MEERA!

Iron Mother

"Meera Reed, thank you so much.  I almost don't have words for how happy I am to see Bran again or how grateful I am to you for bringing him home safely. House Reed has kept faith with House Stark for generations and once again we are deeply honored by your loyal service.  You have suffered greatly and sacrificed greatly.  I swear to you I will do all I can to honor your brother's memory and to make his, and your, sacrifice worthwhile.  You will always be welcomed with open arms at Winterfell.  Name your reward and you shall have it."

Sansa could say that in, what, 30 seconds?  Boom.  Meera gets her just due, Sansa sounds like a queen, Littlefinger gets to fawn over the latter.  Multiple storytelling objectives achieved efficiently AND in a gratifying way.

Tiny adjustment, massive improvement.

13 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

"Meera Reed, thank you so much.  I almost don't have words for how happy I am to see Bran again or how grateful I am to you for bringing him home safely. House Reed has kept faith with House Stark for generations and once again we are deeply honored by your loyal service.  You have suffered greatly and sacrificed greatly.  I swear to you I will do all I can to honor your brother's memory and to make his, and your, sacrifice worthwhile.  You will always be welcomed with open arms at Winterfell.  Name your reward and you shall have it."

Sansa could say that in, what, 30 seconds?  Boom.  Meera gets her just due, Sansa sounds like a queen, Littlefinger gets to fawn over the latter.  Multiple storytelling objectives achieved efficiently AND in a gratifying way.

Tiny adjustment, massive improvement.

The problem is that no one has any clue the ordeal she went through with Bran.

They don't even necessarily have to.  Meera showed up at the gates with Bran.  Meera brought Bran home.  Sansa was overjoyed to see Bran again.  That alone is worth a grateful speech from Sansa.  Even without the deets you could just dial my speech back a bit.

Plus Meera could always give the short version "BTW my brother died helping Bran" and unless Bran is a Total Dick now [okay admittedly this is possible] he'd corroborate

12 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Sansa could say that in, what, 30 seconds?  Boom.  Meera gets her just due, Sansa sounds like a queen,

Couldn't agree more. With good writing/dialogue it could've been a great, touching scene. The Lady of WF acting in the field of honor, gratitude, respect, etc.

One can dream :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I really don't care about Meera, but she does indeed deserve appreciation for dragging Bran to safety. Poor girl spent years freezing her ass in the north for a kid who ended up being a creepy psychic with the emotional level of a potato sack. 

I pretty much agree. I didn't feel bad for her. What else was he suppose to say? He thanked her. Move on Meera. Buh-bye.

14 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

The Starks should be treating Meera as like an honorary cousin at this point basically.

No one even spoke to her. 

But whoever said it was right no one knows the ordeal she went through (except Bran).

It's just sad, she is such a good person.  I hope they wrote something good for her in the end.

@~~*Meera*~~@
@~~*Meera*~~@
@~~*Meera*~~@

On 8/9/2017 at 8:43 AM, Iron Mother said:

when they killed Prince Doran, I wanted to choke Ellaria, the actor who plays Ellaria, the person who wrote the script, the producers and ANYONE who signed off on that plot point -- with a Dead Heart for G.O.T. - just D.O.A. for it.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who TOTALLY hated Ellaria.   I mean HATE, HATE, HATE! The only thing Cersei ever did that I think I liked was getting revenge on that bitch for killing Marcella (and incidentally the only time I felt sorry for Cersei was when Marcella died).

How's your nose?  OJ, man, that's gotta burn!

On 8/9/2017 at 11:19 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I don't understand why she didn't speak more of her father.  But she was a bad ass, she slings a hell of a rock and has some serious calf muscles.  

Instead of Cleganebowl, I want her giving Gendry a piggyback and together they take on the Mountain.  

1 hour ago, SansaJonRule said:

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who TOTALLY hated Ellaria.   I mean HATE, HATE, HATE! The only thing Cersei ever did that I think I liked was getting revenge on that bitch for killing Marcella (and incidentally the only time I felt sorry for Cersei was when Marcella died).

