[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first rant here how much I laughed when Drogon approached Jon. His powerful dragon scream turned into a long fart. Have a listen. When even the tech department slips up, you know this show is going down the drain.

YES!!!!! I laughed so hard when I watched that scene because to me it sounded like someone deflating a balloon. Like when you blow one up and then pull the opening taught as the air escapes.

Either way, both styles are passing wind<<< See what I did there? I worked in the Winds of Winter, which is better than what the writer's can come up with.

There are several massive threads on the asoiaf reddit group.  I think the tide is turning on that board, Whereas before it was maybe 80/20 show supporters vs detractors, it's getting close to 50/50 now.  

I have complete confidence that 5 years from now overwhelming majority of the people will look at season 5+  as the equivalent of the Star Wars Prequels.

7 hours ago, iprayiam said:

I generally agree that the Tarly direction is ridiculous. BUT. Wasn't Sam's whole reason for being at the wall because his own father threatened to kill him if he didn't? (at least in the show).

If he was willing to murder his own son out of his inheritance, then he's not really set up as a guy who gives a crap about kin-slaying.

It was only a threat and Sam is well known as a coward. Whether he would've followed through, who knows. But, unlike Cersei he never actually committed the act.

4 hours ago, Hound's She-Wolf 2 said:

Tyrion had to see them go into the water, how did he not see them come out. Or send someone in after his brother.

The weird part was that it seemed like Tyrion was looking around for Larry's charred corpse at the beginning of this episode. At least that's the way I interpreted it. There's the "Tyrion questions Dany's penchant for burning things" storyline, but I interpreted him as being afraid of finding his dead brother on the battlefield. 

56 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

There are several massive threads on the asoiaf reddit group.  I think the tide is turning on that board, Whereas before it was maybe 80/20 show supporters vs detractors, it's getting close to 50/50 now.  

I have complete confidence that 5 years from now overwhelming majority of the people will look at season 5+  as the equivalent of the Star Wars Prequels.

I know! I was laughing at some very accurate comments on fan service and character reunions and how they're basically "We saw each other at X place!" or "My father said..." 

But then I ran into the people saying Feast was good because it was slow and nothing happened ("it was intentionally bad! Deconstruction!") and that ruined the fun. Oh, well. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Does Dany's camp even know about UnGregor? Technically, I don't think he died in the show, as he did in the books. Everyone still calls him Ser Gregor. 

Last time we saw his head it was blue-green... like as dead as anyone's head can be.

I think my biggest rant and rave, is simply the quality of the storytelling is nosediving.

The events of this season alone are like 3 previous seasons worth of content and time skips.... The entire show in general right now feels like, instead of being a long and rich story....  that you're reading a summary chapter of a Cliff Notes version of the events.

Mance was building his army to attack the wall in season 1.... We finally see him attack the wall by the end of Season 4...... Meanwhile Daenarys decides to move her entire army from Dragonstone to somewhere between The Reach or the Crownlands (along the Blackwater Rush) AND BACK AGAIN, within a single half episode.

Stannis decides to go just from Dragonstone to Castle Black, and the journey takes him an entire season....Meanwhile, Davos in this episode goes from Dragonstone, to King's landing, to Dragonstone, to Eastwatch in an single episode, and no character development is apparently happening at all during this time..... Jon has to have been gone for months at this point, and yet Arya and Sansa act like they've only spoken once since Arya returned home... It's just weak storytelling without GRRM writing it, and it really feels more like they're trying to rush and finish for a deadline, rather than give the story the justice it deserves.

11 hours ago, Deminelle said:
11 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I wonder how Euron is going to react when he finds out Cersei's pregnant. Will he care? Will this be a deal-breaker for him? Will he adopt the baby Lannister? 

Maybe we'll see a quick marriage arranged with Euron and he will think it's his.

In the show Cersei says to Jaime that she will tell everyone that baby is theirs. Yeah, the show is that stupid.

