Why did the have to make gendry have such a ridiculous weapon

snow is the man

On 8/14/2017 at 5:57 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Real war hammers don't look anything like that fake piece of shit Gendry was wielding 

lol I was thinking something of the lines like I've seen that hammer given away as a prize for being the first to shoot water into the clowns mouth and burst the balloon 

On 8/14/2017 at 5:05 PM, Charlie Hustle said:

a lot of stuff isnt real on the show.. Like.. you know... Dragons......

Ugh, not this again.

It did look fairly ridiculous, compared to most of the weapons on the show which are reasonably realistic/authentic looking. Gendry's warhammer doesn't look like it fits in, and looks more like something out of World of Warcraft or something. Still, it's no worse than the book-based idea that Ned couldn't even lift Robert's warhammer (complete nonsense and/or hyperbole). I do wish they had tuned down the size of the head a bit, though.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:22 AM, Forlong the Fat said:

Well, the problem there is that the actor playing Gendry turned out to be a smallish guy.  They hired him 7 or eight years ago and he turns out not to look much like Robert's son in terms of physique.  It looks to me like they're trying to cover that a bit--sleeves covering his upper arms and thick leather something-or-others (vambraces?) covering his lower arms to make him look thicker. But that's one of the limitations of television--hard to know how young people will develop.

I remember the actor being surprisingly muscular way back when (as Arya checked him out). Probably achieved with a bit of Hollywood magic. He's most likely beefed up since then. Can't tell when he's not shirtless.

In any case, it would be better if they had an actor who was obviously beefy, shirt or no shirt. Or if they just picked a smaller hammer. 

Metals in Westeros obviously have way less density/weight than in the real world.

Gendry can easily wield a Supermutant-sized warhammer, Jamie can swim with a golden hand and in plate armour and Lord Royce is super comfortable wearing his gigantic breastplate 24/7.

7 hours ago, darmody said:

I remember the actor being surprisingly muscular way back when (as Arya checked him out). Probably achieved with a bit of Hollywood magic. He's most likely beefed up since then. Can't tell when he's not shirtless.

In any case, it would be better if they had an actor who was obviously beefy, shirt or no shirt. Or if they just picked a smaller hammer. 

The actor just isn't anything like a Baratheon (aside from having dark hair). Robert was 6'6". So was Renly. 

The actor who played Dickson would have been a better Gendry (hair color is the easiest thing to change). 

5 hours ago, Rhollo said:

Metals in Westeros obviously have way less density/weight than in the real world.

Gendry can easily wield a Supermutant-sized warhammer, Jamie can swim with a golden hand and in plate armour and Lord Royce is super comfortable wearing his gigantic breastplate 24/7.

The reason Royce wears his breastplate all the time is obvious: they cast a doughy old man to play a character who is supposed to be a great big badass. I've never been able to accept that actor as Bronze Yohn: a guy who beat Ned and Ser Rodrick at the same time in practice. 

9 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

The actor who played Dickson would have been a better Gendry (hair color is the easiest thing to change). 

Dickon* but his father is a massive prick (albeit a burnt one, now).

Also, I agree, and the character of Gendry has been off the show long enough that they could possibly get away with a recast, but I'm ok with the fact they kept him.

5 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

The actor just isn't anything like a Baratheon (aside from having dark hair). Robert was 6'6". So was Renly. 

The guy they cast to play King Robert looked like he was under six feet. Renly was a slight fellow. It wouldn't make much sense to cast an NBA power forward as Gendry, in these circumstances.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:57 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Real war hammers don't look anything like that fake piece of shit Gendry was wielding 

Because you've seen all of them throughout history? 

Google: Historical War Hammers, then go to Images. They come in all shapes and sizes.

4 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Historical War Hammers

If you only look at the pictures, yes. If you dig a bit deeper, you'll realize that all the "massive head" ones are not historical (protip: don't use pinterest as a source of... anything)

It's well established that Robert used a very big war hammer. It was big enough to cave in Rhaegar's chest, and Ned says it was too heavy for him to lift, although presumably that part was an exaggeration. It's not like there's no precedent for big hammers.

As for it being rounded - why not? I don't see how it could make the weapon any less effective.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:19 AM, snow is the man said:

I get that he has a war hammer because robert had one and because he has swung a hammer all his life but why make it so unrealistic. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think there has ever been a war hammer like that used in combat outside of a video game or movie. Maybe I am wrong but to me they could have just used a regular war hammer or something semi realistic for it so it would be believable. Although I did love him bashing in two crooked gold cloaks heads in. Maybe its just a pet peeve but did anyone else notice this?

I think that:

1. A realistic war hammer would not have been identified as a hammer from the average viewer.

2. A realistic war hammer would have been less attractive for the merchandising.

3. It already looks like a toy, they made it to produce and sell plastic "war hammers".

3 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

They don't have round ends.  

I do wonder one thing.  Practice swords are heavier than real swords and are never sharpened so they are blunt.  These are the swords people used in the melee part of the tournaments so that it minimizes the risk of life and limb. 

So I wonder if there ever was such a thing as a tourney or practice hammer that is round on the end and heavy.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

Archived