[Spoilers] EP705 Discussion

Ran

I hope that the book don't ride with that  lame-ass cockamamie story about Rhaegar and Elia having a secret annulment. That was somehow recorded in the Citadel records for any maester to see. Damn D&D you could at least be clever.

Edited by DarkerStar

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

Oh crap.  Never bought into the mad queen theory until now. 

Yeah it's getting harder to ignore. If not mad, then angry and foolish.

Killing Dickon was a really bad move. A smart leader would kill the father and keep the son prisoner. She has no idea what their house contributes to the realm. She has not taken one bit of time to learn how the realm operates and who she should try to keep alive. 

2 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Killing Dickon was a really bad move. A smart leader would kill the father and keep the son prisoner. She has no idea what their house contributes to the realm. She has not taken one bit of time to learn how the realm operates and who she should try to keep alive. 

Can Dany or Jon relieve Sam of his vows at the Wall? Sam becomes Lord of Horn Hill, an intelligent Lord, loyal to the crown at that.

3 minutes ago, DarkerStar said:

I hope that the book don't ride with that  lame-ass cockamamie story about Rhaegar and Elia having a secret annulment. That was somehow recorded in the Citadel records for any maester to see. Damn D&D you could at least be clever.

Oh, I imagine they will. It's hardly unheard of historically for a king to get his marriage annulled if his wife went barren, as Elia did. People forget how much Martin likes to pluck things out of the history books. It doesn't matter whether it's there for any maester to see; there was to have been no issue from that union at least as far as they were aware of, so it didn't matter at all.

4 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I don't think she cares to learn

She's shown she can conquer but she very rarely learns and accepts the ways of the people she conquers in a way that makes her seem like she respects them

Just now, Dragons dance with Wolves said:

Can Dany or Jon relieve Sam of his vows at the Wall? Sam becomes Lord of Horn Hill, an intelligent Lord, loyal to the crown at that.

Short answer, yes. 

Kings/Queens can pretty much do whatever they want.  Legitimize bastards (Gendry Baratheon, which I'm expecting to happen eventually), absolve brothers of the Nights Watch of their vow (Robb was going to pull Jon from the wall so he could be his heir), or have children with their brother. :)

I mean I really want to call the squad "Inglorious Bastards" since Jon, Gendry and Tormund are there (we know Jon isn't a bastard but they don;t) but the rest of them (apart from maybe Thoros) are not bastards. Also that name is taken.

P.S. I think Tormund is a bastard? Wildlings don't get married do they? I remember a line from one of the books which Ygritte told Jon about Wildling couples but I can't quite remember what it was.

Just now, The Baelish Mockingbird said:

I mean I really want to call the squad "Inglorious Bastards" since Jon, Gendry and Tormund are there (we know Jon isn't a bastard but they don;t) but the rest of them (apart from maybe Thoros) are not bastards. Also that name is taken.

P.S. I think Tormund is a bastard? Wildlings don't get married do they? I remember a line from one of the books which Ygritte told Jon about Wildling couples but I can't quite remember what it was.

They are all bastards in their father's eyes one way or another...

:D 

3 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Oh, I imagine they will. It's hardly unheard of historically for a king to get his marriage annulled if his wife went barren, as Elia did. People forget how much Martin likes to pluck things out of the history books. It doesn't matter whether it's there for any maester to see; there was to have been no issue from that union at least as far as they were aware of, so it didn't matter at all.

Rhaegar had a male heir though. I could see that being the case if Elia had only given him daughters like Henry VIII but Rhaegar had a son and a younger brother at this time and an annulment makes the 2 kids he has already bastards.

13 minutes ago, DarkerStar said:

Rhaegar had a male heir though. I could see that being the case if Elia had only given him daughters like Henry VIII but Rhaegar had a son and a younger brother at this time and an annulment makes the 2 kids he has already bastards.

But we know that he was trying to give birth to the Prince that was promised... at least in the books we did

12 minutes ago, DarkerStar said:

Yeah, I don't get the annulment thing.  Makes more sense for Rhaegar to go the polygamy route (which maybe he does in the books).  

I guess his love of Lyanna was just that great.  

8 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Yeah, I don't get the annulment thing.  Makes more sense for Rhaegar to go the polygamy route (which maybe he does in the books).  

I guess his love of Lyanna was just that great.  

They are embellishing for plot purposes.  I also expect him to have gone the polygamy route in the Books. 

26 minutes ago, Dragons dance with Wolves said:

I wonder whether it will matter.  What's the endgame here?  By the end there will be some significant upheavals.  Will the threat to the North still exist?  If it does will the Night's Watch continue in its current form?  Jon, more than anyone, knows that when the need came the Night's Watch was not adequate to meet the threat they faced so will they be rethought? 

1 hour ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I had to giggle when Gendry pointed out that Jon is short; since Jon is actually half an inch taller than Gendry.  

I think it was a callback to Season 1 when Robert and Ned meet and Robert says to Ned: You've gotten fat !

Jon says to Gendry: You're leaner !

49 minutes ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

Sam brother and father both died

In the same episode, his gives up becoming a maester

They set up everything for him to be the Next Lord of Horn Hill...at least in the show

D&D had to move him on before Horn Hill became vacant or else it would stand to reason he could best help Jon by taking his place there.

At this point, the Nights Watch doesn't exist in any meaningful form. 

46 minutes ago, DarkerStar said:

We don't know if it was before the mad king disinherited Rheagar. It may not have concerned him.

The polygamy thing is nonsense, always was. It certainly won't be in the books. Folk peddling that are the same folk who think Stannis wouldn't burn Shireen. It was obvious she was a gonner when Red Mel burned the idols.

Technically, Jon Targaryen still has not been confirmed in universe. Season 6 have us the "Tower of Joy" scenes were we know that a son was born to Lyanna, but we don't get a name. This episode gives us a Prince Rhaegar anullment and secret marriage, but doesn't tell us who the new wife is. It's 99% there but everything still hasn't been revealed.

Personally, I just want them to come and confirm the worst kept secret in Westeros. I hate this tidbits and stalling tactics.