How's your nose?  OJ, man, that's gotta burn!

I almost don't want to write this......... but I was expecting so much from Dorne.  When the first scene of Doran came on the screen, and Ellaria came on I actually thought it was ARIANNE!  Her hair was different.  Then my jaw dropped through the whole scene.  Using Obara's entrance for Ellaria who WAS NOT Arianne....... then I saw bad things coming.

Beside, Ellaria is the only one that is calling for peace in the book "can a SKULL keep me warm at night in bed?" - Ellaria Sand on The Mountain's Head.  Yet, she ends up "weak men will never rule Dorne again" and Tyene is suddenly her daughter.

I hate when shows use things for plot devices for other actors.  I had seen enough of Cersei a few seasons ago.  Nothing she does shocks me anymore.  It doesn't bring me enjoyment.  They just sit around I think making up ways to kill and then assign it to different highly paid actors in the show.

Every battle scene/fight involving the Sand Snakes was an insult to the intellectual property of GRR Martin.  Those women could take down the Red Keep by themselves if they wanted to.  And in fact, that is what DWD sets up for us.  They are all being sent up there to reek havok and I love it.

Bronn?  JAIME?  In the show it took ALL the female power out of Dorne and made them look like weak-assed females who got too big for their britches and paid the ultimate price.  Nymeria could walk in there disguised and just pick people off left and right with her hidden arsenal.  Tyene the same with her poisons among other things.  We know Serella is deadly as a daughter of Oberyn.  Obara "is too loud" (a direct quote from AFFC) so Doran gave her the obvious assignment to go get Darkstar,

I feel sick.

11 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

I almost don't want to write this......... but I was expecting so much from Dorne.  When the first scene of Doran came on the screen, and Ellaria came on I actually thought it was ARIANNE!  Her hair was different.  Then my jaw dropped through the whole scene.  Using Obara's entrance for Ellaria who WAS NOT Arianne....... then I saw bad things coming.

Beside, Ellaria is the only one that is calling for peace in the book "can a SKULL keep me warm at night in bed?" - Ellaria Sand on The Mountain's Head.  Yet, she ends up "weak men will never rule Dorne again" and Tyene is suddenly her daughter.

I hate when shows use things for plot devices for other actors.  I had seen enough of Cersei a few seasons ago.  Nothing she does shocks me anymore.  It doesn't bring me enjoyment.  They just sit around I think making up ways to kill and then assign it to different highly paid actors in the show.

Every battle scene/fight involving the Sand Snakes was an insult to the intellectual property of GRR Martin.  Those women could take down the Red Keep by themselves if they wanted to.  And in fact, that is what DWD sets up for us.  They are all being sent up there to reek havok and I love it.

Bronn?  JAIME?  In the show it took ALL the female power out of Dorne and made them look like weak-assed females who got too big for their britches and paid the ultimate price.  Nymeria could walk in there disguised and just pick people off left and right with her hidden arsenal.  Tyene the same with her poisons among other things.  We know Serella is deadly as a daughter of Oberyn.  Obara "is too loud" (a direct quote from AFFC) so Doran gave her the obvious assignment to go get Darkstar,

I feel sick.

You know what I didn't care a fig for them in the books. But because the show was soooooo bad with their characters it actually made me appreciate them book characters more. :D

17 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

You know what I didn't care a fig for them in the books. But because the show was soooooo bad with their characters it actually made me appreciate them book characters more. :D

AFFC is one of my favorite books because I like the Dorne and Iron Islands introduction.  I was sick of the same old people.  I think the more I read over those chapters, the more interested in them I became.  I was not initially super interested.

For me it become that "these are the daughters of Oberyn" and since Oberyn's portrayal was so amazing on screen, it caused my mind to embrace the SS more.  I also came to enjoy Asha's story and the King's Moot and all that.  I was very angry when there was no Horn of Hell thing in the show lol.... for some reason that just tickled me.  When Euron appeared in the show I was very un-phased by the character.  People say "omg he's so nasty" but in the books it's really understated.  You can tell he is evil but not so comically.  And I wanted THE PROPHET Aeron also.  I don't know how anyone could not love that character.  The II people are so freaking strange and bizarre.  Victarion not so much, but the family dynamic I loved.

