Recommened me a fantasy sword and sorcery medievalish book

Lady Winter Rose

So 2+ pages into this thread and no one has brought up The Second Apocalypse? *Gasps internally* It might not be exactly what you're looking for and it is very dark. But if you're looking for sorcery and lots of it, this is your series. The series has been touted as the second most popular behind only asoiaf on this forum. I personally have to rank it as asoiaf's equal if not higher. 

According to her criteria in the first post she is basically looking for "classic" epic fantasy, neither "low fantasy" sword and sorcery like Leiber nor more recent takes on epic fantasy that give a taste of despair and disgust rather than a "touch of magic, feeling of wonder". Note that she is not a native speaker and might not have been familiar with the more restricted meaning of "sword and sorcery" as something different from "epic fantasy".

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well it's not sword and sorcery, at all, and not what the OP asked for in the slightest. Plus I think you'll find a lot of people have soured on it recently.

Ah I see. I took the term at face value and thought tSA would fit the description. Maybe I am one of "the few" (heh heh) but I greatly enjoyed the series, despite its overly hyped flaws. 

On 8/9/2017 at 9:52 PM, Hello World said:

You might like Red Queen's War by Mark lawrence (Prince of Fools, etc), haven't read his new series.

Never thought I would say this but, I second HW's recommendation. Red Queen's War is IMO, Mark's best work.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The Witcher short stories and novels by Andrej Sapkowski.

From what I remember, the @Lady Winter Rose is Croatian. If there's no Croatian translation for the series, there's a Serbian one that's pretty good and the whole series has already been published.

On 13. 08. 2017. at 10:47 AM, Jo498 said:

According to her criteria in the first post she is basically looking for "classic" epic fantasy, neither "low fantasy" sword and sorcery like Leiber nor more recent takes on epic fantasy that give a taste of despair and disgust rather than a "touch of magic, feeling of wonder". Note that she is not a native speaker and might not have been familiar with the more restricted meaning of "sword and sorcery" as something different from "epic fantasy".

My bad then. I was definitely looking for something similarly magic heavy like Elric Saga or wonderful like Dragonlance. That does not mean you cant suggest something outside of my requirements, if you think my requirements class with each other.

I have experience in reading in English language and card for online shopping, so place of my residence should be no issue.

Archived