Why did the have to make gendry have such a ridiculous weapon

snow is the man

22 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

True, it just seems too cumbersome and slow to use based on the size.  I think he would be cut to shreds before he could even swing it against someone with a longsword.

But going back to this being an echo of Robert's hammer, the books specifically say it was too big for most people to wield. 

Agreed, but he wielded it one handed.  The weapon must fit the person to be effective.  Arya does extremely well with a very small sword, give her a sword the size of Ice and she would be unable to use it effectively.  If this hammer was large and Gendry could use it effectively one handed I'd agree.

44 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

Agreed, but he wielded it one handed.  The weapon must fit the person to be effective.  Arya does extremely well with a very small sword, give her a sword the size of Ice and she would be unable to use it effectively.  If this hammer was large and Gendry could use it effectively one handed I'd agree.

Well, the problem there is that the actor playing Gendry turned out to be a smallish guy.  They hired him 7 or eight years ago and he turns out not to look much like Robert's son in terms of physique.  It looks to me like they're trying to cover that a bit--sleeves covering his upper arms and thick leather something-or-others (vambraces?) covering his lower arms to make him look thicker. But that's one of the limitations of television--hard to know how young people will develop.

2 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

You mean like an actual human who can chop off a horse head with one swing of a sword? Or an actual person who can be cut in half, then revived? Or a person who loses his dominant hand, but still can be a great swordsman in a minuscule amount of time? Or a tiny girl who can go head to head with a seasoned swords woman (prolly the toughest woman in westeros) and the sparring round come to a draw??? Realism has been thrown out the window a few seasons ago.

My take on it is to enjoy it as is it. Gendrys justification is he has been using a hammer all of his life.And with him being the son of one of a great warhammer wielder, just made enough sense with me.. 

I do enjoy watching, but I also enjoy complaining about it. ;)

I complained about the Arya-Brienne fight last episode, too. To me, any story has to have rules, and when you decide to just throw all rules and sense out the window, then immersion is broken, and all there is left is mindless entertainment.

4 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Well, the problem there is that the actor playing Gendry turned out to be a smallish guy.  They hired him 7 or eight years ago and he turns out not to look much like Robert's son in terms of physique.  It looks to me like they're trying to cover that a bit--sleeves covering his upper arms and thick leather something-or-others (vambraces?) covering his lower arms to make him look thicker. But that's one of the limitations of television--hard to know how young people will develop.

I agree, but that doesn't explain why they still made it so big.  It's not like he showed up on set and they said "oh shit dude, you didn't grow much."  They should have made it in proportion to his body, not Clegane sized.

14 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I get that he has a war hammer because robert had one and because he has swung a hammer all his life but why make it so unrealistic. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think there has ever been a war hammer like that used in combat outside of a video game or movie. Maybe I am wrong but to me they could have just used a regular war hammer or something semi realistic for it so it would be believable. Although I did love him bashing in two crooked gold cloaks heads in. Maybe its just a pet peeve but did anyone else notice this?

I was fine with it.

Weapons come in many, many, MANY different shapes and sizes.

It would be more realistic, I think, if Gendry was a bigger guy, but it's believable that he's pretty strong, since he's worked as an armorer for so long.

Having said that, if Gregor Clegane was wielding that thing, I'm confident no one facing him would consider it ridiculous at all.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:02 PM, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

And things that belong in movies and video games don't belong in TV shows. Right. Because reasons, I guess.

Do you guys seriously not get why people are complaining? It was a moment which took people out of the show. If suddenly superman turned up in GOT world you would be ok as he is in video games and movies?

1 hour ago, Banjo said:

Do you guys seriously not get why people are complaining? It was a moment which took people out of the show. If suddenly superman turned up in GOT world you would be ok as he is in video games and movies?

I really don't think "a design of a weapon not in accordance with Europe's Medieval history" has the same weight as "Superman appears". And the show takes place in a completely fictional "when" and "where". They can have their custom designs of whatever the hell they will, be that from architecture through weaponry to fashion.

Not a long time ago, I myself ranted about one actually unrealistic (as in: defying, on screen, the law of conservation of energy) piece of weaponry, namely the scorpion. Which is not the case with Gendry's hammer: it would do the job just fine, no matter its shape, if scored a hit on the head, like Gendry did. Of all things, or all things weapon-related, of even all things-melee-weapon-related-seen-in-season-7 (a narrow category already), Gendry's hammer still isn't the big one to complain about.

So, to summarize, I get why people are complaining: because they are wrong. (Especially if they've, seemingly, made peace with the really shitty arakh).

I've said this elsewhere, but I think it applies here, too. I don't know what a war hammer should look like, but I thought Gendry saying he preferred to use one made sense. Young people usually idolize parents they've lost. In Gendry's case, there are songs about his father and lots of history about Robert available to learn, and much of that history idolizes his father as a hero for overthrowing the Mad King. It made sense to me that he'd want to emulate him.

Just some historical context--the original warhammers and battle-axe were just hammers and axes.  Aka what the common man had lying around to defend himself.  So Gendry (as a smith) weilding a hammer is totally the right move.  The SIZE (as you point out) is totally off.

Even the legendary spartans only had a short sword--Xyphos i think it was called. (along with their big ass spear, but that was becuase they fought as a unit).

Romans also typically only used a short sword.

Archived