PREDICTIONS

Iron Mother

- Gold got back to Cersei, she is building her army back up. Possibly now looking into the romance with Euron because Jamie may be dead according to reports.

- Jamie is fine and him and Bronn get out of the surprisingly deep lake.. I am going to say they are captured. If they are captured, the whole Valonqar prophecy I think would take forever now (though I am not convinced the show is going to do that).

- Jon and Dany continue their weird romance thing that's going on.

- Davos makes snarky comments and hopefully continues to correct people's grammar. 

- Bran sees the WW and relays the message to Jon via Raven, makes it in record time. Jon tries to convince everyone, but they (Dany and her army) are still not going to go.

- Arya and Sansa go back to like they were in season 1. Fighting with each other so the show can create more drama...

- Brianne continues to look left, then right. 

- Tyrion struggles with internal conflict from watching Lannister men die but hating his sister. Dany still mad at him.

- LF is useless for one more episode. Dies the 6th. 

- Episode ends with WW breaking through Eastwatch. Or at the very least getting to Eastwatch and working on breaking it down. (But my money is on they break through, just based on how quick everything is going this season).

On 8/8/2017 at 10:28 AM, Super Mario said:

Jaime realizes the abyss he plunged into isn’t an abyss at all and is truly only 8 feet off shore and 2 feet deep. He thus bravely stands the hell up, and survives.

This made me crack up.  No way are they killing of Jaime that way. 

Random prediction, mostly based on wishful thinking, the most elusive of mythical beasts - Howland Reed - finally shows the fuck up.  Confirms Jon's parentage (which Bran already said, but couldn't prove because he's just some weird kid who claims to have visions) WITH Robb's will.  Jon is now confirmed as Lord of Winterfell and a legitimate Targ (R&L were married).  

Yeah, I'm a Jon fan.  Or a fan of the north to be more precise. 

11 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

Random prediction, mostly based on wishful thinking, the most elusive of mythical beasts - Howland Reed - finally shows the fuck up.  Confirms Jon's parentage (which Bran already said, but couldn't prove because he's just some weird kid who claims to have visions) WITH Robb's will.  Jon is now confirmed as Lord of Winterfell and a legitimate Targ (R&L were married).  

I like this one, from your mouth to D&D's ears! 

13 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

I mean, this is how the show has to confirm Jon's parentage, right? I don't really see any other way to do it besides BranBot saying something and I don't think he will/or have proof, really. Though I hope it's not super clunky dialog of Howland Reed showing up, "Oh hey, haven't seen you all in forever, is Jon Targaryen still here? Oh you didn't know? Yeah, totally a Targ..." By the way, do we know where the will is? Can't remember...

It would be interesting if he is a legitimate Targ, have there ever been hints to R&L being married? Show or books?

The episode will open with Dothraki pulling Bronn and Jaime out of the water.  Tyrion will intervene and help them escape (probably while disguised) in a relatively quick and touching scene while their is still relative chaos abounding, thus returning the favor for Jaime freeing Tyrion before his pending execution.

Crazy-ass Daenerys gives a speech about "bend the knee or burn blah blah blah ask anyone I'm the greatest woman to ever walk the planet I don't have servants against their will I just demand that everyone do whatever I say or I'll have them killed in the most horrible fashion possible" to which I shell shocked Dickon Tarly having just killed his Tyrell friends then watching his Tarly friends get crushed is just like "fuck this world, give me the fire" and he and Randyll get toasted.  Dany fans cheer this.  Girl power.  D&D are the biggest feminists ever.  Yay.

Cersei and Qyburn and the Iron Bank talk about plans to summon Euron back to King's Landing and prepare for the defense of the city.  No word on if Jaime has survived yet there.

Sansa and Arya get in a fight about nothing at all.  Littlefinger just smiles in the background.

The Hound, Thoros, and Beric have some fun conversation in the snow, and meet up with Tormund and his crew at Eastwatch to discuss the pending coming of the others.

The actual Night's Watch continue to be ignored.

Regarding Varys and Tyrion conversation, I believe they are talking about Dany wanting to sentence Jaime, Bronn & the Tarlys to death by fire, due to their refusal to bend the knee.

So, as her "best" political advisors, they see it's way better to keep them captive, gaining allies in the reach and maybe parley with mad queen Cersei later. No dracarys, fewer CGI costs.

