[Spoilers] EP705 Discussion

Ran

10 minutes ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

One issue, though: Tyrion says to the Tarlys: "This war has already destroyed one great house". How is he counting to only end up with one? The Baratheons are goners for sure. And the Tyrells, and the Tullys. You can argue about the Martells. Frey and Bolton were warden houses when their last members died.

By "this war" i took it to mean between dany and the lannisters, so just house Tyrrell.

14 minutes ago, My friend Alayne Arya mad said:

I read somewhere that creatures with fur were much more time consuming and costly to cgi with any degree of realism.  It made sense to me but it doesn't make me miss ghost and nymeria any less.

That makes sense now that I think about it but I'm still bummed. 

Ghost, Nymeria, Lady, Summer, Grey Wind, Shaggydog....I miss them all.

I am so happy Sophie adopted the dog who played Lady IRL tho

Gendry taking out those two guys with a warhammer was nuts. Just like his dad

Dikkon's gone :/ daenerys did exactly what Jon and tyrion told her not to do. She's exactly like Aegon the Conquerer was. Generous and kind only to people who bend the knee and harsh on anyone else

That team heading out beyond the wall. What a team! Especially seeing tormund and the hound being together. It's so cool to see all these characters together! Hopefully nobody dies though

Fun episode, obviously a bridge between the start and the finale of the season - but it worked well enough (taking into account limitations of time and media).

How about Joe Dempsie as Gendry, that guy just jumps off the screen! Great work.

The way 'a-an-nul-le-ment' was brought up in stammering fashion was hilarious, if a bit convenient. Of all the ways...!

Cersei had better have something up her sleeve, or her attitude seems completely inappropriate.

I like Arya and Sansa's scene. Arya is Jon's sister far more than she is Sansa's (not biologically, of course). Arya is also both ignorant of the ways of politics and at the same time she has a very keen eye for observing people, something she learned in Braavos. The possibility that she may have been tricked by Littlefinger is interesting, but that letter by Sansa to what must have been Robb seemed real enough.

Not sure what Jon and his snowmen are hoping to achieve, but whatever. Should still be amusing; even if it's probably going to be lights out for at least one or two of them.

Edited by Anarres

2 hours ago, Pandean said:

My thoughts currently:

5. I'm pretty much convinced that Sansa could singlehandedly save the entire planetos and people would still say she's the same whiny little brat from season 1 who is naive and betrayed her family and is power hungry and arya rocks

13. I'm currently not sure if I think Arya or Littlefinger is dumber at the moment

On point 5, it appears the opposite for a lot of other people. Arya could save Planetos through an act of incredible empathy and sacrifice and they would still hate on her and say Sansa rocks.

I don't think Arya is dumb. She saw through Sansa quite clearly in their discussion. Arya's accusations were based not on a childhood memory but her current read of Sansa right then and there. She KNEW a big part of Sansa was wanting and craving the power and she was internally struggling with that.

I think the accusations levelled at Arya being childish in that scene were unfair. Her extremist solution about chopping off heads was wrong, but it was still understandable as to why she would lean that way given her experiences and recent actions.

3 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Aw crap,  Dickon's dead :crying:  I was hoping he'd make it through to the end so he could star with Theon in one of the spin-off shows and they'd call it Dick-on and Dick-off.

Laugh of the day :D

Ok, one of the highlights of this ep was definitely Gendry's comeback. I agree, he had an instant bromance going on with Jon and I think if one ends up on the IT, then the other should be his Hand. I really can't wait to see him wielding the hell out of that hammer.

I also enjoyed some of the reunions and characters meeting  each other for the first time. It seems like there are less fewer people in Westeros every day, the way they just keep running into each other.

Unfortunately, that's almost all of the highlights for me. This episode mainly had some very bland and annoying bits. Not going to list them here because they've already been discussed, let's just mention one that really got my eyes rolling until they almost dropped in my lap. I'm of course talking about that moment with Dany, Jon and Drogon. Every time they showed Jon petting Drogon, I thought "yeah, this is cool, finally" BUT when they cut to Dany's face I just wanted to throw up. Dany and Jon, just give us a favour and stop giving each other the bedroom eyes.

Edited by Aderyn

36 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

On point 5, it appears the opposite for a lot of other people. Arya could save Planetos through an act of incredible empathy and sacrifice and they would still hate on her and say Sansa rocks.

I don't think Arya is dumb. She saw through Sansa quite clearly in their discussion. Arya's accusations were based not on a childhood memory but her current read of Sansa right then and there. She KNEW a big part of Sansa was wanting and craving the power and she was internally struggling with that.

I think the accusations levelled at Arya being childish in that scene were unfair. Her extremist solution about chopping off heads was wrong, but it was still understandable as to why she would lean that way given her experiences and recent actions.

They went into a room and she told Sansa that she always liked to be surrounded by beautiful things. Beside the flower in the background, what beautiful things is she talking about? 

Sansa is doing her job as best as she can, but at the same time, the difficulties are there. We all expected them to arise. It is natural that lords are feeling insecure with the King gone indefinitely. They need stability, structure and that is what Sansa is providing. Do remember that, given the timeline, it must have been at least couple of months, if not more, since Jon rode South. So, it is normal for them to start stirring.

