Why doesn't Jon stop by Winterfell?

ChrisS

Jon has apparently just found out that both Arya and Bran, his brother and sister that he long thought dead, are alive and well at Winterfell.

We know how much of a connection Jon has with his family, particularly with Arya.

When he leaves for his excursion beyond the Wall, where he knows he may very well die, why does he not stop at Winterfell to see them first, and perhaps pick up some of his own men rather than have to go off to the Wall with just another 3 men, one of whom is un untrained blacksmith, and the other an old man who cannot fight?

6 minutes ago, spivo said:

He sails from Dragonstone, and Winterfell is not near the sea, Eastwatch is.

This. Winterfell is inland while Eastwatch is right up the coast. I have to remind myself of the geography once and a while too.

1 hour ago, spivo said:

He sails from Dragonstone, and Winterfell is not near the sea, Eastwatch is.

Yup. 

3 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Jon has apparently just found out that both Arya and Bran, his brother and sister that he long thought dead, are alive and well at Winterfell.

We know how much of a connection Jon has with his family, particularly with Arya.

When he leaves for his excursion beyond the Wall, where he knows he may very well die, why does he not stop at Winterfell to see them first, and perhaps pick up some of his own men rather than have to go off to the Wall with just another 3 men, one of whom is un untrained blacksmith, and the other an old man who cannot fight?

True tho. Gendry going with Jon makes no sense to me, but I'll take it. I love Gendry :\ . 

2 minutes ago, Fexyr said:

Yup. 

True tho. Gendry going with Jon makes no sense to me, but I'll take it. I love Gendry :\ . 

It does make sense, tbh. Gendry is a character who wants to belong to a cause. That was why he wanted to be with the Brotherhood. And when he learned about the True War, he wanted in.

I hope he gets rewarded with a lordship. Lord of the Stormlands :] He is the last surviving Baratheon on the show.

Just now, Dawn of Fyre said:

It does make sense, tbh. Gendry is a character who wants to belong to a cause. That was why he wanted to be with the Brotherhood. And when he learned about the True War, he wanted in.

I hope he gets rewarded with a lordship. Lord of the Stormlands :] He is the last surviving Baratheon on the show.

It was all very fanfic-like to me, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

And yes, if he survives I hope he gets something. Maybe a lordship, maybe a happy future with Arya... too much dreaming?

4 minutes ago, Fexyr said:

It was all very fanfic-like to me, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

And yes, if he survives I hope he gets something. Maybe a lordship, maybe a happy future with Arya... too much dreaming?

Arya/Gendry has always peeved me in terms of the books. He abandoned her for the Brotherhood - for good reasons, tbh., he wanted to lead his own life, not serve another lord. But that hurt her, and she's never had a postive thought about him afterwards, not that she thought about him more than once after book 3.

The show is different, though. And they might have Arya and Gendry marry (does not have to be love at first sight, not that I think it would - think Cat and Ned, and how they slowly fell in love after marriage), and secure an alliance with the Stormlands - if he does become Lord of the Stormlands. He would be legitimized, I'm guessing.

As long as they do the plot right, and give Arya a happy ending (fingers crossed) I wouldn't mind. - I just don't want it to happen in the books >.<

8 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

Arya/Gendry has always peeved me in terms of the books. He abandoned her for the Brotherhood - for good reasons, tbh., he wanted to lead his own life, not serve another lord. But that hurt her, and she's never had a postive thought about him afterwards, not that she thought about him more than once after book 3.

The show is different, though. And they might have Arya and Gendry marry (does not have to be love at first sight, not that I think it would - think Cat and Ned, and how they slowly fell in love after marriage), and secure an alliance with the Stormlands - if he does become Lord of the Stormlands. He would be legitimized, I'm guessing.

As long as they do the plot right, and give Arya a happy ending (fingers crossed) I wouldn't mind. - I just don't want it to happen in the books >.<

*fingers crossed*

And yes to that!

In the book universe he would lose 2 weeks at best and in winter conditions maybe a month or even more. + any travel would cause a severe risk (starving, freezing in a blizzard, robbers). Way to much time to say "hello".

In show universe he would ruin the Arya/Sansa plot I guess.

5 hours ago, ChrisS said:

If you look at the map, Dragonstone to Eastwatch is a boat ride.  You'd have to go pretty far out of your way to get to Winterfell and it would take a lot longer.  

4 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Five eps into season 7, and you still believe that Westeros has geography? Like, some places being between some other places? Or distances between two fixed places being kind of constant-ish?

Come on.

The best line in that regard was from last season: "You're here at Winterfell, and a battle is looming. The Knights of the Vale are encamped at Moat Cailin, they will come to your aid." (heavily paraphrased, I can't remember the exact wording).

They might as well have said "You're in Helsinki, and a battle is looming, but don't worry. Some dudes on horseback are encamped just outside Madrid".

Then again, this season is pretty egregious too. It's not like the opening cinematic shows Dragonstone completely dominating the sea route in and out of King's Landing, or there being an entire continent to sail around to get to Casterly Rock...

Quick note, I'm the same user as the OP, just found an older account I had years ago and decided to reuse this.

As a quick response on the comments that going back to Winterfell would take a long time:

1) Jon doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry... Afterall he's willing to wait for Davos to sail to King's Landing with Tyrion and back before going off, and go off on an excursion to the North without any horses or supplies. The whole plot in any case relies on Jon going from Dragonstone to Eastwatch, an expedition to the North without knowing where exactly to aim for, a return journey from the North to Eastwatch, again on foot, and dragging a zombie with them, a trip back to Dragonstone, then to King's Landing for a parley,. and then yet another trip back to the North with all of Daenery's army... If we are suddenly to take geographical matters of journey time into consideration as factors into why the characters do or do not certain things, the whole plan is ridiculous and would take years.

2) The whole point of the plan is obviously not just to do it quickly, but obviously for it to be a success as well. GOing back to Winterfell allows Jon to pick up some soldiers for his expedition rather than going off with 7 men on foot.

3) Finally, it's just a matter of characterisation. Jon knows he may very well die, and never see his family again. Fine, he may not want to go to Winterfell to save time. He could at least send a raven to tell his sisters and brother to go and wait for him in a some coastal town, or in EastWatch itself, so that he can meet them again just in case he never returns.

I guess I'm just being ironic with my question, because I know there's no real 'answer'. I'm just annoyed how the show has thrown any internal logic out the window, about what the characters would really do in the context they are in, in order to fanboyish force 'what if' action set pieces.

Archived