Theory about resolution of "Beast of Stone" Prophecy

a1andrew

1 hour ago, Wolf of The Wall said:

I never suggested that. That is not my theory. I said stone beast that takes wing from smoking tower is believed to be what could have been if Edric Storm was sacrificed. Emphasis on believed to be. I simply pointed out there is an  already estabilished and much simple answer to OP's question about stone beast.

And inheritance was a plot point in a specific issue. And people who realted to that issue were from same ethnicity. There is no precedence of marriage between Dothraki and Valyrians i believe until Dany marries Drogo. I don't think any Valyrian was deigned to marry a horselord. So you can not use real world inheritance rules in a fantasy series of magical races.

Also sun tan and natural skin colour is not same. And tall lord in the prophecy is specifically said to have copper skin. And does fAegon even have tan skin. In any case you are twisting words to fit in your interpretation.

That's not "established" by an means.  I definitely don't think its simpler, either, it seems a more strained analogy and duplicative with the earlier Stannis reference.  To each their own, though.

16 minutes ago, a1andrew said:

I thought that was less difficult, I just assumed that was Daario.  I only occasionally check the forums, but I thought others had speculated it was Daario too, although maybe there's a reason it couldn't be that I haven't seen. 

Three big clues for me 1. All have to be romantically involved with Dany, and Daario clearly was 2. On a ship, and Daario's being held captive on a ship and 3. Dead, and Daario is being held captive by a hostile power who has already executed captives, plus his time seems to be coming to a close.  

And don't forget the bright eyes. 

Daario is my guess too. But that spoiler chapter really puts Aeron front and center.

After reading many of the posts, it occurs to me that some people are reading the prophecy way too literally. First, let me write the line of prophecy:

"From a smoking tower a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire..." ACOK - Chapter 48

Taking this baby apart piece by piece, let's start with great. Great is used here as an adjective. Great, as an adjective has sixteen meanings! Since not all of them are applicable (I'm fairly certain this isn't referring to someone's great grandparent or similar relative), I'll just discuss the two most likely. The first refers to a large size, which I'm sure the beast was in the vision. However, since the beast is in actuality a person, the great size is most probably a stand-in for great power or intensity.

Next we have stone used as an adjective. Stone as an adjective only has three definitions with two of them literally meaning stone in some fashion. However, it is the third meaning of stone as an adjective that could apply to a human being. It is how stone is used in the phrase, "a stone killer". In this instance stone means unbending, unyielding, merciless.

The noun beast generally means some living creature other than human. However, in this story we will take it to represent a sigil.

Thus, a great, stone beast could be interpreted to mean a powerful, merciless kraken. As I'm sure many are saying, you could fit all sorts of people in this prophecy using this method and I would agree. However, it is the combination of "took wing" and scene from the Aeron chapter that was read that clinches Euron as the Stone Beast for me. I will now go behind spoiler blocks.

Spoiler

It is true that take wing (as well as its tense variations takes wing and took wing) is an English language idiom for fly, however it also means to depart hastily. I think the choice of using took wing rather than took flight is deliberate here since taking wing merely means leaving hastily while taking flight implies running away. In other words, by taking wing the stone beast could be rushing towards something. Now let's look at elements of a scene from the released Aeron chapter:

* They must rush because Euron is impatient.

* Euron is wearing Valyrian steel armor. (This one is just in case you miss the other clues.)

* As they are rushing away from the port, Aeron sees a tower burning above them.

Thus, Euron has now met all the attributes symbolically shown in the vision.

But what about the shadow fire? We have been told that it takes fire to defeat the Others and their wights. It can be regular fire for the wights, but it needs to be the frozen fire of dragonglass or, perhaps, dragon fire to defeat the Others. What Euron breathing shadow fire means is that he doesn't have what it takes to defeat the Others.

21 minutes ago, bent branch said:

After reading many of the posts, it occurs to me that some people are reading the prophecy way too literally. First, let me write the line of prophecy:

"From a smoking tower a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire..." ACOK - Chapter 48

Taking this baby apart piece by piece, let's start with great. Great is used here as an adjective. Great, as an adjective has sixteen meanings! Since not all of them are applicable (I'm fairly certain this isn't referring to someone's great grandparent or similar relative), I'll just discuss the two most likely. The first refers to a large size, which I'm sure the beast was in the vision. However, since the beast is in actuality a person, the great size is most probably a stand-in for great power or intensity.