NCW trying to spin things, bless his heart:

And on top of that, there's that little tiny moment where he thinks, "Is this possible? Could I be allowed to be the father?" Because he's never really been allowed to be a father. He had that moment with Myrcella, the briefest of moments of feeling open about it, and now she's telling him that it won't be a secret. And so he's happy for maybe a millisecond before she goes ahead and ruins it by saying, "And don't ever betray me again." Suddenly, he's like, "Oh, that's right. It's Darth Vader. I forgot that I've been fucking Darth Vader." 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-nikolaj-coster-waldau-jaimes-emotional-news-1029300

I'll just put aside that the story makes no sense and enjoy that he called Cersei Darth Vader.

I think we should remember for a moment those poor Meereense Noble and poor Hizzy who was married to a monster

It isn't the first time she fed people to her dragons, used fire to kill people nor to force people on their knees (even to marry her). 

7 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

No way.  The vocal minority are at play.  Take a look at the rate threads.  The amount of posts lambasting the show usually outweigh the ones saying how good it is but the poll tells a drastically different story.  Those with something to complain about often make themselves appear to be in the majority.  Social media is full of confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, Ser Gareth said:

No way.  The vocal minority are at play.  Take a look at the rate threads.  The amount of posts lambasting the show usually outweigh the ones saying how good it is but the poll tells a drastically different story.  Those with something to complain about often make themselves appear to be in the majority.  Social media is full of confirmation bias.

Unfortunaly this. Gaps in logic are imho more obvious, so more viewers will complain, but most people still aren´t paying attention to such stuff.

15 hours ago, Snormund said:

I can't believe I didn't mention how crazy the wight hunt idea is.

I think I forgot that the others are marching as one army and that they were still wandering aimlessly and were disorganized. I was assuming that Jon and the gang were hoping to find a lone wight or white Walker in the forest like that time around Crasters. Even so that's an insane plan but they are desperate to prove it to Dany. Idk why they bother proving shit to Cersei she's done for or should be. Given that the dead are marching as one though how are 7 guys gonna do shit?

They are going to stab Thoros in the back when he's not looking and wait for him to turn into a wight.  It's the only reasonable plan.

3 hours ago, Denam_Pavel said:

My biggest petpeeve is Tyrion telling Tarly that he betrayed their real queen. The Tyrells were never their kings or queens, not before, during or after the Targaryans and the Baratheons had their time in the sun. And even if they did, Olenna isn't a Tyrell.

I believe he is talking about Margaery 

2 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Yes. Quality=/=popularity. There is nothing wrong in liking it for the pulp that it is, but there is no denying that it is no longer the high quality drama that it once was. More and more people who enjoyed it for that are turning against GoT, but that probably is and probably only ever was a fraction of the audience. The rest only ever wanted the cheap thrill with the added benefit of being able to claim that they were watching a show with great depth.

10 hours ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

Since showfans believe that with every season another year passes in the showverse (and since the writers let you believe that easily with all that travelling and I think even mentioning "the war of the 5 kingdom already lasts for 7years)  - it should be the year 304 now  -  so Little Sam should be about 5 by now ;o)

Samwell bursts out and says he's been for years at Citadel and the kid is still a toddler.

10 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Samwell bursts out and says he's been for years at Citadel and the kid is still a toddler.

That kid hasn't grown at all in the time it takes Sam to skin Jorah and regrow all of his skin to the point where it's fully healed with barely a scar. That alone should take a couple of years... My Unsullied friend suggested maybe Baby Sam has some genetic growth disorder from his parents being father and daughter?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ At this point it's more plausible than anything else that's been happening

18 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

A conversation picked up at the camp fire the first night after leaving Eastwatch by the Sea:

Clegane: So, king of the North, it seems you have fought this army of the dead before?

Jon: Yes, twice. Myself and Tormund, Him in much more battles.

Clegane: So tell me, King Snow, what expects us, how do we fight them, what is special about them?

Jon: As far as I  can tell, there are two kinds of foes. First there are the wights. And then there are the White Walkers. And the Night King of course.

Clegane: Tell me more.

Jon: Well, the wights, first of all. There are mayn of them, hundres, thousands, tens of thousands. They are hard to kill. If you cut of a limp, this limp will still fight. They are strong and feel no pain.

