Looking Ahead: Littlefinger & Varys

Iron Mother

What is happening with these two dynamic characters and their plots and schemes?  They are being pushed to the side, so what are we to expect for these guys?  This is not really a predictions thing as much as, these two have been lurking in the background of all major events since the beginning.  Like when Arya was hiding in the dragon skull listening to Varys and Illyrio..... and when LF was sowing the discord which began the war of the 5 kings.

These really are major characters.  Will they just fade away like Dorne?  Will they have one last move on the chess board to shock everyone?  I hope so the latter.  I must include (again) if LF is removed by some Sansa revenge plot, you will hear me screaming at Pacific Standard Time. 

I expect Varys to survive the story.

When it comes to LF I hope that he makes it to Season 8. I'd love him to survive too but I fear that it won't happen. So I hope that he will do his final master move and that then his death will be epic and not some stupid Walder-like murder.

19 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

These really are major characters.  Will they just fade away like Dorne?  Will they have one last move on the chess board to shock everyone?  I hope so the latter.  I must include (again) if LF is removed by some Sansa revenge plot, you will hear me screaming at Pacific Standard Time. 

I agree. I am really hopeful they do play out one last move - particularly LF. I hope that's why they've had him just observing and lurking. I think he should be the next major death this season. I just hope they finish up his arc satisfactorily.

As for Varys .... I suppose we have known since S1 he has wanted a Targ restoration. So hes seems to be on track with his wishes for where his story is at.    

1 hour ago, princess_snow said:

I agree. I am really hopeful they do play out one last move - particularly LF. I hope that's why they've had him just observing and lurking. I think he should be the next major death this season. I just hope they finish up his arc satisfactorily.

As for Varys .... I suppose we have known since S1 he has wanted a Targ restoration. So hes seems to be on track with his wishes for where his story is at.    

Thank you for saying this.  No one seems to want to admit to the gravity of these characters or the need for (as you eloquently said) finish up his arc satisfactorily.  I just sense more every episode he will end up being a tool for a Sansa plot device and (if it is not obvious by now) Sansa is working my last nerve. :D

4 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

Thank you for saying this.  No one seems to want to admit to the gravity of these characters or the need for (as you eloquently said) finish up his arc satisfactorily.  I just sense more every episode he will end up being a tool for a Sansa plot device and (if it is not obvious by now) Sansa is working my last nerve. :D

Youre welcome. :D

I really enjoy both of these characters and although they have both been quiet so far this season, I live in hope for a decent finish whatever the arc end is.

Haha re Sansa. Yep I get it. 

I don't think they have any more plots left up their sleeves. I think the story is being rushed too fast, all of their plans took time and that (to me) is what made them interesting characters. It was always in the background but you never really saw it. I think Varys will survive and just continue to be a councilor to Dany. LF I say dies episode 6. It will be a major character death but loose some meaning since he unfortunately hasn't done much this season. 

With all of this though, I hope I am wrong. I want LF to have one last plan that just blows my mind (and if he dies from it that would make sense to me) but I kinda doubt it sadly...

22 hours ago, ImNoSer said:

i agree with ya. unfortunately ive been thinking since there are only 9 episodes left until the series ends, likely we will see arya killing littlefinger and wearing his face to bring the vale under control.

Which is a bit of a dumb ending to littlefingers story arc, I was hoping to see him make least one last shocker type play for power before they kill him off. But as  ive said, only 9 episodes left. Not sure if theres time for LF/Varys to do something cool.

imo even worse then the ending they gave stannis, at least with stannis they gave him a cool epic scene and even let him kill 2 farm boys before he died. With LF/Varys i wanna see some major power moves before they get killed off. But nope, wont give us that lol because the entire story is about jon snow and dany now (the 2 most boring characters).

Preach it!  Man preach it.  Jonerys is somehow worse than I imagined it would be.  Jon is getting a bad case of Stockholm syndrome on that island.

7 hours ago, btfu806 said:

With all of this though, I hope I am wrong. I want LF to have one last plan that just blows my mind (and if he dies from it that would make sense to me) but I kinda doubt it sadly...

Yes, I do not wish him to go on and on, but to do him justice there has to be one more shocking twist with him.  A MAJOR twist.  It would ruin the show in my opinion (I know that is saying a lot) but remember, he started all of this in the first place.  He killed Jon Arryn (through Lysa) which brought Ned to the South and we all know how it went from there.