Next we have stone used as an adjective. Stone as an adjective only has three definitions with two of them literally meaning stone in some fashion. However, it is the third meaning of stone as an adjective that could apply to a human being. It is how stone is used in the phrase, "a stone killer". In this instance stone means unbending, unyielding, merciless.

The noun beast generally means some living creature other than human. However, in this story we will take it to represent a sigil.

Thus, a great, stone beast could be interpreted to mean a powerful, merciless kraken. As I'm sure many are saying, you could fit all sorts of people in this prophecy using this method and I would agree. However, it is the combination of "took wing" and scene from the Aeron chapter that was read that clinches Euron as the Stone Beast for me. I will now go behind spoiler blocks.

Hide contents

It is true that take wing (as well as its tense variations takes wing and took wing) is an English language idiom for fly, however it also means to depart hastily. I think the choice of using took wing rather than took flight is deliberate here since taking wing merely means leaving hastily while taking flight implies running away. In other words, by taking wing the stone beast could be rushing towards something. Now let's look at elements of a scene from the released Aeron chapter:

* Euron is wearing Valyrian steel armor. (This one is just in case you miss the other clues.)

* As they are rushing away from the port, Aeron sees a tower burning above them.

But what about the shadow fire? We have been told that it takes fire to defeat the Others and their wights. It can be regular fire for the wights, but it needs to be the frozen fire of dragonglass or, perhaps, dragon fire to defeat the Others. What Euron breathing shadow fire means is that he doesn't have what it takes to defeat the Others.

Nice analysis. I would submit that take wing could also mean to emerge or take off, get underway. 

Yeah, depending how Euron's dealings with Redwyne turn out the coming battle could the event where he takes wing. The man's moniker is Crow's Eye, after all, and that goes back a long time. His personal sigil also depicts a red eye with a black pupil beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows.

The idea that Euron could find some morons believing he could save them from the Others/winter/other enemies if he shows them his smiling eye and throws a lot of the wealth at them he is going to take on the Arbor is not that unlikely. Especially if the gold of Casterly Rock ends up coming his way, too.

I mean, depending what those lies are - and assuming they have to do more with the savior department prophecy is concerned about rather than the 'the rightful claim' department - we can safely say that both Aegon and Euron would have to publicly declare that they are going to save their people, etc. Stannis has already done this, and chances are that Aegon will follow suit once he learns what's going on in the North. Rhaegar's son will try to do what Rhaegar thought Rhaegar's son was supposed to do - never mind whether he is truly Rhaegar's son or not.

The shadow fire as some sort of fake fire - just as Stannis has a fake burning sword - that won't help defeat the Others also make sense.

Great as in Garin the Great, Grazda the Great and Qarlon the Great. Greats who fought the dragon lords and got melted. I say melted rather than burned because there does seem to be an awful lot of stone in their stories.

And Great like Cthulhu the Great, the octopus dragon hybrid, or sphinx. AKA Cthulhu the Dread, or Dead. Mount to dread, dead face.

Shit, if we are going to consider the possibility that Euron might somehow unlock his potential as a greenseer, opening his third eye if he has not yet done so already, then this might also be him taking wing.

And the tower might be the metaphorical tower he has been speaking about already:

Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower? No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap.

Still, we have to wait and see.

That part of the visions is all about false identities. 

1. Stannis is not Azor Ahai.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai.
  2. Aegon is not a true dragon.  Daenerys is the real deal, the dragon.

The third is unclear.  Dany's story arc is still in the middle stages.  While I do not believe a major character will be introduced in WoW, a known character might take on a new identity. 

Slaying the lie is not necessarily something that Dany will actively do.  It may be revelations that will happen simply because of her arrival in Westeros.  What do Stannis and Aegon have in common?  They are both claiming the throne.  So it is certain that the stone beast will also make a claim for the throne.  As I said, we don't have enough information to be certain who the stone beast is but I believe it is Jon.  There is good reason based on the new theory that Jon himself will come back as a wight that he is the stone beast.  Bran's vision depicted Gregor as a stone giant.  Gregor quite possibly died and Quyburn brought him back as a wight.  So "stone" can represent wights.  Black fire is false fire.  Breathing false fire is what a false dragon will do.  Melisandre may try to prop up Jon as a dragon.  We have to separate book and show here.  Yeah, Jon is a dragon on the show but that doesn't mean he is in the books.  It's just fan service from HBO made Jon a secret targ.