Sorry, but I don't buy the idea of them plotting to smuggle Tyrion inside Kings Ladding to speak with his sister. Too complex, too risky, zero chances of success

Makes sense?

Also, I believe after the Iron Bank take Cersei's gold they will indeed hire the golden company...

But they will arrive and support Dany's cause, putting a final dagger in the mad queen's ambitions.
In other words, Tycho will backstab her after collecting. The debt can be paid later by Dany.
This is a hard choice for the Iron Bank, at the same time Dany freed slaves (they approve) and has fire nukes (the definitely disapprove).

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die"

14 hours ago, Olligarchy said:

Peoples dislike of Daenerys mostly stems from the fact that she's clearly the character we're supposed to root for, and when she does something wrong in the story nobody ever calls her out on it. It makes her appear very flat, boring and annoying 'overpowered' in a series of books where everyone elses victories and defeats are counted in equal measure.

I'd hesitate to use the term Mary Sue in such a well written series of books, but I find it a label hard to argue against when one starts to list out the things she has done with no real education and just magical prophecy shite as reasoning for it succeeding.

That said... for the next episode I predict Jon finding out his name is a lot longer and ends with 'ryen'.

I can understand that side but I think Dany is pulled up on her mistakes. Her council often make her aware of the wrong decisions she has made, decisions that other characters (particularly Jon Snow) make too. I found this and it explains my point of view perfectly - 

Jon, in ADWD, is in a very similar situation as Dany and actually makes many of the mistakes Dany makes. He ignores the social and cultural differences between the Wildlings and everyone else (similar to how Dany ignores the differences between slaves and freedmen). 

He ignores the council of his stewards and shuts them down even though he knows they resent him for it, and he makes no attempt to cull this.

This is similar to how Dany shut down Barristan for a brief moment because she didn't want to hear him speaking good about Ned Stark... you know, the guy who led a rebellion that slaughtered her immediate family and forced her and her brother to live in complete fear for her entire life, in abject poverty and constantly moving from one place to another in order to survive?

They both however, do what they do out of noble reasons. Dany wants to give the slaves a chance at freedom and to give them an equal opportunity to earn a living by using their skills to carve themselves a position in society and break the social divisions that bind them.

Jon wants to save the Wildlings from The Others because he considers them, above everything else, men and his duty is to guard men from The Others. He doesn't want to sentence thousands of men, women and children to die a horrible death.

And yet, the criticisms of Jon's actions never go so far as they do for Dany, even though their story arcs in ADWD are almost the same. Sitting around solving political problems and turmols after a difficult struggle.

Though I have taken this from online, I think it speaks truth about the criticism of Dany. In many ways, I feel that fans of the books and the shows want to dislike her because of the power she has and the "birth right" (depending on opinion)  that she bears. 

Additionally - correct me if I'm wrong - it can be said for some fans that Jon Snow is favoured because of his status as a "bastard", as an underdog in the world of game of thrones. For me, Jon's life is pretty comfortable compared to that of many who live in such a world and he definitely shouldn't be seen as an underdog. Sure, he's had his struggles and battles but so has every character, so why be so supportive of him, especially when his bravery, triumphs and victories can be matched by other characters. 

In reponse to you saying that Dany is the one we are meant to be rooting for or a Mary Sue as you say, I disagree. I believe that Jon is the one we're "meant" to be rooting for. I think his flaws are not as obvious if apparent, at all, compared to Dany's and are certainly not discussed as widely. Jon is a poster boy (or Marty Stu, which ever you prefer), he always tries his best, always succeeds and has climbed the "ladder"; he's brave, honourable and doesn't like killing but "has to" for (what he thinks) is for the good of the people or because it's the right thing to do. Dany, pretty much mimics this throughout the series. So, why is it that Jon is given a free pass when it comes to his actions? 

At the end of it all, they are both strong characters and I suppose my main issue here is that I don't see why fans of the series can criticise Dany for the mistakes that she has made, when another one of the fans favourites carries out similar sorts of actions which result in similar sorts of consequences. 

I think the reason people dislike Dany is far simpler than any of that - it's because she has dragons and they are an unfair, unearned advantage that no other character has the opportunity to possess.

