Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Thread [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

Why give any weight to "could have been an interesting idea"? Every film ever made, good or bad, has some idea at its core that is interesting if you're willing to elaborate on it enough, IMO. STID had an incompetent script; STV had an incompetent-almost-everything.

At worst (to bring it back on topic), Episode XI will be a mediocre film, IMO, based on Abram's track record.

8 minutes ago, felice said:

What's at the core of Into Darkness?

Making Khan a very sensitive, fair villain, who is willing to go very far in order to save his family. 

Viewing the Federation as not particularly that good of an organization, precursors of what we see in DS9. 

Don't get me wrong - I didn't think it was that good - but 'the core of the story' argument rings pretty hollow there. ST5 was utter shit. Into Darkness was a competently made meh movie. 

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Wrath of Khan.

Nah. It copies some superficial elements from movies 2 and 3, but it doesn't earn them. You might as well say the Star Trek episode Arena is the core of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Wasn't the biggest criticism of the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies (after the whitewashing thing) that they felt too much like Star Wars movies?

Just sayin'...

Yep, and then he somehow contrived to make a Star Wars movie that didn't feel enough like a Star Wars movie even though he leaned super hard on the template of previous Star Wars movies.

I don't think he likes Jedi, actually. Pretty sure I read somewhere he hates Ewoks. How much did he have to do with the script in 7 anyway?

24 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Khanberbatch

Oh right, that's a weird one because Khan is supposed to be middle Eastern but was played by a Spanish guy. So I always kind of forget.

On 9/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hey, if JJ is doing IX, does that mean more Ewoks???  You know, because he likes to retread the previous movies...

Going by Force Awakens, I fully expect Finn to be captured by some sort of Crime Lord at the end of Last Jedi and so then Oscar Isaac has to try and save him by fake bringing in Chewbacca but then will in turn be captured himself and put in a metal speedo where eventually he gets to choke out the Crime Lord via a curtain.

On 9/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hey, if JJ is doing IX, does that mean more Ewoks???  You know, because he likes to retread the previous movies...

Well, we have porgs in VIII, so maybe they skipped Empire and went right to Jedi. ;)

19 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Going by Force Awakens, I fully expect Finn to be captured by some sort of Crime Lord at the end of Last Jedi and so then Oscar Isaac has to try and save him by fake bringing in Chewbacca but then will in turn be captured himself and put in a metal speedo where eventually he gets to choke out the Crime Lord via a curtain.

That also sets up the perfect opportunity for Lando to appear in IX...

I'm ok with Abrams doing part IX. A bit like when he was anounced for VII - we know he's safe (assuming you liked VII). We still don't know what Rian Johnson's version will be like so again, it's probably safer to take JJ for now.

I'm amazed it took them so long to announce the December push-back. I was under the impression that's the slot they want the SW films to be in. I guess they can't admit they were wrong and so they wait until they have a legitimate reason to move the date.

Archived