[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

14 minutes ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

Oh YES - please do!

Yup. Classic daytime television. I am waiting for a cunning love triangle - until Daario shows up again .. making it a "love square" or a "love quadrangle"?!

Wait, I think it already is, they are hinting that Tyrion wants in on the Dany Dating Game, too.

6 minutes ago, Anarres said:

Arya's mistake is thinking home is a safe place. Given her experiences, can one blame a young girl? I think it's perfectly in-character for her to let her guard down in Winterfell, among family no less.

The assassins work best when nobody knows they're there or what they look like. But Arya's dumb showing off with her list and her sparring with Brienne is like sending a huge warning to everyone who's even barely paying attention - which Baelish most certainly is.

But Arya never thinks that home is safe. The moment she came, well, in this episode, she started questioning everyone and accusing Sansa of betrayal, with the lovely "off with the heads" dialogue. She never let her guard down, she was just bested by LF. Because she acted exactly as he would have expected.

2 hours ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

All of them - pretty useless by now.

But hey: Greyworm had sex, so he can die soon.

Because they cut so many storyarcs of the actual books, but kept the characters whose arcs they cut, these characters have literally nothing to do in the show anymore other than standing next to one of the mad queens like a sexy smouldering vase most of the time (Larry = the artist formerly known as Jaime), smirking and leaning against some wall in Winterfell (Baelish) maybe trying to blend into said wall like a chameleon, sitting somewhere smiling approvingly whenever an empowered Northern brat talks about girl power (Brienne), replacing Ghost as Jon's ever present pet wolf (Davos), or still being alive with nothing real to do (Beric), standing with one's hands hidden away in their coat looking somehow way too tanned and not being the useful, very well informed Spider they used to be (Varys) etc.

I find The Hound, Gendry and even Qyburn pretty irrelevant too.

In that case, I'd say Bronn and Jorah also have become irrelevant. For obvious reasons I forgot to mention Edmure. 

Sam has been relevant throughout this season, but I fear his relevance is running a little thin.

39 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Please, this has nothing to do with that. No one in the books is going to make the bastard king. This is, thankfully, a feudal society where trueborn children inherit. And thankfully Rickon and Sansa and Arya are still around, eligible to inherit. A scenario like this 'King in the North' travesty is never going to happen in the books.

:) Missed ya LV.  So, it has nothing to do with Jon hate....But a couple sentences later the books are "thankfully" a society wherein trueborns inherit.  Why thankfully?  If you look at the situation in the show, isn't Jon most equipped to rule?  I find your surety Jon not being named KitN in a somewhat similar fashion dubious at best.  Sansa is his only true rival in that regard - even if Rickon survives surely there will be a regent.  We'll, hopefully, see.

46 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Secret annulments and secret marriages do not exist. They are worth nothing. And the High Septon doesn't live in Dorne. And annulment would mean that his children by Elia retroactively become bastards. That's pretty much ridiculous.

Well, I think it's cavalier to say secret annulments/marriages don't exist, but they certainly do mean nothing among among the nobility.  As for the rest, yep.

51 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If Rhaegar and Lyanna did marry they would have done it publicly.

I'm not sure "publicly" is the correct description, but they would have made sure it could be widely known.  Otherwise what's the point.

53 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm not even sure they ever mentioned the Conqueror's polygamy in the show. Did they?

They have certainly mentioned both Visenya and Rhaenys.  I don't recall if they ever explicitly mentioned the polygamy, but I assume that's assumed?  That's a weird sentence to write.

11 minutes ago, Anarres said:

Arya's mistake is thinking home is a safe place. Given her experiences, can one blame a young girl? I think it's perfectly in-character for her to let her guard down in Winterfell, among family no less.

The assassins work best when nobody knows they're there or what they look like. But Arya's dumb showing off with her list and her sparring with Brienne is like sending a huge warning to everyone who's even barely paying attention - which Baelish most certainly is.

Yep, the assassin's main weapon is his anonymity. Hopefully her face changing skill is something which might be an ace for her

10 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Wait, I think it already is, they are hinting that Tyrion wants in on the Dany Dating Game, too.

Shame Dickon was burned alive. And that Jaime is still into Cersei. Can you imagine the drama ensuing from those emotions? Plus, the fight would be awesome. A melee for Dany.

Let we also not forget the hunky Baratheon bastard :D 

59 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

What makes the whole thing suck is that this supposedly happened in Dorne and that it remained 'secret' and that a High Septon was involved. Secret annulments and secret marriages do not exist. They are worth nothing. And the High Septon doesn't live in Dorne. And annulment would mean that his children by Elia retroactively become bastards. That's pretty much ridiculous.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Faith_of_the_Seven

Check the section on Marriage Customs.  Apparently annulments can happen on the request of only one of the wedded parties without the other present, and Kings can also set aside their queen for another, even after they have had children together.

So, there's that. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, jezzie_bell said:

Check the section on Marriage Customs.  Apparently annulments can happen on the request of only one of the wedded parties without the other present, and Kings can also set aside their queen for another, even after they have had children together.

But Rhaegar was not a king at the time he requested, and evidently got, an annulment.

6 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

But Rhaegar was not a king at the time he requested, and evidently got, an annulment.