2 hours ago, bent branch said:

Reveal hidden contents

The problem is, this is a vision, not written prophecy.  Visually, stone can simply mean the color of stone.  After all, how can you tell that something is made of stone from a distance.  Dead flesh can turn grey.  An animated dead flesh is a wight.

52 minutes ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

The third is unclear.  Dany's story arc is still in the middle stages.  While I do not believe a major character will be introduced in WoW, a known character might take on a new identity. 

I'd say the savior part is the important part in both cases here. And thus very likely in the third, too.

Even if Aegon was not Rhaegar's son he would still, most likely, be some Blackfyre descendant and thus also a dragon in some sense.

And the point of the cloth dragon as a mummer's dragon doesn't emphasize the fact that he is fake but merely that he is the puppet of other people, i.e. Varys and Illyrio.

The whole thing of the mummer's dragon being the monster/villain a hero has to fight in a story indicates that the Second Dance thing we are getting for Dany and Aegon is going to be a distraction, a diversion from the real thing the grown-ups should actually deal with.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:59 AM, a1andrew said:
I came up with this theory from the House of the Undying prophecies in book two the other day.  I did my homework and everything seems to check out.  From all I can tell, there are a lot of theories floating around about who the Beast of Stone from the House of Undying prophecy is, but I haven't encountered any that come to my conclusion (apologies if there is and I've somehow missed it, I've checked a ton, but its probably impossible to check everything).

<snipped for space reasons

First of all, welcome to Forumos. Second, I like this. Wasn't sure at first, but the more I read the more I saw that it is definitely possible. And that's even while disagreeing with the very vocal half (it's been checked, the issue is split pretty evenly) that believe Aegon is a Blackfyre. Of course we have to wait and see what everything turns out to be, but I think you've laid out a decent case for those of us who don't have one idea locked in already for the stone beast.

Another point that you might consider (apologies if you included it and I missed it somehow) is that the word beast could be used deliberately to point out that Ser Robert Strong is no longer human, despite looking human in a suit of armor.

It would be interesting if Ser Robert gets greyscale and the stone beast/stone armor gets even more literal that way. Or if Cersei herself gets greyscale (goodbye beauty!). I've wondered if Arianne joins team Aegon and learns of Jon Con's infection, I could see her finding a way to make sure Cersei is exposed. This would only be if Arianne is the YMBQ, of course. For those who think Cersei and Jaime are the Mad King's children, it would add in the wings part. After all she's the one who made the tower smoke. She's the regent for her children so far. She's really the one Dany needs to take down, not Tommen or Myrcella. Now that I've typed this out, I think you should maybe consider switching the focus from House Lannister in general to Cersei specifically.

Stone is greyscale. Greyscale is stone. Grey is greyscale. Grey is stone. It is really not that hard. A great stone beast. Garin the Great, bloke apparently responsible for greyscale. He who appeared like a great saviour at first but oops ended up being a massive mistake and getting hundreds of thousands (millions?) killed.

You don't need to go turning the stone beast into an Other or wight to explain the stone. GRRM gives you that one.

3 hours ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

The problem is, this is a vision, not written prophecy.  Visually, stone can simply mean the color of stone.  After all, how can you tell that something is made of stone from a distance.  Dead flesh can turn grey.  An animated dead flesh is a wight.

I think this is a good point. A vision can still be misleading, but it is so in a different way. I don't see this as a play on words.

Dany sees a blue eyed guy holding a flaming sword without a shadow. That is what she sees. We pretty much know this is Stannis and the shadowless aspect is Mel having siphoned off his shadow to kill people. If we didn't know about the last part of it, it wouldn't make as much sense.

Then she sees a cloth dragon amongst a cheering crowd. We (or at least I) think this alludes to Aegon. He isn't a real dragon, he is a false Targaryen, but the people will love him. If we didn't think he was false, the cloth aspect wouldn't make sense.

I believe with the "From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire" vision, Dany literally saw that. It can mean or represent something different in the same way the first first two did, but I don't believe it is such a stretched play on words. If this does represent a person, I think that person will have undergone a significant transformation through some event we have not yet witnessed. Euron is still a strong possibility, but I don't like stretching the words that much. I believe that when we understand it it will be a lot clearer just as the other two are.

11 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Nice analysis. I would submit that take wing could also mean to emerge or take off, get underway. 

Thank you. Actually, that is another idiom of the phrase take wing. It could work.

