave him a death with pride.. He would ride with the great Khal on stars(or sth like this). If he kept him like this nobody would remember him as a great Khal....

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," she said sadly. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When my womb quickens again, and I bear a living child. Then you will return, my sun-and-stars, and not before."

Do you doubt he loved him?

3 hours ago, usul said:

Dany has done a very wrong move in this battle;

she didn't see the warchiefs (jaime has a pretty recognable white horse and a have a leading position on the battle field) and didn't toasted them ... could have ended half the war in a single breath of Drogon !

She has had very poor advisors. In this case it was Dan and Dave telling her not to go after Jamie since he is needed in future episodes.

12 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

After tonight, it should be consensus that Tyrion no longer should be Dany's hand with the complaint at minimum, he can not be impartial and was a poor choice in the first place since it is his sibblings and his family that are the main villains South of the Wall and have been since this story/show began. Lannister dying was wonderful and a long time coming. Too bad, none of the main ones got it, yet that is.

Your view that the Lannisters have always been the "villains" since the show began is overly simplistic and hardly the case. There's good and bad on the Lannister side and Jaime and Bronn are the former. They did not come across as "villains" in this episode just like Dany and her weapon of mass destruction and her savages barely came across as a heroic. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

We saw Dothraki riders being shot down by Lannister archers and impaled on their spears, so they might very well have held out.  So long as the Lannisters maintained their shieldwall, few of the arrows would have struck home, and eventually, the Dothraki would have run out.

Yeah, I think those Lannister soldiers might be in the running for this week's lost battalion award given they were repeatedly hammered from the air and attacked on all sides and outnumbered, but still gave a pretty good fight.

In the books when Jorah talks about the Dothraki defeating Westerosi forces he seemingly alludes to the fact, in his opinion,that the majority of Westerosi  forces are a "rabble".

I'm not sure what exactly those Lannister infantry soldiers were, but they surely in the hell were no rabble, even if they lacked any special snow flakiness and were just low life infantry scumbags.

So I think when that Dothraki person decided to take a swipe at the people of Westeros, St. Tyrion might have probably told that Dothraki sort of person to go piss off.

19 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, I think those Lannister soldiers might be in the running for this week's lost battalion award given they were repeatedly hammered from the air and attacked on all sides and outnumbered, but still gave a pretty good fight.

In the books when Jorah talks about the Dothraki defeating Westerosi forces he seemingly alludes to the fact, in his opinion,that the majority of Westerosi  forces are a "rabble".

I'm not sure what exactly those Lannister infantry soldiers were, but they surely in the hell were no rabble, even if they lacked any special snow flakiness and were just low life infantry scumbags.

So I think when that Dothraki person decided to take a swipe at the people of Westeros, St. Tyrion might have probably told that Dothraki sort of person to go piss off.

The Lannisters were the best that Westeros had to offer.  But they were still no match for the Dothraki.  The books are clear on this.  Nobody wins against the Dothraki in the open field.  And the Unsullied at Qohor?  They were defending a gate and it's not out in the wide open field.  

And the Dothraki would have given Tyrion a rather energetic backhand across the mouth. 

1 minute ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

The Lannisters were the best that Westeros had to offer.  But they were still no match for the Dothraki.  The books are clear on this.  Nobody wins against the Dothraki in the open field.  And the Unsullied at Qohor?  They were defending a gate and it's not out in the wide open field.  

Really the Lannisters are the best? Better than anyone else? I don't think that is true. And I don't think it's quite clear the Dothraki would just steamroll any Westerosi army. There has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic on the book forum military threads.

The fact of the matter is Calvary archers are no trump card. It's true the Mongolians were highly successful. It's also seemingly true that the Dothraki seem like a low rent version of the Mongols.

And as I said, the Lannister troops as presented in the show were hardly a "rabble", it would seem.

