Is Jon a real dragon?

Mohenjo Daro

7 minutes ago, Brightstar_ said:

Isn't Dany's mother Rhaella Targaryen?

Yep, you're right, how embarrassing. I honestly thought the whole marrying-your-sister nonsense one or two generations further back, but I remembered wrong.

38 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Yep, you're right, how embarrassing. I honestly thought the whole marrying-your-sister nonsense one or two generations further back, but I remembered wrong.

Haha don't worry man, you legit had me doubting that myself for a second

1 hour ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... no.

Dany is because she's pure Targaryen. 

(Show AND Book Dany survived Drogo's funeral pyre while hatching baby dragons. One has hair afterwards. I'd say that's pretty fireproof.)

Jon is half Dragon, half Wolf. He is NOT fireproof. Which is why he has a scarred hand from saving Lord Commander Mormont from the wight.

How Dany could be pure Targ with other bloodlines through marriages?
Targs usually do marry their own brothers and sisters, but Dany's great-grandmother was Blackwood, her great-great-grandmother was Dayne, great-great-great-grandmother was Martell, also Targs married other descendants of Old Valyria blood from Lys or Velaryons, they married Hightowers and Baratheons as well - all of which blood flows in Dany's veins. They also married Arryns and other smaller houses, but those are not present in Dany's lineage, just different branches of the family. 
The purest Targs in the history of Westeros were Aegon and his sisters, although, they also had Velaryon blood, since their mother was one.
Jon has Stark blood lineage in him, but it doesn't mean Dany is a "pureblood" (I don't like this word, seems a bit like discrimination).
I always bring up Aegon V (because I like him from Dunk and Egg stories very much and he seemed to be a decent king) and he had high heat resistance (the same as Dany, actually) and he was half Dayne - so not "pureblood".
Anyway, I do not see it being the case. The only logical explanation I have - the show writers screwed up original GRRM's idea and decided to go "fireproof" and obviously whole "not a real dragon" lane instead.

2 minutes ago, Gala said:

How Dany could be pure Targ with other bloodlines through marriages?
Targs usually do marry their own brothers and sisters, but Dany's great-grandmother was Blackwood, her great-great-grandmother was Dayne, great-great-great-grandmother was Martell, also Targs married other descendants of Old Valyria blood from Lys or Velaryons, they married Hightowers and Baratheons as well - all of which blood flows in Dany's veins. They also married Arryns and other smaller houses, but those are not present in Dany's lineage, just different branches of the family. 
The purest Targs in the history of Westeros were Aegon and his sisters, although, they also had Velaryon blood, since their mother was one.
Jon has Stark blood lineage in him, but it doesn't mean Dany is a "pureblood" (I don't like this word, seems a bit like discrimination).
I always bring up Aegon V (because I like him from Dunk and Egg stories very much and he seemed to be a decent king) and he had high heat resistance (the same as Dany, actually) and he was half Dayne - so not "pureblood".
Anyway, I do not see it being the case. The only logical explanation I have - the show writers screwed up original GRRM's idea and decided to go "fireproof" and obviously whole "not a real dragon" lane instead.

"Pure X-bloodline" always comes with a grain of salt, there's no bloodline in the world that's entirely pure, and neither is there in asoiaf, regardless of all the incest. The point being made was that Dany has more Targaryen blood, causing her to be more resistant to fire than Jon. (Which I disagree with, see my first post on this thread).

Just now, Brightstar_ said:

"Pure X-bloodline" always comes with a grain of salt, there's no bloodline in the world that's entirely pure, and neither is there in asoiaf, regardless of all the incest. The point being made was that Dany has more Targaryen blood, causing her to be more resistant to fire than Jon. (Which I disagree with, see my first post on this thread).

Probably, I missed your first post on the thread:unsure:
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I don't think the purity of blood is the case.

5 minutes ago, Gala said:

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I don't think the purity of blood is the case.

I completely agree, if it were the case that Targaryens are fireproof, then I don't think the difference between Jon and Dany's blood should have that much of an impact. Of course this is complete speculation lol.

1 minute ago, Brightstar_ said:

I completely agree, if it were the case that Targaryens are fireproof, then I don't think the difference between Jon and Dany's blood should have that much of an impact. Of course this is complete speculation lol.

Well the whole "real Targaryens are fireproof" thing is a show invention (GRRM himself debunks it as far as books are concerned), so looking for clues in the minutiae of book lore is probably not going to yield satisfactory answers anyhow. Of course true-blooded this or true-blooded that is largely nonsense as far as a modern understanding of genetics is concerned, but that doesn't stop it being a thing in the books (or the show), and Dany is decidedly more "pure" Targaryen in her recent ancestry than Jon, that is true.

11 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Well the whole "real Targaryens are fireproof" thing is a show invention (GRRM himself debunks it as far as books are concerned), so looking for clues in the minutiae of book lore is probably not going to yield satisfactory answers anyhow. Of course true-blooded this or true-blooded that is largely nonsense as far as a modern understanding of genetics is concerned, but that doesn't stop it being a thing in the books (or the show), and Dany is decidedly more "pure" Targaryen in her recent ancestry than Jon, that is true.

You are right, I'd just think that if the show wanted it to be a Targaryen thing rather than a "Dany-thing" they'd have shown Jon being less burned than he was, and how would they justify the death of Viserys? They could argue that it wasn't "technically" fire, but molten gold I guess, still I feel like it's just something very inconsistent on the show.

7 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... no.

Dany is because she's pure Targaryen. 

(Show AND Book Dany survived Drogo's funeral pyre while hatching baby dragons. One has hair afterwards. I'd say that's pretty fireproof.)

Targaryensare NOT fireproof.  Many Targaryens, throughout history, have been killed with fire. Aegon V, hell.. Viserys is Dany's brother but he wasn't fireproof.  

ShowDany IS fireproof because of "reasons".  I can only assume those reasons are for cinematic purposes because DD apparently needed a crutch for plot purposes.  Unfortunately what makes for great and dramatic scenes cause serious problems with the world logic later on.  

BookDany is NOT fireproof, although she did survive the bonfire that hatched her dragons due to blood magic.  That was a one time thing.  

Archived