Westeros Football League A

Whiskeyjack

46 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Pretty sure Conner has now been traded in 3 of my 4 leagues.

He's not going anywhere in Dynasty or Keeper.  Three more years at $4 in the former and using my 12th to keep him in the latter.

When this nonsense went down last year, I figured Pittsburgh might just give up and spend the $$$ LeVeon wants on a super TE or something.

7 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

He's not going anywhere in Dynasty or Keeper.  Three more years at $4 in the former and using my 12th to keep him in the latter.

When this nonsense went down last year, I figured Pittsburgh might just give up and spend the $$$ LeVeon wants on a super TE or something.

Looking more and more to me like we either see Bell on Saturday or we don't see him until week 10.  And right now I'd bet on week 10.  Maybe its bluffing, but just based on the agent interview, doesn't seem like it.

I'm very pro-player in these things, almost always taking their side.  And even I think Bell is making a mistake here.  He wants the long-term guaranteed money, but if he holds out then he is giving up a large portion of the guaranteed money he has right in front of him, which is significant. 

12 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Looking more and more to me like we either see Bell on Saturday or we don't see him until week 10.  And right now I'd bet on week 10.  Maybe its bluffing, but just based on the agent interview, doesn't seem like it.

I'm very pro-player in these things, almost always taking their side.  And even I think Bell is making a mistake here.  He wants the long-term guaranteed money, but if he holds out then he is giving up a large portion of the guaranteed money he has right in front of him, which is significant. 

He's also avoiding injury risk and excessive wear/tear.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He's also avoiding injury risk and excessive wear/tear.

Yeah, I get that.  But here's my take.  He's made what, $15 mil in his career?  And this year, he could double that with another $14.5 mil, which I think is the highest salary for a RB in the league.  So its not like he's being offered an insignificant amount.

The NFL is a tough game where anybody can be injured at any time.  So he chooses to sacrifice something like $7.25 million of his salary this year, in order to avoid injury and carries for half the season.  But the price he pays is also sacrificing half of that salary, which again is pretty high in relative terms.

And then the endgame will be that he still has to come back and play for the final 8 games + the playoffs.  So he could still get injured.  Yeah, the odds are lower, but its definitely not certain that he makes it out of the season healthy. 

So, in theory, you're comparing two possibilities.

1) Play the full season, earn $14.5 million.  Probably get 400 touches, and have a higher risk of injury, which jeopardizes the huge guarantee he's looking for next season.  If healthy, tries to get X guaranteed in free agency.

2) Play half the season, earn $7.25 million.  Probably get 200 touches, and have a lower risk of injury.....but the injury risk is still there.  If healthy, tries to get the same X guaranteed in free agency.

He's not increasing the amount he can get.  Just increasing the odds that he can survive until the end of the season to get it, to some extent.  But its still the NFL, so he can easily get hurt on one violent play - its not like wear and tear is the only way (or even the most common way?) to get injured in football.  And to me, giving up the $7.25 million that he has in hand, in exchange for lowering his risk of injury, is a questionable decision.

A factor that Bell's advisors also should consider is that the 2018 tax brackets are very favorable to high income earners.  The same may not be true come 2020 or 2021 when a reckoning is in the wind.  He might end up earning a larger salary down the road, but that money could come in a year when the tax rate eats a bigger chunk.

25 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

A factor that Bell's advisors also should consider is that the 2018 tax brackets are very favorable to high income earners.  The same may not be true come 2020 or 2021 when a reckoning is in the wind.  He might end up earning a larger salary down the road, but that money could come in a year when the tax rate eats a bigger chunk.

Taxes aren't going to be raised then, and it doesn't matter anyway since the deal will likely be front loaded.

2 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Taxes aren't going to be raised then, and it doesn't matter anyway since the deal will likely be front loaded.

We'll see.  I think 2020 is going to be the most fundamental shift in the US government since 1980.

First to go will be the traditions of the Senate - respecting the opinions of the minority party is so pre-McConnell.
Second up, moderates in dark blue states will fear being Crowley-ed or Capuano-ed.

19 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

We'll see.  I think 2020 is going to be the most fundamental shift in the US government since 1980.