3 hours ago, SerMudz said:

Your view that the Lannisters have always been the "villains" since the show began is overly simplistic and hardly the case. There's good and bad on the Lannister side and Jaime and Bronn are the former. They did not come across as "villains" in this episode just like Dany and her weapon of mass destruction and her savages barely came across as a heroic. 

I understand that the Lannisters do have their admirers.

I thought the show did an unbelievable job of portraying the Dothraki as badass, after a really long time of downplaying them and making them seem like jokes (it's basically been since Season 1 and Khal Drogo that the Dothraki haven't really seemed like threats).  I really appreciated the stunt choreography of those Dothraki getting up on their horses to shoot arrows as well as that Spiderman Dothraki who jumped off his horse straight into murdering someone.  

15 hours ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

Guys the dothraki would win this regardless. Daenerys as a good leader minimized the casualities, that's all. The dothraki have been set up as the ultimate army in this show since season one.

The only army that can and will destroy the dothrakis is the Golden Company (this is NOT a spoiler, it is simply narrative interpretation: Cersei said this episode she will hire the Golden Company, therefore they will be the big bad next season, therefore they will be the most powerful army and probably will impale the Unsullied, Dothraki and Northerns all together)

She's a terrible leader, she had the Dothraki charge right at a shield wall, which maximizes casualties. It's actually suicidal because horses won't approach the spears.

The Dothraki beat a small portion of a tired Lannister army - with the help of a dragon. I don't see how that puts them above Westerosi soldiers.

The only thing this episode proved is that Bronn is one of the most badass characters in the world. It's only a shame he didn't manage to kill the flying fucker or his monotone rider. Would've kind of liked if Bronn had died in this episode, though; going out fighting against a dragon is a pretty neat way to die - especially compared to many of the characters who died rather shitty deaths.

19 hours ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

I love that Dothraki telling Tyrion "your people can't fight".  That will put to rest any question of which people are better in battle.  The Dothraki will beat the Westerosi in open combat.  Bronn deserves to die for what he did, that bastard.  I hope he's dead.

That sonofabitch is still alive.  I hope the Dothraki find his ass and torture him to death.  And if that little shit Tyrion utters one of his bullshit advice, burn the Imp with dragon fire.

It's a fantasy show though, so what might happen in real life if they charged a shield wall is not important.

Just look at Return of the King, the Riders of Rohan charged straight into a massive shield wall pretty much and with the volume of horsemen they had it didn;'t matter for shit. Sheer volume and weight would prevail.
The Dothraki were no different, they probably vastly outnumbered the Lannister & Tarly army which was hastily prepared and not really prepared to have to face that sort of mounted force.

Add in a single dragon and anything could happen. Lord only knows what would happen with all 3 dragon in play.

In fact is makes me wonder what those wars in Essos with Valyria vs the Rhoynar, or Old Ghis would have been like, there were 300+ dragons in some of those conflicts. That would be an apocalyptic inferno in that sort of situation, no wonder the Valyrians crush all before them.

16 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Well, what Ido know is that his soft, subtle advice has only worked to his sister's favor and he is adamant about not using her heavier weapons to win quickly. The Queen of Thorns had the right of it all.  Funny, the last time King's Landing was sacked was when Tywin betrayed Aerys and rape and pillage went down. That was Tyrion's people, the Lannisters.  I have no respect for any Lannister and the Imp ought to be replaced as Dany's hand but she won't.

The perfect Hand of the Queen is coming.   Ser Jorah Mormont is on his way to Dragonstone.  It's time to kill the lions.  Any hints of betrayal from Tyrion and he too should be fed to the fire.

The Westerosi soldiers could not have held that line.  Watch that sequence closely. 

1. The soldiers on the line formed their shields. 
  2. The Dothraki simply adapted.  They stood on their horses while on the move and shot their arrows over the shields.  Randy, Jaime, Dickweed, and Bronn have never fought an army who ride, stand on their horses, and aim their arrows with great accuracy.  A
  3. A thin line of men can't hope to stop a charge.  The momentum was too great. 

Archived