But, Dany is not a Mary Sue - she is a very well written character.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:40 PM, madscientist596 said:

We get the seeds of a possibly Varys Betryal.  (Why because why not, his conversation with the red woman + confrontation early in the season make me think he's gonna sell out the mother of dragons, stormborn, breaker of chains, Queen of the Rhoynar, Geats and Swedes.Probably as she has too many titles, and probably as he is not 100% on team Dany in the books.

So, who would Varys back, if not Dany (in your predictions)?

4 hours ago, Ben Chambers said:

Though I have taken this from online, I think it speaks truth about the criticism of Dany. In many ways, I feel that fans of the books and the shows want to dislike her because of the power she has and the "birth right" (depending on opinion)  that she bears. 

Speaking only for myself, I bear Dany no ill will about her birthright.  I do get downright testy with her needing to repeat all her 52 titles, numerous times a day.  It gets old, we didn't forget them, and it reveals an insecurity on her part that is a bit unnerving. If she has to keep repeating her birthright, we get to ask -- why?

3 hours ago, Ben Chambers said:

I can understand that side but I think Dany is pulled up on her mistakes. Her council often make her aware of the wrong decisions she has made, decisions that other characters (particularly Jon Snow) make too. I found this and it explains my point of view perfectly - 

Jon, in ADWD, is in a very similar situation as Dany and actually makes many of the mistakes Dany makes. He ignores the social and cultural differences between the Wildlings and everyone else (similar to how Dany ignores the differences between slaves and freedmen). 

He ignores the council of his stewards and shuts them down even though he knows they resent him for it, and he makes no attempt to cull this.

This is similar to how Dany shut down Barristan for a brief moment because she didn't want to hear him speaking good about Ned Stark... you know, the guy who led a rebellion that slaughtered her immediate family and forced her and her brother to live in complete fear for her entire life, in abject poverty and constantly moving from one place to another in order to survive?

They both however, do what they do out of noble reasons. Dany wants to give the slaves a chance at freedom and to give them an equal opportunity to earn a living by using their skills to carve themselves a position in society and break the social divisions that bind them.

Jon wants to save the Wildlings from The Others because he considers them, above everything else, men and his duty is to guard men from The Others. He doesn't want to sentence thousands of men, women and children to die a horrible death.

And yet, the criticisms of Jon's actions never go so far as they do for Dany, even though their story arcs in ADWD are almost the same. Sitting around solving political problems and turmols after a difficult struggle.

Additionally - correct me if I'm wrong - it can be said for some fans that Jon Snow is favoured because of his status as a "bastard", as an underdog in the world of game of thrones. For me, Jon's life is pretty comfortable compared to that of many who live in such a world and he definitely shouldn't be seen as an underdog. Sure, he's had his struggles and battles but so has every character, so why be so supportive of him, especially when his bravery, triumphs and victories can be matched by other characters. 

In reponse to you saying that Dany is the one we are meant to be rooting for or a Mary Sue as you say, I disagree. I believe that Jon is the one we're "meant" to be rooting for. I think his flaws are not as obvious if apparent, at all, compared to Dany's and are certainly not discussed as widely. Jon is a poster boy (or Marty Stu, which ever you prefer), he always tries his best, always succeeds and has climbed the "ladder"; he's brave, honourable and doesn't like killing but "has to" for (what he thinks) is for the good of the people or because it's the right thing to do. Dany, pretty much mimics this throughout the series. So, why is it that Jon is given a free pass when it comes to his actions? 

At the end of it all, they are both strong characters and I suppose my main issue here is that I don't see why fans of the series can criticise Dany for the mistakes that she has made, when another one of the fans favourites carries out similar sorts of actions which result in similar sorts of consequences. 

I have seen Jon's mistakes called out left and right, don't know how you haven't.  I don't know about other people, but I like Jon because of his personal characteristics, not because he's a bastard.  Incidentally, you say his life was pretty comfortable - why, because he grew up in a castle?  He grew up with a woman who HATED him, with a family where he was never equal with his siblings because he was a bastard.  You don't seem to realize just how bad it was to live with that stigma (we live in a time when it doesn't matter anymore).  It was a great shame, especially among nobles.  And then he goes to join the NW in the frozen tundra of the north.  Yeah, real comfortable.

