[Spoilers] EP705 Discussion

Ran

55 minutes ago, Ser Meryn Frey said:

How enormously ridiculous that Jaime survived AND swimmed a mile in full plate armor. Seriously. What the F is this?

I do appreciate people's frustrations re teleportation or whatever; still I would hate it way more if the series couldn't reach its plot conclusion or dragged on like 20 series of episodes for it to be all logical and say Jaime or whoever being accompanied by servants and bannermen etc stopping at taverns when it is raining and so on...

I guess the smart thing would be to show the pass of the time in another way, so that the viewers could see that time had passed but honestly, how would you guys really do it without the "teleport" and still stick to a lot of unfinished plots that need dealing with???

Edited by Morgana Lannister

9 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

lol. Nothing Dany did equates to her being a mad queen. She executed two traitors after giving them a chance to not only bend the knee but take the black as well.

I have never bought into the "Dany is mad" theory, and I still don't, but Dany IS straight up delusional. She seems to genuinely believe that she's in Westeros to end the wheel of oppression or what the fuck ever, while initially keeping a king prisoner because his people chose him to lead them, refusing t aid the North against a mythical threat for not bending the knee to her and burning people alive for not pledging to her. She buys into her own propaganda and is incapable of seeing the difference between what she's saying and what she's doing. She is unstable as shown on the show, just not the way her father was.

Ellaria and the Sand Snakes were traitors, Yara and Theon are traitors, Olenna became a traitor the day she poisoned Joffrey at his own wedding. For a woman who goes on about her birthright, she sure as shit doesn't care about the right of succession unless she benefits from it. Dany is a hypocrite through and through.

38 minutes ago, LyannaStargaryen said:

So Jon is legit.  No biggie.

It provides the interlocking mirror effect that Martin so enjoys: now one of Jon's grandfathers slew the other.

There are lots of things like that. Another that's virtually certain now is that Jon grew up thinking he was bastard but secretly wasn't, while Tyrion grew up thinking he was not a bastard but secretly was.

One more is that Jaime slew Tyrion's father while Tyrion slew Jaime's father. 

Martin likes stuff like this. Look for more of it. He's planned all this from the beginning.

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I never said it was but executing traitors is not a sign of amdness, especially when you gave them two options to live one of which didn't require them bending the knee.

Traitors?  They weren't Traitors. The ones who bent knee to Dany are traitors, to their house and to their queen. 

She has effectively enslaved those men.  Fight for me (because they want to, right Missandie?) or die burned to cinders by dragonfire.  

Edited by Lurid Jester

8 minutes ago, Risto said:

Yes. It must be the letter Sansa wrote to Robb to surrender to Joffrey after Ned was imprisoned.

Oh, boy... The Stark sisters... It was void of any logical thought.

To me it seems to be an easy explanation on Sansa's part, she figuratively had a knife to her throat while writing it. Geez, even Cat and Robb knew that the instant they got the note. Now Arya's not that stupid and would and should comprehend Sansa's scenario at the time. 

Spoiler

This is the easiest plot device to add suspense once they reveal that Arya and Sansa will be working a setup on LF rather than vice versa.

1 hour ago, Pandean said:

Okay am I the only one who thinks Arya is being a bitch

She annoyed me bigtime during this episode.  Doesn't Sansa have enough to worry about without Arya pestering her to cut off some heads?  Sansa might have thoughts of taking power if Jon dies, but I really don't think she's seriously considering betraying him.  And she is wise not to alienate the bannermen who are just grumbling respectfully rather than doing a "Queen In The North!" rebellion...

Edited by Raksha 2014

I don't think that the Reach men or any of them are traitors. They're defending their home against a foreign invader. Randyll Tarly, great prick that he is, made a lot of sense.

I don't think we can say that those who fight for the current Iron Throne are traitors. THEY are the ones defending their home from what they know to be a foreign invader.

The North are traitors. Olenna, Yara, Theon, the Sand Snakes, those guys are technically the traitors.

That doesn't mean they are the bad guys. But they technically are traitors.

Robb Stark WAS a traitor because he rebelled against the Iron Throne. Did he have good reason? Yes. But technically speaking; he rebelled against the Iron Throne and was proclaimed King. That is a traitor.

Even so, I think Dany is really going to need to learn how to deal with diplomacy and be a ruler because all I've seen in her whole tenure as a character was her showing brute force and power. It's really funny how people wax poetic about her kind heart and justice--and she believes her own propaganda. Dany is not inheritantly a better ruler. TBH, she's pretty awful at the entire thing.

I'm sorry, but just because your daddy sat on a throne doesn't mean that people who have never known you, have fought and served for their entire life in one country, who see you come in with a foreign army and burn people alive, will have any reason to fight for you.

19 minutes ago, The Knight of Flours said:

ikr - they running out of iconic phrases from the books

I might have called this one 'Blood of the Dragon' (a - to worry people about Drogon's fate & B)B) the Targ themes in this ep - inc Gendry & maybe c) a few females were real dragons)

Oh that's right: I forgot Gendry is a dragonseed, since Robert and Rhaegar were second cousins.

1 minute ago, tmug said:

To me it seems to be an easy explanation on Sansa's part, she figuratively had a knife to her throat while writing it. Geez, even Cat and Robb knew that the instant they got the note. Now Arya's not that stupid and would and should comprehend Sansa's scenario at the time. 

Reveal hidden contents

This is the easiest plot device to add suspense once they reveal that Arya and Sansa will be working a setup on LF rather than vice versa.

I swear this reminds me on one of the Gossip Girls episode where Serena and Blair played was it Juliette into thinking she is turning one against the other. If anyone remembers it better, I swear it will look like that.

2 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

She annoyed me bigtime during this episode.  Doesn't Sansa have enough to worry about without Arya pestering her to cut off some heads?  Sansa might have thoughts of taking power if Jon dies, but I really don't think she's seriously considering betraying him.  And she is wise not to alienate the bannermen who are just making grumbling respectfully rather than doing a "Queen In The North!" rebellion...

I honestly thought Sansa was doing a pretty fine job at handling the bannermen too

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

The North are traitors. Olenna, Yara, Theon, the Sand Snakes, those guys are technically the traitors.

No, they are not. The dynasty they were sworn to, Baratheons, died with Tommen. None of them sworn allegiance to Cersei as the Queen, hence they are not traitors.

19 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Another thought about Drogon and Jon: It could make you re-think the scene from last season where Tyrion removes the collars from Rhaegel and Viscerion. I assumed they didn't roast him because they wanted the collars off. But perhaps they, like Drogon with Jon, recognized Targaryen blood in Tyrion.

That always seemed obvious to me: it's showing that both have Targaryen fathers. Nobody else gets to pet the dragon :)