What Are Your Choices for the Most Despicable and Unlikable Characters in all of Literature ?

GAROVORKIN

23 hours ago, mankytoes said:

Simon "Sick Boy" Williamson from Invine Welsh's novels. Horribly realistic portrayal of a brutally selfish person useing people, mainly women, for pleasure and profit.

I have not read the book, but is Francis Begbie as much a pyschopathic evil presence there as he is in the movies?  Robert Carlyle's performance in both films fills me with the fear and loathing.

1 hour ago, The Wedge said:

I have not read the book, but is Francis Begbie as much a pyschopathic evil presence there as he is in the movies?  Robert Carlyle's performance in both films fills me with the fear and loathing.

Begbie is borderline psychotic, unhinged and violent. He's pretty batshit, and it's very entertaining. Sick Boy is more of a psychopath in the true sense of the word, he does things like get young girls hooked on heroin so he can pimp them out.

The books are very different (and so good, seriously everyone should give Trainspotting a go). Especially the sequal, it's very different, Sick Boy is the protagonist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 5:49 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

I'm going to say that in addition to the easy answers of Ramsey Bolton, Joffrey, Walder Frey, and the Mountain that I'm personally one of the biggest haters of Rhaegar Targaryen. I really dislike how just about everyone gives the guy a pass for all of his boneheaded mistakes while coming down on Robert. For me, honestly, I think him getting his chest smashed him by Robert was the best thing to happen to Westeros.

I don't think I have ever hated a novel character as much as I hated Janos Slynt. Something about him and Ser Alester really got on my nerves (in a good way, in that GRRM wrote them well). I was beyond happy to see Janos beheaded.

For some reason, I don't even hate Joffrey as much as I hate Janos.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:43 PM, mankytoes said:

Begbie is borderline psychotic, unhinged and violent. He's pretty batshit, and it's very entertaining. Sick Boy is more of a psychopath in the true sense of the word, he does things like get young girls hooked on heroin so he can pimp them out.

The books are very different (and so good, seriously everyone should give Trainspotting a go). Especially the sequal, it's very different, Sick Boy is the protagonist.

Yeah, the prequel book Skag Boys shows Sick Boy as a ruthless, sociopathic exploiter of women, initially as a casually parasitic charmer and then later pimping out his young girlfriend (when they’re both heroin addicts).  You see a lot more of his personality in the books other than Trainspotting.  

But Begbie’s explosive, hair-trigger violence, and the fear everyone around him had, always made him seem a more menacing and malevolent character.  Plus he didn’t have the excuse of heroin addiction fueling his worst behavior.  

Sick Boy’s victims always leave me frustrated that they go along with it. 

On 13.8.2017. at 2:27 AM, larrytheimp said:

The Underground Man

Protagonist of Hesse's Demian

That god dude in the Bible*

Stephen King in the Dark Tower series

Most of the characters in The Crucible

Hamlet

Arcadio Buendia always chapped my ass

Brock Vonn from Vineland

Jesus and God are very different characters. Jesus is really cool and pretty great guy: social reformer/revolutionary, protects the marginalised people (the poor, women accused of adultery, other despised members of society) and speaks out against the rich and the church establishment, cures illnesses and gives people food and drink - all for free.

God, however, is really awful. He doesn't pop up in the New Testament (IIRC), which may be considered a separate book, but he shows up a lot in the Old Testament  - and he is really unlikelable and despicable. A cruel, immature and petty tyrant who creates sapient beings and then destroys them on a whim, commits genocide, plays favourites and demands absolute obedience from people so they would get his protection - asking them to kill their children just to see if they will follow any orders, or allowing their lives to be destroyed just to see if they will still obey him then...I'd argue he is the real villain of that book (or series of books).

20 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah, the prequel book Skag Boys shows Sick Boy as a ruthless, sociopathic exploiter of women, initially as a casually parasitic charmer and then later pimping out his young girlfriend (when they’re both heroin addicts).  You see a lot more of his personality in the books other than Trainspotting.  

But Begbie’s explosive, hair-trigger violence, and the fear everyone around him had, always made him seem a more menacing and malevolent character.  Plus he didn’t have the excuse of heroin addiction fueling his worst behavior.  

Sick Boy’s victims always leave me frustrated that they go along with it. 

I can see why most people see it that way. To me, Begbie is sometimes quite childish in his thoughts, which makes him a bit less dislikeable. A bit, he's still a terrible human being.

Neither are Welsh's worst point of view character either, that would have to be detective Bruce Robertson from Filth. But he has one hell of a set of excuses.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Annara Snow said:

Jesus and God are very different characters. Jesus is really cool and pretty great guy: social reformer/revolutionary, protects the marginalised people (the poor, women accused of adultery, other despised members of society) and speaks out against the rich and the church establishment, cures illnesses and gives people food and drink - all for free.

God, however, is really awful. He doesn't pop up in the New Testament (IIRC), which may be considered a separate book, but he shows up a lot in the Old Testament  - and he is really unlikelable and despicable. A cruel, immature and petty tyrant who creates sapient beings and then destroys them on a whim, commits genocide, plays favourites and demands absolute obedience from people so they would get his protection - asking them to kill their children just to see if they will follow any orders, or allowing their lives to be destroyed just to see if they will still obey him then...I'd argue he is the real villain of that book (or series of books).

The Lord chastises those whom he loves.

10 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Yeah, he's a sadist.

And don't forget Jesus' famous quotation:-

"Man's greatest joy is to slaughter his enemies, to crush them and drive them before him, and to listen to the lamentations of their women."

On 2/16/2018 at 10:24 AM, Sun Worshipper said:

I don't think I have ever hated a novel character as much as I hated Janos Slynt. Something about him and Ser Alester really got on my nerves (in a good way, in that GRRM wrote them well). I was beyond happy to see Janos beheaded.

For some reason, I don't even hate Joffrey as much as I hate Janos.

When I think Janos Slynt,,  they words that come to mind , malevolent weasel.

Come to think of it, Genshed in Shardik is a loathsome individual.  Murderer, torturer, child molester, rapist.  He likes to boast that he can drive a child mad with fear, without laying a finger on it.  It is so satisfying when the bear rips his face off at the end.

Archived