The progenitor of all this deserves a last twist.  I can't see him turning back the Cersei - mostly because she would not allow it and probably kill him for his alliance with the North.  But maybe he won't want Daenerys either and will double-cross the North with that as the reason.  His control over the Vale cannot be understated.  Wherever he takes their forces will have a huge affect in the future of what happens.  Although, it has not been said how he feels about the Whites (if he really believes they are real or whatever)..... he may have to keep the alliance because of the dragon glass coming with Jon.

But if he dies, I think Sansa could get Sweet Robyn under her thumb for the Vale Knights, but I wonder if he is yet old enough to command them on his own or if another person has to assume the Regency for SR.  Like maybe Lord Royce.  At this point, the Crown is not in a position to appoint people to power like that (LF got control through marriage to Lysa).

As for Varys, someone else said all he has wanted ever was a stable reign in Westeros and he sees that is through Daenerys so maybe where he is now is the end of his arc.

I think Littlefinger bites the dust this season, maybe even next episode. He has become careless with his obsession with Sansa anda letting his guard down big time. Also, the showrunners seems to have no idea what to do with him

Varys might get through Season 8, but I think he also goes down this season, after LF

Well, it's certain symbolic: Those two characters embodied the Game of Thrones itself. Their deaths could represent how this is becoming irrelevant with Winter knocking at Westeros door

Why can't Varys switch to the other Targaryen still in the story?  We saw Varys listen closely to Jon's advice to Dany. We can assume he would approve as he is always for the realm.  Remember when we heard Davos say humorously that he might switch sides? Why can't Varys?  Is there any evidence that Varys, who appears  to know all, might know something about Jon?

25 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Why can't Varys switch to the other Targaryen still in the story?  We saw Varys listen closely to Jon's advice to Dany. We can assume he would approve as he is always for the realm.  Remember when we heard Davos say humorously that he might switch sides? Why can't Varys?  Is there any evidence that Varys, who appears  to know all, might know something about Jon?

Ooh, good point!  Or perhaps it's what prompts him to broker a marriage between Dany and Jon.  Perhaps that's where the "you need to make her listen" comes from

On 8/9/2017 at 11:06 AM, ImNoSer said:

i agree with ya. unfortunately ive been thinking since there are only 9 episodes left until the series ends, likely we will see arya killing littlefinger and wearing his face to bring the vale under control.

Which is a bit of a dumb ending to littlefingers story arc, I was hoping to see him make least one last shocker type play for power before they kill him off. But as  ive said, only 9 episodes left. Not sure if theres time for LF/Varys to do something cool.

imo even worse then the ending they gave stannis, at least with stannis they gave him a cool epic scene and even let him kill 2 farm boys before he died. With LF/Varys i wanna see some major power moves before they get killed off. But nope, wont give us that lol because the entire story is about jon snow and dany now (the 2 most boring characters).

How does Arya do someone's VOICE tho?

I can see how people don't buy into the show because of things like that.  At least the Mission: Impossible movies have the bio-electric tape over the voice area when impersonating.

When Jaquen killed at Harrenhaal, I can't remember if he fake someone's voice.  He was silent.

1 minute ago, Iron Mother said:

How does Arya do someone's VOICE tho?

I can see how people don't buy into the show because of things like that.  At least the Mission: Impossible movies have the bio-electric tape over the voice area when impersonating.

When Jaquen killed at Harrenhaal, I can't remember if he fake someone's voice.  He was silent.

The magic behind the face working is supposed create an image to all senses that the FM is the person whose face he is wearing, including height, weight, appearance and sound.

3 hours ago, Illiterati said:

The magic behind the face working is supposed create an image to all senses that the FM is the person whose face he is wearing, including height, weight, appearance and sound.

of  course it is <_<

I often wonder "how do we tolerate this show?"

On ‎11‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 0:13 AM, Iron Mother said:

His control over the Vale cannot be understated.  Wherever he takes their forces will have a huge affect in the future of what happens.  Although, it has not been said how he feels about the Whites (if he really believes they are real or whatever)..... he may have to keep the alliance because of the dragon glass coming with Jon.

But if he dies, I think Sansa could get Sweet Robyn under her thumb for the Vale Knights, but I wonder if he is yet old enough to command them on his own or if another person has to assume the Regency for SR.  Like maybe Lord Royce. 

You really believe D&D care about the Vale or who leads it or Sweet Robin anymore? The Vale and its army are probably written off into non-existence as much as Dorne, The Stormlands, etc.

If something is going to happen to Varys, please don't let it happen before we learn who owned the 'voice' on the day he was cut.  Both the show and the book tell us his memory is a voice of a 'priest' who threw his parts into the flame.  We are left to think he would recognize it again.  Who was it?

Archived