Clegane: What do you mean?

Jon: I fought one once in Castle Black. He had blue eyes, but his looks were well the looks of a ranger re-animated. I had a direwolf and a sword to fight him.

Clegane: And?

Well, I thrust the sword through his bowels but he still moved his hands to my throat and nearly throttled me, had the direwolf not saved me.

Clegane: And then he was dead, yes?

Jon: No, only after throwing fire at him, you can still see my burned hand.

Clegane: And the “White Walkers”?

Jon: Now that is a still more dangerous foe. Simple swords will not hold, but break when touching the sword of the others. It seems to freeze your own sword on the touch. The only chance to defeat them is with a sword made of Valyrian steel or with dragon glass. The wildlings never achieved to kill a white walker, right Tormund?

Tormund: You are right, as far as I know.

Jon: Oh, and of course your own amour means nothing, the weapon of the White Walkers goes through it like through silk.

Clegane. Sounds amusing. And the Night King?

Jon: Well, he sort of looks like the white walkers, but I never fought him directly. He has supernatural powers. By just raising his hands he can re-animate all fallen human foes to become wights within seconds. I do not know if he can be killed by dragon glass or Valyrian steel.

Clegane: And we want to do what: Catch a White Walker alive?

Jon: No that I think would be impossible. A wight sould suffice.

Clegane: So the plan is to catch a wight wondering all alone in the wild, without anyone else of the Dead Army noticing?

Jon: Ahem, little probability. They do not wander alone, as far as I know. They always march in big troops, many wights and some few White Walkers to lead them.

Clegane: Hmmm…. Thinking of all you said, our only hope is to be lucky and meet a small troupe of wights, capture one, kill the rest quickly, and make off fast, correct?

Jon: Precisely.

Clegane: So, let me guess. In order to get away fast, once we got the wight, we ned horses. Close fight is not recommended, neither for wights, nor for White Walkers. So, we put the fights on fire, kill the White Walkers with spears or arrows with dragonglass heads. As fas as I can see, only you have a Valyrian sword, so you could fight a White Walker at close range, if need be. Beric here, he can put his sord on fire, so if necessary, he could fight the wights at close range, but in any case range fight would be advisable.

Jon: Yes, that is a good summary.

Clegane: So, None of us has a bow, none a spear, where is the dragonglass?

Jon: [looking at Jorah Mormont]: Ahem Jorah, what about the box of dragonglass you put in the boat when we set off from Dragonstone?

Jorah: Well, your Grace, you told me to put this box into the boat, but what happened afterwards with it, I do not know. I never knew there was dragonglass in it, nor its use.

Clegane: So, I assume we meet a hundred horsed bowmen soon, who you should no doubt have had no problems to command to come to Eastwatch by raven, when we left Dragonstone. These hundred bowmen equipped with fire and dragonglass arrows will await us with some spare horses. And provisions of course, as we just ate what we had in our pockets, when leaving Eastwatch. Correct? And for sure, they have some ravens for Winterfell, Eatwatch and Dragonstone, in case we need to send  message for help or at least facing certain failure and death to inform about it?

Jon: Oh shit, I forgot about all that…

I would actually enjoy the show if this scene took place.

it needs to happen.  some character needs to stop the directionless momentum the plot has gathered, and lay out exactly what is happening.  between all the reunions and inexplicable military tactics/strategies at play, it would be nice for a "reset button" moment where all of these disparate characters with varied knowledge and understanding of their circumstances are unified in their purpose.  

of course, if they took the time to explain the situation, and gave any one of these characters the intelligence they once possessed, it would be a nonstop rabble-rabble-rabble of how stupid this whole "plan" truly is.

the only thing that saddens me more than the show's poor quality is listening to podcasts and reading reviews of "journalists" who still fawn over every little moment the show gives us.  this self-referential nonsense, hearkening back to a time when the show was actually good, serves only to remind me why i hate the show.  it's becoming LOST.  The show-runners cannibalizing their own canon because they haven't had a good idea since they thought to themselves, "hey, maybe i should read this book , A Game of Thrones"

Archived