Who could be members of the Kingsguard of King Stannis?

Hrulj

I'm writing a fanfic in which Stannis takes Kings Landing during the battle of Blackwater bay and manages to repulse Lannister and Tyrell forces. One of the things he needs to decide are members of the Kingsguard. So far I'm thinking of these men:

1. Brynden Tully
  2. Barristan Selmy
  3. Parmen Crane
  4. Richard Horpe
  5. Godry Farring
  6. Rolland Storm Caron
  7. Balon Swan

Is there any reason why any of these men would refuse to serve him? Also what is your oppinion on how they would fare as members of Kingsguard?

He will keep an open spot for Ser Barristan until he refuses.

If Ser Barristan or Blackwish were to refuse, I'm thinking of Mors Umber or Victarion joining as part of a peace deal. What are your thoughts on these men? Any Northerners/Iron Islanders who could/would serve as members of the Kingsguard?

Stannis believes that he is the rightfull King of Westeros and therefore the already existing Kingsguard members would stay in the Kingsguard. They were only doing their duty. Jaime would be executed of course and the hound is not a knight, so he would probaply lose his position as well. This means that there are 2 free positions on the Kingsguard. 

Barristan Selmy is supporting Dany, so he won't join Stannis Kingsguard. Brynden Tully is fighting for Robb Stark, so he is also not getting a white cloak. 

Godry Farring and Rickard Horpe seem to be the 2 best choices. Loras Tyrell is of course also a posibillity. 

I'd guess that the current Kingsguard would be killed in battle or deemed unworthy of the white cloak. Stannis would want to eliminate corruption for good, so he'd fill in the Kingsguard with loyal men he could trust.

Those men would certainly include Richard Horpe and Godry Farring. Rolland Storm would probably be legitimized and given Nightsong, and Justin Massey would get Stonedance back or maybe some other castle.

3 hours ago, Steel Stag said:

Stannis believes that he is the rightfull King of Westeros and therefore the already existing Kingsguard members would stay in the Kingsguard. They were only doing their duty. Jaime would be executed of course and the hound is not a knight, so he would probaply lose his position as well. Preston Greenfield died before the battle of Blackwater bay happened and needs to be replaced as well. This means that there are 3 free positions on the Kingsguard. 

Barristan Selmy is supporting Dany, so he won't join Stannis Kingsguard. Brynden Tully is fighting for Robb Stark, so he is also not getting a white cloak. 

Balon Swan, Godry Farring and Rickard Horpe seem to be the 3 best choices. Loras Tyrell is of course also a posibillity. 

I don't see Stannis keeping anyone from old Kingsguard, save Barristan perhaps due to his renown. And I know Blackfish was with Robb, but I was thinking that after fall ok KL they could make peace and part of it would be Blackfish in Kingsguard. 

Also, what do you think of men in it? Is it a good kingsguard or toadies?

Balon Swann was KG for Joffrey during the Blackwater, so if he is allowed to retain his white cloak is if all of Joffrey's KG do. You could get around this by having Trant, Kettleblack and Moore die in the battle. Jaime and the Hound can be stripped of the cloak in a way the others couldn't be; the Hound deserted and isn't a knight and Jaime committed treason multiple times. Ofc, with this Arys Oakheart would also have to be kept on, providing he surrenders when word of the Lannister defeat on the Blackwater reaches Dorne.

That leaves you with five open positions. Guyard Morrigen, if he survives the battle, is a good choice as he was one of Renly's rainbow guard all of whom were decent knights. Crane would be another viable option but at the time he'd be a prisoner of the Tyrell's, so perhaps not. He could be a replacement later in the story if one of Stannis' KG dies. Stannis might not declare war on the Tyrell's; if they bend the knee when he takes KL; but neither would he reward them, so Loras is out. Richard Horpe and Rolland Storm are good choices, skilled knights and loyal. Horpe was passed over for a place in Roberts KG but Cersei wanted Trant instead. Godry works. I'd suggest someone like Gerold Gower, Bonnifer Hasty, Justin Massey or Andrew Estermont (my personal choice) or maybe Brus Buckler or someone like that for the seventh spot.

So I'd say Balon Swann, Arys Oakheart, Godry Farring, Rolland Storm, Guyard Morrigen, Justin Massey and Richard Horpe.

