What Are Your Favorite Weird Tales ?

GAROVORKIN

Lovecraft: The Outsider

maybe because this was the very first weird tale in a narrower sense (other then more common/traditional spook/ghost stories) I encountered.

Then the one with the Hare's foot or whatever it was. Apparently it was something else because I cannot find it with these search words. It is a talisman that grants wishes (and they are used foolishly in the story).

I just read "Necromancy in Naat"; it's a little too close to being involuntarily silly for me. I prefer The Tale of Satampra Zeiros (read this a while ago), now checking "Singing Flame" (not sure I have read that one, probably not).

Of novellas, for sheer weirdness, I found that Blackwood's "The Willows" deserves its reputation, it is fairly slow, though.

20 hours ago, Jo498 said:

Then the one with the Hare's foot or whatever it was. Apparently it was something else because I cannot find it with these search words. It is a talisman that grants wishes (and they are used foolishly in the story).

I just read "Necromancy in Naat"; it's a little too close to being involuntarily silly for me. I prefer The Tale of Satampra Zeiros (read this a while ago), now checking "Singing Flame" (not sure I have read that one, probably not).

The Monkey's Paw?

8 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The House on the Borderland  by William Hope Hodgson .  I would so love to see a film adaptation of this one.

The Night Land by Hodgson is also pretty weird but substantially longer and a really chore to get through

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Night Land by Hodgson is also pretty weird but substantially longer and a really chore to get through

The main problem with the Night Land is the pseudo archaic wring style  Hodgson chose to write with. It ruins what could have been a pretty good book. The Imagery of that dark earth is quite interesting , there is an illustrated version of the The Nightland that can be found  online .   Ive seen mention of a book a called The Nighland Retold by James Stoddard

18 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The Monkey's Paw?

of course!

I have one fat pbck volume of Hope Hodgson but being not really enthusiastic about the two I read (ghost pirates and the one with the shipwreck in the country of strange monsters that pound things to pulp) and not sure I can take the archaic style, I hesitated about trying the othes, especially "The Night Land".

Archived