Why is Bronn so loyal to Jaime?

Corvinus85

14 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

For one thing, Jaime owes him a huge reward, which he won't receive if he flees or Jaime dies. 

For another, in the circumstances of that ambush, fleeing was not a terribly viable survival strategy. Brown is calculating and self interested, but he's also a seasoned warrior. He knows that people running are easier to kill than ones who fight. 

Indeed, he's pretty much Jamie's man and if he dies then any future reward goes up in smoke were as Cersei was paying him not to fight for Tyrion.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Against a dragon? He must really want that castle. If he switched sides, he could still get a castle (before shooting the dragon, at least)

Well, I think he just saw in jamie his only chance to get a reward. And if it's against a dragon, so it is against a dragon...

Changing sides? Not a real option just after shooting and wounding that dragon...
And, even if this battle was going to loose - up to now there was no reason for him to believe team Targaryan may win the war.

I doubt Bronn couldn't switch sides. Would Daenerys even recognize him as the man who shot Drogon? She was so far away, there's no way she could've made out any detail of the shooter (not to mention that her sight would've been focused on the Scorpion, not the man firing it).

As for why he did what he did, heat of the moment and instinct, basically. Had he had time to think it through, he might've decided to hell with it and run away. Although once they're safely away, he may start to rethink his loyalties.

He should be glad they didn't give him a castle, though. Jaime was right. What's the point of having a castle if Daenerys Targaryen comes along and take it away again? Better to not be paid immediately than to be paid and lose your payment almost immediately afterwards (Which is what happened with his bag of gold). The Lannisters no longer owe him that gold, because he lost it, but they still owe him a castle.

14 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

For one thing, Jaime owes him a huge reward, which he won't receive if he flees or Jaime dies. 

For another, in the circumstances of that ambush, fleeing was not a terribly viable survival strategy. Brown is calculating and self interested, but he's also a seasoned warrior. He knows that people running are easier to kill than ones who fight. 

I agree. Bronn follows the gold. So he knows to secure his gold by saving Jaime or everything his just did was for nothing. Bronn was going to grab his sack of gold but was not going to risk being burnt alive for it. Instead fight and still get almost roasted to save Jaime who can replace the gold and promise of a castle later.

12 hours ago, Lord Godric said:

Exactly. There's no in-universe solution. That whole scene was so artificially crafted just so that Jaime could survive. 

My suspicion is that Bronn is again a standin for Illyn Payne since mute characters aren't very engaging in regards to dialogue and the actor's health issues (he's still alive right?). 

2 hours ago, The Chequered Raven said:

I would not call this loyal!

He got money - and complained about money not beeing the promised castle.

Jamie promised the castel after the war.

He lost the gold, and so he saved the man who promised him the castle...

This /\

Hes a sell sword- it's all about the dough.

His saving of Jamie was simply because it was the heat of battle and that's what you do for your battlemates when they're being stupid. 

I have no idea what will happen in the next episode  but I hope they are both captured and Jamie is beheaded for his crippling of Brenn and murder of Ned Starks guards among other things.

Here's another way to look at it:

Shooting down Drogon was his best chance of getting out of there alive. He was right in the tick of it, with Dotraki all around him and he had Drogon flying over his area, both threats that could catch him really fast if he attempted to flee from the battle.

Couple that with the thought of getting payed big time, he actually made the smart move there and gave it his best shot.

Btw he went to the scorpion to also hide from the rider that was chasing him down.

Sellswords can also show acts of bravery.

He was Tyrion's champion at Vale's trial. He risked his life not knowing Tyrion well enough and if he speaks the truth about "paying the debts" thing. I'd say that was even more of a flip of coin than this. 

Now his choices were rather tightened.

What good is he without Jaime? He is his employer, not Lannister as a house, not anyone else. Nobody owes him anything. 

Cercei wouldn't care for him and Daenerys may roast him for shooting Drogon. Unless Tyrion somehow stops her. (would he?)

Also reaching the scorpion and shooting Drogon was his chance to survive, otherwise he'd be crispy by now, or slayed by the Dothrak who made a crazy move slicing Bronn's horse. Those captives in the trailer of next episode would've been crispies also.

He didn't say he wouldn't help tyrion because he didn't want to face the mountain it was because he was being offered a castle and highborn beauty for not helping tyrion. He actually said to tyrion that tyrion said if anyone offered bronn something to betray him he would double what they paid and bronn made it clear that if tyrion was gonna pay him double he would help him. Tyrion couldn't even get him a castle so  bronn didn't help.

During the battle with jaime I think he realized he had thrown his lot in with the lannisters. He is clearly not a dothraki or dragon which in that battle meant he was an enemy. My theory is that bron is gonna get jaime out of the river and give him to dany. He has had enough of the lannisters in my opinion

Bronn is one character I do love, but the fact of the matter is Bronn is loyal to gold and Jamie pays him the most.

Bronn is a simple character, hes not into playing games or being someone he isn't. He's sellsword in the most purest form. What he wants is basic, he wants money and whatever that can buy. A nice set of tits and plenty of ale etc. Bronn has no code and fights with no honour but dont let this fool you he is not barbaric, like the Dothraki, and he is not evil. His main priority is himself and everything in terms of looking after yours truely. Bronn is quite clearly an opportunist, this is shown in the show multiples times, never passing an opening to profit from. 

8 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

I doubt Bronn couldn't switch sides. Would Daenerys even recognize him as the man who shot Drogon? She was so far away, there's no way she could've made out any detail of the shooter (not to mention that her sight would've been focused on the Scorpion, not the man firing it).

I'm not even sure she'd care that he was the shooter if he bent the knee. Getting people on her side is what is important. 

Archived