[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

On 8/13/2017 at 10:30 PM, King Louis II (KLII) said:

the following words define this episode:

-lazy writing

-forced

-predictable

-meh

a) the Arya - Sansa scenes was so forced.... really, like "I know that you are trying to make us think that they will be against each others, just kill LF. Please have more creativity".

b). can 't you really make some effort to make a better escape for Jaime after FoF2?

c) So really,  but really ...  do you really think that it makes any sense to try to reason to Cersei about the AoD? Are you kidding me? At least Tyrion should be the first to say that this doesn't make any sense.

d) So let's see if I understand... they want to capture one of the zombies just to convince Danny and Cersei? Wouldn't be easy for Dany just to fly with one of the Dragons and see the army at a safe distance? 

I hate lazy writing because I take as an offense to people that really care about the show. It is becoming LOST all over again....

at first i thought Tyrion meant to "prove Cersei wrong" for the purpose of turning the people against her, since she is ignoring a bigger threay for her personal gain, and thus get Dany more support. but the they decide to kidnap a wight and bring it to her to get her, and her non existant army to fight with them???!!!

On 8/13/2017 at 10:31 PM, no_one_... said:

Sam continuing to get dumber in the Citadel.  She tells him a Prince goes to Dorne for an Annulment in secret (though she doesn't say his name correctly) and he doesn't think to check the name etc.  He's researching the War of the 5 Kings which he would have known would have started b/c a Prince ran off with a Stark lady ... .  I realize this doesn't directly tie into his mission, but he is best friends w/Jon and all.

this is what started Robert's Rebellion.

6 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Ha ha ha yes! :)

Jon was working on the Making Friends badge with Drogon, I guess. Don't forget Ghost!

Wow, while Boy Scouts are learning how to skin a full sized polar bar using only a table spoon and stick of gum, Girl Scouts are making friends! :D

I just realized something. I got suspended from this website for calling GRRM a name for the troll he pulled a few weeks ago on his website. The reason was that "this is a GRRM fan site". If so, why does the travesty of a show have billing AHEAD OF THE BOOKS on the forum homepage? 

22 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

I just realized something. I got suspended from this website for calling GRRM a name for the troll he pulled a few weeks ago on his website. The reason was that "this is a GRRM fan site". If so, why does the travesty of a show have billing AHEAD OF THE BOOKS on the forum homepage? 

What was the troll?

32 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

During the show's airing the show-part of the forum is pushed to the top, because otherwise a lot of first-time people wander onto the website and start posting show-threads in the book-forum section, where discussing the show is not allowed (plenty of book readers who don't watch the abomination and don't want to know what happens). When the season's over, the book forum will be put to the top again.

5 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

During the show's airing the show-part of the forum is pushed to the top, because otherwise a lot of first-time people wander onto the website and start posting show-threads in the book-forum section, where discussing the show is not allowed (plenty of book readers who don't watch the abomination and don't want to know what happens). When the season's over, the book forum will be put to the top again.

Very good explanation and reasonable practice.

I don't watch the show anymore, I just have fun following the critical analyses, but as I understood, Sam leaves Maester School saying, "I'm tired of reading about the achievements of better men". It just made me think about Isaac Newton's words, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants", because they are the opposite of what the show seems to consider the appropriate inspiration for Sam, ie Randyll Tarly's narrow minded view of the world: "You've managed to stay soft and fat; your nose buried in books. Spending your life reading about the achievements of better men. I'd wager you still can't sit a horse, or wield a sword." 

None of the arguments that "this will or will not happen in the books" matter. This shitty show is the only conclusion we are going to get, not the books. Maaaybe we'll get TWoW but keep on dreaming about Spring. This is the "Bittersweet Ending", that we don't really get an ending from the books but from the show. 

George has told them the Broad Strokes, they are stumbling and adopting these Broad Strokes while making shit up in between for shock value, gratuitous nudity and profanity, wanking their views on feminity (Butchering on Brienne, who is not a crass killer that we see on HBO), redemption (Jamie) , and a lot of other things.

