[Spoilers] EP705 Discussion

Ran

9 hours ago, Trebla said:

Aerys, Rhaegar, and Aegon were alive when Rhaegar left the 3 KG to guard Lyanna. So they weren't protecting "the King". And if Rhaegar left them to protect a bastard, they would have done so.

Not after he's dead they wouldn't.

And I doubt seriously they'd not accompany him to the Trident unless the baby would be a legit heir. They have a duty to perform no matter what the person they're protecting says.

The POTUS can't tell the Secret Service to stand down, nor can the POTUS do whatever they want if it might cause them harm... like some wacky extreme sport like base jumping. The SS can stop them from participating in any possible dangerous activity. 

Edited by ShadowKitteh

19 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

There are lots of things like that. Another that's virtually certain now is that Jon grew up thinking he was bastard but secretly wasn't, while Tyrion grew up thinking he was not a bastard but secretly was.

One more is that Jaime slew Tyrion's father while Tyrion slew Jaime's father. 

Wait, what? Did Winds of Winter already come out? I read all the books and had no idea Tyrion and Jaime have different fathers.

Can somebody explain me this moment?

9 minutes ago, Gelious said:

Wait, what? Did Winds of Winter already come out? I read all the books and had no idea Tyrion and Jaime have different fathers.

CrypticWeirdwood's post was from the fan theory that Tyrion is actually the son of Mad King Aerys and Joanna Lannister so is also a secret Targ.

If that is true, then Tyrion would have killed Jaime's father (Tywin) and Jaime would have killed Tyrions (Aerys).

There are also theories that it is actually Jaime and Cersei who are actually the Targaryens and not Tyrion.

Personally, I believe both of these theories are false.

Edited by Gaz0680

Not sure if it was mentioned here not not, but I found it interesting that Dany brings up to Jon, Ser Davos mentioning he took a knife in the heart for his people. He replied that Davos gets carried away, and she asks if it was a figure of speech. Jon doesn't answer, but looks uncomfortable and they are interrupted by Jorah returning. Could this be a hint about anything....not sure.

It just brings to mind all the Nissa Nissa theories, which of course is a topic for another thread...

Also, I'm kinda surprised that while Dany asks Jon about the knife, that NO ONE has asked how Dany got her dragons. We don't see anyone on screen ask that. Does anyone (other than Jorah) know they were born through blood magic?

Edited by Queen of Winter

3 hours ago, Gelious said:

The triplicated parallels between Dany and Jon and Tyrion are incredibly strong:

1. All three have touched a dragon and lived, but no one else has.
  2. All three are orphaned third children of their mothers.
  3. All three lost their mothers who died giving birth to them.
  4. All three lost their "official" fathers to surprise violence of vile betrayal.
  5. All three were social outcasts: bastard, dwarf, and exiled daughter. (Cue the "Bastards, cripples, and broken things shall inherit the earth" theme.)
  6. All three lost their loves, who died in their own arms: Khal Drogo, Ygritte, Shae
  7. All three represent distinct nationalities/races via their mothers: Valyrian, First Men, Andal

There’s plenty more where those came from. The story beats are all there laid out for anyone to see, and have been with us since the very beginning. 

At this point for Tyrion not to be the “third head of the Dragon” — by which I specifically mean the fallen House Targaryen restored to the greatness of Aegon the Conqueror himself — would betray way more than just five thousand pages of narrative over twenty years in the making. 

It's not going to happen. 

Martin is not a hack, and he's planned this all along. He's said he isn't going to — can't — change the major plot oueces that he's sown the seeds of throughout the narrative. It all fits into his grand interlocking puzzle; you can't break all that now at the end when he's spent so long carefully laying its pieces to mutually reinforce each other.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood
typo

8 hours ago, DebL66 said:

After last night's episode, I am more and more convinced Bran is somehow the Night's King.  Maybe he goes back in time to stop his own advance over and over again and somehow still screws it up each time.  I hate time travel and trying to work out all the inconsistencies in my head, but Bran and the Night King seem very interconnected.  It would explain why he is so emo lately,  and why the Night King can see him...even when he is viewing through his ravens.

They're connected because of the Night King's Secret, Unexplained Powers. But we also saw last season that the Night King touched Bran's arm while he was having a Tree Vision, which was Extra-Specially Meaningful, for some reason. 

20 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

One issue, though: Tyrion says to the Tarlys: "This war has already destroyed one great house". How is he counting to only end up with one? The Baratheons are goners for sure. And the Tyrells, and the Tullys. You can argue about the Martells. Frey and Bolton were warden houses when their last members died.

