Should Tyrion resign as Hand...nominate Ser Jorah his replacement...and go north with Jon?

Jcat

Supposition:

If Tyrion played no role in Daenerys' decision to attack the Lannister army. 

If Ser Jorah arrives at Dragonstone ready to serve his Khaleesi once more.

And if Tyrion (and by connection Varys) no longer enjoy the confidence of Queen Daenerys?  (And this eventuality seems to be hinted at in the episode 5 preview).

Do you think Tyrion should offer to resign his post as Hand?  Recommend Ser Jorah as his replacement?  Then go north with Jon to Eastwatch?

I think he should because apart from arranging the meeting with Jon Snow, my favorite GoT character seems to be just spinning his wheels and failing at everything this season.

If Ser Jorah returns it's going to complicate things as far as staff hierarchies are concerned, and he has more military experience than Tyrion.  I suppose she could name Ser Jorah commander of her army.  In any case, I am not sure Tyrion and Jorah will get along all that well.

Note: I have no foreknowledge from any improperly disclosed material.

I doubt Dany would allow him to leave voluntarily,  nor should she.  He knows too much about her plans and her strengths and weaknesses.  Still,  I do get the sense that Tyrion is becoming disillusioned with Dany and if that's the case,  its only going to get worse if she holds Jaime as a prisoner now.  

1 minute ago, ImNoSer said:

they did bring this up when davos and jon were asking messandai about her origins as a slave. and messandai says the queen would give her a ship and wish her well if she wanted to leave at any time.

Cant say dany would do the same thing for tyrion though.

Good point. She doesn't seem to fully trust Tyrion as it is. Letting him go, he would take away plenty of secrets and knowledge. Although I think Daenerys underestimates just how much Tyrion hates Cersei and wants Daenerys to take her off the throne. If he were to leave Daenerys, the last place he would go to would be Cersei.

I can't see him leaving her, though. The writers seem to have run out of great ideas for Tyrion's arc, so I expect more of the same from Tyrion until the end of the show. I really don't see any twists in store for him, unfortunately. Unless they go down the A+J=T route but I don't believe they will.

2 minutes ago, ImNoSer said:

they did bring this up when davos and jon were asking messandai about her origins as a slave. and messandai says the queen would give her a ship and wish her well if she wanted to leave at any time.

And that was a terrible scene,  because Jon and Davos should have immediately called her on that BS and pointed out that Dany is effectively holding them prisoner unless/until Jon bends the knee and submits the North to her rule.  

Tyrion should be removed as hand for sure. His net contribution has been negative. Whether Jorah is the one to replace him I am not sure, I don't think he is smarter than Tyrion while he has never had to deal with the kingslanding politics. I do think he is trustworthy having previously been an agent a varys until he fell in love with Danny. It is clear that his loyalty is based on loved not by money or castles meaning that he'll have Danny's best interest at heart.

5 minutes ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

Is there anyone else that could be Danny's hand?

Well apart from Jorah I don't think there is anyone else that could serve as the hand of the Queen... Missandei is Daenerys' most trusted advisor, her only friend...but she couldn't serve as a hand since she is a foreigner and I am not sure she is ready for decisions...

btw I think Missandei is the only access that QUEEN Daenerys have on Daenerys..

Just now, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

Is there anyone else that could be Danny's hand?

Jorah would be a poor choice, given his love for Daenerys. I think he would maybe be swayed to do things just to please her, as opposed to being the good of the realm. After all, it was love that made him end up doing stupid things when Lord of Bear Island. He would be a far better commander of her army. I think being her Hand, he'd be a bit too close for comfort. Would he really be willing to advise her on marriages when he is so in love with her himself?

Other than that, though, at the moment, she hasn't got too many options. Is Davos officially Jon's hand? I can't recall that being confirmed. If Jon was willing to let him, Davos would be a good choice for Daenerys. Davos also joked to Jon in that last episode about wanting to swap sides. Jon would likely be able to find a replacement for Davos, as he has many Northern Lords who would jump at the role. Only issues there are that would suggest favouritism from Jon amongst his bannermen. Also with Davos knowing the truth about what happened Jon at the Wall, Jon might want to keep him close.

17 minutes ago, bb1180 said:

And that was a terrible scene,  because Jon and Davos should have immediately called her on that BS and pointed out that Dany is effectively holding them prisoner unless/until Jon bends the knee and submits the North to her rule.  

How so? Daenerys may well allow her to leave. That's a separate issue from agreeing to let Jon and Davos go before reaching some sort of agreement.

1 minute ago, Anarres said:

How so? Daenerys may well allow her to leave. That's a separate issue from agreeing to let Jon and Davos go before reaching some sort of agreement.

Missandei's greater point was that all of the people following Dany were doing so because they chose her as their ruler,  not because she demanded it.  Yet that's exactly what Dany is doing to Jon.  

2 hours ago, bb1180 said:

Fantastic point!

With respect to a replacement for Tyrion as Hand, Davos would be a great choice.  A token of good-will and friendship from Jon if he were to bend the knee.  Ultimately I don't think Dany ever gets to sit on the Iron Throne, but if she does I could imagine Tyrion being Lord of Casterly Rock, Jon brooding around somewhere with the free folk, and Davos continuing to serve the realm as Hand.

No, Tyrion should not go north.  He is not a military commander, obviously.  If Ser Jorah returns, he should humbly state that Jorah is better skilled in the art of war, and remain her political adviser as Hand.  That is what he is skilled at, and he will do well to help her win the peace after the war, if they should prevail.

People need to know their limitations, and he is learning them.  He is intelligent...in the real world he would recognize those limits and make suggestions to fill that gap.  Unknown if the writers took that tact with this, we'll see. 

He wouldn't be an asset as an advisor in the North...Sam will be the one to fill that role.  If you think about it, Sam and Tyrion have a very large amount in common.  Their roles are established at this point, I don't see that changing but you never know with this show!

I agree with a few of the previous posters- Tyrion is still a good hand, just a poor military strategist. Jonah, Jon and Davis could all give her better advice on that front. But Tyrion was an e cement and dedicated hand in KL. 

To me, the big issue is whether Tyrion can regain her confidence. I am hoping that her questioning his loyalty was just venting in stressful times and that she will reconsider.

But yes, Davis wldalso make a great hand.

Why would she trust Tyrion?  What exactly has he done to earn her trust?  He has been bested twice now by the worst decision maker in the seven kingdoms, Cersei Lannister who has now made herself out to be all of the sudden an extememly cunning leader.  I mean let's face it.  Cersei has gone from fucking moonboy and Lancel and drinking herself stupid to wiping out all of her enemies in Kings Landing, and secured herself the iron throne (for now) and doing something her father couldn't even do.  Pay the Iron bank back.  Not to mention ally herself with Euron and eliminate Dorne and Highgarden as a threat.  

Tyrion is a strong advisor, just not when it comes to military tactics. But, let's be realistic, did anyone else see the taking of HughGardens?  That was a brilliant move by Jamie, not Cersai. Snow or Davos are the military minds. Jorah is somewhat of a military mind but a battle strategist is Davos. 

Archived