10 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

@bent branch, that was a great post! :thumbsup:

:

Thanks! :D

9 hours ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

Slaying the lie is not necessarily something that Dany will actively do.  It may be revelations that will happen simply because of her arrival in Westeros.  What do Stannis and Aegon have in common?  They are both claiming the throne.  So it is certain that the stone beast will also make a claim for the throne.  As I said, we don't have enough information to be certain who the stone beast is but I believe it is Jon.  There is good reason based on the new theory that Jon himself will come back as a wight that he is the stone beast.  Bran's vision depicted Gregor as a stone giant.  Gregor quite possibly died and Quyburn brought him back as a wight.  So "stone" can represent wights.  Black fire is false fire.  Breathing false fire is what a false dragon will do.  Melisandre may try to prop up Jon as a dragon.  We have to separate book and show here.  Yeah, Jon is a dragon on the show but that doesn't mean he is in the books.  It's just fan service from HBO made Jon a secret targ.

What do Stannis and Aegon have in common? Both have had the claim made about them that they are the PTWP. Seriously, why do so many people ignore that? Here is a quote that shows Rhaegar was making this claim (AFFC - Chapter 35):

On Bravos, it had seemed possible that Aemon might recover. Xhondo's talk of dragons has almost seemed to restore the old man to himself. That night he ate every bite Sam put before him. "No one ever looked for a girl," he said. "It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought ... the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King's Landing on the night Aegon was conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet. What fools we were, who had thought ourselves to wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born admidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it." Just talking of her seemed to make him stronger. "I must go to her. I must. Would that I was even ten years younger."

And here is a quote that shows Dany knows about this claim (ACOK - Chapter 48):

Viserys, was her first thought the next time she paused, but a second glance told her otherwise. The man had her brother's hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. "Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads." He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.

So, Dany will have to forget that the only two pieces of information that she received from the HotU about Aegon was that he was the PTWP and one head of the dragon.

8 hours ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

No. This is not a vision, it is a prophecy written by GRRM to describe a vision seen by Dany in the HotU. GRRM has already told us what was in the vision. You can spend your time thinking about all the different things that the stone could be, but GRRM has already told us it is stone. Stone comes in many colors, it is you who is saying the stone is grey. For all you know the stone is white or black or green. GRRM has given us all the elements of the vision and told us what they are since we cannot look at them ourselves.

5 hours ago, Makk said:

I think this is a good point. A vision can still be misleading, but it is so in a different way. I don't see this as a play on words.

Dany sees a blue eyed guy holding a flaming sword without a shadow. That is what she sees. We pretty much know this is Stannis and the shadowless aspect is Mel having siphoned off his shadow to kill people. If we didn't know about the last part of it, it wouldn't make as much sense.

Then she sees a cloth dragon amongst a cheering crowd. We (or at least I) think this alludes to Aegon. He isn't a real dragon, he is a false Targaryen, but the people will love him. If we didn't think he was false, the cloth aspect wouldn't make sense.

I believe with the "From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire" vision, Dany literally saw that. It can mean or represent something different in the same way the first first two did, but I don't believe it is such a stretched play on words. If this does represent a person, I think that person will have undergone a significant transformation through some event we have not yet witnessed. Euron is still a strong possibility, but I don't like stretching the words that much. I believe that when we understand it it will be a lot clearer just as the other two are.

It is a terrible point. Making assumptions about a "vision" that is written in a book is silly. As I pointed out, Ponzi Scheme is making the assumption that the stone is grey and making guesses based on that. Since we can't see what the beast looks like, we have to accept GRRM's description of it. Otherwise, we are just making shit up.

As far as Aegon's "vision", only about half of the people think it means Aegon is fake. We have the scene from the HotU that strongly suggests he is NOT fake, but for some reason, people keep ignoring it.

1 hour ago, bent branch said:

What do Stannis and Aegon have in common? Both have had the claim made about them that they are the PTWP. Seriously, why do so many people ignore that? Here is a quote that shows Rhaegar was making this claim (AFFC - Chapter 35):

I don't pay much attention to that (for the moment) because Aegon himself hasn't made the claim, very few people (if any) believe he is actually TPTWP, and that identity hasn't yet played a role in any of his decisions. Stannis has done a rebirth ritual, all of his followers would have heard about him supposedly being Azor Ahai, Melisandre announced him as AA to the wildlings before Mance's burning, and he himself thinks that he's AAR and that he was born to fight the Others - so it's clearly a big part of his identity and public image, possibly even more so than kingship. Aegon, meanwhile, has been raised for purely political/familial purposes that hinge on him being a supposed Targaryen, and his return to westeros and war against the Iron Throne is all based on that Targaryen heritage too. If he does end up believing or at least claiming to be TPTWP to gather support I'll probably change my mind, but I'm not certain that will ever happen (it's hard enough getting watchmen to take the Others seriously, let alone people that far south).