Barristan wouldn't work; he's loyal to Dany

Blackfish wouldn't work; he's loyal to Robb, and Stannis and Robb could never come to a peace. My suggestion, don't try. Have them fight. It makes it less like everything is going right for the Stark's/Baratheon's and also allows for people like the Lannister's and Greyjoy's to stay in the story as a credible threat until Dany/Aegon arrive.

4 hours ago, Hrulj said:

I don't see Stannis keeping anyone from old Kingsguard, save Barristan perhaps due to his renown. And I know Blackfish was with Robb, but I was thinking that after fall ok KL they could make peace and part of it would be Blackfish in Kingsguard. 

Also, what do you think of men in it? Is it a good kingsguard or toadies?

Trant is an asshole, but he is a decent fighter. Blount might have been a good fighter once, but he is fat and useless now. Oakheart, Moore and Swann are all good fighters and deserve their White cloaks. The hound an excellent fighter of course, he is no knight though. It goes without saying that Jaime is a great fighter, but he would be executed. 

16 hours ago, Steel Stag said:

I agree with you and Stannis has many reasons to hate them. But Loras Tyrell would be/is an excellent Kingsguard. 

He will never trust Loras and the Tyrells would make sure Stannis won't last on the IT for long

It depends how the war pans out. However, let’s say the battle of breakwater bay is successful and everyone bends the knee afterwards. Than this would probably be Stannis list

Ser Erren Florent – the Florents gambled on Stannis even though the odds in favour were ridiculously low. I can Stannis giving see the Florent’s main branch the Reach with Imry (Selyse’s brother) being given Highgarden. Selyse’s younger brother Erren will probably get the KG.

Sir Lomas Estermont – the man has been fiercely loyal to Stannis even after the war of blackwater’s bay (ok in the alternative timeline such loyalty isn’t tested but surely Lomas had been around for long enough to prove his loyalty) and we all know that Stannis rewards loyalty.  I won’t be surprised if Stannis keeps Lomas as a member of the KG.

Edric Storm – I can see Davos convincing Stannis to appoint Edric as KG. It makes sense. Edric is Stannis’s nephew, he can be groomed into a great warrior as Robert was and as member of the KG, Stannis would strip him from any shred of claim the boy might have.

Devan Seaworth – He’s Davos fifth son and he’s currently serving as Stannis’s squire. Irrespective of how generous Stannis will be at his beloved hand, Devan can’t aim for a greatest prize then the KG. I won’t be surprised if Stannis reserves a place for the boy which will grant him a loyal KG in the process.

Richard Horpe – He’s been dreaming to become KG for ages and had always been loyal to Stannis. I can see him granting him such wish.

Godfry Farring – Stannis answer for Gregor Clegane. Godfry is decent with the swords and thanks to his zealot nature he will probably get support for KG by both Selyse and Melisandre. 

Potential candidates

Ser Andrew Estermont – Former Stannis squire and Sir Lomas's son. Similarly to his dad he was alongside Stannis from day one. I can see Lomas eyeing for a lordship for his own son instead. However, if Stannis decides to surround himself with loyal men then Andrew might end up in the KG's as well

Balon Swann - Stannis will not accept anyone who defended an abomination/usurper. So if Stannis win then most of the KG will end up death. The only exception might be Balon. His connections (Donnel Swann) might be enough for him to keep his role and his head. 

1 hour ago, devilish said:

Balon Swann - Stannis will not accept anyone who defended an abomination/usurper. So if Stannis win then most of the KG will end up death. The only exception might be Balon. His connections (Donnel Swann) might be enough for him to keep his role and his head.

Stannis declared that supporters of Renly are worse than supporters of Joffrey. Because supporters of Joffrey believe that they are defending Robert´s trueborn son, they are merely wrong about that fact, while the supporters of Renly knew all along they were fighting for an usurper.

Of the Rainbow Guard, three - Guyard Morrigen, Bryce Caron and Parmen Crane - defected to Stannis. The first two died for Stannis at Blackwater, and ser Parmen was sent along with ser Erren Florent to take over Renly´s foot, but captured at Bitterbridge.

But the three Rainbow Guard in Stannis´ service are not mentioned to have been in Stannis´ Kingsguard.

• 2 weeks later...