Very true.  Also a bit dickish to end your marriage without letting the wife know.

18 minutes ago, jezzie_bell said:

Still, it is crazy to think that no one knew that Lyanna and Rhaegar were married when in fact he got the annulment and got married. PLUS, there is a record in Citadel/ How in fact that remained a secret is beyond any logic? Not to mention that Rhaegar didn't have any reasons for annulment. The marriage was consummated, he had heir. There is no reason for HIgh Septon to give him annulment, unless of course we count reasons.

- So men can be bros, even when they have pretty horrible issues to chew on (Jaime/Tyrion, Davos/Tyrion, Jon/Hound,
Gendry/Beric/Thoros) because they can reign in their emotions, but women, actual sisters Arya and Sansa, have to bitch at
each other because...right, no, it makes no sense.

- Annulment ...what? A) I don't think you can annull a marriage that has been consummated and without the other party agreeing to it,
and B_) Rhaegar was neither the king nor the head of house Targaryen, so he didn't have the authority to annull his own
marriage anyway. Unless Aerys agreed, which I doubt. Then again I wouldn't put it past the show for little Sam to find a
royal decree among his diapers that says otherwise.

- Minor nitpick because I've seen it a few times now on twitter and reddit: no, Sam is not going to be the Lord of the
Reach now, and house Tarly has not died with Dickon. There is still Sam's sister, who is the Lady Tarly now.

- It's already been mentioned in this thread but it's ridiculous that the only army that doesn't need food, sleep, or
training is the one that's been shuffling around beyond the wall for seven seasons now, while every other army has been
zapping across the continent. I don't think 8 episodes is going to be enough to warrant the buildup of the White Walkers
and, sadly, I have the suspicion that's also going to be true in the books.

- I'm sure I'm not alone when I say GoT feels like a chore rather than a pleasure. It has for some time, tbh.

25 minutes ago, jezzie_bell said:

Kings can set aside their wives, yes, and that apparently seems to something akin to a divorce. The wife is just gone thereafter, something that is not that difficult and even possible when children are around. Cersei fears that Robert might intend to get rid of her in this fashion, and Renly actually plans to replace her with Margaery.

But Rhaegar was just a prince and an annulment means that the marriage never happened, which means any children from this non-existing marriage are bastards. And that makes no sense for Rhaegar.

If Rhaegar married Lyanna he would have thought he could get away with/try bigamy as the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel did. A couple of First Men kings also had many wives. The idea that Rhaegar really wanted to rid himself of his own children in light of the fact that he thought his son Aegon was the promised prince is ridiculous.

Very minor continuity point, but.... Jon hugely exclaims how he thought that Bran is dead... Yet few episodes earlier he confirmed to Dany he lost two brothers.

Isn´t it adorable how Sam, annoyed by the shit montage as we were, punished for ... curing the greyscale...realizes that screenwriters don´t know what else to do with Citadel (except for his three tasks) and comes to the same conclusion about maesters as Randyll (RIP)? Father knows best, I guess.

The Teleportation is getting out of control. Jaime travelling from the Reach to Kingslanding in what seemed like an hour. Jon arriving at eastwatch and this all whilst the white walkers (an army that doesn't need to eat or rest) are taking more than 5 episodes to travel from the lands of always winter to the wall.  

7 hours ago, The Knight of Flours said:

Opening scene was the biggest groan.  All of those saying "if they bob up a mile down the river after holding their breaths for an hour, I'll never watch again" need to come up with a new excuse..

Exactly!  If they bobbed up and down surely they would have been spotted by Daenerys or one of her Dothraki warriors.   The guy who just tried to kill the queen was thrown into the water by his sidekick and NO ONE THOUGHT TO LOOK WHETHER/WHERE THEY WOULD SURFACE?  There is absolutely no believable explanation for Bronn and Jamie getting away.

This whole plan of retrieving a zombie from beyond the wall just to convince Cersei is so mind-blowingly stupid I don't even know what to say. That last part of them just marching north, Jon and his merry band of 6, by foot with no horses... what the fuck do they expect? How high are their chances of escaping a hoard of zombies do they think? Jesus fucking Christ.

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Shame Dickon was burned alive. And that Jaime is still into Cersei. Can you imagine the drama ensuing from those emotions? Plus, the fight would be awesome. A melee for Dany.

Let we also not forget the hunky Baratheon bastard :D 

Oha. D&D would call that "The War for Dany's Ladygarden" (yes, they would use the c-word, but I wanted to be poetic):wub:

Is it just me, or whenever someone says "Army of the Dead", you want to start laughing?

"Army of the Dead" is something I would expect to hear in a movie like Zombieland. Just imagine that Jesse Eisenberg is trying to impress Emma Stone, then Woody Harrelson comes and mentions the Army of the Dead and Jesse Eisenberg shits his pants in front of Emma Stone. Everyone starts laughing.

Wtf was wrong with Wight Walkers? "Army of the dead" does not belong in a fantasy series as grand as ASOIAF. It doesn't even belong in a kid's story. I can't imagine Old Nan ever trying to scare the Stark Kids with "Army of the dead". Arya would have laughed.

Archived