What Are Your Choices for the Most Despicable and Unlikable Characters in all of Literature ?

GAROVORKIN

While all fantastic characters, the following are my choices:

the Thenardiers from Les Miserables: grave robbers, child abusers, con artists

Svidrigailov from Crime and Punishment: just a depraved, weasel of a character, his pursuit of Dunya was creepy

Judge Holden from Blood Meridian: makes the rest of the Glanton Gang look like boy scouts and he has a massive god complex

Blue Duck from Lonesome Dove: his actions in the novel

probably more, but the above characters really stand out

ETA: How could I forget Cathy Ames from East of Eden?

Thomas Covenant is the easy win here. He's not a character I love to hate, I literally just hate the motherfucker. I was so happy to finish Lord Foul's Bane so I would never have to read about that insufferable prick ever, ever, again.

20 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter.

All the scarier, because we have all actually met her at some point in our lives.

Yeah I've been marathoning the films, and I always forget just how much I want to punch her in the face. And she's 100000 times worse in the books.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I've been marathoning the films, and I always forget just how much I want to punch her in the face. And she's 100000 times worse in the books.

Imelda Staunton was pretty inspired casting for the role I think. I have like 1000 gripes with the films but casting isn't one of them.

Regal Farseer takes the cake, along with the Pale Woman and Dwalia. And The Duke of Chalced.

Iago from Othello is of course utterly reprehensible, and memorably so

16 hours ago, matt b said:

Thomas Covenant is the easy win here. He's not a character I love to hate, I literally just hate the motherfucker. I was so happy to finish Lord Foul's Bane so I would never have to read about that insufferable prick ever, ever, again.

that's a strange way to spell holden caulfield

3 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Reverend Nathan Price. 

No contest for me.

Nice!

19 hours ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

that's a strange way to spell holden caulfield

Lol

Re: Blue Duck

I love Lonesome Dove but the whole Blue Duck / captivity rapefest was just lazy writing and awful to read.  We get it, blue duck is a bad dude. Didn't need the one dimensional evulz shit to make that point.

From  Wilkie Collin's  novel The Moonstone   Miss Clack , a narrow minded religious bigot and busybody .

From Joseph Heller's Catch 22.   This is a book that is  very well written , but that said ,  I will never read it again . There was not one even remotely likable or redeemable character  . But to me, the worst character of all  was that profiteering  sociopath scumbag  Milo Minderbender , he was by far the worst character in the book.

51 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Jesus.

I think he's an okay dude. Gives fish, bread, and wine for free.

Fanclub?

I can take or leave some of them.

:)

I actually liked Glokta until the end of the First Law Trilogy. After all the torture, brutality, and awfulness--it was only his treatment of the queen which made me genuinely hate him.

36 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think he's an okay dude. Gives fish, bread, and wine for free.

Fanclub?

I can take or leave some of them.

:)

I actually liked Glokta until the end of the First Law Trilogy. After all the torture, brutality, and awfulness--it was only his treatment of the queen which made me genuinely hate him.

Pfft he only gives free food is you subscribe to his newsletter. :P

Archived