38 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

I don't pay much attention to that (for the moment) because Aegon himself hasn't made the claim, very few people (if any) believe he is actually TPTWP, and that identity hasn't yet played a role in any of his decisions. Stannis has done a rebirth ritual, all of his followers would have heard about him supposedly being Azor Ahai, Melisandre announced him as AA to the wildlings before Mance's burning, and he himself thinks that he's AAR and that he was born to fight the Others - so it's clearly a big part of his identity and public image, possibly even more so than kingship. Aegon, meanwhile, has been raised for purely political/familial purposes that hinge on him being a supposed Targaryen, and his return to westeros and war against the Iron Throne is all based on that Targaryen heritage too. If he does end up believing or at least claiming to be TPTWP to gather support I'll probably change my mind, but I'm not certain that will ever happen (it's hard enough getting watchmen to take the Others seriously, let alone people that far south).

All right. I don't think it matters at all whether Aegon ever claims he is the PTWP or not, but if you think that is an important part of the process okay. What then do you think was significance of the vision in the HotU of Rhaegar, Elia and Aegon?

1 hour ago, The Drunkard said:

The prophecy and Aegon's status as the promised prince will become important. George continues to remind us that Rhaegar believed that Aegon was the promised prince throughout AFfC. He has Aemon talk about it and then has Sam repeating it to Marwyn, stressing that Aemon believed Daenerys was the promised princess, not Rhaegar's son who was dashed against the wall.

But if Aegon is still alive he might still be the promised prince. Especially since his rise in Westeros is going to coincide with the arrival of winter and the first major attacks of the Others. The chances that Aegon is not going to be informed by people what's going on beyond the Wall is very unlikely.

At this point it already begins to stretch credibility that nobody at the Wall takes any effort to inform the people down in the South (including the great lords of the North) what's going on up there. But in the wake of the battles at Winterfell Stannis/Jon should finally get around to at least tell their own people - the Northmen - what's at stake here and what they have to prepare for. And if the people in the North actually act as if the Others are a real thing the news about that will inevitably travel down south, just as the news about Sweden preparing for an invasion of ice giants would also travel down to southern Europe (we would still ridicule those Swedes for that, of course, but we would learn what they are doing). But in addition the good guys in the North should also do anything in their power to convince the people down south that they are in danger, too, and in desperate need of help and support. Especially in the food department.

If Aegon learns about all that - and there is no reason not to believe that Jon will jump on the chance to try to convince a King on the Iron Throne he basically has no issues with of what's going on up there - people around him might recall what Rhaegar believed his destiny was and he might style and present himself as this promised prince the Targaryens have been expecting (and trying to create) for so long. Creating him was the reason why Aerys II was married to his sister Rhaella, after all. And there is a person around who might know everything about that - Ser Bonifer Hasty, the tourney knight who was once in love with Princess Rhaella. He and his Holy Hundred will join the Warrior's Sons and will also play a crucial role in pushing the High Septon to declare for Aegon. And then Hasty might tell Aegon about his royal grandmother and the prophecy the Ghost made to Jaehaerys II.

People usually forget that. As of yet, the cloth dragon vision hasn't come true yet. Aegon has yet to be cheered by a sizable crowd. In fact, he still has declare himself and his intention to take the Iron Throne. And as things stand he is not going to crown himself in some sort of ridiculous battle coronation. He'll remain a humble prince until they take the capital and the Iron Throne. Then he can be crowned and anointed King Aegon VI Targaryen by the High Septon. Then he will also be cheered by the crowds. That's his grand moment.

1 hour ago, LordImp said:

Leaning towards Euron and the smoking tower being Hightower. 

Nooooo. Come on, first storm and the last storm. Storm's End. Euron the godless man killing and supplanting all gods, Durran Godsgrief, defier of gods, particularly the sea and wind god. Sea and wind god, who particularly holds two gods, one for the sea and one for the wind -> storms?

Hightower is likely a prototype, a test run. Like Cragorn, like Falia. And probably there will be more. He's not blowing that horn himself until he's as sure as he can be of what it does, or is otherwise out of time. And a lot of water has to pass under the bridge before we get to the stone beast. The mummer's dragon has to rise and Dany has to do away with him first.

Archived