Is Sansa threatened by Ayra?

wolfsbae

I found the scene with Ayra, Brienne and Sansa jarring -- why was Sansa looking at Ayra that way? Is she threatened by Ayra as well as Jon now, or? I kept waiting for the moment her face would break out into a proud sisterly smile at seeing her little sister fight because that would have been the response that would have made the most sense to me. Instead she looked over the situation with disapproval/jealousy/scorn/idk? It didn't work because I couldn't understand the reason for conflict. 

Threatened? No. Does she probably feel like dirt? Yes. Arya's younger, smaller, and also a girl, and she can defend herself probably better than Jon can. Sansa's probably told herself that there's nothing she could have done about the things that have happened to her because she was a girl, and there's Arya proving that's not the case at all. Sansa's big thing is feeling weak and powerless, and there's Arya demonstrating her own empowerment.

I think the idea of Sansa looking down proudly as she watched Arya hold her own against Brienne would have been strange. It is no shock that Sansa was in shock as she watched Arya display the skills she had developed. That will have raised more and more questions to Sansa: 'how did she learn that? where did she learn that?' I think it is the realisation for Sansa that when she met Jon again, he was different, when Bran came back, he was different and now Arya has come back, she is also different. Sansa knows she herself is different, too. She can see now that none of Ned Stark's surviving children feel like the siblings she once knew.

I wouldn't say she is threatened; just because Arya can fight doesn't mean she is smart politically as Sansa. In terms of running Winterfell, Sansa has no need to worry about Arya taking her place, in my eyes.

Well, I imagine she would feel pretty overshadowed by just about any of her kin by now. Jon became king in the north, Bran is now a robot who knows everything ever, Arya is badass fighter/assassin capable of possibly besting even Brienne (which is BS in it's own right but let's not get into that now). What does she have?

I don't think she feels threatened. I think she is impressed by her but also she is facing the fact that her family is not the same as they were. I feel that Sansa is so happy to see them, but reality is not what she had hoped for. That is perhaps the saddest part in these reunions.

6 minutes ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

What does she have?

I think that being the Lady of Winterfell is enough for her as she seems to be satisfied with the position. I don't think she is being jealous of Bran and Arya. 

11 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I wouldn't say she is threatened; just because Arya can fight doesn't mean she is smart politically as Sansa. In terms of running Winterfell, Sansa has no need to worry about Arya taking her place, in my eyes.

I agree. She didn't worry about that with Bran, she would even less worry about Arya. And even then, she was readily offering Bran his rightful title. 

44 minutes ago, Risto said:

I think that being the Lady of Winterfell is enough for her as she seems to be satisfied with the position. I don't think she is being jealous of Bran and Arya. 

That's just a temporary title given to her by Jon though. And even if he doesn't return, I'd imagine Bran would be Lord of winterfell in that case, if not KITN.

1 minute ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

That's just a temporary title given to her by Jon though. And even if he doesn't return, I'd imagine Bran would be Lord of winterfell in that case, if not KITN.

Winterfell is Bran's by rights but if Bran isn't acknowledging himself as Bran Stark, I can't imagine he is ever going to want to be Lord of Winterfell, never mind King in the North. From all that he has 'seen', he probably knows Jon is the best equipped for the roles.

4 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Winterfell is Bran's by rights but if Bran isn't acknowledging himself as Bran Stark, I can't imagine he is ever going to want to be Lord of Winterfell, never mind King in the North. From all that he has 'seen', he probably knows Jon is the best equipped for the roles.

I'm not arguing that Bran would want to be the lord of winterfell, by all acounts he doesn't. I was just making a case for Sansa feeling overshadowed by all her siblings.

31 minutes ago, Fexyr said:

Sansa didn't like one bit when Arya asked Brienne if Cat told her to serve both of her daughters. 

I wouldn't say she's jealous, but she seemed worried. 

Why would she be worried that she has to share Brienne? That's not what that expression looked like to me and many others. That just sort of set the tone really, she literally huffs off and even Brienne drops her smile. 

It might be worth checking in with D&D to shed some light:

30 minutes ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

No, it isn't temporary title given by Jon, She IS Lady of Winterfell  in the show. Since Bran doesn't want to be Lord, WF is hers.

2 minutes ago, Risto said:

No, it isn't temporary title given by Jon, She IS Lady of Winterfell  in the show. Since Bran doesn't want to be Lord, WF is hers.

Sorry but how does that logic work, Jon ,as KING, says she has WF untill he returns, how does that not qualify in any way as temporary?

24 minutes ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

Sorry but how does that logic work, Jon ,as KING, says she has WF untill he returns, how does that not qualify in any way as temporary?

According to the show's canon, Jon is King in the North, she is Lady of Winterfell. She became Lady of WF immediately after BoB. So, it is not temporary. Her Regency is.

5 minutes ago, Risto said:

According to the show's canon, Jon is King in the North, she is Lady of Winterfell. She became Lady of WF immediately after BoB. So, it is not temporary. Her Regency is.

hmm, you are right. Sorry about my misunderstanding, I haven't slept in like 30 hours. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think she was shocked and a bit disturbed. Up until then, Sansa didn't truly believe that her sister was an assassin with a hit list, and now the evidence is piling up that she is. That's a lot to take in in one day. D&D even said as much in the post-credits.

I think the claims that she's jealous comes from the remaining fans who are still clinging on to the hopes of Starkbowl. I don't know why so many people actually want the Stark sisters to turn against each other, but for whatever reason they have their hearts set on it. 

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think she was shocked and a bit disturbed. Up until then, Sansa didn't truly believe that her sister was an assassin with a hit list, and now the evidence is piling up that she is. That's a lot to take in in one day. D&D even said as much in the post-credits.

Definitely this, 

1. She escapes the guards
  2. Sansa meets her in the crypts
  3. They laugh it off at the fact she has a list, some sort of joke
  4. Bran then confirms that she does have a list.
  5. Sansa shocked but probably doesnt believe it
  6. Not sure Arya's full intention is to make Sansa see it
  7. Her fighting Brienne is a statement to the audience
  8. Sansa is shocked as all the pieces fit the puzzle now.
  9. Will they discuss how Arya has become so well skilled.
5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think the claims that she's jealous come from the remaining fans who are still clinging on to the hopes of Starkbowl. I don't know why so many people actually want the Stark sisters to turn against each other, but for whatever reason they have their hearts set on it. 

Starkbowl is a crazy theory in my opinions. 

Umm I didn't read anything postive in the look that Sansa gave as she looked down upon Brienne and Arya. If she was shocked I didn't get that from the look. So maybe Sofie needs to work on her shocked look? I don't know exactly what to call that look but as I said I don't believe it was anything positive. Worry? Maybe. She might be a bit worried that her name could possibly be on that hit list. After all when Sansa asked her who all was on the list, Arya gave a smirk and just said "most of them are already dead." Maybe Sansa is worried that Arya put off killing Cersei to come and kill her...Why would Sansa be on Aryas list? Maybe because she's a liar? Maybe because she thinks Arya petty and holds a grudge because Sansa didn't stick up for her. She betrayed the pack......

Archived