Arya was childish. Her way was wrong on so many levels. Simply, cutting people's heads serves nothing. They tend to rebel and depose you. Sansa taught her a valuable lesson.

As for her insight, I think that it is natural that Sansa wants North united even if the worst happens. She was against Jon's decision, but now he is gone and she has to rule. And part of that is in fact, preparing for the worst. In case Jon doesn't return, it is normal that Sansa wants to have support of the North. It is not either wrong or power-hungry. It is more than reasonable given all the dangers they will be facing.

11 minutes ago, Risto said:

They went into a room and she told Sansa that she always liked to be surrounded by beautiful things. Beside the flower in the background, what beautiful things is she talking about? 

Sansa is doing her job as best as she can, but at the same time, the difficulties are there. We all expected them to arise. It is natural that lords are feeling insecure with the King gone indefinitely. They need stability, structure and that is what Sansa is providing. Do remember that, given the timeline, it must have been at least couple of months, if not more, since Jon rode South. So, it is normal for them to start stirring.

Arya was childish. Her way was wrong on so many levels. Simply, cutting people's heads serves nothing. They tend to rebel and depose you. Sansa taught her a valuable lesson.

As for her insight, I think that it is natural that Sansa wants North united even if the worst happens. She was against Jon's decision, but now he is gone and she has to rule. And part of that is in fact, preparing for the worst. In case Jon doesn't return, it is normal that Sansa wants to have support of the North. It is not either wrong or power-hungry. It is more than reasonable given all the dangers they will be facing.

Arya acknowledges that to a certain extent. She also says that Sansa cannot help but want power, and that she was even thinking about it right now. :D Arya ftw.

2 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

Arya acknowledges that to a certain extent. She also says that Sansa cannot help but want power, and that she was even thinking about it right now. :D Arya ftw.

You mean that Sansa is thinking about uniting the North if something happens to Jon? Thus securing the armies would be prepared for WW invasion? What a monster :D 

8 minutes ago, Risto said:

You mean that Sansa is thinking about uniting the North if something happens to Jon? Thus securing the armies would be prepared for WW invasion? What a monster :D 

I never claimed she was a monster :) I like Sansa, but her standing up for Jon did seem a tad bit reluctant. I don't know, I think Sophie was trying to portray through her acting that Sansa still has this little hope inside that is screaming that she should have been named queen. 

22 minutes ago, Risto said:

Sansa didn't teach Arya anything. She made a point that was not without merit, yet Arya's concerns were also genuine and not without merit.

Either way, D&D have pretty much ruined both Sansa and Arya as characters with their writing and the horrendous plot lines they've given to them. Both the characters and the actresses deserve much better material.

5 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

I never claimed she was a monster :) I like Sansa, but her standing up for Jon did seem a tad bit reluctant. I don't know, I think Sophie was trying to portray through her acting that Sansa still has this little hope inside that is screaming that she should have been named queen. 

Well, I think she reiterates the point that he is their King, but he has been gone for quite some time. As for what Miss Turner wants to portray, I think it is some combination of ambition and loyalty to the family. She wants power, that is certain, but she doesn't want her family being hurt. Which is something Arya misses in their conversation.

6 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

Sansa didn't teach Arya anything. She made a point that was not without merit, yet Arya's concerns were also genuine and not without merit.

But, at the end of conversation, we are to be left with the conclusion that Sansa wants power for herself in case something happens to Jon. 

11 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, I think she reiterates the point that he is their King, but he has been gone for quite some time. As for what Miss Turner wants to portray, I think it is some combination of ambition and loyalty to the family. She wants power, that is certain, but she doesn't want her family being hurt. Which is something Arya misses in their conversation.

That wasn't missed. Arya never said or even hinted that she thought Sansa wanted her family being hurt or any harm coming to them.

It was the lust in Sansa that Arya saw in the room when the Lords were talking about her being Queen in the North that prompted their private conversation in the first place. A significant part of Sansa wanted that. She wasn't wishing any harm on her family or on Jon, but Arya I think saw that Sansa was wishing they had named her QitN instead of Jon KiTN.

The conversation wasn't about the family being hurt. It was about loyalty..and from what Arya saw in Sansa, she had reasons for some doubt there. I don't think Arya handled it the right way though and her comment about chopping heads off was stupid. BookArya would not ev en have suggested that.

I am so tired of the writers making character A momentarily stupid in order for character B to appear smart. They seem completely incapable of making Character A appear smart, but character B just even more on point in a specific situation. 

Edited by Gaz0680

6 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

I am so tired of the writers making character A momentarily stupid in order for character B to appear smart. They seem completely incapable of making Character A appear smart, but character B just even more on point in a specific situation. 

I adore Arya and she will always be one of my favorite characters, but boy, the script for this season was not kind to her. I agree with you and I think there was a way to make both sisters get to the point without any of them looking like a complete moron. 

6 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Because Kingsguard fighting to the death in the books isn't enough.....

They protect the King. Not some bastard.

Aerys, Rhaegar, and Aegon were alive when Rhaegar left the 3 KG to guard Lyanna. So they weren't protecting "the King". And if Rhaegar left them to protect a bastard, they would have done so.

Can anybody tell me what Dany answers at 44:40, when Jon says "at least you won't have to deal with the King in the North again"?

Also, what is Tormunds reply when Jon says he didn't bring enough men? At 53.15

Edited by BlackTalon
spelling