[Spoilers] EP705 Discussion

Ran

4 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

Technically, Jon Targaryen still has not been confirmed in universe. Season 6 have us the "Tower of Joy" scenes were we know that a son was born to Lyanna, but we don't get a name. This episode gives us a Prince Rhaegar anullment and secret marriage, but doesn't tell us who the new wife is. It's 99% there but everything still hasn't been revealed.

Personally, I just want them to come and confirm the worst kept secret in Westeros. I hate this tidbits and stalling tactics.

D&D and HBO meant for the tower of Joy seen to confirm Rheagar as the father as HBO made an info graphic shortly after that episode explicitly saying rhaegar is father to Jon. 

17 minutes ago, nymeria_2321 said:

D&D and HBO meant for the tower of Joy seen to confirm Rheagar as the father as HBO made an info graphic shortly after that episode explicitly saying rhaegar is father to Jon. 

I don't consider the info graphic to be canon.

3 hours ago, Ser Meryn Frey said:

How enormously ridiculous that Jaime survived AND swimmed a mile in full plate armor. Seriously. What the F is this?

3 hours ago, Ser Meryn Frey said:

How enormously ridiculous that Jaime survived AND swimmed a mile in full plate armor. Seriously. What the F is this?

Plus he did it with one real hand and a 20 pound gold one too!!!

2 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

The Brave Companions?  What?  It's taken already?  Crap. 

Snow's Seven Swordsmen.  What?  Oh, right. gendry has a hammer.

Friends of the Snow?

I like "The Snowmen" .  I do like the way the group was assembled from faces from the past. Giggled at Tormund asking after Brienne and Jon's smile.

I'm glad they brought Gendry back, but I wish Tyrion had noticed he looked like a young Robert. 

Dany looked genuinely pleased to see Jorah, which made me happy.  That last look he gave her and the hand-kissing tell me he's a goner next week.  I hope it's a good death.

1 hour ago, DarkerStar said:

I hope that the book don't ride with that  lame-ass cockamamie story about Rhaegar and Elia having a secret annulment. That was somehow recorded in the Citadel records for any maester to see. Damn D&D you could at least be clever.

58 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Yeah, I don't get the annulment thing.  Makes more sense for Rhaegar to go the polygamy route (which maybe he does in the books).  

I guess his love of Lyanna was just that great.  

The annulment thing made me livid.  Elia was brutally raped and murdered protecting their children and Rhaegar had already annulled their marriage?  Where would an annulment have left baby Aegon, who was Rhaegar's heir, and Rhaenys?  I have never liked Rhaegar and this just made me furious. I agree that polygamy would have been better.  Or why couldn't Jon just have been a bastard?  Now he is the rightful heir (from Targ perspective) so it will get interesting when Dany finds out.

Arya annoyed the heck out of me in this episode.  She was terrible to Sansa and needs to grow up.  I do like that LF outsmarted her.  It's about time he was good for something.

I felt sorry for the Tarlys, despite how mean Randyll was to Sam.  But I don't get why he would stay loyal to Cersei--that seemed unrealistic.  Now, if Cersei held Dickon as a hostage, that would be another thing.  And all I could think of was that "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword".  It didn't feel right that Drogon killed them, but I guess that's Dany's version of doing it herself.

I really enjoyed the Jaime/Tyrion meeting, and I really felt for both of them. I still think it would have been better with the Tysha reveal.

Cersei preggers!   It makes me wonder if GRRM is going there with Cersei's tight clothes in AFFC. Her comment to Jaime about betrayal made no sense since he didn't do that and she knows he didn't.  But I guess this is her descent into madness. I like this twist, but I feel bad that the baby will die too when she gets her comeuppance.

3 hours ago, Pandean said:

Thank the gods. I was like "What the fuck is with her?"

Like...my gods I'm so glad she's not in charge 

Now I can laugh in people's faces when they say Arya would've been a better lady of Winterfell 

ALSO GENDRY 

Man, that hammer

SO many reunions and throwbacks this episode

Ok if you paused and read the note she found, it is the Raven that Cersei forced her to send asking the Starks to bend the knee to Joffery. LF is going to get Sansa to discredit Jon, take over the North and then discredit Sansa with the note. With  a view to taking kingship of the North for himself.   Arya realizes that Sansa is at least unwittingly willing to assist in the discredit of Jon as she actually wants to be QITN.  Arya reslizes this and her loyalty is to Jon.  So LF is toast and Sansa is on thin ice, and rightly so....

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

Yeah, I don't get the annulment thing.  Makes more sense for Rhaegar to go the polygamy route (which maybe he does in the books).  

I guess his love of Lyanna was just that great.  

Not if Rheagar's motivation was partially in prophecy. Then making his child with Lyanna a prince/heir apparent is important. 

I think this is one where we all overthought it when the simplest explanation was the correct one. Rheagar fell madly for Lyanna, they ran off, he had a maester take orders to anull his current marriage so he could marry her thinking that their offspring was some prophetic savior. 

32 minutes ago, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

Ok if you paused and read the note she found, it is the Raven that Cersei forced her to send asking the Starks to bend the knee to Joffery. LF is going to get Sansa to discredit Jon, take over the North and then discredit Sansa with the note. With  a view to taking kingship of the North for himself.   Arya realizes that Sansa is at least unwittingly willing to assist in the discredit of Jon as she actually wants to be QITN.  Arya reslizes this and her loyalty is to Jon.  So LF is toast and Sansa is on thin ice, and rightly so....