You're thinking of it as one big war. Tyrion is referring specifically to the Carol-Dany war, presumably. Houses Frey and Bolton were uninvolved.

Carol technically represents House Baratheon on the throne, I think. Tommen was a Baratheon and she's a Baratheon widow. (It can't continue beyond her, though. Her child with Larry would be a bastard, unless she marries Urine and pretends he's the father. But then a prince or princess would be a Greyjoy. Eww.)

House Tully may have been restored by Dany taking Casterly Rock, if Edmure was being held captive there. If the Lannisters moved him, Riverrun can still be restored to him if he or his son are alive when the Lannisters lose. 

Tyrion was referring to the Tyrells, who are definitely toast. The Martells died in my opinion with Wheelchair Lord and his son from Menudo. Unless they had relatives outside their immediate family, but that's rarely the case on this show. The Indian chick and the Bad Pussy Brigade were pretenders. 

29 minutes ago, darmody said:

Carol technically represents House Baratheon on the throne, I think. Tommen was a Baratheon and she's a Baratheon widow. (It can't continue beyond her, though. Her child with Larry would be a bastard, unless she marries Urine and pretends he's the father. But then a prince or princess would be a Greyjoy. Eww.)

Cersie represents House Lannister on the throne.  The show runners have stated that the stag on Kings Landing in the clockwork was an oversight.

6 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The triplicated parallels between Dany and Jon and Tyrion are incredibly strong:

4. All three lost their "official" fathers to surprise violence of vile betrayal.
  5. All three were social outcasts: bastard, dwarf, and exiled daughter. (Cue the "Bastards, cripples, and broken things shall inherit the earth" theme.)
  6. All three lost their loves, who died in their own arms: Khal Drogo, Ygritte, Shae
  7. All three represent distinct nationalities/races via their mothers: Valyrian, First Men, Andal

There’s plenty more where those came from. The story beats are all there laid out for anyone to see, and have been with us since the very beginning. 

At this point for Tyrion not to be the “third head of the Dragon” — by which I specifically mean the fallen House Targaryen restored to the greatness of Aegon the Conqueror himself — would betray way more than just five thousand pages of narrative over twenty years in the making. 

Martin is not a hack, and he's planned this all along. He's said he isn't going to — can't — change the major plot oueces that he's sown the seeds of throughout the narrative. It all fits into his grand interlocking puzzle; you can't break all that now at the end when he's spent so long carefully laying its pieces to mutually reinforce each other.

I wouldn't put money on that.  I think one of the reasons its taking so long to finish TWOW is that he has stopped working on it until the show is done so that he can change parts of it to ensure the show hasn't spoiled the books.  My money is on him trying to work out ways to change the main plot whilst still allowing for the previous prophecies to be valid.

9 hours ago, Queen of Winter said:

Not sure if it was mentioned here not not, but I found it interesting that Dany brings up to Jon, Ser Davos mentioning he took a knife in the heart for his people. He replied that Davos gets carried away, and she asks if it was a figure of speech. Jon doesn't answer, but looks uncomfortable and they are interrupted by Jorah returning. Could this be a hint about anything....not sure.

It just brings to mind all the Nissa Nissa theories, which of course is a topic for another thread...

Also, I'm kinda surprised that while Dany asks Jon about the knife, that NO ONE has asked how Dany got her dragons. We don't see anyone on screen ask that. Does anyone (other than Jorah) know they were born through blood magic?

I think that's one of the biggest problems a lot of the book readers have.  They want every conversation to be captured on screen but the basic fact is the vast majority of character interaction takes place off screen.  In books characters can reflect on past conversations etc. so that you are privy to them.  That cannot be done on TV unless you want a show that runs for 100's of hours and gets boring very quickly!

I'd have liked to have seen more development between Dany and Jon though.  It's clear they are falling in love by the not so subtle looks they give each other but IMO we haven't seen any interaction between them that would be a defining moment where attraction would occur.  The assumption has to be that those conversations were taking place off screen.

11 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

CrypticWeirdwood's post was from the fan theory that Tyrion is actually the son of Mad King Aerys and Joanna Lannister so is also a secret Targ.

If that is true, then Tyrion would have killed Jaime's father (Tywin) and Jaime would have killed Tyrions (Aerys).

There are also theories that it is actually Jaime and Cersei who are actually the Targaryens and not Tyrion.

Thanks a lot! Wasn't really keeping up with fan theories, so only knew the one about Jon.

7 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

In the books, it may very well turn out so. In the show, unlikely as hell. Thanks for laying it out, anyway:)

Edited by Gelious

22 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

I know this is show not books, but if Jamie was a Targ, Drogonwould not have tried to BBQ him.....