First to go will be the traditions of the Senate - respecting the opinions of the minority party is so pre-McConnell.
Second up, moderates in dark blue states will fear being Crowley-ed or Capuano-ed.

I'm skeptical about the legislative filibuster being removed. Republicans will likely hold the Senate, and probably pick up a seat or two, so maybe they will ditch it if they get desperate, but it's a lot riskier than killing off the judicial filibuster. And looking at the map for 2020, there is one seat the Dems will lose (AL) and there are maybe 3-6 seats they can pick up. There's no guarantee that the Senate can be retaken, though you may be right to think the Democratic Caucus will be more liberal. 

3 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Yeah, I get that.  But here's my take.  He's made what, $15 mil in his career?  And this year, he could double that with another $14.5 mil, which I think is the highest salary for a RB in the league.  So its not like he's being offered an insignificant amount.

The NFL is a tough game where anybody can be injured at any time.  So he chooses to sacrifice something like $7.25 million of his salary this year, in order to avoid injury and carries for half the season.  But the price he pays is also sacrificing half of that salary, which again is pretty high in relative terms.

And then the endgame will be that he still has to come back and play for the final 8 games + the playoffs.  So he could still get injured.  Yeah, the odds are lower, but its definitely not certain that he makes it out of the season healthy. 

So, in theory, you're comparing two possibilities.

1) Play the full season, earn $14.5 million.  Probably get 400 touches, and have a higher risk of injury, which jeopardizes the huge guarantee he's looking for next season.  If healthy, tries to get X guaranteed in free agency.

2) Play half the season, earn $7.25 million.  Probably get 200 touches, and have a lower risk of injury.....but the injury risk is still there.  If healthy, tries to get the same X guaranteed in free agency.

He's not increasing the amount he can get.  Just increasing the odds that he can survive until the end of the season to get it, to some extent.  But its still the NFL, so he can easily get hurt on one violent play - its not like wear and tear is the only way (or even the most common way?) to get injured in football.  And to me, giving up the $7.25 million that he has in hand, in exchange for lowering his risk of injury, is a questionable decision.

You're free to have your wrong opinions.

The Steelers clearly intend to DeMarco Murray him. He should stay away.

18 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You're free to have your wrong opinions.

The Steelers clearly intend to DeMarco Murray him. He should stay away.

Agree 99+% with WJ.  The proper strategy IMO is to report Saturday, and spend up to $4M on the biggest, fattest one-year catastrophic injury policy he can buy, tied to his near 9-figure value in the free-agency market next season.  After taxes, he gets pretty much the same money he gets by reporting week 10, but this way he's protected financially from injury either in the first ten weeks or the final six.

Yeah, but he's not protected from wear and tear, which is the real issue with the DeMarco Murray thing. I respect WJ's opinion over pretty much anyone else's in this scenario, given his expertise, but I kind of agree with Jace on that one. If the Steelers give him 500 touches or whatever, doesn't that reduce what the open market will pay for him? Nobody wants Tennessee DeMarco Murray; the contract he claims to want this year will be completely out of reach if he gets 450 or 500 total touches.

If that's the case, then from Bell's perspective, if he shows up he's tanking his future value AND risking injury - and the Steelers are incentivized to give him those touches, because in this scenario, they don't have to deal with him post-Rule-of-370.

Trade between POTN and myself

I receive QB Mitch Trub

POTN receives WR Marvin Jones

I had depth at WR and wanted to improve my QB backups/QB2 (can never be too safe with Bortles).

We have a trade between Week and Myself.

I get: Q. Enunwa

Week gets: K. Rudolph

I need some stability in my WR and I think Enunwa is going to keep being a target monster week after week. I will take a 10 point on average WR. Rudolph was wasting away on my bench being Gronk. Not a terribly big loss for me there and a nice upgrade for Week.

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I love the idea of Rudolph wasting away on the bench being Gronk. 

Did he wear a Gronk costume?  Have a bus?  Were there edibles, or was the wasting part purely metaphorical?

hahahaha. didn't even see that. I would edit it and make it "behind" but that would take away from this fantastic post. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived