so how will ser jorah feel about dany burning sam's father and brother alive and what will sam feel about jon working with dany.

snow is the man

I really wanted jorah to say samwell tarly saved me and have dany basically go "oh sh**". I am curious as to how jon will react to it as well given that sam is his best friend and dany just burned his father and his brother alive. And yes sam didn't love his father for obvious reasons but he probably at least liked his brother and even if he didn't having them be burned alive would still be hard to know and then to work with the women who did it since sam will obviously play some part in helping and likely meet dany or at least talk to jon about it and what can jon say?  Kinda ironic that of all the people she could have killed these two would be the ones who would cause problems. This isn't about whether dany was right or wrong to do it just about their reactions?

Jorah will feel sorry for Sam but will not fault Dany's action - 

• because it was perfectly justified, even sensible, in the world of Game of Thrones, and Jorah is unaffected by 21st century morality
  • his devotion to Dany will outweigh his sympathy for Sam

Sam is kind, peace-loving, and sentimental. He will be desolated when he hears in spite of his father's treatment of him. He will weep for his brother, his widowed mother and fatherless sister. But he is not one to hold a grudge, especially against his best friend's sweetheart who is supplying them with a great army, a literal mountain of dragonglass, and dragonfire. Do not expect him to hatch some malevolent revenge plot, its not in his character.

1 hour ago, daemonTheBlack said:

• because it was perfectly justified, even sensible, in the world of Game of Thrones, and Jorah is unaffected by 21st century morality

Sam is kind, peace-loving, and sentimental. He will be desolated when he hears in spite of his father's treatment of him. He will weep for his brother, his widowed mother and fatherless sister. But he is not one to hold a grudge, especially against his best friend's sweetheart who is supplying them with a great army, a literal mountain of dragonglass, and dragonfire. Do not expect him to hatch some malevolent revenge plot, its not in his character.

That sounds right.

However, Dany may fear that Sam will seek revenge, and decide to remove him from the scene.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

That sounds right.

However, Dany may fear that Sam will seek revenge, and decide to remove him from the scene.

That's not how Dany operates. She never acts out of paranoia. If you have read her PoV chapters in the books, you will know this even more clearly. She might in fact apologize to Sam, offer recompense, and explain how conquest invariably involves some brutal decisions.... as long as Sam does not actively act against her or do something cruel in her knowledge (in which case he will burn).

44 minutes ago, daemonTheBlack said:

That's not how Dany operates. She never acts out of paranoia.

She killed his brother and father,burned them alive and you think it's paranoia to expect revenge from their relatives? Who can  say Sam won't poison the dragons when no longer needed or poison her somehow. Besides this is show not books.

49 minutes ago, daemonTheBlack said:

That's not how Dany operates. She never acts out of paranoia. If you have read her PoV chapters in the books, you will know this even more clearly. She might in fact apologize to Sam, offer recompense, and explain how conquest invariably involves some brutal decisions.... as long as Sam does not actively act against her or do something cruel in her knowledge (in which case he will burn).

I think she will reward him by naming him Lord of Hornwood :)

2 minutes ago, Ivan33 said:

She killed his brother and father,burned them alive and you think it's paranoia to expect revenge from their relatives? Who can  say Sam won't poison the dragons when no longer needed or poison her somehow. Besides this is show not books.

That's not something Sam would do. Tarly  was offered a choice of submission or dying and he chose dying. His reasons- whilst he may believe in them, are ridiculous. Cersei kills his liege lord and usurps the throne and he's ok with that, but Daenerys was born in Essos and has a few savages in her army and she's the bad one? He rejected the black, that Tyrion tried to negotiate, the choice that he forced on Sam himself.You live by the sword, you die by the sword. Ned Stark didn't get such courtesies from Cersei and her I'll.

Oh, and he was willing to kill his own son to further his ambitions. What do you think he'd do to Sam if he caught him with Heartsbane that Sam stole? Pat on the head? 

3 minutes ago, Princess_of_Sunspear said:

That's not something Sam would do

Oh, and he was willing to kill his own son to further his ambitions. What do you think he'd do to Sam if he caught him with Heartsbane that Sam stole? Pat on the head? 

1: How do you figure? They were his brother and father even if he didn't love or like them they are still his blood..

2: No idea i don't know Tarly's character well enough.

1. Jorah would never care more about Sam's relatives he didn't even like than about Daenerys 

2. Randyll and Dickon did make a choice. (Let me take the chance and say that I still freaking hate Daenerys for burning them and even though I was strongly against the double mad queen theory last week, they are clearly playing the mad king cards in both cases. The one redeeming aspect of the scene was that Randyll and Dickon got to make a choice and die holding each other instead of being chained up at arm's reach distance, like a Ellaria and Tyene or Rickard and Brandon ) 

3. Sam won't mind. He will be sad for Dickon but I would be surprised if he cared a lot about Randyll. 

4. This was necessary for the plot so Sam can be lord of Hornhill, marry gilly (because laws ceased existing around after season 4) and write a red book about what happened with the poetic title of There and Back and There and Back and There and Back Again , a Tarly's Tale by Samwell Tarly and we can have an epic fan fiction fest in the last season with cheese plates the size of Aegon's Westeros table. 

Sam is going to face the hard consequences of being the lone survivor of the male line of his family, granted, his mother and sister are still alive, but when the time comes i do t think they will object to the new lord he was the heir to begin with, furthermore, if sam's part is as big as it seems in the wars to come, he may come back as one of the great heroes.. If he comes back.. 

12 minutes ago, Ivan33 said:

1: How do you figure? They were his brother and father even if he didn't love or like them they are still his blood..

2: No idea i don't know Tarly's character well enough.

Sam is not someone who would poison dragons, even those responsible for the execution of his family. He won't be happy, he will be resentful and angry, but neither he, nor Jon are known to act in an underhand manner. In the same way he wouldn't have poisoned his father at the dinner table for making him take the black. 

sam also is still wearing black and has an oath...his family is now night's watch and whatever else happens in the realm doesnt, or shouldnt, concern him...just like how it was with jon when ned was executed

plus, his father and brother were given a choice and they chose to die, that is not dany's fault so why would he hold grudge against her for their choices?

1 hour ago, Jasemina said:

sam also is still wearing black and has an oath...his family is now night's watch and whatever else happens in the realm doesnt, or shouldnt, concern him...just like how it was with jon when ned was executed

plus, his father and brother were given a choice and they chose to die, that is not dany's fault so why would he hold grudge against her for their choices?

I might not hold a grudge about my father's death, if he had behaved appallingly to me,  but I'm sure I'd hold a grudge if my brother was burned alive after refusing to change sides.  Bear in mind, too, that Westeros is an honour culture.  Honour demands that you avenge the killing of family members, even if you dislike them.

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I might not hold a grudge about my father's death, if he had behaved appallingly to me,  but I'm sure I'd hold a grudge if my brother was burned alive after refusing to change sides.  Bear in mind, too, that Westeros is an honour culture.  Honour demands that you avenge the killing of family members, even if you dislike them.

Westerosi is an honour culture, and Dant have them an honourable death per their choice. Being executed after being captured by the enemy combatant is not dishonourable and they were executed, not killed, there is a distinction.

And no, honour doesn't demand that you avenge family members if it goes against the interests of the crown/realm, especially for a member of the Nights Watch. Jon couldn't kill Janos Slynt for betraying Ned, he had to have a pretext for executing him. 

After all, Jon and Dany didn't start duelling over her dad or his grandad, because having a diplomatic discussions was in everyone's better interests. 

5 minutes ago, Princess_of_Sunspear said:

Westerosi is an honour culture, and Dant have them an honourable death per their choice. Being executed after being captured by the enemy combatant is not dishonourable and they were executed, not killed, there is a distinction.

And no, honour doesn't demand that you avenge family members if it goes against the interests of the crown/realm, especially for a member of the Nights Watch. Jon couldn't kill Janos Slynt for betraying Ned, he had to have a pretext for executing him. 

After all, Jon and Dany didn't start duelling over her dad or his grandad, because having a diplomatic discussions was in everyone's better interests. 

I would have thought that the cultural norm in Westeros would be that high-born prisoners are held for ransom, rather than being told to turn or burn.

If Dany were actually Queen, and they'd rebelled against her, she'd be on far stronger legal and moral ground to execute them for treason, but at this stage, she's only a claimant.

Jorah will never fault Dany. "If she took a dump on his desk, he would defend it." So he would have taken the news of the Tarlys in a matter of fact way. That said, what a waste for Randyll and Dickon. First, the father pulled that dick move of 'Oh, well at least your sister's not an immigrant' and then Dickon joins him. For what? What were they trying to prove? As Tyrion said, it's not like their allegiances were so fixed given their most recent betrayal. Come to think of it, that's not the kind of people I want in Dany's army anyway. But like every cloud with a silver lining, how fitting that a wildling bastard could now take Randyll's place as Lord Tarly, since Sam can't. As for Sam, I don't know if he'll make the deep Dany-Jorah connection as I don't expect Jorah will last much longer. If he ever does, Sam's not a hateful man; he certainly owes his father no favors, not even tears.  

4 hours ago, daemonTheBlack said:

Correct.  

Daenerys was well within her rights to execute the Tarlys.  She gave them every opportunity to bend the knee, but Randyll stubborn refusal left Dany with little choice but to execute him.  Randyll and Dickon deserved to die.  

44 minutes ago, pinoyathletics said:

I was disappointed that Daenerys ordered her dragon to burn Randyl and Dickon Tarly. I wanted to see the Dragon eat them alive.

Drogon already had a full belly from snacking on cooked Lannister and Tarly men.  It was just too bad that the meal didn't include Jaime and Bronn.  Dining on the Tarlys is a waste of time.  Besides, Randyll is a stubborn man and likely to leave a bitter taste in poor Drogon's mouth.  Cremation is for the best.  And cremation is what they got.  

Archived