Here some of the character that could join Stannis' KG

Balon Swann-He skilled and became KG on merit(Stannis would keep him him as KG because Balon earned it)

Brienne of Tarth-Hear me out, if Brienne was sworn to Stannis instead of Renly, Stannis might let her be in KG if she proved herself to be deserving of it.

Devan Seaworth-He would be in KG if he grows up to be a skilled knight

Selmy can be LC of KG again

Sandor Clegene-Both Sandor and Stannis were both in their brother shadow.  Both men are not great with people and rarely spare people's feelings. Stannis might have Sandor in his KG for his fighting ability and honesty(Stannis respect a person who say what on their mind).  

Ser. Barristan would definitely turn his cloak again to join King Stannis, IMO. Once Barristan hears Stannis has taken the Throne he'd turn around on whatever ship he's on to serve an honorable King like Stannis.

Also since Selyse is unable to give him more heirs Stannis could take Sansa for a wife in order to make Robb and the Starks/Tullys happy to bend the knee,  So with Sansa as the new Queen you could add some Riverlanders and Northerners to the Kingsguard as well.

On 19/08/2017 at 8:33 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Ser. Barristan would definitely turn his cloak again to join King Stannis, IMO. Once Barristan hears Stannis has taken the Throne he'd turn around on whatever ship he's on to serve an honorable King like Stannis.

Also since Selyse is unable to give him more heirs Stannis could take Sansa for a wife in order to make Robb and the Starks/Tullys happy to bend the knee,  So with Sansa as the new Queen you could add some Riverlanders and Northerners to the Kingsguard as well.

Except by that point Barristan was already with Dany, or at least not far off. He was already 'Arstan Whitebeard' at the very least and commited to fighting for Dany.

That would never work because the Northerners have already said they don't want to be ruled from Kings Landing; whether it be Joffrey, Tommen, Stannis or Renly.

On 08/08/2017 at 3:45 PM, devilish said:

It depends how the war pans out. However, let’s say the battle of breakwater bay is successful and everyone bends the knee afterwards. Than this would probably be Stannis list

Ser Erren Florent – the Florents gambled on Stannis even though the odds in favour were ridiculously low. I can Stannis giving see the Florent’s main branch the Reach with Imry (Selyse’s brother) being given Highgarden. Selyse’s younger brother Erren will probably get the KG.

Sir Lomas Estermont – the man has been fiercely loyal to Stannis even after the war of blackwater’s bay (ok in the alternative timeline such loyalty isn’t tested but surely Lomas had been around for long enough to prove his loyalty) and we all know that Stannis rewards loyalty.  I won’t be surprised if Stannis keeps Lomas as a member of the KG.

Edric Storm – I can see Davos convincing Stannis to appoint Edric as KG. It makes sense. Edric is Stannis’s nephew, he can be groomed into a great warrior as Robert was and as member of the KG, Stannis would strip him from any shred of claim the boy might have.

Devan Seaworth – He’s Davos fifth son and he’s currently serving as Stannis’s squire. Irrespective of how generous Stannis will be at his beloved hand, Devan can’t aim for a greatest prize then the KG. I won’t be surprised if Stannis reserves a place for the boy which will grant him a loyal KG in the process.

Richard Horpe – He’s been dreaming to become KG for ages and had always been loyal to Stannis. I can see him granting him such wish.

Godfry Farring – Stannis answer for Gregor Clegane. Godfry is decent with the swords and thanks to his zealot nature he will probably get support for KG by both Selyse and Melisandre. 

Potential candidates

Ser Andrew Estermont – Former Stannis squire and Sir Lomas's son. Similarly to his dad he was alongside Stannis from day one. I can see Lomas eyeing for a lordship for his own son instead. However, if Stannis decides to surround himself with loyal men then Andrew might end up in the KG's as well

Erren Florent- Possible, but we have nothing about his skills. Also, the only Florent with Stannis from the get go was Axell. The rest supported Renly.

Lomas Estermont- Again, nothing about his skills has been indicated in the books. And again, the Estermonts first joined Renly.

Edric-Too young, Stannis needs KG on the day not five years later. Potential future member though

Devan-Assuming he doesn't become the heir to Davos' lands (which he would if the elder four Seaworth's died), he has the same issue as Edric.

Horpe and Farring- Good choices, no dispute from me.

Balon Swann- Defo

Andrew Estermont- Maybe, but again he wasn't with Stannis from the start.