Anyway, I used to like Dany, when she was young, sweet and caring.  Her desire to free the slaves was very noble, but since then she has become more and more consumed with her supposed  "right" to rule the 7 Kingdoms.  She enjoys burning her enemies.  She has become arrogant, power hungry and rash.  That's why people hate her.  She is no longer noble, but she hasn't lost her tender heart altogether or Tyrion and Jon wouldn't be able to talk her out of burning cities of innocent people over and over.  So I think she will come back around.  Perhaps it will be Jorah who is able to finally show her how she has changed.

Jon, on the other hand, has remained pretty true to his character from the beginning.  He has overcome a lot of his failings and is better at learning from his mistakes than Dany is.  I am sure he would have derived great satisfaction from killing those who hurt his family (Ramsey, Joffrey, Theon), but aside from that he didn't even enjoy killing the NW men who betrayed him.  He wanted to be a leader among the NW.  He is humble, for the most part and doesn't want to be a king.  He just wants to protect his people. 

If fans are harder on Dany, I think it is because it is harder to forgive an arrogant person for their mistakes.

14 hours ago, Fexyr said:

Will Jon go back to Winterfell? I'm craving some Jon x Arya reunion :(.

Yeah, I might have to break my husband's big flat screen tv if I don't get to see Jon scoop her up in a big bear hug, just like he did when he said goodbye to her.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:14 PM, Iron Mother said:

Isn't this a bit much tho?  If that's how the show is doing it now, Tyrion will be riding a dragon soon because they didn't eat him in the crypt back in Mereen.  Isn't it kind of cheesy to have a beast that "senses" DNA?

Ep name "Blood of the Dragon" right?  It will probably be heavy on Jon's revelation.

There needs to be a separate prediction thread on how/when R+L is uncoiled.  I feel like newer viewers would be very confused about many things in this show but especially that.  There has not been enough callbacks for any of it.

People keep saying that Jon will bond with one of the dragons because he is a Targ, but even when dragon eggs were put in Targ children's beds with them, they often didn't bond with them, so that's a kind of big assumption.  Of course, non of that is explained in the show, so I guess not.

Agree about R&L=J thread.  Wasn't there one in the E03 forum?

On 8/9/2017 at 8:36 AM, mattnj81 said:

Tyrion and Varys fail at trying to control Dany's newfound lust for Fire & Blood. She is in the middle of an epic Donald Trump level rant about "bend the knee" and "burn them all" when Jorah walks in, and gives her a look of "what have you become"? She takes a look at herself and realizes she's becoming like the Mad King makes a conscious choice not to go down that path.

I agree and suggested in an earlier post that it will take Jorah to make Dany realize how much she has changed.  He was her first Westerosi supporter, and the one who told her she had a gentle heart.  That's what I'm hoping for anyway!

On 8/9/2017 at 6:36 PM, Ben Chambers said:

Not  a prediction, but want to get people's thoughts.... I really don't see Dany as a villain. I'm a big fan of hers but wonder why people see her this way? Personally, Jon is too good. Don't get me wrong, he's brave, honourable etc. But his flaws aren't apparent or apparent enough... he seems too obvious and too good to be the "prince who was promised". Dany on the other hand has her flaws and I suppose "mad" moments but it makes her more believable to me. 

I think Jon's flaws have been quite obvious.  When he first joined the NW, he was pretty egotistical about his fighting abilities to the point of arguing about being made a steward.  He lacked the ability to see the larger picture in the beginning.  He abandoned the NW to avenge Robb and was only stopped because his friends went after him.  He has a quick temper.  He totally lost it and mucked up the battle strategy at BotB after Ramsey killed Rickon.  He didn't tell Sansa a couple of important things before meeting with the lords of the north which resulted in her arguing with him in front of them and both of them looking bad.  He's had plenty of flaws.  But he learns from his mistakes and gradually overcomes them. 

Dany started out as a victim, a sweet, innocent girl.  She grows in strength and confidence, but then starts to become too confident. She uses fear of her dragons to get her way, flies off the handle and wants to burn cities and is now arrogant and obsessed with her supposed right to the IT.  She is not a villain, but she could become one if she doesn't get an attitude adjustment and reevaluate her priorities - like saving the people of Westeros from the WW before she makes a claim for the IT.

Archived