"9 sons were born to Quellyn Greyjoy"!!!

I guess now there was only 2.

41 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

I feel sick.

Wow, how many times have you read the books?  I do remember a lot more happened in Dorne in the books than the show.  Arianne is Doran's daughter, right?

It frustrates me too, because the books are better for the most part, but since when does a movie or tv show do justice to the book(s) it's based on.  I don't think they could because it would have to run for too many seasons and people would tire of it by then.  I think you just have to accept that the show is it's own thing, or you're gonna blow a gasket.

Just now, SansaJonRule said:

Wow, how many times have you read the books?  I do remember a lot more happened in Dorne in the books than the show.  Arianne is Doran's daughter, right?

It frustrates me too, because the books are better for the most part, but since when does a movie or tv show do justice to the book(s) it's based on.  I don't think they could because it would have to run for too many seasons and people would tire of it by then.  I think you just have to accept that the show is it's own thing, or you're gonna blow a gasket.

I must admit, I eventually moved on to audiobook....... and AFFC is the ONE book in the series you maybe can still get it that is not narrated by Roy Dotrice.  John Lee has the most awesome voice for this series, but of course the natives rose up and demanded Roy resume his role as narrator so Lee got the boot.  I listen to audiobooks to fall asleep.  Since I have vivid dreams, I've found myself IN the World of Ice and Fire LOL.  So, AFFC is a book I know and can quote almost from memory. 

Arianne is Doran's daughter who has spent years thinking Doran is giving the throne to her younger bro Quentyn.... when actually, he has been playing a long con with Varys and Illyrio to marry Arianne to VISERYS!  Therrefore to take back the throne with Arianne as queen.  It's pretty deep when you flesh it out.  Now in DWD he is sending Arianne up to meet Aegon and Jon Connington to ally them in secret against King's Landing.  And he's also sending the Sand Snakes (3 of them) up to KL in secret at secret positions to work them from within.  I mean, how cool is that?  Had the show only followed those leads!

I did have a Come To Jesus about separating the show from books, but they show could have lasted more than season 8.  They just weren't prepared to cycle in newer characters and cycle out the old ones.  That's why I bitch about ACTOR CONTRACTS.  The show is ending because people like Lena Headey and Kit Harrington, Turner and Coster-Waldaj have CONTRACTS and they can't kill them off yet.  Makes no room for fresh blood.

15 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

AFFC is one of my favorite books because I like the Dorne and Iron Islands introduction.  I was sick of the same old people.  I think the more I read over those chapters, the more interested in them I became.  I was not initially super interested.

For me it become that "these are the daughters of Oberyn" and since Oberyn's portrayal was so amazing on screen, it caused my mind to embrace the SS more.  I also came to enjoy Asha's story and the King's Moot and all that.  I was very angry when there was no Horn of Hell thing in the show lol.... for some reason that just tickled me.  When Euron appeared in the show I was very un-phased by the character.  People say "omg he's so nasty" but in the books it's really understated.  You can tell he is evil but not so comically.  And I wanted THE PROPHET Aeron also.  I don't know how anyone could not love that character.  The II people are so freaking strange and bizarre.  Victarion not so much, but the family dynamic I loved.

"9 sons were born to Quellyn Greyjoy"!!!

I guess now there was only 2.

Well look no further you found one lol. I am not a fan of the Damphair. Book Euron is one of my favorites. He is so sinister. And I love a well written villain. The second time around I enjoyed the Dorne chapters more. Not that I didn't like them they just didn't make me go hey look at these bad chicks. I do also like the Darkstar. lots of people think hes a joke but there is something to him....plus house dayne is so mysterious its my favorite house.....