10 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Except by that point Barristan was already with Dany, or at least not far off. He was already 'Arstan Whitebeard' at the very least and commited to fighting for Dany.

That would never work because the Northerners have already said they don't want to be ruled from Kings Landing; whether it be Joffrey, Tommen, Stannis or Renly.

Erren Florent- Possible, but we have nothing about his skills. Also, the only Florent with Stannis from the get go was Axell. The rest supported Renly.

Lomas Estermont- Again, nothing about his skills has been indicated in the books. And again, the Estermonts first joined Renly.

Edric-Too young, Stannis needs KG on the day not five years later. Potential future member though

Devan-Assuming he doesn't become the heir to Davos' lands (which he would if the elder four Seaworth's died), he has the same issue as Edric.

Horpe and Farring- Good choices, no dispute from me.

Balon Swann- Defo

Andrew Estermont- Maybe, but again he wasn't with Stannis from the start.

I don't think Stannis care too much about skill. Else he wouldn't put Davos as HOTK. He values loyalty above everything else and lets face it, he will need it.  Stannis is a no nonsense type of king. He will be stepping on hundreds of toes from the Lannisters to the Tyrells right to the faith militant, all of which would want him dead. What's the point of having an elite bodyguard if he ends up pollinating your wife and backstabbing you?

Also note that Stannis pool of friends is painfully small. Those friends will therefore become extremely powerful and will be demanding things. Granting people a KG title is an elegant way to give them something that is not a lordship. No one can say no to the unique honour of serving the very king they have vowed to protect can they? That's why Tywin had no choice but to accept Jamie's entrance in the KG with a false smile on his face. 

Most of the people i mentioned are knights. Stannis values the title and expects people with such title to be able to hold themselves on the battlefield. They are people who proved their loyalty for the king at a time when the easier choice would be to bail out. 

3 minutes ago, devilish said:

I don't think Stannis care too much about skill. Else he wouldn't put Davos as HOTK. He values loyalty above everything else and lets face it, he will need it.  Stannis is a no nonsense type of king. He will be stepping on hundreds of toes from the Lannisters to the Tyrells right to the faith militant, all of which would want him dead. What's the point of having an elite bodyguard if he ends up pollinating your wife and backstabbing you?

Most of the people i mentioned are knights. Stannis values the title and expects people with such title to be able to hold themselves on the battlefield. They are people who proved their loyalty for the king at a time when the easier choice would be to bail out. 

Yet you haven't addressed the issue of Devan and Edric not being knights yet. And the Estermont's and Florent's are no more loyal than Parmen Crane, Guyard Morrigen or Rolland Storm who are also skilled with a sword. If you could have loyal and skilled KG why on earth would you pick loyal and unskilled.

10 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Yet you haven't addressed the issue of Devan and Edric not being knights yet. And the Estermont's and Florent's are no more loyal than Parmen Crane, Guyard Morrigen or Rolland Storm who are also skilled with a sword. If you could have loyal and skilled KG why on earth would you pick loyal and unskilled.

I am obsessed about medieval monarchy and politics and let me assure you one thing. Those who are closest to the king hold true power. The more people a family has inside the king's inner circle, the more powerful it gets. 

Devan: He's theHOTK's 5th son. He's so down the ranks that no matter how much daddy goes up he will barely ever inherit anything. Therefore his only way of carving a decent life for himself is through his services. As Stannis squire (which is a very prestigeous role) the move from squire to KG is relatively short. If Stannis knights him then surely he's good enough for KG's right? Surely Stannis won't knight someone whose not even able to protect him. 

Usually appointments are way more complicated then Im mentioning and the king will usually need persuasion from different people who are close to him. The scratch my back to sratch yours rule used to apply quite regularly in court. The Florents for example might help Davos get what he wants if in turn he helps the Florent get what they want. 

Edric's appointment will be political. His father was a king who was loved by everyone, something Stannis will never be. Considering the reputation surrounding bastards in GOT + the hornet's nest king Stannis will kick to win his throne, then having Edric around will be problematic. There again, having him killed would one hell of a taboo to break. Edric is related to both the King and his wife. Therefore an elegant way of getting rid of him would be to appoint him as KG. He's Stannis nephew so its only fitting to get a prestigeous role in court and by being KG he will have to forfeit any claim (whether legitimate or illegitimate it doesn't really matter) to his daddy's throne.

Archived