So we will get the 'what happenes in ASOIAF', and not 'how it happens'. The 'how' part is the genius of George's beautiful writing, and sadly we will not get that.

16 hours ago, Illiterati said:

What was the troll?

The picture of Valyria on his website saying, "Alas, alas, that great city Valyria, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come" while disabling comments. Many thought this might be comparable to the "Kong" post he made when ADwD was finished. 

Instead he waited some time to come on and basically bash anyone who thought that may have been the news we have all been waiting for and instead announced some other history book about the Targaryans being just about finished. 

16 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Fair enough. Didn't notice that.

So finally some of the critics who were lapping up the show until very recently and proclaiming D&D geniuses seem to be coming around and slowly making snide remarks about the show. Most of them are still apologetic but are finally beginning to admit the plot holes in the show (which anyone with half a brain would have seen were the size of craters on Mars for several seasons now). It's funny how some of these critics (looking at you NYT, New Yorker) hated the show in the first couple of seasons when the show was actually good and made narrative sense and when it became the abomination it is now, they started praising it. It all boils down to a herd mentality of let's say it's great because a zillion people watch it and all our other colleagues are raving about it.

5 hours ago, caprico4 said:

None of the arguments that "this will or will not happen in the books" matter. This shitty show is the only conclusion we are going to get, not the books. Maaaybe we'll get TWoW but keep on dreaming about Spring.

I read an article saying he was writing both at the same time & will publish when he has finished so we either will get both or neither. Not sure if anyone who knows more can confirm.

Seriously tho why does he keep writing history books. They aren't the easiest of reads with the dry narrative. It's all a bit lazy.

1 hour ago, Tinker Tanner said:

Are they seriously not taking dragonglass with them beyond the wall after they were seen taking crates of it out of the cave during the Gendry n Jon scene??? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until i see ep6 though because I'm trying to focus on the positive this season.

And Gendry is a blacksmith. He could have made a couple  of dragonglass enhanced weapons.

On 8/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, george said:

Once the writers cut off Gilly the scene became meaningless other the writers telling us "hey fans, we haven't forgotten about this!".  R+L=J is the single biggest piece of information in the show we know of and the writers threw it in the garbage can with things like logic and chronology only for them to pick it out later covered in coffee grounds and a half-eaten apple.

It's a little nod to those "in the know," but I think the idea was for most of the audience not to recognize what a Huge Deal it is. For them, the scene is about Sam being bummed out by college and wanting to skip town. They'll know the annulment means something, but probably not that it could determine the whole endgame of the show. 

It will be revisited and expanded upon, obviously. To those in the know like you, it will feel like something they retrieved from the garbage. The hope is that for others it will be an "Oh yeah, I remember that" moment. Ding and Dong want for them to feel like the story has been carefully crafted, instead of a bunch of stuff thrown together in a breakneck rush to the finish. 

I struggle to bear in mind that this show isn't written for viewers with my level of information, and I haven't even read any of the books. 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:11 AM, Deminelle said:

Samwell never said where he was going, did he?

No, but he was wearing his Night's Watch outfit wasn't he?

I assume Sam'll end up at Winterfell so he can tell Jon about the annulment. That's assuming Jon will get back to Winterfell this season. Maybe they both go back Dragonstone?

Knowing this show, they'll do the most annoying thing possible and have Sam figure out Jon's parentage without Jon finding out about it until next season. 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:33 PM, 7th-key said:

I don't watch the show anymore, I just have fun following the critical analyses, but as I understood, Sam leaves Maester School saying, "I'm tired of reading about the achievements of better men". It just made me think about Isaac Newton's words, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants", because they are the opposite of what the show seems to consider the appropriate inspiration for Sam, ie Randyll Tarly's narrow minded view of the world: "You've managed to stay soft and fat; your nose buried in books. Spending your life reading about the achievements of better men. I'd wager you still can't sit a horse, or wield a sword." 

I sympathize with your point, but the context of Sam dropping out of school is that the time for action is nigh. Bran envisioned the Army of the Dead marching on Eastwatch now! The Royal Society isn't the Night's Watch, and the laws of motion and calculus didn't stab any Ice Demon to death. 

Archived