So who will be the final villain? The Night King or Cersei?

Kaguya

Yeah, sadly Littlefinger and Varys are done. LF wont survive this season and I think Varys will be killed very early next season (maybe even in premiere). 

Cersei will unfortunately be the final villain of series. She will die in the series finale. 

I wish it was the NK, but I think it's more likely that it'll be Cersei, even though the whole point of the series is that humanity ignores the real threat for way too long because they're too busy with their stupid games. I don't know how they're gonna solve this in six episodes, but I don't have much faith it'll be well-written.

Yeah, I don't know where I read that the first 3 episodes of Season 8 will be the war against the NK but that would mean the last 3 episodes would be Cersei/Euron.  So....plot armor for all the major characters until the series finale.

Cuz Jon ain't going anywhere and Dany ain't dying after only a few eps in Westeros.  I would have assumed Dany was 100% going to die against the NK in the series finale but she's not gonna miss the last 3 episodes of the series...which means she won't die to Cersei either.  All signs are pointing at an epilogue childbirth death with Jon and Tyrion taking care of the baby. Eugh.

Ideally, Cersei is killed in Ep 1 of Season 8 and raised by the Night's King in Ep 2.

The Night's King will be defeated in Ep 3 but it takes until Ep 5 for Jon to Kill Night Queen Cersei. He has to forge Lightbringer by stabbing Daenerys for it.

Ep 6 will be clean up.

At first I thought it pretty obvious that Cersie would go so Jon and Dany could consolidate the 7 kingdoms in prep for the Night King. 

Now that Cersie is so outmatched, it makes more sense for to play along with the battle against the army of the dead to delay and strategize imo. 

The best thing that could happen to Cersei is that a group of unarmored Warriors used to a hot climate fall against a blizzard and that one or more of the dragons fall. It's a no lose situation. Cersei is screwed anyways. Helping Jon and Dany has 4 outcomes.

a) delay Cersei's fall until the army of the dead destroy Westeros

b ) delay Cersei's fall until Dany and Jon can refocus on her 

c) change the position of strength Dany has and help Cersei find a way to win.

d) Cersei still loses to Dany but her actions in the war allow Dany to give the option of bending the knee or being pardoned and installed at Casterly Rock or Lannidport

either of those is still better than certainly and quickly losing now. 

I think Cersei dies mid-season.  Jaime will return to her for help after they've suffered several loses in the war for dawn and she will be all like "not my problem, burn them all" and Jaime freaks out and tearfully chokes her to death.  He will then take the rest of the Lannister soldiers/sellswords north to the fight the Night King.  It will be a turning point in the season.

It's a weird situation where Cersei's been one of the best antagonist in the series from season 1 and has the best motivations, the best ties to everyone, a gradual rise to power and madness beyond what she already was, and is finally in a position to be the main villain. Then the Night King who really wasn't even named a few seasons ago whose motivation is a simple destroy everything and who has no real ties to anybody from the plot. Also Cersei's been part of the main story and forever and the Nigh King was periphery until just recently. 

The better built villain is Cersei, but the story itself makes more sense about the squabbles of men being insignificant in the face of the army of the dead. 

To be honest, they'd probably be smart to make the concurrent final villains where Cersei maybe agrees to assist in the war while deceiving them on the back end and undermining the effort so that both can be taken out late in season 8. 

Cersei will kill the loverbirds once their (Dany's) armies and dragons are done defeating NK just barely and with many (all the rest) of our favourite characters giving their lives in the process; all but spent with a just a moment of rest Cersei betrays their truce and BÄNG. Then she will kill Drogon and we will be presented with the credits. Humanity survives the long night, but humanity also screws itself over. As we always do :)

Book it.

Ramsay, Euron, Cersei and NK would be the videogame progression and thus the least likely.

19 hours ago, Esa1996 said:

I'll be quite disappointed if the NK is not the final villain in the series. It's always been about how mundane the southern wars are and if the series ends with one of those, well, it'll be more than a little anticlimactic.

Thats we have been led to beleive, that the NK will be the final defeat/final epsiode etc. But the change of direction now makes that unlikely. Id like to think they do the unpredictable. 

Martin said that one difference between his story and archetypes is that in his story the evil isn't ugly (like orcs in LotR). Given that I don't think the Night King will technically be the bad guy everyone expects he is. I think it's more likely there won't be an "final villain" but will be a "final realization" that there isn't really any "final villain". I'm thinking at this point in time that the Night King is the ice and Dany is the fire in the song of ice and fire. Jon and Dany will become romantic; but in the end (probably through Bran) the Night King will make his purpose known, and it is that he has come for his "princess that was promised" and Dany will have to become the Night Queen, to fulfill some promise that was made. Jon will have to give her up. Jon being both ice and fire will be instrumental in bringing the two together in some way. The Night King started stirring at the same time as Dany, and as she moves north, he moves south. Ice and fire is a union, you might say, a marriage, of oppositions, and when the Night King gets his promised princess, balance will be gained.

But whatever happens, I don't think there will be a "final villain" such as Sauron in the LotR.

This is a question that has fascinated me since book1. I go back and forth with it, and as the pieces get discarded bit by bit by D&D I more and more feel as if Cersei will be the final villain . In a way GRRM has been a fan dancer ( wait, do we really want that picture in our minds?) who shows one part and then another, but I think that the supernatural elements have been a distraction all along, and the real story he has been telling has been the human one and their response to desires of various sorts, power, lust, love.

On 8/14/2017 at 4:11 PM, alienarea said:

Ideally, Cersei is killed in Ep 1 of Season 8 and raised by the Night's King in Ep 2.

The Night's King will be defeated in Ep 3 but it takes until Ep 5 for Jon to Kill Night Queen Cersei. He has to forge Lightbringer by stabbing Daenerys for it.

Ep 6 will be clean up.

This!!!

Since the NK is the morge urgent threat (especially once his army can move past the Wall), I think he will have to be addressed first. With the Walkers likely being impervious to any attempts at diplomacy (even though Jon was thinking about trying to talk through wights in ADWD), I think this fight will go to the wire and thus will have to be decisive.

Which may leave Cersei for last, in the show. As a mop-up operation.

Archived