That seems pretty far-fetched tbh

31 minutes ago, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

I did wonder about the wording. Was it Cersei's or Sansa's? Either way, Arya knows that Sansa was captured and can guess it was written under duress.

One complication being that Arya has not had any real experience of plots. Her approach has been to kill people dead as a precaution.

Also, did people notice the line 'how many queens?'. There are four in the books at one point. So it would not really be surprising if Sansa becomes QITN.

I thought the episode was pretty fun overall, for what it is at this point.  In particular, Davos' scenes are great, and the whole process of putting together the Magnificent/Suicidal Seven was quite enjoyable.  

Arya confronting Sansa confounded my expectations on how they'd tease some tension before LF is killed.  It'd be interesting if Arya consulted Bran in the remaining two episodes.

Gilly finding Rhaegar's annulment is apt to piss off book purists for all the right reasons.  Ridiculous on all counts.  The Jaime-Tyrion conversation was meh.

Very good episode, generally this season is very exiting, fills vacuum in the waiting for a book. I am happy with an outcome of Jon's status and with the fact that he indeed is based on Edmund Tudor and probably on Henry VII, depends how the show and the books will end.

And I am pretty sure now that Lyanna's words whispered to Ned were "His name, its Aegon". If he will ever rule, his regal number will be the same as Henry's, in books at least, but it can be easly done in the show too if we had Maegor II...

Edited by White26

Rewatched some scenes on Youtube due to my crappy dish service cutting out all the time

My thoughts currently:

1. So. Much. Fanservice. Not in the sexy way. But in the "Aaaaaye let's take all the stuff said on youtube comments and twitter and make it happen"

2. Since I can't drive I should get one of those newfangled teleporters that are all the rage in Westeros these days

3. Dany is......no

4. Seriously with the teleporter and time machine

5. I'm pretty much convinced that Sansa could singlehandedly save the entire planetos and people would still say she's the same whiny little brat from season 1 who is naive and betrayed her family and is power hungry and arya rocks

6. What. Wait. Cersei is pregnant? Did I miss something when episode 4 also cut out?

7. I hope Yara is alive

8. So now the Suicide Seven are beyond the Wall and....why does this just feel like a fanfic in the way they're all together

9. I really like Jon and Gendry's bromance. I ship it.

10. That offhand Ghost comment though

11. Dany got real turned on by Jon petting Drogon

12. That hammer looks slightly like the thing you'd win at a carnival

13. I'm currently not sure if I think Arya or Littlefinger is dumber at the moment

14. We have a huge budget for the dragons and those ravens and everything but absolutely zero for Ghost?

13 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Rewatched some scenes on Youtube due to my crappy dish service cutting out all the time

My thoughts currently:

1. So. Much. Fanservice. Not in the sexy way. But in the "Aaaaaye let's take all the stuff said on youtube comments and twitter and make it happen"

2. Since I can't drive I should get one of those newfangled teleporters that are all the rage in Westeros these days

3. Dany is......no

4. Seriously with the teleporter and time machine

5. I'm pretty much convinced that Sansa could singlehandedly save the entire planetos and people would still say she's the same whiny little brat from season 1 who is naive and betrayed her family and is power hungry and arya rocks

6. What. Wait. Cersei is pregnant? Did I miss something when episode 4 also cut out?

7. I hope Yara is alive

8. So now the Suicide Seven are beyond the Wall and....why does this just feel like a fanfic in the way they're all together

9. I really like Jon and Gendry's bromance. I ship it.

10. That offhand Ghost comment though

11. Dany got real turned on by Jon petting Drogon

12. That hammer looks slightly like the thing you'd win at a carnival

13. I'm currently not sure if I think Arya or Littlefinger is dumber at the moment

14. We have a huge budget for the dragons and those ravens and everything but absolutely zero for Ghost?

Pace of this season is rally an issue.

4 hours ago, Trebla said:

That note has to be the one Sansa sent to Robb telling him to come south and bend the knee. LF is trying to get Arya to go after Sansa which he thinks he can foil and solidify his position.

So is it looking like Gendry will get the Stormlands while Sam will get the Reach?

And who knew that it would be Drogon and Gilly who would give the reveal that Jon is a true Targaryen?

Because Kingsguard fighting to the death in the books isn't enough.....

They protect the King. Not some bastard.

Edited by ShadowKitteh

23 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I read somewhere that creatures with fur were much more time consuming and costly to cgi with any degree of realism.  It made sense to me but it doesn't make me miss ghost and nymeria any less.

This episode began pretty much exactly as I had expected! Jaime and Bronn break the surface, crawling ashore. The only thing I was wondering about was which of them would surface first.

One issue, though: Tyrion says to the Tarlys: "This war has already destroyed one great house". How is he counting to only end up with one? The Baratheons are goners for sure. And the Tyrells, and the Tullys. You can argue about the Martells. Frey and Bolton were warden houses when their last members died.

Also, I guess we will lose a half-dozen named characters in the next episode. So long, everybody who crossed the Wall except for Jon!

Aw crap,  Dickon's dead :crying:  I was hoping he'd make it through to the end so he could star with Theon in one of the spin-off shows and they'd call it Dick-on and Dick-off.

But seriously folks, all that fan theorizing as to how Jaime could survive drowning was far more interesting than that lazy way the show chose to go with.