3 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Well look no further you found one lol. I am not a fan of the Damphair. Book Euron is one of my favorites. He is so sinister. And I love a well written villain. The second time around I enjoyed the Dorne chapters more. Not that I didn't like them they just didn't make me go hey look at these bad chicks. I do also like the Darkstar. lots of people think hes a joke but there is something to him....plus house dayne is so mysterious its my favorite house.....

Well there are other powerful houses in Dorne......... as if they wouldn't attack KL!!!  ??

The show hopes we just forget Dorne ever was.  Yet they are one of the most powerful houses in westeros, the only single house to have resisted the targaryens.

Damphair you gotta maybe have the thing for the bizzare.  He's a strange dude, and maybe because I do audiobook now, the way he speaks is , it makes me chuckle sometimes.  The guy is walking around drowning people, wearing sweaweed in his hair and beard, at feasts drinking WATER, and rivals any southern baptist preacher i ever heard.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:22 PM, Nowy Tends said:

Couldn't agree more. With good writing/dialogue it could've been a great, touching scene. The Lady of WF acting in the field of honor, gratitude, respect, etc.

One can dream :rolleyes:

Yes, it would have been a good way to both remind viewers what Meera went through and to show Sansa as a great lady.  They missed another good opportunity.  The show is suffering because they are trying to get through too much too fast, or maybe it's just D&D didn't think of it.

We probably will see Meera again with her father.

I do want to point out that what Meera did wasn't for Bran per se, but for Westeros.  Jojen was a greenseer and knew exactly why it was so important to get Bran to the 3ER and keep him safe, and Meera should realize that too.

17 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

I must admit, I eventually moved on to audiobook....... and AFFC is the ONE book in the series you maybe can still get it that is not narrated by Roy Dotrice.  John Lee has the most awesome voice for this series, but of course the natives rose up and demanded Roy resume his role as narrator so Lee got the boot.  I listen to audiobooks to fall asleep.  Since I have vivid dreams, I've found myself IN the World of Ice and Fire LOL.  So, AFFC is a book I know and can quote almost from memory. 

Arianne is Doran's daughter who has spent years thinking Doran is giving the throne to her younger bro Quentyn.... when actually, he has been playing a long con with Varys and Illyrio to marry Arianne to VISERYS!  Therrefore to take back the throne with Arianne as queen.  It's pretty deep when you flesh it out.  Now in DWD he is sending Arianne up to meet Aegon and Jon Connington to ally them in secret against King's Landing.  And he's also sending the Sand Snakes (3 of them) up to KL in secret at secret positions to work them from within.  I mean, how cool is that?  Had the show only followed those leads!

I did have a Come To Jesus about separating the show from books, but they show could have lasted more than season 8.  They just weren't prepared to cycle in newer characters and cycle out the old ones.  That's why I bitch about ACTOR CONTRACTS.  The show is ending because people like Lena Headey and Kit Harrington, Turner and Coster-Waldaj have CONTRACTS and they can't kill them off yet.  Makes no room for fresh blood.

Oh, yeah, it's coming back to me now.  Didn't book 5 end with Arianne, her protector and Marcella out in the desert?  I plan to do a re-read after season 7.

The contracts also keep the actors from just quitting and having to be replaced with someone else which totally screws things up, so there is a flip side to that.

30 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

Well there are other powerful houses in Dorne......... as if they wouldn't attack KL!!!  ??

The show hopes we just forget Dorne ever was.  Yet they are one of the most powerful houses in westeros, the only single house to have resisted the targaryens.

Damphair you gotta maybe have the thing for the bizzare.  He's a strange dude, and maybe because I do audiobook now, the way he speaks is , it makes me chuckle sometimes.  The guy is walking around drowning people, wearing sweaweed in his hair and beard, at feasts drinking WATER, and rivals any southern baptist preacher i ever heard.

Oh yes he has some pretty choice lines. Like Randyll Tarly....he's just got a way with people lol. I thought is was well in line with book Randyll when show Randyll wanted to whip the stragglers. I mean coming from a man  thinks anyone could benefit from a "good" raping. Seems bout right to me.

Archived