What Are Your Choices For Best Horror Novels and short Short Stories ?

GAROVORKIN

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Survivor Type by Stephen King. 

Yes, this is pretty damn good. Definitely in my all-time top 3 horror shorts. It's published in King's Skeleton Crew, along with another couple of cracking stories: The Mist, and The Raft.

My favourite ever short story is Neil Gaiman's The Price.

In terms of horror novels, my all-time favourite is Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs.

Also, literally anything by Adam Nevill.

I will not mention classics and popular stuff like Anne Rice or Poe or Stephen King.

Hanns Heinz Ewers "Alraune". This novel is simply amazing. I recommend it for all who appreciate good horror literature. Also the short story by this writer "The Spider".

Algernon Blackwood "The Willows". It's a very creepy story.

Stories and novels by Poppy Z. Brite. "Lost Souls" and "Drawing Blood" are my favourites.

Cormac McCarthy "The Road".

John Fowles "The Collector"

Tales of E.T.A Hoffman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's very post-modern... it's a story in three layers.

The first layer is the main text, which is written as an academic analysis of videotapes made by a family. The author is a man named Zampano.

The second layer is the Navidson family (the subjects of  Zampano's academic writing) that moves into a new house that apparently has larger dimensions on the outside than it does on the inside... Not to mention one day the Navidsons return from vacation and an extra door has inexplicably appeared which leads into a dark hallway with no end. Zampano is able to document and analyze these events because they have innocently recorded everything on a camera.

The third layer is a young man, Johnny, that comes across this academic text when he breaks in to the recently deceased Zampano's apartment... which has measuring tapes attached to the floors and walls. He steals a trunk full of his academic writings (the book you're reading) and begins writing footnotes that document his own haunting experiences and slow deterioration of sanity after being exposed to the text.

I have chills just from writing all of this. I really haven't spoiled anything because much of it is completely left open to interpretation. It's extremely unsettling from start to finish. You experience one man's slow slip into what is either insanity or being haunted from reading the text, and you yourself are reading the same text he is.

---

The Croning by Laird Bannon.

Bannon is still in the early stages of his writing career. If you read his earlier short stories you can easily detect him growing as an author, so that's always a very positive sign to me. The Croning is not a perfect story, but it does have many scenes that are incredibly unsettling in a very Lovecraftian manner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Obsidian Knight said:

I will not mention classics and popular stuff like Anne Rice or Poe or Stephen King.

Hanns Heinz Ewers "Alraune". This novel is simply amazing. I recommend it for all who appreciate good horror literature. Also the short story by this writer "The Spider".

Algernon Blackwood "The Willows". It's a very creepy story.

Stories and novels by Poppy Z. Brite. "Lost Souls" and "Drawing Blood" are my favourites.

Cormac McCarthy "The Road".

John Fowles "The Collector"

Tales of E.T.A Hoffman

Excellent list.B)

I'm reading the Books of Blood by Clive Barker (volumes 1 to 5 are what I have) and they're pretty good. The stories are very diverse and some have unique themes that I haven't seen in other horror shorts/novels before. It's very reminiscent of Poe and MR James. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived