Littlefinger's Game

Joshy

I mean, if the Night King is defeated, but Daenerys and Jon and Cersei and Jaime all die, then someone will need to rule the Seven Kingdoms, and it could easily end up being Littlefinger. Just saying, the end of the story could be that Littlefinger becomes King of Westeros. That is a real possibility.

Keep in mind that George R. R. Martin is a sick and twisted dude and will happily kill off all of our favorite characters. Why not end it with one of our most hated on the Iron Throne? Haha...

3 hours ago, Joshy said:

I mean, if the Night King is defeated, but Daenerys and Jon and Cersei and Jaime all die, then someone will need to rule the Seven Kingdoms, and it could easily end up being Littlefinger. Just saying, the end of the story could be that Littlefinger becomes King of Westeros. That is a real possibility.

Not happening...... LF dies in the season 7 finale, Id happily put my mortgage on it. There is just too much in the way of evidence to suggest otherwise. LF does not fit into the end game whatsoever, he can play no part in the WW story. 

3 hours ago, Joshy said:

Keep in mind that George R. R. Martin is a sick and twisted dude and will happily kill off all of our favorite characters. Why not end it with one of our most hated on the Iron Throne? Haha...

He's one sick and twisted but he has reasoning and as said the ending is bittersweet.......not fucked up. 

4 hours ago, Joshy said:

Since I'm not a reader of his books, I don't know what to expect based on them. Anything could happen from my point of view. I just thought is Gilly's son going to have a bigger part in the future. That would be off-putting. 

On 8/17/2017 at 0:26 PM, Joshy said:

Exactly. He is very good at buddying up next to people (as he is doing with Sansa) and has a way of making "I'll scratch your back, if you'll scratch mine" deals. He was great in King's Landing, he knew everyone's secrets and hinted at it just enough so that people were wary of him. But at the same time, he made himself useful to everyone in turns, keeping their favor just enough to stay alive and in power. 

I recall the scene between Littlefinger and Cersei where he hints to Cersei that he could reveal the nature of her relationship with Jaime, and Littlefinger says, "Knowledge is power." Cersei has her guards rough him up, and says, "Power is power." But then she immediately lets him go and says, "I would very much appreciate it if you could find Arya for me."

Littlefinger is useful, and even when he threatens people, they still value his skills. Ned Stark didn't trust Littlefinger an inch, always suspecting him of playing some foul game or joke. But, in the end Ned needed Littlefinger after Robert Baratheon died, so he went to Littlefinger for help. Despite knowing that LIttlefinger was untrustworthy, Littlefinger's "usefulness" won out and Ned took a risk. Ultimately, the risk caused him his life.

Littlefinger currently speaks for the Vale of Arryn, he is essentially acting as the "Warden of the East" until Robin comes of age. That means that he is the effective ruler of one of the Seven Kingdoms. If he can secure a marriage with Sansa, and turn the North against Jon Snow, he will control the power of 2 of the Seven Kingdoms. He doesn't need "friends." He just needs people to do what he wants. There is a reason that the Knights of the Vale followed him North. They didn't do it because they love him, they did it because he is a Master Manipulator.

As for appearing weak and innocent, when Jon Snow grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against a wall in the tomb, Littlefinger didn't try to fight back. He was just being submissive and saying, "I love Sansa." Jon didn't believe any of it, but the act is just believable that even part of me wants to think that maybe he genuinely loves Sansa.

As for seeming sincere in his friendships, he seems to be sincerely helping Sansa rule Winterfell in Jon's stead. He is always at her side, and despite herself, Sansa seems to appreciate his company and his service. He could stab her in the back at any moment, and it would be perfectly in character for him, if he had something to gain from it. But... for the moment, his friendship with her seems genuine, even if it is self serving. He is a genius, and the character is beautifully written.

Also, I personally think that Littlefinger is a bit of a tragic character. In his youth, he genuinely loved Catelyn Tully, so much so that he challenged the Stark Heir to a duel. After loving Catelyn Tully, how could any other woman compare? The pain which losing her must have caused him led him to become a brothel keeper and a hopeless grasper, always seeking higher political stature in an attempt to find self worth. He is a snake, and dangerous, but he is, in a way, just a victim of circumstance.

Very well written assessment of a very complex character. I'd love to see him meet his end by having a knife put to his throat in the great hall at WF, after one of his elaborate schemes blows up in his face and is revealed in public - just when he thinks it's paid off. Similar to what he did to Ned in the throne room at Kings Landing.

I don't want his demise to be in private at the hands of just one character. I want it big and public. I want all his scheming and lies to be exposed to everyone, just before he is led off to the square where Jon takes his head off while everyone watches. That would be a truly fitting end for him. As the saying goes, daylight is a great disinfectant. This guy has made his living just as a roach does, in darkness. 

17 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Very well written assessment of a very complex character. I'd love to see him meet his end by having a knife put to his throat in the great hall at WF, after one of his elaborate schemes blows up in his face and is revealed in public - just when he thinks it's paid off. Similar to what he did to Ned in the throne room at Kings Landing.

I don't want his demise to be in private at the hands of just one character. I want it big and public. I want all his scheming and lies to be exposed to everyone, just before he is led off to the square where Jon takes his head off while everyone watches. That would be a truly fitting end for him. As the saying goes, daylight is a great disinfectant. This guy has made his living just as a roach does, in darkness. 

I am eager to see the fate which lies in store for Littlefinger. Whether he fails or succeeds, I expect that he will do so in spectacular fashion. If nothing else, I have always found Littlefinger to be quite interesting. I just hope that he doesn't do too much damage to the Starks, whatever happens.

It better be damaging to the Starks, whatever Petyr Baelish is up to, otherwise it will be a let down.  It would be really cool if he can destroy House Stark for good.  The deaths of Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Jon, and their wolves would really make Littlefinger a man to be reckoned with.  I would settle for the deaths of Arya and Jon.  Let LF prove his genius.

1 hour ago, Wolf's Bane said:

It better be damaging to the Starks, whatever Petyr Baelish is up to, otherwise it will be a let down.  It would be really cool if he can destroy House Stark for good.  The deaths of Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Jon, and their wolves would really make Littlefinger a man to be reckoned with.  I would settle for the deaths of Arya and Jon.  Let LF prove his genius.

Nope. It'll never happen. The Starks will prevail and give Little finger the big finger and that'll be it for him. I hope they also send that dragon riding bitch back across that poison sea with her unwashed masses in tow so they can make Westeros great again. . . :) 

15 hours ago, Deminelle said:

When Sansa said about LF "I know exactly what he wants", had she already promised him something for his help at Winterfell?

No, she knows that he wants her.

Of course what he actually wants is a tangled mess, because his desire to possess Sansa, his desire to make Sansa powerful, and his desire to make himself powerful don't always lead in the same direction, and maybe also because he's so addicted to creating chaos to find new opportunities that sometimes he creates more chaos instead of seizing the easy opportunities, and so on. But what she means here is that he wants her.

13 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

The poor guy deserves a little happiness. Killing the Starks won't make him happy. Being acknowledged as a major force won't make him happy. What he needs is to fake his own death and retire to a nice villa in one of the Free Cities with a new identity. And millions of crowns of embezzled gold. And Sansa. In a leather Catwoman outfit. Also maybe some throat lozenges, because that voice has got to be painful.

Archived